Doc Appleby - first name?

MaryAnne

Okay, y'all I got a question. Did Doc Appleby have a first name that we know of? I ask becase I mention it in a story I've been posting and I've had him in other stories before but even I can't remember if I ever used a first name for him! LOL I can't remember for sure one being used on the show so I thought I'd toss the question out there to all y'all in the know!

There is a name that comes to mind but...I wanna see what y'all think first.

Thanks!

For some reason Homer sounds right to me its the only name though that comes to mind and I'm not positive that it was used for Doc Appleby.

I'm not disagreeing with you BL, but Homer was Dr. Willis the dentist's first name. Would they have had 2 doctors called Homer?. As I said, I not disagreeing because I can't think of a better answer.

According to my notebook (which was compiled by watching each episode one year, double checking by watching each episode the next year and triple checked by watching each episode the third year.....SERIOUSLY)......

Doc Petticord's first name was Henry.

The dentist was Homer Willis.

Doc Carney's first name was Ronald.

Doc Appleby was not given a first name.

Doc Peterson was not given a first name.

Notes:

Surprisingly Doc Appleby didn't appear until season 4 (Coltrane vs Duke).

Doc Carney is the one who thought Boss was dying (The Late J.D. Hogg).

Doc Petticord was the first doctor on the show (season 1 Double Sting)

Doc Peterson was from season 5 (Farewell Hazzard).

Wow Rog, you're one big book of Dukes knowledge!

It's funny, I could remember all of the "Docs", but I totally forgot they even had first names, except for Homer.

That's nuts.

I'll take credit for writing it down but I don't deserve much credit for knowing it. Since Hoss has taken over the trivia thread I've proven that I'm NOT the most knowledgable fan on the HazzardNet. (Although I'd be in the running for the most passionate award).

I've often wondered if anyone on the planet has ever seen more episodes than me....of course we'll never know the answer to that one. I just wish I remembered the details as well as I used to...without having to consult my notebook.

I guess I have an excuse for the memory thing, having turned 50 this year...LOL

I though Doc Appleby was given a first name, I thought I'd heard Jesse call him by the name Amos before??

Hmmm... This should be investigated. I feel like MAYBEa name may have been mentioned once... But then again, that would be totally wrong. Either way, some of the notes that have been posted here already are extremely informative. And people here definitely do their research!

But you just never know, sometimes things do pop up that may otherwise have gone unnoticed in the past.

Please don't assume I have the answers without writing them down and double checking them :).

Hey Hoss, what I meant was....since some folks come up with trivia answers better than I do, they're smarter.....

I didn't mean that you thought were smarter than me because you took over the trivia thread.....

LOL.....just thought I'd clear up my poor choice of words

• 1 year later...

I never could find a first name for Doc Appleby neither but in my fanfics I gave him the first name of Irving. It just seemed to fit as I was writing.

Now I want to confirm one thing as well. It was my understanding that Mabel was the madam from "Daisy's Song" and Maybelle was the telephone operator that also just happened to be Boss's cousin. There are a lot of sites out there that have contradictory views on this subject so I figured that I'd ask the "Hazzard Experts" so that I'm not wrong if I point out such discrepancies. The operators were Maybelle and Gussie/Gussy weren't they? Just making sure. After all, if I'm wrong I'd like to go and fix it in my own fics.

Edited by JadedPhoenixBurning

Now I want to confirm one thing as well. It was my understanding that Mabel was the madam from "Daisy's Song" and Maybelle was the telephone operator that also just happened to be Boss's cousin. There are a lot of sites out there that have contradictory views on this subject so I figured that I'd ask the "Hazzard Experts" so that I'm not wrong if I point out such discrepancies. The operators were Maybelle and Gussie/Gussy weren't they? Just making sure. After all, if I'm wrong I'd like to go and fix it in my own fics.

I'll try to give a definitive answer, but please excuse me if I leave anything out. The original telephone operator was played by Lindsay Bloom. Her character's name seems to vary from one episode to another.

In 'The Meeting' she is called "Maybelle" in the dialog, but credited as "Myrtle".

In 'Dukes Meet Cale Yarborough' she is revealed to be Boss's "cousin Maybelle", which is confirmed in 'Mason Dixon's Girls'. In both episodes she is credited "Myrtle Tillingham".

Mabel1.jpg

The only time I can find her refered to as "Myrtle" in the dialog is when Jesse answers the phone in 'The Runaway'.

By 'The Late J.D. Hogg' in season 3 her name still sounds like "Maybelle" but the spelling has become "Mabel" and she is named as "Mabel Tillingham" in the credits.

Mabel2.jpg

They did seem to be fond of the name; you're right about the "Mobile Madame" of 'Daisy's Song' being "Ms. Mabel", and Emery Potter married a girl called "Mabel Wooster".

The telephone operator in season 5 was "Gussie Peabody", played by Annie O'Donnell.

• 4 months later...
Here's another inconsistancy: Uncls Jessie's wife's name! She was referred to as " Aunt Lovinia and as Martha!

Actually, when Martha was mentioned she wasn't actually called his wife. We just have a name and that it was hard for him when she died. I friend has started to write a story where Martha is explain away as being Jesse's daughter which fits since she was careful to not say anything that could be contradicted in the canon. Its always just assumed that she was his wife. Yes, we know that the writers just slipped but it's nice to not break the forth wall when trying to keep everything all lined up.

Besides, I like the idea of Lavinia and Jesse having a kid. They made great parents for our favorite cousins. Why shouldn't they have had a kid of their own.

Here's another inconsistancy: Uncls Jessie's wife's name! She was referred to as " Aunt Lovinia and as Martha!

In the third season Jesse said his wife was Martha.

His wife named Lavinia is mentioned in the 5th, 6th and 7th seasons.

In the second season (Return of the Ridge Raiders) Jesse mentioned Aunt Lavinia but that's a different person.

In "Treasure of Hazzard" (second season) Martha Duke is mentioned also but it's a different Martha since it was 1762.

I like to think that Jesse's wife was named Martha Lavinia Duke and sometimes Jesse called her by her middle name.