Swamp Molly's Pickup

HossC

This is the other project I started around the same time as Daisy's Jeep. It's Swamp Molly's 1946 Chevrolet 1/2 ton pickup. The same truck also appeared (slightly more distressed) a few episodes later in 'Deputy Dukes'. I could continue adding rust and primer well into the new year, but I've decided to call it finished :).

I still love muscle cars, but I've started to really like these curvy pickups from the '40s and '50s. I'm thinking of doing a restored version of this one, so watch this space ;).

SwampMolly1.jpg

SwampMolly2.jpg

Has anyone else noticed that Swamp Molly's truck is missing the cap on the gas tank?. If you watch at the end of the episode when Jesse and Alice are driving back from the lake, you can clearly see the gas splashing out and covering the rear fender. I only noticed when I was collecting reference photos - I've included a couple below. I'll have to add gas cap to my list of parts required for the restoration, along with passenger window, rear window, hubcaps, front emblem etc. :).

SwampMollyGas1.jpg

SwampMollyGas2.jpg

Has anyone else noticed that Swamp Molly's truck is missing the cap on the gas tank?. If you watch at the end of the episode when Jesse and Alice are driving back from the lake, you can clearly see the gas splashing out and covering the rear fender. I only noticed when I was collecting reference photos - I've included a couple below. I'll have to add gas cap to my list of parts required for the restoration, along with passenger window, rear window, hubcaps, front emblem etc. :).

SwampMollyGas1.jpg

SwampMollyGas2.jpg

I actually did notice this the last time I watched the episode... but only the time that was captured in your first picture...

I had to do a double-take to figure out what the heck was going on when I saw that! LOL

The parts have arrived, and the painting's done. Here's my restored version of Swamp Molly's pickup. I decided to go for a bright red finish with whitewall tires and a wooden enclosure around the bed. I also took a bit of artistic license by assuming that it originally belonged to Rhuebottom's. These old trucks clean up pretty well :).

SwampMolly3.jpg

SwampMolly4.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
It's Swamp Molly's 1946 Chevrolet 1/2 ton pickup. The same truck also appeared (slightly more distressed) a few episodes later in 'Deputy Dukes'.

I noticed later in this thread it was pointed out that the gas cap was missing. I just got done watching "Deputy Dukes". Not only is the gas cap missing, after that episode it doesn't have a driver's side door either. It was busted off during the chase in Springville where the Dukes were running from Rocky Marlow's henchmen.

I jut love this truck. Thanks for telling us the year it was made Hoss. Those older vehicles are tough to tell.

I noticed later in this thread it was pointed out that the gas cap was missing. I just got done watching "Deputy Dukes". Not only is the gas cap missing, after that episode it doesn't have a driver's side door either. It was busted off during the chase in Springville where the Dukes were running from Rocky Marlow's henchmen.

It was strange how the truck popped up again so soon. In 'Deputy Dukes' it just had a hay bale in the back rather than a load of garbage. Also some of the gray paint on the doors had worn off.

Thanks for telling us the year it was made Hoss. Those older vehicles are tough to tell.

I found two internet sites that named it as a '46. From what I've read the '41 was the first year of this style and had a few unique features. Some changes were made for the '42, then very few civilian models were sold between '43 and '45 due to WWII. During this time the chrome parts were just painted over. Normal service resumed in '46.

• 2 months later...