Past or Present?

RogerDuke

Here's a question for you folks.

Whenever I watch an old TV show from the late 70s or early 80s I always feel a little nostalgic about television from that era.

However, when I watch the Dukes, I don't feel nostalgic at all. Since my love of the Dukes hasn't faded since it originally aired it still feels just as new and exciting as it always did.

Of course I'm 50 years old. A lot of you folks here are younger....well....maybe all you folks are younger...LOL

Anyway, here's my question. When you watch the Dukes does it feel like you're watching an old show?

I don't feel its an old show. One of my other favorites, Emergency!, when I watch it and laugh sometimes at the things that happens. Seeing that is was done in the early '70s and a lot of the clothes and things were hilarious!

So Roger, even though, yes I'm a younger person, Dukes does not seem old to me! It will always be timeless!

I'm the middle man, er woman, I suppose.

Being from the south, when I watch it, I don't exactly feel it's an oldies considering I see what they do (speed traps, corrupt politics, moonshine runs, etc.) every day. The only thing I don't see is the '69 chargers and Furies and what have you on the road, like Meadow. :p

that being said, I also get this feeling of nostalgia that washes over me when I watch anything from back then. The music, t.v shows, anything that my mom grew up watching or listening to, is what she raised me up on. But of course, I guess we all take a few days sometimes to look back and see just exactly HOW much we've grown and gotten older.

Thanks for putting such thought into these great responses folks.

Since it's not unusual to see a car running around in modern times that's older, I don't think too much about the show being older when I see a old car or two or three. However when they show scenes in town (especially in the Goeorgia episodes) I do think about the show's age since you never see that many old cars in one place anymore....except a car show of course.

• 4 months later...

I don't think of the cars or anything else from when I was a kid as being old. Things which were well before my time; I think of those things as old (i.e., stuff from the '40s and '50s and earlier; my father's time).

Technically, a '69 Charger is before my time (made 6 years before I was born), but the body style was still contemporary when I was a kid; and there were still plenty of late '60s and '70s cars on the road when I first saw the Dukes of Hazzard in '79 or '80. The 2nd generation Chargers were ahead of their time in styling in my opinion; it could have come out in the mid-to-late '70s and it would have seemed current. The 1st generation Chargers on the other hand, looked "old-fashioned" to me even when I was a kid.

I do have a sense of nostalgia when watching the show, or my other favorite show from the '80s, Magnum P.I., but I'm nostalgic about most things I liked as a kid; it is not that I think the show hasn't aged well.