The Ghost of General Lee

Hi ya'll! I am currently watching this episode as I am writing this and I have a question for ya'll. The very first time I watched this episode, I cried with Enos when the General went into the pond. Even though I knew good and well the boys hadn't died. I just couldn't take Enos crying, it broke me. I laugh at myself now, but did any one else do the same?

Hi ya'll! I am currently watching this episode as I am writing this and I have a question for ya'll. The very first time I watched this episode, I cried with Enos when the General went into the pond. Even though I knew good and well the boys hadn't died. I just couldn't take Enos crying, it broke me. I laugh at myself now, but did any one else do the same?

No, because the first time I saw the episode, I'd already had the expectation of a happy ending. But it was cool seeing Enos and Rosco showing emotion like that. I always loved it when the Dukes of Hazzard got a little edgy. Like when Bo and Luke had fights, or characters (like Daisy) got upset and made hard decisions, like moving away from home. Those touches of drama were well-played when they were there.

Back to your question. While I didn't cry, I'm pretty sure that Meadowmufn and MaryAnne cried buckets.

How about the first time you saw Bo and Luke fighting each other in an episode, like seriously mad? I always loved the Carnival of Thrills scene where Bo throws the first punch and it's on. They threw each other around pretty good, it was realistic.

I had a friend who hated that scene. She couldn't stand to see them fighting. The scene where Bo leaves home made it worse. (note, the DVD shows a lot more to this scene than what's made it on cable over the years.)

Thoughts?

• 1 month later...
I was just watching this episode on video. When J.D.'s white convertible comes to a stop in the mud, J.D. gets on the CB and starts hollering "Rosco. Rosco. This is J.P. Hogg." Did anyone else notice that he said "J.P. Hogg" or were my ears playing tricks on me?

You heard it?! You heard it too?! LOL. Yep, I certainly heard J.P. Hogg. Makes ya wonder if Sorrell just misspoke, there was typo in the script, or Boss just wishes he was as rich as J.P. Morgan. LOL!

You heard it?! You heard it too?! LOL. Yep, I certainly heard J.P. Hogg. Makes ya wonder if Sorrell just misspoke, there was typo in the script, or Boss just wishes he was as rich as J.P. Morgan. LOL!

Maybe Sorrell [or his character Boss Hogg] had to use the bathroom so bad that he said "J.P. Hogg" instead of "J.D. Hogg" and no one noticed the P instead of D until after the episode first aired.

Here's something I always wondered. Maybe you know MM. Was Jaye P. Morgan from the Gong Show a daughter or grandaughter of J.P. or no relation?

Well Roger, according to both Wikipedia and IMDb, she 'began to be called "J.P." in 1947 when she was class treasurer of her high school (a reference to financier John Pierpont Morgan)'. Neither mentions any relationship between them.

• 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...

There's definitely a person in the jail cell in that scene. They are wearing a light-colored shirt and a cowboy hat, and spend their whole time on screen with their head lolling down in their lap. I don't remember any reference being made to this person, and Enos doesn't seem to include them in the food order. A while later when we see Enos take the phone call from Daisy the person is no longer visible, but we don't get to see the whole cell that time.

JailCell0206.jpg

• 1 year later...

Whilst I haven't cried at the scene, as it takes a lot to make my ol' eyes start a watering*, it is definitely one of the most emotional sequences in the entire show's run.

* - Much to my annoyance sometimes!

James Best has named it as one of his favourite moments, and similiarly, the sequence with himself with Enos waiting to snare the Dukes in one of the very first episodes, "Repo Men", discussing how he turned corrupt after being cheated out of his pension, is equally as moving (and a classic case of the funniest of clowns being able to give the most serious of performances). 'Course, as the show and it's characters evolved, this theme of Rosco's cheated pension and his 'corruptness', was soon forgotten by the end of the first season (and ironically, despite Jimmy sometimes calling it his "favourite scene from the show", is/was usually edited out of syndicated re-runs in the US for timing reasons).

Whilst we're on the subject of "The Ghost of General Lee", am I the only one who actually felt disappointed by the final act of the episode? Sure, the "ghost" of the General is a fun idea and the overall 'gimmick' of the episode, but against what is otherwise one of the most dramatic and emotional stories of the entire 145 episode run, to suddenly flip into a cartoony outcome always felt to let the episode down slightly to me. It would have been great in another episode, but for such a classic episode, I always felt that a more emotional and pleasing outcome was deserved. Maybe I'm alone on that one.

• 2 years later...

Just got done watching it again. It was interesting going through these old posts. I never cried when Enos was emerging from the pond crying but I think this is the first time I didn't cry while Rosco was telling Jesse, Daisy and Cooter the boys were dead. Seeing old Jesse with tears streaming down both his cheeks is tough though.

Edited by RogerDuke

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 1:20 PM, Boss JD Hogg said:

Here's a picture of the General Lee from 'The Ghost Of General Lee'.  It was actually a white Charger.  The orange glow was added in post production.

The Ghost Of General Lee.jpg

Wow! I never knew!! Thanks a lot Boss! Hey, I have a question for everybody.......What kind of car did Gaylord Duke drive in "Duke of a Duke?