Commercials

Garrett Duke

• 1 month later...

For the Christmas season I thought I'd do a roundup of anti drink-driving commercials from around the world. A couple of them are quite shocking - I make no apologies.

I'll start with the one that gave me the idea. It's been shown on UK TV for the last few years, and features a barman acting out a possible scenario.

I think this one from Ireland is possibly the hardest hitting. It's also been around for a few years.

Here's an Australian take on the subject. It's not one I know - it just came up as one of the suggestions in YouTube.

This US commercial dates back to the '80s, and I'm sure I remember seeing it on a UK TV show about commercials from other countries.

For the last one, I'm heading back to the UK. Unlike the others, this was specifically targeted at summertime drink-driving (the soundtrack is Mungo Jerry's 'In The summertime'), but the message is the same. I think this is the only commercial to show blood!

If they remade Dukes today, I think there would be some changes. Boss probably wouldn't have his cigar, seatbelts would be worn by everyone rather than just Flash and people riding in Dixie, and I don't think the laissez-faire attitude to drink-driving would be allowed. Of course, I'm speaking as someone outside the US, so your views may be different. I just can't imagine that we'd find a drunk-driver like old Hobie so amusing nowadays.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another commercial that could help to save a life, although this one is a little more light-hearted than the drink-drive ones above. The British Heart Foundation no longer recommends giving mouth-to-mouth in the event of cardiac arrest. The new advice is to pump the chest hard and fast. To promote this technique they enlisted soccer-hardman-turned-actor Vinnie Jones (and the Bee Gees).

OK I think I probably have posted this commercial before...if not, I should have. If I have, I apologize, but love this commercial and have to post it...perhaps it has something to do with that it reminds me of something I would do. LOL

69 more days until the Daytona 500...or ten more Sundays. Either way...much too long for this 24 fan. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure y'all know that us Brits need a good cup of tea before we'll do anything, so what happens when we visit the US of A? Yorkshire Tea had the answer when they sent over Little Urn in a converted ice cream van to rescue Brits from terrible tea. They even included a special blend to cope with the hard water in Nevada:

• 2 weeks later...
Garrett Duke said:
Just for you Hoss . . . :innocent:

Thanks - I liked it, apart from the music :).

If you like Coke you should go back to the classic 1971 commercial which later became a full-length song for the New Seekers:

For anyone on a post-Christmas diet, how about a Diet Coke commercial featuring music by Etta James (who sadly passed away a year ago this coming Sunday):

That was a good one Hoss, but do believe I got one a bit better than your's. Then again, my opinion is biased...

Yep this has gotta be the best commercial ever...has to be where they got the whole idea of "Cars" from. After all, this had to have been taken way before the first "Cars" movie was even thought of.

As for your Coke statement, Hoss, I am not a fan of Coke products (Sprite is OK). I prefer Diet Pepsi or Dr. Pepper if Diet Pepsi is not an option. ;)

Happy Australia Day to Susan and any other HNet members from Down Under. The following commercial was shown on a UK TV program last night because A) the host is an Aussie (Adam Hills), and B) it's funny, and shows a type of commercial we don't really have in the UK and Ireland.

Now a word of warning: Dick Smith made this commercial as a bit of fun for Australia Day, but the TV networks decided it was too rude for its alloted time slot. If you're likely to offended by a little innuendo based on the owner's first name, don't watch it!

• 2 weeks later...

There was an awesome commercial during the Super Bowl that nearly had me in tears it was so emotional. Maybe some of you folks with computer skills can figure out how to post a link to it here.

It was a tribute to farmers by the late great Paul Harvey (famous for radio's "The Rest of the Story")

Not only that but it was advertising Dodge trucks....something that wasn't revealed until the last second of the long commercial. And us folks here on the HazzardNet sure love vehicles made by Dodge, especially a certain orange car.

There was an awesome commercial during the Super Bowl that nearly had me in tears it was so emotional. Maybe some of you folks with computer skills can figure out how to post a link to it here.

It was a tribute to farmers by the late great Paul Harvey (famous for radio's "The Rest of the Story")

Not only that but it was advertising Dodge trucks....something that wasn't revealed until the last second of the long commercial. And us folks here on the HazzardNet sure love vehicles made by Dodge, especially a certain orange car.

I miss being able to hear Paul Harvey on the radio. That one and the one with the Clydesdale got me misty.

"Farmer" -

Clydesdales "Brotherhood" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=o2prAccclXs

The Super Bowl was broadcast here on the BBC, so we didn't get any commercials with it, let alone the big money ones that traditionally accompany it in the US. I had a look around the internet this morning, and it seems like you picked out two of the best.

It may tell you something about the way my mind works, but the Budweiser commercial reminded me of an old (1996) award-winning commercial that also features an animal with a long memory:

OK, it's not as heart-warming, but it is funny.

I think we can probably all agree that the worst commercial was the GoDaddy one. *hurl* Disgusting potential customers is not a great way to drum up business.

I've just looked that one up, and it's pretty bad (although I'm available if they're making a sequel ;)).

• 1 month later...

Well I agree...the GoDaddy SUperbowl commercial was super gross and one I would rather forget about.

With that said I am posting what is probably the BEST commercial ever MADE. Think I may have posted it before, but it's too good not to post. It cracks me up...

Love the whole commercial but I think the best part is with Jeff Gordon trying to change the tire. :lol:

My wife showed me this on the computer yesterday. It was hilarious. I think that the salesman was just an actor though. There's no way Pepsi would have risked a multi-million dollar lawsuit and a ton of bad publicity if he would have died of a heart attack. If he wasn't a professional actor he must have been in on it and signed a disclaimer. Still, funnny, funny, funny! I thought of you through the whole thing Garrett.

My wife showed me this on the computer yesterday. It was hilarious. I think that the salesman was just an actor though. There's no way Pepsi would have risked a multi-million dollar lawsuit and a ton of bad publicity if he would have died of a heart attack. If he wasn't a professional actor he must have been in on it and signed a disclaimer. Still, funnny, funny, funny! I thought of you through the whole thing Garrett.

I take it you are talking about the car salesman Jeff Gordon test drive...yeah he had to have been in on it. Because it could have backfired on him real bad...but it was still funny all the same. Thanks Roger. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I see that now Lewis Hamilton has changed teams, Tony Stewart is doing his Mobil 1 commercials with Lewis's former team mate, Jenson Button:

I'm hoping they do one where Jenson gets the upper hand, because he really does compete in triathlons, and does very well in them.

HossC said:

I see that now Lewis Hamilton has changed teams, Tony Stewart is doing his Mobil 1 commercials with Lewis's former team mate, Jenson Button:

I'm hoping they do one where Jenson gets the upper hand, because he really does compete in triathlons, and does very well in them.

Dang you too Hoss...I was just about to post this one. Beat me to it. LOL ;) Stewart may not run in triathlons...but there is a few NASCAR drivers who do. Like Jimmie Johnson! :) And do believe JJ does well in them as well...does well in them as well. ;)