Astronomy

RogerDuke

Is anybody here into astronomy? I've been an amateur astronomer for 15 years. There's going to be a pretty good meteor show tonight. If you live in a city you will only be able to see the really bright ones because bright artificial lights drown them out. Of course if it's cloudy you're out of luck no matter where you live. Hopefully somebody besides me will get to check out the show.

I have tomorrow off and I've been planning all day to stay up to watch. I conked out too early last night. :( Not too much light pollution out here so unless we have clouds roll in, should be some good viewing. I haven't seen a good meteor shower since the meteor shower camping party I organized some 8 or 9 years ago.

I bet you're talking about the meteor storm on Nov 16 2001. I say "storm" and not shower because it was the show of a lifetime. After seeing that one, anything else is boring by comparison. Last night's shower didn't produce as many meteors as I was hoping but I got my telescope out and looked at star clusters and galaxies just for fun. The problem with looking at other things with a telescope is you occasionally miss an extra bright meteor while you're preoccupied. Tonight will also have more meteors than a normal night but if folks didn't get out last night they missed the majority of them.

Well I missed the shower, but did hear someone at work talking about it. They are fun/interesting to watch. Am not big into astronomy myself, though do keep up with when there is a full moon. A week before the full moon is when the kids at work start acting up the most ;) so I do tend to take note when the full moon is, especially when having a hard day at work.