Signs of Hazzard

HossC

Hey Hoss how bout a welcome to hazzard county sign. :)

I actually did a small version of the welcome sign for the profile picture on the Facebook page recently. That was inspired by a screengrab posted by MaryAnne in this thread. I made the word "HAZZARD" slightly bolder on that because of the size. Here's a larger, more accurate version:

WelcomeToHazzard.jpg

I found another appearance of the sign in 'Daisy's Song', but again we don't see it particularly closely. I think there's a good chance it was the same sign in a different location.

WelcomeToHazzard0102.jpg

• 1 month later...

There seemed to some disappointment that Hazzard didn't have a fancier welcome sign, so I thought I'd fix that. Also, amongst the current speculation about the possible censorship of the General's flag I felt we needed a positive image to remind us why we're here!

Welcome.jpg

• 4 months later...

Over Christmas I decided to reproduce the sign from the Genetic Research lab in 'Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Duke'. The typeface was meant to look like a computer readable font - a kind of '80s shorthand to show science or computer related things, although this example shows little consistency. There are variations between the two lines, and even the same letter when it's repeated on a line (I've regularized my version a little). I think a computer would've had a hard time reading it back in the mid '80s :).

GeneticResearch.jpg

Here's how it looked in the show.

Genetic0703.jpg

• 1 year later...
Fabulously done Hoss. :D

Did Hazzard have actually something similar to thing? If my memory serves me right there was one time a sign saying "You are now leaving Hazzard".

No, I don't mean the sign saying "County Line".

Thanks, Roth. The only one that I already have a screengrab of is from 'Cool Hands, Luke & Bo'.

LeavingHazzard0707.jpg

The original Las Vegas sign says "Drive Carefully Come Back Soon".

• 1 year later...

Hey Hoss,

I like the signs im not looking to remake them to sell I want to make some full size billboards for my garage would like your help. I have been on the confed site since 02 and been in this longer than that I have a charger and rosco car als obeen to GA and cali many times for all the film sites im just looking to do some signs me not to sell to profit off your work.

help a fellow duke out Thanks Martin.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

Hey Hoss - I'm digging the Boars Nest graphic.  Did you post the original anywhere?  I'd love to have a gigantic vinyl of that made and need it a bit larger in order to do so - let me know man.  Assuming you have an .ai or .eps file?  I have tried to recreate but you are more talented than I am.

6 hours ago, Bryce said:

Hey Hoss - I'm digging the Boars Nest graphic.  Did you post the original anywhere?  I'd love to have a gigantic vinyl of that made and need it a bit larger in order to do so - let me know man.  Assuming you have an .ai or .eps file?  I have tried to recreate but you are more talented than I am.

Welcome to HNet, Bryce. Thanks for your comments - I'm glad you enjoy my work.

A few years ago I shared my Boar's Nest artwork with someone claiming they wanted to make a banner for their son's birthday. Soon afterwards, I spotted my artwork popping up across the internet. Even my posted bitmaps are being ripped off - since Christmas I've found a diecast company using my Dixie artwork to promote a new model, and an ebay seller using my artwork to sell paper models of various Dukes vehicles - all without permission. On the plus side, I have also shared artwork with HNet members for various personal projects, and felt honored when I saw the results.

Because of the above, I made the decision not to share high quality (vector) versions of my artwork with people I don't know. If you stick around and show us that you're a genuine fan of the show, I'll reconsider. Sorry, but once you've been burned...

On 2/5/2020 at 3:07 PM, HossC said:

Welcome to HNet, Bryce. Thanks for your comments - I'm glad you enjoy my work.

A few years ago I shared my Boar's Nest artwork with someone claiming they wanted to make a banner for their son's birthday. Soon afterwards, I spotted my artwork popping up across the internet. Even my posted bitmaps are being ripped off - since Christmas I've found a diecast company using my Dixie artwork to promote a new model, and an ebay seller using my artwork to sell paper models of various Dukes vehicles - all without permission. On the plus side, I have also shared artwork with HNet members for various personal projects, and felt honored when I saw the results.

Because of the above, I made the decision not to share high quality (vector) versions of my artwork with people I don't know. If you stick around and show us that you're a genuine fan of the show, I'll reconsider. Sorry, but once you've been burned...

That sucks Hoss. On the internet these days nothing is safe, there's always someone out there that would rather take your work and pass it off as theirs instead of doing it themselves.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I may be the only visitor to this great site who actually knew Boss Hogg. Well, in truth I knew Sorrell Booke, who created the character and played him. Sorrell was my best friend's big brother: extremely intelligent, very funny. He was a US Army Counter Intelligence Corps officer. No one I have ever known owned and read more books than Sorrell. He was also a master craftsman who could build anything.  And he was really nice. My daughter celebrated her ninth birthday with a group of her girlfriends. Sorrell called her to wish her a happy birthday. Her friends were amazed!