Ray Kohn's Dukes Show

5 hours ago, Hobie Harkins said:

Hey, I have a question about the shows in Ohio and other Yankee states....Do they have the Rebel flag on the top of the General? 

Yes, and they wave them at their shows. They also have them on the clothes they sell. They believe that it stands for southern pride and is a symbol of the greatest show ever to be on a television screen. I wear my Northeast Ohio Dukes shirt in public up here and it has a Rebel flag on it and I have never had any problems. The General Lee is the most famous car in the world and any reasonable person understands that fans of the show don't like it because they're racist. They like it because it's (I think I already mentioned this) the greatest show ever to be on a television screen. 

Well, no surprise here...Ray and his staff put on another fantastic Dukes event. Of course this one was a little different. I arrived at 6:00 and the first person I bumped into was my favorite stuntman, Mike. We talked outside the building for awhile, catching up on life in general. It was good to see him again after that scare he gave me at the last stunt show. But tonight wasn't a stunt show so it was nice to know I didn't have to worry about any of my friends getting scuffed up. It was the premier of Ray's movie so the only danger was slipping on spilled popcorn. 

I walked into the massive ballroom amazed at it's size. Scattered in different places was the General Lee, Daisy's Jeep, and two patrol cars, (Rosco's and Big Ed's). The Bandit and KITT were also there. It was $15 to get in (it would have been cheaper if I would have bought it in advance). I got my hand stamped and immediately went over to check out the General. Byron Cherry was nearby so I waited for the people who were talking to him to leave and went over. I had met him in 2014 and he behaved the same this time. He is super friendly, talkative and high energy. Like Enos (who was at Ray's stunt show last year) he is also a southern gentleman....born in Atlanta....and is very easy to talk to. You immediately feel relaxed around him. I asked a lot of questions, like what it was like when he first found out he was going to be a Duke boy, if he ever witnessed any stunts (he watched 6), what were his other hobbies and interests, his friendships with cast members other acting jobs, etc etc. Thankfully I got the time with him I was hoping for. 

Before the movie I chatted with other stunt show folks and fans and made some new friends along the way. Then, the main event. Byron spoke to the crowd and the movie began. It is called "Stuntlife, the Wild Ride". It is the story of Ray and the stunt crew and his family. It was made by Highway Pictures and directed by Aj Satterfield. Only one word is needed to sum it up..."WOW!....I'll use more though. It's an hour and a half long and was so professionally made it is no different than any high quality made movie you'd see in a theater. I'll skip the details of how well made it was but it was truly perfect in every way. Highway Pictures is one class act. Sonny Shroyer, Tom Wopat and Byron also make appearances in it. I think my favorite part was Ray showing and describing each of his 22 General Lee jumps, and adding if he was hurt and where. I think they all were shown from more than one camera angle...some from several angles. Every time he said he wasn't hurt on a particular one I felt a sigh of relief.  I've only seen a few so it was really cool to have a collection of them in order. (I bought the DVD before I left). Then there was the stunts of the other drivers. Some of them were pretty detailed and others were just quick scenes. The music that went with all the jumps and stunts was amazing. Everybody who was anybody with the stunt show was interviewed with the corresponding stunt and others behind the scenes got their well deserved moment or moments of fame....and there were many. The issue of safety was also discussed by several show members. The tribute Ray gave to his father was a tearjerker. When a man, like Ray who is larger than life, gets emotional on the big screen everybody in the place does too, especially me, since his dad was my favorite....no surprise there...he played Uncle Jesse, my favorite. Thankfully I spent a lot of time before and after the show talking to Dean, the new guy who plays Uncle Jesse. He's not new to Ray though. They've known each other a long time. In fact we talked so long most everybody had left and the crew members were driving the vehicles out. Then, as I walked to my car I bumped into Ray securing Daisy's Jeep onto the trailer and thanked him for all he's done. If ever there was a true Duke boy it's Ray Kohn. 

Keep an eye on their website but I think he is planning something new....a Bandit jump... in south-central Pennsylvania on June 22. Next will likely be a Dukes event in August in Virginia. In the meantime if you live too far away I highly recommend you go to his website and buy "Stuntlife." You have my promise you will not be disappointed. I laughed. I cried. I yelled YEEHAWW a lot. You will too. 

15 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

I walked into the massive ballroom amazed at it's size. Scattered in different places was the General Lee, Daisy's Jeep, and two patrol cars, (Rosco's and Big Ed's). The Bandit and KITT were also there.

Thanks for posting about this, Roger. There's pictures of the cars on display before the show on the NEOD Facebook page. I'm not sure why Byron is wearing one of their "Wannabe Duke Boy" T-shirts when he actually was one!

23 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Yes, and they wave them at their shows. They also have them on the clothes they sell. They believe that it stands for southern pride and is a symbol of the greatest show ever to be on a television screen. I wear my Northeast Ohio Dukes shirt in public up here and it has a Rebel flag on it and I have never had any problems. The General Lee is the most famous car in the world and any reasonable person understands that fans of the show don't like it because they're racist. They like it because it's (I think I already mentioned this) the greatest show ever to be on a television screen. 

FINALLY !! ...Some people that realize that the war wasn't about slavery, the South isn't a bunch of racists etc., etc.! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Here you go, Roger. More details at www.northeastohiodukes.net .

The first show is August 7-9 at the National Trail Raceway, 2650 National Rd. SW, Hebron, OH 43025 - see advert below.
Meet Luke and Daisy. They will be performing a Sheriff Rosco car turnover on the 7th and the General Lee flies on the 8th!

The second show is August 23 at Upper Peninsula State Fairgrounds, 2401 12th Avenue North, Escanaba, MI 49829.
2 pm FULL SHOW on the 23rd - no more info at the moment.

social-1_orig.jpg

I'm surprised the show is THAT popular up North...I mean we have Brother Spike,  Brother Roger and a few others , but to be THAT popular, up there, that you could attract enough people to put on a show???? WOW!   :o

Also, I've noticed on some of the recordings, etc. after the show ended, they wouldn't have all 3 ( Bo, Luke, Daisy) at the same time. Usually it was just Bo ( John Schneider) and Daisy ( Catherine Bach). Anybody know why? Now it seems, just Luke and Daisy! ( I'm surprised because John needs the money!)  :D

Edited by Hobie Harkins

On 4/15/2020 at 3:55 PM, Hobie Harkins said:

I'm surprised the show is THAT popular up North...I mean we have Brother Spike,  Brother Roger and a few others , but to be THAT popular, up there, that you could attract enough people to put on a show???? WOW!   :o

Also, I've noticed on some of the recordings, etc. after the show ended, they wouldn't have all 3 ( Bo, Luke, Daisy) at the same time. Usually it was just Bo ( John Schneider) and Daisy ( Catherine Bach). Anybody know why? Now it seems, just Luke and Daisy! ( I'm surprised because John needs the money!)  :D

Ohio is mostly farmland country, there's only about 6 major metropolitan areas, maybe 7. Though before the coronavirus developers around here were buying up farmland like there was no tomorrow to build ugly drab "luxury" apartments, condo townhomes, single family home subdivisions. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if they didn't paint them all the same boring depressing gray color.

On 4/15/2020 at 3:55 PM, Hobie Harkins said:

I wasn't exactly a nation-wide traveler back then but I have been a Dukes super fan for over 40 years so I've paid pretty close attention. It seemed like the appeal of the Dukes was spread pretty evenly throughout the country. It was also timed pretty well since it came after a small surge of Smokey and the Bandit style movies that were so popular. Things always go in trends in society. Then they fade away and come back again. Since the world has gotten so complicated I can see another Dukes style show succeeding again. Folks are craving simplicity. What surprised me at the time was the popularity of Dukes in Europe although I think it took longer to hit its peak. 

• 3 months later...

Roger Duke... OMG... Was it 2010? If so, I was there. Truck Night 2010 was my first ever Dukes/Ray Kohn show/experience. I met a nice man who asked my mom "What size does he wear?" She told him. In a few minutes later, the man came back with a NEOD t-shirt in my size that he bought for me. It was a spectacular show. I was a little scared for Ray to make the jump in that horrific heavy down pour though. I was worried for his safety you know. The gentleman who later bought me the shirt, had also at the beginning got me front row seating for the whole show! He was such a nice great gentleman! It was an experience I will never forget. I felt like I was on the WB set watching a '79-85 actual original cast episode being made right before my very own eyes. It was awesome! I have been to Ray's Dukes show in recent years too on and off. I attended the Brookville PA show a few years back. Anyone who gets or has the chance to go see NEOD do it!!! You won't regret it! It's a very delightful experience! It provides all the ingredients of the formula of the original series and its cast and crew of joy, action, excitement and the family friendly atmosphere of Hazzard County. Roger Duke it felt like I was up on Eagle Point looking down at the action below in Hazzard!!!

Great review Skipper!! Thanks for posting it. July 23,  2010 was my first Northeast Ohio Dukes show so we were there at the same time and it was the first show for both of us. Earlier that year (Jan 24)  I met Sonny Shroyer for the first time at the Canton Ohio Auto Show. That's the first time I met Ray Kohn and found out about his stunt shows. 

21 minutes ago, RogerDuke said:

Great review Skipper!! Thanks for posting it. July 23,  2010 was my first Northeast Ohio Dukes show so we were there at the same time and it was the first show for both of us. Earlier that year (Jan 24)  I met Sonny Shroyer for the first time at the Canton Ohio Auto Show. That's the first time I met Ray Kohn and found out about his stunt shows. 

Roger... Wow very cool! And I was glad to write my review. Luckily it was still here. I didn't have to rewrite it. I just came back here and saved it. What happened was I had forgot to hit the Submit Reply button the first time.

• 9 months later...

Here you go, Roger:

Their first show is tomorrow (June 5th) at Beckley Motorsports Park, WV with a chance to meet Byron Cherry.

For August 13th-15th they'll be at the 40th Annual Mopar Nationals at the National Trail Raceway, Columbus, OH. Tom and Cathy will be at this one.

The last show they currently have listed is August 22nd at the Upper Peninsula State Fair, MI.

Full details at www.northeastohiodukes.net.

• 3 months later...
40 minutes ago, Skipper Duke said:

I bring y'all sad news. For those who may not know. Ray lost his dad Robert Kohn(Bob)a few years ago. Now actor Dean Jaech who has been playing Uncle Jesse has passed away.

My wife said somethig about this, this morning....WHO was he??? I told her there was only ONE Uncle Jesse!