NASCAR news

Garrett Duke

In USA Today (Friday) Jimmie Johnson is complaining that the new rules benefit Dale Junior.

Somebody sat down and figured out that Junior would have been champ in 2013 if they used the new 2014 rules.

According to JJs fans NASCAR doesn't like him winning so much because it makes NASCAR boring.

I heard that too Roger and if that is the real reason behind the change well then...it is even more upsetting. Don't get me wrong, I do like Dale Jr. He is my third favorite driver...but you don't go changing rules just to help one driver. He was the main reason why they pushed the Chase field to twelve drivers. It was originally set at ten drivers but then one year Gordon and Jr didn't make it...so they shoved it to twelve to help Jr out. I get he is the most popular driver...but what ever happened to letting the best guy win? Oh wait...the entire Chase seems to be set against that idea.

And to be honest...that idea came to mind when they first started talking about it...that this was NASCAR's way of trying to dethrone Jimmie Johnson. But personally, I feel like they will fail at it. I think it will take a lot to dethrone Jimmie Johnson and Chad Knaus. Even Richard Petty said that he won his seven championships under several different changes...want to say he said five, but am not sure.

As for the qualifying order, sorry Hoss I didn't get the info correct. I got the general gist of it. I will try better next time. I am sure it does add for some excitement. Especially when drivers start wrecking each other to get the better qualifying run...just my fear of the whole thing. The qualifying change and the chase change. It was bad enough having Bowyer and Waltrip manipulate the points last year...to me it seems NASCAR is just asking for more of that with all this change. My opinion...

Well NASCAR is on a roll with new changes for the 2014 season...and we are only 18 days from the Daytona 500! First it was the rumored change in the Chase, then the change to the qualifying, then the factual change to the Chase...and now this! The way they are going, they might as well as throw everythig away and start all over again! (I say that with a lot of sarcasm if you can't tell. :roll: Don't understand why they have to make such drastic changes all at once like this....)

Anyway the new change is now in their penalty system. (Perhaps this new change will mean that they will be consistant with their penalties and not just throwing it at certain drivers and not others? I can only HOPE!!!! If that is what this change will do, I will be happy. But am not holding my breath on that....)

So I guess they now have a six tier based system to go on. Starting with a warning for first time offenses or minor offenses. Then it goes from one to six...and since I really don't understand it at this time, I will post the link that will explain it more accurately than I would.

NASCAR's new penalty structure (Yahoo.com article)

Personally I really don't know what to think about this new change. Will have to go over it more and watch and see how NASCAR will handle it. If they treat ALL the drivers the same, then great. But what irritates me is when they will penalize one driver and yet won't penalize another driver for doing the same thing or worse.

You can read NASCAR's own article about the new penalties here. They only list a few technical infringements that will result in these new penalties:

The scale of violations escalates through P2 offenses such as hollow components and bracket violations, P3 offenses such as unauthorized parts or coil spring violations, P4 offenses such as unapproved additional weight or devices that circumvent templates, P5 offenses such as oil additives or devices that effect normal air flow, and P6 offenses such as engine modifications or use of nitrous oxide.

The list of penalties can be seen below (Nationwide and Camping Series are virtually the same, but the fines are smaller):

NascarPenalties1.jpg~original

The appeals procedure will now be as follows:

NascarPenalties2.jpg~original

I had a very quick look through the comments in each article, and it looked like most of the Yahoo comments were against the changes, but the ones on NASCAR.com where mixed.

They're going to have a problem because no matter who wins in 2014 everybody will be going back to calculate how that winner would have done under the 2013 rules.

If Dale does win and wouldn't have in 2013 there's going to be an uproar.

This is a great opportunity for Johnson though. If he can win under the new rules as well, his fans will say he deserves to be talked about in the same conversation as Richard Petty and Dale Senior.

• 1 month later...

I haven't mentioned Michael Schumacher for a while, and the reason is that there wasn't any change in his condition. Recently the doctors began the process of bringing him out of his induced coma, and today his family released a statement saying "We are and remain confident that Michael will pull through and will wake up. There sometimes are small, encouraging signs, but we also know that this is the time to be very patient." It's not much, but at least it seems like a bit of positive news. Full story:

Schumacher condition shows 'encouraging signs'

Earlier this week, Texas Motor Speedway announced plans to fit the world's largest HD TV on the backstretch of the track. TMS are working with Panasonic to make a screen that's 218 feet long and 94.6 feet wide, or in other words, nearly 12 stories high and almost 21,000 square feet. All being well, it should be ready for the NASCAR weekend in April. I've saved the best bit 'til last - they're calling it "Big Hoss TV" :).

TMSBigHossTV.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Michael Schumacher's agent released a short statement earlier today as doctors try to bring him out of a medically induced coma. Sabine Kehm said: "He shows moments of consciousness and awakening. It's not much, but it's the best news we've had so far. More info here.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an quick update to the Gene Haas/F1 story that I posted a couple of months ago. F1 has now accepted an entry from NASCAR owner Gene Haas to run a team in the 2015 season. It was mentioned by the commentators during the race on Saturday, but I forgot to post it then. Gene Haas commented "Obviously, we're extremely pleased. It's an exciting time. Now, the really hard work begins."

You are so right Roger...I am going to go CRAZY with no NASCAR. I mean what were they thinking? .... Yeah you are right again. It is for a good cause. But still, what am I going to do without my Hendrick Boys. Or any of NASCAR? You are telling me I am going to have to wait another week to see how this Bowyer/Kurt Busch deal is going to work out? LOL.

Sorry Hoss...I don't know if I'd get up at three to watch a NASCAR race not a lone another sort of racing I really don't watch or know all the rules. At three...I am in bed sleeping. If not, there is something wrong. LOL.

Talking about other sort of racing, Jeff Gordon finally put his six year old daughter in a quarter midget car the other day and let her drive it. Perhaps one day it will be her behind the 24 wheel...LOL. Or his son Leo, who is three at the time (will be four in August).

Well y'all...I got some good news to share with you!!!! ;) Only two more days and I will be cured of this horrible NASCAR withdrawal I've been suffering through the past two weeks. Better yet...we are going night racing at Richmond Saturday night. And more good news...Jeff Gordon is still your points leader!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At least I have been able to hold onto that info the past two weeks...love seeing Gordon's name out on top like that...just be better this year if he had a win alongside his name. But if he keeps racing the way he has...that win is bound to come. Personally, I am hoping it will come Saturday night. But I bet y'all didn't already know that...right? LOL.

(Sorry slow news or anything NASCAR lately and had to post something...LOL)

• 1 month later...

A couple of updates on recent stories:

NASCAR team owner Gene Haas says his new F1 team will not be on the grid for the 2015 season, but they are committed to making it for 2016 - more here. Meanwhile, in a related story, Gene Haas has named Danica Patrick as a "dream driver" for his new F1 team. F1 teams all have two drivers, and he wants one with experience in F1 and an American driver. Danica spent several years racing open-wheeled cars in the IndyCar Series, so she'd certainly make an interesting choice. There hasn't been a female driver in F1 since 1992, but Williams' development driver Susie Wolff is set to drive in two practice sessions this year, and Sauber have said that they'd like their former IndyCar Series driver Simona de Silvestro to compete for them in 2015. More on the Haas/Patrick story can be found here.

There's also news today about seven-times F1 World Champion Michael Schumacher. After no updates for several weeks, he has now been released from hospital in France nearly six months after his skiing accident. A statement says he "is no longer in a coma and has left intensive care". Other reports suggest that he's moved to a hospital in Switzerland (nearer to his family home). Although he is said to be out of his coma, very little has been released about his condition. I just hope that this is the beginning of some long-awaited good news. More info here.

• 1 month later...

Well y'all I got some sad and tragic news to pass on to you all...I am just in shock of it all right now. It is almost three in the morning and yet can't go to sleep because my mind will not let go of it all.

Tony Stewart was racing in the Sprint Series near where Watkins Glen is at when he got into an altercation on the track with 17 year old Kevin Ward Jr. that had brought out the yellow flag. Ward Jr. got upset at Stewart and got out of his sprint car and was yelling at Stewart when Stewart went by and Stewart ran Ward Jr. over. Ward was announced dead on arrival at the hospital.

Stewart is now being investigated by the police for the incident. As far as I know, Stewart is cleared to race Sunday at the Glen, but have also read rumors where Max Papis will be racing Stewart's 14 car.

Here is one of the many articles I have read on it:

Tony Stewart hits Kevin Ward Jr.

On a personal note, I have read a lot of fan speculation on it and how they feel about it. A lot seeming to think it was on purpose. Tony Stewart is known to be a hot head...for his temper. Has thrown a few punches. Got mad and purposefully wreck other drivers in their cars...but to purposefully hit someone on foot like that? I personally can't see him doing that. The video is on youtube right now and I have seen it...can post it if you all want, but didn't know if I should or not. In the video it does look like it could be intentional...but the thing is, is how is Stewart to know the kid is out of his car and on the track? The kid is dressed in a black fire suit while at night. Personally I feel like Stewart just didn't see the kid and hit him on accident. But I could be wrong, but I hope that I am not.

My thoughts and prayers go to Kevin Ward Jr, his family, and friends. Gone too soon.

Also, my thoughts and prayers go out to Tony Stewart. Can't imagine how he must feel right now.

This whole thing is just so tragic in so many ways.

I will make sure to keep you all updated with anything that comes forth from this. Right now it looks like Stewart is just being investigated...

I've watched a couple of versions of what appears to be the same video footage (they're easy enough to find, but I didn't think it was appropriate to post links here). It seems strange that in one version you hear the sound of an engine being gunned as Stewart's car hits Kevin Ward Jr, yet in the other version the sound is heard before the impact. It's impossible for me to tell whether the engine being gunned belongs to Stewart or one of the other drivers. Either way, it was a pretty poor decision on Kevin Ward Jr's part to approach a moving race car wearing a mainly black race suit during a night race, even if it was under caution. To me it looked like Kevin Ward Jr made a deliberate approach towards Stewart's car; something you might get away with in NASCAR, but not in an open-wheel series. The main eyewitness who's being quoted on various sites is Tyler Graves, a friend of Kevin‘s.

Sometimes it seems that incidents, accidents and assaults at sporting events aren't treated in the same legal way that they would be if they happened outside on the street. In this case it looks like police are investigating, but haven't felt the need to arrest Tony Stewart. Sheriff Phillip Povero said that Tony Stewart was "fully cooperative" and that "the incident is not being investigated as a criminal matter." While some sites start their coverage with lines like "NASCAR driver Tony Stewart's famous temper has struck again", I am going to wait for the outcome of the investigation. I'm sure it will be discussed on the pre-race show later today.

None of the articles I've read give any indication as to whether Stewart will be racing today. They simply say that he's due to race at Watkins Glen.

Just a small correction to Garrett's post: all the sources I've read say that Kevin Ward Jr was 20 years old. The initial confusion may be due to the bio on his website starting with the line "Kevin Ward Jr is just 17 years old and he is the pilot of the Rider Racing Engines Powered #13 360 Sprint Car."

http://www.motorsport.com/sprint/news/tony-stewart-runs-over-fellow-sprint-car-racer-authorities-investigating/

Above is a link to a better article and it does say Ward Jr is 20...everything I read yesterday said he was 17.

Reagan Smith will be driving the 14 car of Stewart's today.

I do believe the video has been taken down on Youtube or at least htat is what peple on Facebook is saying...but something about it being on ESPN. I don't know.

My thoughts and prayers are with Kevin Ward Jr, his family, and his friends...and with Tony Stewart. Just so tragic and sad.

I do believe the video has been taken down on Youtube or at least htat is what peple on Facebook is saying...but something about it being on ESPN. I don't know.

Never believe what people say on Facebook! - many copies of the video are still available on YouTube, although some now require users to log in and verify their age.

BTW. I forgot to mention in my previous update that Regan Smith will move to the back of the field because he's a replacement driver.

I have seen the video a couple of times...and another time an half hour or so when I watched a segment of a newscast that was talking about it. And at first it does look like Tony's car was going right at him and people keep saying they heard Tony's car revving up or something like he was gassing the car when he saw Kevin Jr. But I heard numerous other drivers of that series saying that they steer more with the pedals and that was Tony trying to steer the car away from Kevin Jr.

Personally I don't see why people are still trying to throw dirt on Tony and accuse him of doing this on purpose. I mean...Keven Ward Jr. got wrecked by Tony Stewart which had brought out the caution flag. Ward couldn't get his car to start or his tire was flat...so it is required to stay in their car to wait for emergency personel to help them off the track and to the infield care center. Kevin Ward got out of his car and onto a track where cars were still going around the track at 40 MPH. Add to all of that, that it was DARK outside, the track was poorly lit at best, Ward was wearing a black suit and helmet on a mud/dirt track. He waited until Tony's vehicle came into view and walked into the middle of the track. Is it so hard to believe that Tony didn't see him until the last minute? I don't even know how he could purposefully hit him...to do it intentionally he would have to know the kid would be on the track...in the middle of the track. And why would Tony do that? Tony wasn't the one mad...Kevin Ward Jr was mad at Tony for wrecking him...a racing move that other driver say they all make.

People keep throwing out how Tony has a temper. He's a hot head. Trust me, I know. I remember him getting mad at Gordon years ago when Gordon was having car trouble and was trying to keep from getting passed by Tony and Tony wrecked him on purpose. Or how he punched Kurt Busch when Kurt was still the Nationwide Series...or of Tony throwing his helmet at Matt Kenseth's car a year or two ago at Bristol I think. Or how NASCAR made Tony go through anger management YEARS ago for his temper. But you know what...any of the drivers on the track has a breaking point. Loses their cool every once in a while. Afterall, they are going 150-200 MPH and for over 100 laps are fighting their cars, the track, and each other. They are hot and frustrated...and all it takes is one wrong move and it will wind up in the news of an argument of some sort. I am not condoning Stewart's temper or how he acts...for a long time I couldn't stand him because of his temper...but now that he has matured, can understand where he is coming from. No I don't condone that sort of behavior, but that don't neccessarily make him to be a bad guy. In fact, I think Stewart is a good guy under all that temper and hot headedness of his.

And the thought that he would hit Ward Jr on purpose is so outlandish. So wrong. It makes me me upset to hear people throw such harsh accusations towards him. A year ago in Knoxville, Iowa he got in a bad accident in a sprint car that left his leg broke in two places and two or three surgeries left him side lined from any racing for the rest of the year. Wanna hear why he wrecked? Because he was avoiding hitting two people on pit road that would have killed them.

Tony may have a temper, but he doesn't react by intentionally hitting people like that. He would wreck them in the car or would confront them with a few harsh words after the race...and in a few incidents a fist. But never has he tried running anyone over due to his temper. But as I said, Stewart wasn't the one that was mad. It was Kevin Ward Jr.

Trust me, I feel horrible for Kevin Ward Jr. and his family. I can't imagine the pain and anguish they are now going through as Ward Jr's visitation was yesterday. His funeral was today. And by the sounds of it his dad is upset at Tony. Expecting answers. Which is natural to find the blame in the other person. I can't say I would react any different. After all that is his young son who was doing what he loved doing. They are all in my thoughts and prayers.

But it wasn't intentional on Stewart's part. It was an accident.

Due to the incident NASCAR is now trying to press harsher violations toward the drivers who do get out of their cars before emergency personel get there. There has always been a rule of what I am aware of that the drivers to stay in their cars after a wreck unless the car is on fire to wait for help to get to the infield care center...even if it is a flat tire that left the driver stranded in the middle of the track. But they never persued it when a driver got out...especially if it is to confront another driver. After all all those confronts arises publicity. The media love and supposedly do the fans...I on the other hand would rather see racing and not fighting. But it sounds like that is about to end due to the whole situation...even though it wasn't a NASCAR race or even a NASCAR track. Which is good.

Most of you know that I am a Jeff Gordon/Jimmie Johnson...team Hendrick fan. But I stand by Stewart and only wish I could do something that could help him through his own suffering through all of this. I have read several articles on this as well as read other fan's comments. Some supporting Stewart, some demanding him to pay for this, some calling him a murderer, and others who think that Tony was only trying to teach the kid a lesson and didn't mean to hit him. It just saddens me to see everyone turn on Stewart. Or how the media keep bringing up his temper and how he got in a fight in a Sprint race last year or what not. Perhaps they should also throw in a few of his charities that he does or who he is as a person.

The police have said that they have yet to find anything criminal in Tony's part but said that their investigation will take another two weeks. Last I heard they were doing a reinactment on Tony's part of the deal. I for one, pray that they will stick with thier original verdict of nothing criminal on Tony's part.

Tony missed last week's race at Watkins Glen and Reagan Smith took the seat of the 14 car...Tony has now said that he will not be racing at Michigan this Sunday either. Veteran driver Jeff Burton will be climbing behind the wheel of the 14 car...which will eliminate Tony from the Chase with how the rules right now is wrote. Though with four races remaning of the regular season, Tony would have to win a race in the four races in order to get into the Chase. He has had a rough luck season so far as it is as he has only had a few decent races this season...which is way off for him. June, July, and August is normally his hottest time of the year. Personally feel his leg is still bothering him and giving him trouble in the car. I could be wrong. But as it is right now, as much as I would miss Tony...it might be best for Tony to hide out from all the negative media and let the investigation take it's course before thinking of returning. But that is just me and the only one who knows what is best for Tony...is Tony. He hasn't said anything about next week's race...just this week's race so far.

I am sorry this is so long, but this is something that I have been upset over ever since I heard about it. Reading everyone's accustation toward Tony is only making it worse. And most of this is MY OPINION...which I know means very little to anyone. I could be wrong in it all, but I pray that I am not. Whatever the outcome of this is...NASCAR has taken a big hit with this and if it effects NASCAR, well it effects me.

Kevin Ward Jr, his family, friends, fans, and team are in my thoughts and prayers as they go through this difficult and hard time.

Tony Stewart and his family and friends are in my thoughts and prayers as they too suffer through all of this. This is something that Tony will have to live with for the rest of his lift...that alone is prison all in itself.

If you want to see the accident, you can see it on Youtube by searching Tony Stewart and Kevin Ward Jr.

Once again, I am sorry this is so long and a lot of opinion in it. It is just how I feel.