NASCAR news

Garrett Duke

Well I just saw Hamlin have to push his car onto Pit Road right at the end....just not enough gas! Man! That's a hard way to lose!  I don't know if this is a re-run or not.  Eric Amirola won it.  #10 I think. I'm not sure if this was taped or live....? I saw it on  FS1HD....whatever that channel is on your cable.

Martin Truex jr signs contract extension with JGR https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2021/02/10/martin-truex-jr-signs-contract-extension-with-joe-gibbs-racing/

Alex Bowman won the Daytona 500 pole in qualifying Wednesday night. Aric Almirola won the first duel and Austin Dillon the 2nd duel. Austin Cindric, Ryan Preece, David Ragan and Kaz Grala raced their way into the Daytona 500 either with qualifying speed or duel finishes.

Michael McDowell won the Daytona 500 when the two Penske teammates wrecked in front of him. I watched the replays on youtube this morning and was surprised that it was basically single file on the last few laps. This is his first Cup victory in his 14 year 358 starts career. At least now he'll be remembered for something other than surviving that horrendous practice crash at the beginning of his cup career. All the drivers walked away from the crashes this year though I bet Kyle Busch and Brad Keselowski are nursing some pain this morning.

Here's the top ten.

1 Michael McDowell

2 Chase Elliot

3 Austin Dillon

4 Kevin Harvick

5 Denny Hamlin

6 Ryan Preece

7 Ross Chastain

8 Jamie McMurray

9 Corey Lajoie

10 Kyle Larson

Next Sunday will be the Daytona road course race.

17 hours ago, Hobie Hartkins said:

I'm surprised more cars didn't fail inspection since I read Nascar is using a new laser scanner to check the body tolerances out this year.

19 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Sorry to be ignorant here but what are body tolerances? Does it have to do with making a car that is too streamlined and has the potential to go airborn? 

hmmmm....I guess that's where you show that you are friendly toward people of other races*....?? :)   

* NASCAR, INDY, FORMULA 1  !.....

Edited by Hobie Hartkins

5 hours ago, Hobie Hartkins said:

hmmmm....I guess that's where you show that you are friendly toward people of other races*....?? :)   

* NASCAR, INDY, FORMULA 1  !.....

Oh, you must mean if a NASCAR driver compliments a horse jockey or an Olympic swimmer says nice things to a dirt bike racer? Everybody should love all racers.

3 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Oh, you must mean if a NASCAR driver compliments a horse jockey or an Olympic swimmer says nice things to a dirt bike racer? Everybody should love all racers.

Why Yes Roger....that's exactly what I meant! LOL!! ;) 

Edited by Hobie Hartkins

On 2/16/2021 at 8:32 PM, RogerDuke said:

Sorry to be ignorant here but what are body tolerances? Does it have to do with making a car that is too streamlined and has the potential to go airborn? 

https://m.nascar.com/news-media/2018/02/01/nascar-new-2018-inspection-process/

Daytona 500 tv viewership hit a new low, just 4.4million viewers this year https://www.jayski.com/2021/02/17/daytona-500-tv-ratings-2/ this is the first time since Daytona 500 has been live telecast, which was 1979 on CBS, that viewership has been below 7 million people which happened last year. Rain delay obviously didn't help and restarting the race after 9pm probably wasn't a smart idea either. This downward trend keeps up I can see a time when there won't be any Nascar races on free ota broadcast channels. 

8 hours ago, Hobie Hartkins said:

I wonder if it has anything to do with the Sponsorship being restricted? ( no more Winston, Marlboro, etc.) I don't really see how that could do it.....but you never know!

F1 has also stopped all tobacco sponsorship (Ferrari still appear to be getting money from Philip Morris for its Mission Winnow initiative), but they seem to have found new revenue streams from other industries. Having said that, there are quite a few of the newer sponsors that I've never heard of.

13 hours ago, Hobie Hartkins said:

I wonder if it has anything to do with the Sponsorship being restricted? ( no more Winston, Marlboro, etc.) I don't really see how that could do it.....but you never know!

I think it has more to do with fans sick of the B.S. changes over the past 15+ years especially the championship format that supposedly rewards race winners. The "car of tomorrow" with it's ground effect kit and wing really put a dent in the fanbase.

Toyota swept the weekend's races at the Daytona road course winning all three races. The truck race was the only controversial finish with a phantom caution thrown on the last lap which also gave Toyota it's 200th truck series win  :wink::wink:. Joe Gibbs grandson Ty Gibbs won his first Xfinity race which was also his first Xfinity series start. Christopher Bell won the Cup series race after the favorites to win were taken out of contention with bad pitstops or part failures or incidents. Denny Hamlin took out Chase Elliot with a handful of laps to go when they were battling to pass Brad Keselowski.

Here's the top 10

1 Christopher Bell

2 Joey Logano

3 Denny Hamlin

4 Kurt Busch

5 Brad Keselowski

6 Kevin Harvick

7 AJ Allmendinger

8 Michael McDowell

9 Ryan Preece

10 Alex Bowman

7 hours ago, Hobie Hartkins said:

Toyota's are the best!  I've been a Toyota man since I had my first car ( a '79 Toyota Corolla!) Even now, I have a JapaNEESE MerceDEESE  ( Corolla)  in my drive way! ( Along with a Funakoshi Ferrari!.....My Nissan Sentra!) 

:neener: GM, Ford, Dodge through and through here.

Seriously though I hope your Sentra doesn't have the cvt that destroys itself after the factory warranty is up. Costed my cousin over $4k to get the one in her Rogue rebuilt. She contacted Nissan and they refused to even partially pay for it even though it's a known issue in several of Nissan vehicles.

I have to admit I like the road courses. Sure was an interesting Daytona with two guys, McDowell and Bell, winning their first ever race. Hamlin and Chase bumping and knocking Chase back so far was tough to watch. How 'bout the other Chase and that missing hood! It looked like a car at a dirt track. 

Edited by RogerDuke

Chip Ganassi gets suspended for 1 race for breaking covid protocol https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2021/02/22/nascar-suspends-car-owner-chip-ganassi-one-race/

I can imagine this was a miserable last 1/3rd of the race but at least he had his best finish outside of a Gibbs car https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2021/02/21/daniel-suarez-throws-up-late-in-daytona-road-course-race-finishes-16th/

20 hours ago, Spike said:

:neener: GM, Ford, Dodge through and through here.

Seriously though I hope your Sentra doesn't have the cvt that destroys itself after the factory warranty is up. Costed my cousin over $4k to get the one in her Rogue rebuilt. She contacted Nissan and they refused to even partially pay for it even though it's a known issue in several of Nissan vehicles.

We bought it at Ed Rogers in Sparta Tn. He KNEW the transmission was bad but we couldn't tell until we bought it and drove it for a long distance up a steep hill. No lemon laws in Tn.,  on used cars....so....The new one costs $2700. We called Nissan and told them ( Their headquarters is in my hometown...Franklin Tn. .....and they agreed to pay part of it.