NASCAR news

Garrett Duke

Poor Ricky Stenhouse. His race didn't last long. I watched a little of the pre race stuff and there were people showing up and hanging around just because they wanted to hear the cars....now that's true fans! I predict record TV  viewership here. Everybody is so starved for a live sporting event. Even people who have never watched a NASCAR race are watching this.....lap 18 as I type this....gotta go watch Chase Elliott win this thing. 

I think the announcers jinxed Jimmie Johnson. He was in first place and then they announced how it's been forever since he's won anything and then he tapped a lapped car and wrecked. Chase Elliott is barely staying in the top 10. They said that NASCAR hasn't tried to do 4 races in 11 days since the early 70s! King Richard won all 4. 

Kevin Harvick celebrated his 50th cup series win yesterday which puts him at #12 on the wins list sharing the spot with Ned Jarret and Junior Johnson.

Alex Bowman finished 2nd and was a strong contender for the win. He also signed a 1 year extension with Hendrick Motorsports https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2020/05/16/alex-bowman-hendrick-motorsports-nascar-contract-extension-free-agency/

Rounding out the top 5 was Kurt Busch, Chase Elliot and Denny Hamlin.

Matt Kenseth finished 10th in his first race since November 2018.

Ryan Newman finished 15th 

Rookies Tyler Reddick finished 7th and John Hunter Nemechek finished 9th.

I think if Jimmie Johnson didn't wreck he would have won the race if not finished in the top 3. Hopefully he does well Wednesday night. That race will air on FS1 at 7:30pm est.

Yes, there's must've been (viewer) records broken. I read of people watching NASCAR here's in the Netherlands who have never watched it and now tuned in simply for the reason that its the first of any form of motorsport going again.

Also got to see my favorite NASCAR driver win so happy days. :D

Wont be able to tune in this Wednesday due to the starting time with them running it as a nightrace pretty much. It starts at like 2 AM for us. Thats simply too late for me even considering that this Thursday is a National holiday.

Also, about Iracing. I watched most of those races but seeing North Wilkesboro, the track I've read so much about, raced by real drivers (albeit virtually) was just amazing.

On 5/17/2020 at 4:10 PM, RogerDuke said:

I predict record TV  viewership here. Everybody is so starved for a live sporting event. Even people who have never watched a NASCAR race are watching this.

6.3 million viewer average https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/nascar-return-scores-6-3-183922775.html most watched non Daytona 500 race since 2017.

7 hours ago, Hobie Harkins said:

Well, Roth, you ought to take a few days off and come out to the Moonshine 500....I'll be racing in that and it WON'T be virtual!  I'm talking the real deal! :) 

And don't forget the Buttermilk 5.00 after that. Run 5 laps around the barn after drinking a quart of buttermilk. If nobody makes it without getting sick the person who gets the farthest wins....it will probably be Enos again. 

The 2nd Darlington race had some weather issues. Even though the start of the race was moved to an earlier time the rain still delayed the start of the race. I ended up going to bed so I didn't see any of it.

From what I've read this morning it looks like Chase Elliot had a good chance to win the race till Kyle Busch wrecked him late in the rain shortened race. Denny Hamlin went on to win and Kyle Busch finished 2nd and Sunday's winner Kevin Harvick finished 3rd. Although Chase Elliot approached the racing surface to give Kyle a nice ;) gesture it appears Nascar won't penalize him.

The Coca Cola 600 is Sunday on Fox, hopefully mother nature will hold off on the rain this time.

At first the Thursday race was to be broadcast at 1:30 AM for me. Wasn't gonna watch it, way too late for me. Then it was rescheduled to midnight. Could at least partly watch it with that start time. Turned on the TV at midnight. No rain, but the delay was to about 1:30 AM. :spin:

Well... At least With them showing Multiple Episodes of something about Nascar in the 70s, I forgot the name. I learned that Formula One Legend Jackie Stewart was a commentator for NASCAR at one point as well as that he tried to qualify for a race in 1967!

Planning on watching part of it again tonight as it starts at midnight!

Edited by Roth Potter

Looked like Alex Bowman was going to dominate the race last night, he won both stages 1 & 2. I went to bed after stage 2 so I don't know what happened after that, was planning on watching the whole race but the rain delay put the kibosh on that.

Joey Logano won stage 3. Chase Elliot looked like he was going to win the race until a late caution and deciding to pit instead of staying out put Brad Keselowski into the lead and in victory lane. Jimmie Johnson was dq'd after his car failed post race inspection. Denny Hamlin's team will possibly be fined and penalized for ballast falling off of his car during the pace laps. Kevin Harvick's streak of top 5's continues.

22 hours ago, Roth Potter said:

Well... At least With them showing Multiple Episodes of something about Nascar in the 70s, I forgot the name. I learned that Formula One Legend Jackie Stewart was a commentator for NASCAR at one point as well as that he tried to qualify for a race in 1967!

In the same 'Racing Legends' series as the Stirling Moss documentary I posted recently, there's one on three-time F1 World Champion Jackie Stewart. This time it's celebrity chef James Martin who gets to meet his hero and drive one of his racing cars. I don't think they mention NASCAR, but they do cover the 1968 race at the 14-mile Nürburgring Nordschleife where he won by 4 minutes in appalling weather conditions. Jackie contributed a lot to the improved safety in motor sport we've seen since the '70s - his young son apparently once asked when he was going to get killed because the boys at school had asked him! I also found out that he only lives about 10 miles from where I grew up, although I don't know if he lived there at the time.

Chase Elliot got his first win if the season last night at Charlotte, he also won the Charlotte Truck race Tuesday night. Kevin Harvick's streak of top 5's ended last night with a 10th place finish, his streak if top 10's is now at 13 though. Denny Hamlin, Ryan Blaney, Ricky Stenhouse jr and Kurt Busch round out the top 5.

The young guns at Hendrick have been really good this year.  Wonder who he'll pick for the #48 next year. Wonder if it will be another up and comer or a veteran.

That was an exciting finish at Bristol. Chase came pretty close to winning but he over drove the corner and took himself and Joey Logano out with 2 laps to go. Brad Keselowski went on to win and Clint Bowyer finished 2nd. Jimmie Johnson finished 3rd, Kyle Busch and Eric Jones round out the top 5. Bubba Wallace was able to wrangle the #43 to finish 10th. Kevin Harvick's top 10 streak is over as he finished 11th.

I guess its now a top 11 streak. :)

Is it usual for Bristol to sometimes see people going into the wall as if they're suddenly steering straight when they're about 10/20% into the corner? It was like understeer but it somehow didn't look like understeer? I saw it happen to Harvick and at least 2 others.

3 hours ago, Roth Potter said:

I guess its now a top 11 streak. :)

Is it usual for Bristol to sometimes see people going into the wall as if they're suddenly steering straight when they're about 10/20% into the corner? It was like understeer but it somehow didn't look like understeer? I saw it happen to Harvick and at least 2 others.

I think it's due to the no practice period before the race so basically what they unloaded from the trucks is what they ran. Some teams had a good setup but most it seemed didn't even after making changes during pit stops.

Kevin Harvick won his 2nd race this season this afternoon at Atlanta, this win moved him to #11 in the all time Wins List. Joe Gibbs racing had a good day finishing 2nd, 3rd and 5th though it looked like Erik Jones was gonna have a good day issues led to him finishing 28th keeping the team from having all 4 drivers in the top 10. 

Kevin Harvick had a rocket for the final stage opening a lead of 4 seconds over Martin Tried jr some laps. Kurt Busch who finished 6th also seemed to be quicker than several top 10 cars but had trouble navigating past lapped cars otherwise I think he could've finished in the top five if not 3.

Next race is Wednesday night at 7pm on FS1 at Martinsville under the lights.