NASCAR news

Garrett Duke

17 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

I wonder if all kinds of racing constantly struggles the way NASCAR does with rules and proposed changes. 

Every organization goes thru ups and downs but it seems with Nascar and their downswings they think the only way to fix it is change the rules and some rules make the racing worse. 2019 might be the last year for Nascar Racing as we've known it for the past 60+ years.

Another season is over and we have another new Champion in Joey Logano. Todd Gordon made some great changes to make that car a rocket for the end. Thought Kyle Larson would win the race but he didn't fare so well when the track changed. A lot of drivers ran their last race this weekend. Matt Kenseth stated he's not interested in driving next year and he finished his career on a high note with a 6th place finish yesterday. Jamie McMurray might race the Daytona 500 for CGR or might find a ride with a different team for next year. AJ Almendinger is moving onto sports car racing in IMSA since Ryan Preece is taking the reigns of the #47. Kurt Busch, Trevor Bayne and Daniel Suarez's plans are still up in the air for next season.

18 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

I wonder if all kinds of racing constantly struggles the way NASCAR does with rules and proposed changes. 

F1 seems to make a few rule changes each year, but nothing quite a drastic as those proposed in NASCAR. Being such a high-tech sport, many of the changes relate to aerodynamics, car design, engine longevity etc. Others are introduced to improve safety. Some do prove to be controversial, such as the DRS (drag reduction system) which helps cars overtake.

Liberty Media have made a few changes since they took over, and I'm still not used to races starting at 10 minutes past the hour instead of on the hour. They're also looking at new tracks, which I hope won't be at the expense of some of the great historic ones.

There's is, however, one major change for next year - it'll be the first time that none of the races will be shown live on free-to-air TV in the UK. Only time will tell if this turns out to be a bad idea or a terrible one!

3 hours ago, HossC said:

There's is, however, one major change for next year - it'll be the first time that none of the races will be shown live on free-to-air TV in the UK. Only time will tell if this turns out to be a bad idea or a terrible one!

I wish NBC wouldn't have lost F1 coverage they did such a better job broadcasting F1 then ESPN/ABC has this year. 

Another NASCAR driver will be at the F1 race this weekend. This time it's the turn of (a clean-shaven) Jimmie Johnson, who joins the McLaren team for the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. He's going to get more of an experience than Jeff Gordon did a few weeks ago, because after visiting McLaren's UK factory (below) earlier this week, he's going to do a car swap with two-time F1 champion Fernando Alonso on Monday. Apparently, he'll be using one of Jenson Button's old seats in the McLaren.

JimmieJohnsonMcLaren.jpg

Alonso will drive Johnson's backup car from Charlotte, with Alan Gustafson leading the Hendrick Motorsports team in the pits.

55 minutes ago, RogerDuke said:

Those three cars might be a tad bit faster than the General Lee on a big city racetrack but If you put them on a dirt road in Hazzard County our favorite orange clunker car would make all three of them eat General Lee dust. 

I don't know about the McLarens, Roger, but Red Bull F1 cars handle dirt roads pretty well. I'm sure I've posted this video before - it was made to promote the Austin Grand Prix when track construction had just begun.

Thanks Hoss for the pictures.  Saw and knew Jimmie Johnson was there, but didn't know about Gordon. My favorites right there. 

Talking about favorites...y'all hear there is a new most popular driver? Dale Jr won it like 20 years in a row. No Jimmie Johnson didn't win it...be cool though if he did. Nope... Chase Elliott is the new most popular driver of the year. At least one of my guys won something this year.

Sorry I've been quiet.  Life just gets in the way.  I'm on my phone now so sorry if I'm not making much sense.

Only 76 more days until Daytona 500. Luckily my Bears are doing good this year, so it's been helping my NASCAR  withdrawals.  But still...76 long days away...

On 11/27/2018 at 9:28 PM, Spike said:

Thanks, Spike. I've just seen this video that was uploaded by Hendrick Motorsports. I'm impressed that Jimmie Johnson got within two tenths of Fernando Alonso's time.

(Jimmie's clean-shaven look didn't last long!)

7 hours ago, Garrett Duke said:

Thanks Hoss for the pictures.  Saw and knew Jimmie Johnson was there, but didn't know about Gordon. My favorites right there. 

Talking about favorites...y'all hear there is a new most popular driver? Dale Jr won it like 20 years in a row. No Jimmie Johnson didn't win it...be cool though if he did. Nope... Chase Elliott is the new most popular driver of the year. At least one of my guys won something this year.

Sorry I've been quiet.  Life just gets in the way.  I'm on my phone now so sorry if I'm not making much sense.

Only 76 more days until Daytona 500. Luckily my Bears are doing good this year, so it's been helping my NASCAR  withdrawals.  But still...76 long days away...

Hey, two of my favorites are mentioned here....Garrett Duke and Chase Elliott. It sure is good to hear from you Garrett. 76 days will be here before you know it! I'm too excited about Christmas to think about it though. I hope your Bears continue to do well....unless they play my Steelers in the Super Bowl....wouldn't that be fun!

2 hours ago, HossC said:

Good to hear from you again, Garrett.

It's 104 days until the 2019 F1 season starts on March 17th (yes, that's St. Patrick's Day).

I guess you'll have to become an F1 fan if you want to continue seeing your favorite drivers ;).

Thank you Hoss. Miss being on here with you all 

In other words I shouldn't complain about 76 days? ;)

As exciting as it was to see Johnson switch rides...he better be back behind the 48 NASCAR car cone Daytona.  Tho it's going to be wrong to see him without Lowes and Chad Knaus. 

2 hours ago, HossC said:

Thanks, Spike. I've just seen this video that was uploaded by Hendrick Motorsports. I'm impressed that Jimmie Johnson got within two tenths of Fernando Alonso's time.

(Jimmie's clean-shaven look didn't last long!)

Thank you for posting this.  Made my night! And helped with my withdrawals. ;)

I figured his clean shaven look wouldn't last too long after Homestead. 

On 12/3/2018 at 10:01 PM, Garrett Duke said:

You are too kind Roger. :) I miss being on here with you all more. 

Im excited for Christmas too...my withdrawals will only get worse after Christmas.  

That'd be a great Super Bowl.  Of course my Bears would win. No one gets past Kahil Mack. :D

Score prediction: Steelers-87 Bears-3 (maybe 6 if their quarterback gets healthy. How's he doing lately?

13 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Score prediction: Steelers-87 Bears-3 (maybe 6 if their quarterback gets healthy. How's he doing lately?

Ouch Roger...that stings. I think you hot the score backwards.  Bears win all the way. LOL.

As far as Trubisky goes,  he is still questionable for this weekend. But he played ping pong with Prince Amukamara the other day (another AWESOME  Bears player. ) so maybe he's on his way to recovery.  They play the Rams this weekend...so am nervous about that. But I'm sure the Rams will earn their second loss of the season against the Bears.  

Did you see those Steeler fans fighting yet? There was two different fights during the same game. You Steeler fans are violent so hopefully they wont allow you in the Super bowl game. Gotta protect all Bears fans. ;)

You may have bad taste in football and baseball teams, but at least you like Chase Elliott. ;)

It looks like Trubisky is going to play. They're going to need him against the Rams. I'll do the same thing I always do....root for them unless they're playing the Steelers just like I root for the Cubs unless they're playing the Pirates...just because of you. The Steelers star RB James Connor is out with an ankle injury. I've met him three times. He is friends with my nephew. They went to McDowell High School in Erie Pennsylvania together. Connor is a cancer survivor so McDowell always get mentioned when they do stories about him. 

5 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

It looks like Trubisky is going to play. They're going to need him against the Rams. I'll do the same thing I always do....root for them unless they're playing the Steelers just like I root for the Cubs unless they're playing the Pirates...just because of you. The Steelers star RB James Connor is out with an ankle injury. I've met him three times. He is friends with my nephew. They went to McDowell High School in Erie Pennsylvania together. Connor is a cancer survivor so McDowell always get mentioned when they do stories about him. 

That is cool that you met or know one of the players. Sorry that he is hurt. Hate seeing anyone get hurt. 

I'm the same...but backwards.  I think of you with the Steelers and Pirates and hope they win for you....except when they play my Bears or Cubs. :D

They do need Trubisky this weekend with the Rams. Am nervous about the game, but I believe in the Bears. Tho will admit was impressed with the Bears backup  quarterback Chase Daniels.

4 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

My favorite racer: Chase Elliott

My favorite singer: Charlie Daniels

My new favorite QB who is not a Steeler: Chase Daniels

I thought I'd complete the loop, but never realized how well it would fit. Roger, it turns out that Charlie Elliott is the name of a wildlife park. Not only is it in Georgia, it's not far from Mill Pond Road. Added to that, they have an astronomy blog - it's like the place was made for you!

Roger's new favorite wildlife park: Charlie Elliott Wildlife Center, Mansfield, GA. :)

21 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

My favorite racer: Chase Elliott

My favorite singer: Charlie Daniels

My new favorite QB who is not a Steeler: Chase Daniels

LOL Roger.  Love this post.  Glad your favorite QB outside of the Steelers is a Bears QB. So what if my Bears play your Steelers in the Super bowl and Chase Daniel's was playing? 

Not to detour your line of thought, but you know what Chase Elliott full name is? William Clyde "Chase" Elliott ll. Makes you wonder how they get Chase out of that...but it's a good thing he goes by Chase. For your post and it would be confusing having two William's at Hendricks Motorsports.  (William Byron). 

Maybe there us hope that you may come to good side in football afterall...