NASCAR news

Garrett Duke

I go to a lot of dirt track racing (oval shaped track) and It's always funny to hear people after a wreck. If car #23 gets in a wreck with car #44 the fans of car #23 blame the driver of car #44 and the fans of car #44 blame the driver of car #23. It happens every time! I guess that's called human nature.

17 hours ago, HossC said:

:previous:

I didn't get to see the race this week, but I watched a clip of the last few laps, and I don't think Ricky Stenhouse Jr had anywhere to go. It's good to see Ricky Stenhouse Jr get a top 5 finish.

The way Kyle Larson stuffed it in there, Ricky had nowhere to go. I'm shocked they both didn't wreck. 

• 2 weeks later...

Daniel Suarez/Carl Edwards Crew Chief Dave Rogers resigned from JGR http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2017/03/29/joe-gibbs-racing-crew-chief-dave-rogers-taking-personal-leave-for-indefinite-period/ of course this fed the conspiracy theorists more with the boasting that Penske will be going back to Dodge in 2018 and hired Carl Edwards for one of the team cars. 

Seems Fox wants to throw Nascar fans a bone and throw the Martinsville Truck race on Saturday on Fox instead of FS1 since the MENCS race Sunday will be on FS1. So this will make the 3rd year in a row that Fans will not be able to watch the Martinsville Cup races in Spring and Autumn on free over the air broadcast TV. You'd think that Martinsville being one of the best races that Nascar would want it on the channel that reaches the most veiwers. I'd rather watch one of the Martinsville and Bristol races over the boring Kansas, Kentucky, Chicago or Las Vegas races. 

Alright, this is embarrassing but... I honestly just discovered tonight that Jeff Gordon retired going on two years ago.

I discovered it because of a 24 car poster at Little Caesar's of all places... and that car poster had some guy that  was not Gordon on it..

I had to do a double take. It was like... when and how did this happen?

I honestly admit, I don't follow or watch NASCAR... but with as many old friends as I have who were complete Jeff Gordon nuts... How in the heck did I miss this?

I also admit, one of my favorite Country Music Videos of all time features Jeff Gordon - It's a Brad Paisley one... I am sure, due to past conversations with Garrett, that the writer behind him knows which video I am talking about... Old Alabama... ;) but my point is... this caught me out of left field.

Yeah, I read that a little while ago.

heh, kinda reminds me of the Dukes/Law Rivalry. Different sides, but always willing to help each other out when it came down to it... well, the Dukes were anyway... and Enos... and Cletus... Sometimes Rosco... humm...

I may not watch NASCAR - always preferred the dirt track racing and mud bogs for some reason, don't ask me why (heckuva lot of fun to watch in person at our local tracks) but i have always gotten that good ol' boy vibe from about 95% or more of the racers - displayed by Gordon by filling in for old Rival's son (who was also one of his rivals - used to be an all out war around here between Gordon fans and Earnhardt family fans).

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/7/2017 at 8:30 PM, Hobie Harkins said:

Maybe we won't see too much of Danica, the male wannabee, this year! Hopefully she won't be causing all the shenanigans she has in the past!

I wouldn't be surprised to see her out of a cup ride after this year as well unless she puts a string of top 10's of 20's finishes.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well y'all...I am still breathing. Just haven't been here lately. My laptop decided to stop working, life is busy...you know the normal excuses. But I am here. And just got done watching the Pocono race...JJ got taken out by Kasey Kahne...who won Indy last week. Kyle Busch finally won a race after leading a whole lotta laps this season...just not the lap that counted the most - the last one. Until today. :D  He had the dominant car last week until Martin Truex Jr wrecked them both out of the race (Truex's car caught on fire and was lucky to escape!) . Though a couple of his crew members got suspended for a few races when they got in a fight with Kyle Busch's crew chief. As I felt they should have been.

Sadly I have no idea where I left off on this page...I tried reading through this thread last night, but HNet kept closing on me. I am on my tablet right now, so please excuse my ramblings. I just wanted to put a post something to let you know I am still here.

As you all probably know by now, this is the last season for Dale Earnhardt Jr...NASCAR is losing everyone. First Jeff Gordon. Then Tony Stewart. Then Carl Edwards and Greg Biffle. Now Dale Jr. And who knows where Matt Kenseth is going now that Joe Gibbs is giving his car to a younger driver next year (his name eludes me right now...). All I have to say is...Jimmie Johnson better stay in NASCAR for like forever. 

And what about this stage racing? I haven't heard anyone say a positive thing about it. Have to say I am not a fan of it. I say let them race and stop interfering with it. But they didn't ask me.

Sorry for this horrible post. I am still here. Still watching NASCAR and still love the Dukes. Though I haven't watched an episode in like forever. Sadly. Sadly wasn't able to go to Cooter's Last Stand. Either. :( Hope some of you all did.

Anyway...keep it between the ditches y'all. :) 

On 5/2/2017 at 2:28 PM, RogerDuke said:

There sure are some disappointed Jr fans out there. I wonder if he'll just take a couple years off and then come back. I'm still not convinced that Jeff Gordon is going to stay retired.

Dale Earnhardt Jr is going to be in the NBC broadcasting booth next year...kinda like Jeff Gordon is on Fox, but Dale Jr will be on NBC. Though he didn't leave out the possibility  of racing Daytona 500. ;) 

On 7/31/2017 at 4:48 AM, RogerDuke said:

Good to see you back in town Garrett. Thanks for the info about NASCAR. I miss your weekly race review. How's your fantasy baseball team doing? I'm in first place in 2 leagues and second place in another.

Oh Roger I miss writing them. Perhaps if I ever get another lap top I will try for it. I guess I never knew if anyone read them or if they were helpful to anyone. I don't think I could even think to do that on my tablet here. It's messing up what I write here alread...urgh.

Fantasy baseball....hmmm. I'm doing almost as bad as I am in my fantasy auto racing. (NASCAR...don't know why Yahoo has to call it auto racing. LOL) I swear I jinx all my drivers and players I pick! Congrats on being first in a couple of your leagues. I am in too many baseball leagues. That's my problem. I wasn't going to do that this year but now that they do the auto renew...i fell back into the same trap of last year. 

Hey talking about fantasy sports...I got an opening in my fantasy football. It is free and fun. Please come and join me...we'll have fun and I promise not to be too hard on you or anyone who wants to join. :D

There were many weekends where your reviews were the only results I got from the race Garrett. To be honest, part of that is because I don't follow NASCAR as closely as you but I do love the HazzardNet so they would always catch my eye. I don't plan on playing fantasy football. It's just too frustrating. I'm a Steelers fan and if I have one of their opponents on my fantasy team I catch myself partially rooting for the player on my fantasy team instead of the Steelers. Usually though I root for the Steelers but want the guy on my fantasy team to do well even though he's playing against the Steelers. It just gets frustrating. Its not as bad when I root for the Pirates because there are so many games and each one doesn't seem to be as significant.

Edited by RogerDuke

It's good to have you back, Garrett. I don't seem to have the time to watch the races this year, but I try to remember to look at the results. Having said that, I did get to see the second half of yesterday's race at Watkins Glen, and really enjoyed it. The variations in tire/fuel strategies made for a nail-biting conclusion, which followed a long period of green-flag racing. I don't know why, but I like Watkins Glen a lot more than the other road course, Sonoma.

Well y'all...thank you for your kind words and warm welcome back. :) I did get a new lap top...so if you all are interested, perhaps once I get familiarized with my lap top, I will write at least a small summary for the races.

As for Watkins Glen...I am not a big fan of road course races. I liked them when Jeff Gordon was racing, because Jeff Gordon was good at them (he didn't get the nickname of King of Road Races for nothing ;) ) but now that he is retired and Jimmie Johnson isn't very good at them, it kinda  takes the excitement away.

As for NASCAR news...Kasey Kahne will be out of the 5 car at the end of the year and will be replaced by William Byron. Really don't know where Hendrick is going with this. I am aware that he is all about the youth movement in NASCAR. But Kasey Kahne still has another year on his contract...Byron only has one year in the truck series and one year in the Xfinity Series. Why not give him another year of experience in Xfinity and let Kahne fulfill his contract? Just my two cents worth on the topic. Hendrick next year will be of three young drivers and Jimmie Johnson (not that he is old. He is only 41.)

As for fantasy Roger...I am so with you on that. It does make it hard. I usually go for the Bears no matter what. My fantasy teams come second. :)

Hope you have a great Friday! :D 

Thanks for the update Garrett. Did you notice who is in first place in the latest segment of your fantasy NASCAR league? I'll give you a hint. He's a big fan of Jesse Duke. 

This place is starting to come alive again and we sure could use your NASCAR reports (and other stuff) to keep it interesting so keep typing...don't feel pressured to make your reports as long as they used to be...short reports are better than none.

Edited by RogerDuke