NASCAR news

Garrett Duke

Well Hoss...you can have your driverless racing. NASCAR many benefit from a few of the drivers having driverless cars out there, but without drivers, all it is, is well, cars. As much as I love cars and all...I need someone to follow and support. Guess take out the people or drivers, it would end all the fighting and the drama...which is what NASCAR wants, so I don't think that will happen. I think if that ever did happen, I'd have to throw it all down and walk away...I need Jimmie Johnson to root for.

Well, I see y'all beat me to the horrible and nightmarish news. I keep telling myself that I should give it a chance, but I just don't like it. The segments work in the All Star Race because that's the All Star Race. One race. One race without any points on the line. But every race? Yeah they are making it more complicated than what it has to be. Whatever happened to racing being about the race? Brian France just needs to step down and let me take over.  I'd throw the whole Chase idea out the window and go back to the old point system. You know, when racing was about racing and not seeing how much drama we could put in the sport. Ah well, that won't happen so I will keep my day job, but still...

With that said, I will continue to watch and attempt to give it a chance. I don't have much other option. Just had to give my two cents worth in on the topic.

As for Roger...you are going down! I had a horrible fantasy season last year...all my drivers I picked decided to have horrible races when I picked them. Not this year. I will be crowned champion just as JJ takes home his 8th championship at Homestead in November. ;) (If anyone else wants to join, let me know. It's fun and free to play. :) )

GO JIMMIE JOHNSON!!!  Sorry, I couldn't help myself. ;)

7 hours ago, Garrett Duke said:

Well Hoss...you can have your driverless racing.

To be honest, I haven't even watched many of the Formula E races. Having said that, driverless racing is a completely different concept to what we've been watching up until now. I accept that there's less connection because there are no driver's to root for. It will be more of an intellectual battle which happens to involve car racing. I doubt that I'll watch many races, but I'll take a look just to see what it's all about.

In the long run, just like Formula 1, Formula E and the driverless series should generate technological innovations which will filter down to road cars.

The days of bumping bumpers and banging doors is officially over in Nascar http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nascar-mandates-that-cars-that-go-to-garage-after-crashing-cant-return-165845206.html 

a rule that prohibits drivers from taking a crashed vehicle to the garage and re-entering a race. If a team can’t fix a damaged car within five minutes on pit road, the car is ineligible to return to competition.

Teams are also prohibited from adding body pieces to a car while fixing crash damage.

Thank god ASN airs reruns of ARCA races and CBS & NBC affiliates air some Off Road Racing and Rallysport races otherwise I wouldn't get my racing fix this year.

I have been surprised by the amount of damage that some cars can still race with, but I can see why you're disappointed by the rule change, Spike.

This isn't really an issue in F1 because crash damage tends to be more terminal, and only the top 10 cars score points (out of a field of 22 in 2016 and what looks like being 20 in 2017). Having said that, the teams can change a broken front wing and fit four new tires in under 15 seconds!

The body panel thing is what kills it for the teams. Before teams could basically put a new nose on or hood, bumper etc... but with this rule they are not allowed to fix that damage now with a new body panel which basically means there chances of winning or even finishing in the top ten is a real longshot especially at tracks where they need aerodynamics to be perfect. Of course this means that drivers will be extra cautious to not damage the cars until the very last lap which will equal boring follow the leader type racing.

In my opinion the garage rule really isn't necessary as the cars that go to the garage for big repairs usually don't come back on the track or if they do they are rarely a threat to other drivers or creating a "debris" caution

Five minutes in the garage? Really? Should make for a boring race come Daytona when half the cars are out of the race because they can't fix them in the garage like they use to. I love my NASCAR (y'all should know that by now...) but really...Brian France seems content on ruining a great thing. Stuff like this makes it loud and clear to me on why Jeff Gordon and Carl Edwards as well as Tony Stewart has stepped away from the sport they love.

As for the driverless car...I am sure it would be of great technology and science, but I do believe that would be the day I stopped being a NASCAR fan. I need a person to root for...I don't just go for a car with 48 on the doors. But for Jimmie Johnson. His style of racing. His character. And so on. 

General Lee is my only exception to that rule...afterall, General Lee has his own personality and story. Well not saying that the 48 car doesn't, but Jimmie Johnson is the reason I like the 48 car. Then again, The General Lee and the Duke Boys are the guilty ones who got me addicted to NASCAR (before them, racing was a waste of money and time. . .you might as well as watch your dog chase his tail...) now it's so much more to me. LOL

Guess there wasn't enough changes :rolleyes:. Now the penalty system has been rewitten.

from Jayski

NASCAR's new inspection procedures, penalties announced: NASCAR is implementing new inspection rules for the Monster Energy Cup Series that will go into effect during Speedweeks at Daytona International Speedway. According to the bulletin issued Thursday, opening inspection of stock cars will focus on fuel systems, engines and safety components. Before stock cars take to the course for qualifying or races, they will be put under more scrutiny. NASCAR officials will check fuel systems, safety components, chassis, templates, and weights and measurements. Adjustments won't be allowed in or around the inspection area any longer. "If a race vehicle fails any station, that car must correct the issue in its garage stall, and return to the first station for a full inspection, regardless of previous inspection passings," the bulletin said. This rule bulletin also covers deterrence and penalty issues. If a team is found in violation of rules, NASCAR will issue an immediate penalty rather than waiting days later. "Where possible, infractions which occur during a race weekend will be contained to that race weekend," the bulletin said. "Significant infractions will still be subject to post-event penalties."(Daytona Beach News Journal)
AND NASCAR has revised its penalty structure from six levels to two levels and plans to dish out penalties more often during race weekends for violations that occur before the race. In new rules released Thursday, NASCAR said it will replace its "warning" system with a new series of penalties. Failing inspections repeatedly and other mechanical violations found during the weekend before the race could result in penalties in the new system, such as lost practice time, lost pit selection, starting at the rear for a race or a stop-and-go on the first lap of a race. The series director will determine those penalties, basing them on severity, timing and recurrence of infractions. Unlike in the past, when a team needed to accumulate four warnings during the year before it lost pit-stall selection, the new system gives the series director more leeway in issuing punishment during the race weekend in which the violation occurred. It also eliminates speculation of what could happen if NASCAR were to confiscate a piece during inspections over the weekend. Any prerace violations NASCAR finds that it deems significant could still fall into NASCAR's new penalty structure, which now has two levels.
Level 1 infractions -- which include missing three or more lug nuts in postrace inspection; failing weight, heights or NASCAR's laser platform; as well as violations of chassis, fuel storage and gear ratio rules -- will result in a penalty of 10-40 points, a crew-chief suspension of up to three races and a $25,000-$75,000 fine. Drivers whose race-winning cars violate these rules would not be able to use the victory to qualify or advance in the playoffs, nor would they be able to use the "playoff points" associated with the win. The same "encumbered win" rule applies to the more serious Level 2 infractions, which include using traction control, unapproved electronics or manipulating the engine or tires. Level 2 penalties could result in a 75-point deduction, a six-race crew-chief suspension and a $100,000-$200,000 fine.(ESPN)
AND II The new system replaces the P1-through-P6 penalty classification which had been in effect since the start of the 2014 season. The new structure grades significant penalties into Levels 1 and 2, both of which involve points deductions and crew chief or team member suspensions that increase with a given violation's severity. LIS infractions discovered after Coors Light Pole Qualifying will result in a team's time being disallowed. Post-race, the violation falls under an L1 heading with a three-race crew chief suspension, a $65,000 fine and the loss of 35 championship points. Teams with one improperly attached or missing lug nut post-race are subject to a $10,000 fine. That fine doubles and includes a one-race suspension for the crew chief if two lug nuts are improperly attached or missing. If three or more lug nuts are in violation of the rules, the penalty rises to the L1 level with three-race suspension for the crew chief, a $65,000 fine and the deduction of 35 championship points.
" "Encumbered" finishes -- a rules concept introduced before the Monster Energy Series' playoffs last year -- will remain in effect this season for post-race L1 and L2 violations. The rules allow a victory to stand in the event of an infraction, but a winning team will be stripped of the benefits associated with the win.(NASCAR.com)(2-16-2017)

I like that they went back to single car qualifying @ Daytona again and the way they had it setup with one qualifying lap run after another was exciting. Was rooting for Clint Bowyer or Dale jr to have pole.

And attendance at the Clash race was the lowest for a big league Daytona race in more than a decade possibly 2 decades, just an estimated 15,000 tickets were sold. Tv ratings are still not in yet though. Some blame the low attendance on the rain delay to Sunday.  

Well y'all...I am here. I tried posting the other night when I didn't have much time and somehow ended up deleting  what I wrote and gave up due to how late it was. Roger...I can't believe you discriminate drivers that are not from Georgia. But then again, you did say that Dale Jr was your second favorite driver...and he's from North Carolina. Sorry to let you down Roger.

Did you happen to see who won the championship last year? (His seventh, I might add. . .) Yep...Jimmie Johnson. And he's from California. As is Jeff Gordon. Those California boys know a thing or two about racing. Then again, Kevin Harvick is from California too.

Sadly I missed the Clash last week because my nephew and niece were over. Mostly when they are over and Blue Bloods or the race is on, they know to turn the TV over to me or I will let them know when I get the TV. . .but my niece wasn't feeling good, so I decided I should probably be nice. ;) I missed qualifying as well as the races on Thursday night...but I will watch Daytona 500 tomorrow. I am so looking forward to it! I am glad that the races are back on FOX...love when the races are on FOX. First of all, yeah, Jeff Gordon. Second of all, Darrell Waltrip and Mikey Waltrip. Personally feel that they are more open and not as biased as some of the other announcers on the other stations can get. MY OPINION.

Though it will be odd to NOT see Tony Stewart, Carl Edwards, and Greg Biffle NOT out there...

OOooo I almost forgot to let y'all know the exciting news I heard about yesterday...guess who's driving the pace car for tomorrow's race!!! JEFF GORDON!!!!!!!!!!!! I am beyond excited...for at least a couple of laps my guy will be on track and leading the race! :D  I have to admit...I really miss Jeff Gordon behind the wheel of the 24 car. NASCAR hasn't been the same since he retired. I do really like Jimmie Johnson and love watching him race...but it's just different not having Jeff Gordon out there. He was the one I liked since I got into racing in  '97 (like Roger...thanks to the Dukes and the General Lee) and I got to liking Jimmie Johnson because of Jeff Gordon (Gordon pointed him out to Hendrick...Hendrick told him to put his money where his mouth is...and owns half of Johnson's car. ;) )

Talking about who I like...be interesting to see who everyone else likes...

My list is: Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson,  Dale Earnhardt Jr, Kasey Kahne, Tony Stewart, Carl Edwards. I do like Chase Elliott...still having a hard time accepting someone else in the 24 car. ;) 

Y'all's turn...

I root for anybody not in a Toyota :lol: especially the #18, he has amazing talent but a horrible attitude. I can't ever recall all three Daytona races being such a wreckfest before. They should have just raced on a figure 8 track :lol:

Sucks that once again most of the races are on Cable channels but the way the tv ratings are going it probably won't be too soon that all the races will be on the cable channels, especially now that Fox sports are putting more stick and ball sports on Fox stations. 

I am still not happy with Daytona...or Jamie McMurray. I mean, four wide...at Datyona? Really?! 

Well the race at Atlanta is winding down. The race should be called the Kevin Harvick Race as he has been in lead and not a very eventful race. Except for all the speeding penalties that they have been handing out...so far nine. Two of them going out to Jimmie Johnson. ERRRR. 

Oh well we are early in the season...I am just glad NASCAR is back.

Well Atlanta is done and in the books. Always hate to see a race end...that means I have to wait another week for the next one. LOL. I am so impatient! 

I am not a Kevin Harvick fan, but he got robbed today. . .but it  by his own doing. Got to feel bad for him. He DOMINATED the race up until 13 laps to go when he got nabbed for speeding in pit road which sent him back to the line. He finished nineth.

Brad Keselowski ended up winning the race.

That being said...I'd rather have seen Harvick win the race than Keselowski. I am definately not a Keselowski fan...at all. But I did have Keselowski on my fantasy team, so he did give me much needed points to beat Roger. :D  (Sorry for all you Keselowski fans...congrats to you and him. Was just stating my opinion. All two cents worth...) 

Kyle Larson came in second...was leading for a while after Harvick got caught speeding, but he went up on the track when he was better on the lower track in his attempt to block Keselowski who was better on top. Keselowski passed him to win eventually run the race. With that being said Kyle Larson's and Chase Elliott's wins are bound to come...sooner rather than later. Those two kids have a lot of talent.

Jimmie Johnson came home a lap down and in 19th position as he was tagged with TWO speeding violations in pit road :( ...after a rotten Daytona and a rough Atlanta he is bound for the win in Las Vegas next week. ;)  Jimmie is too good to stay down for too long...(once again, my opinion. For the two cents it's worth. ;) )

Onto the home track of the Busch brothers...Las Vegas.

Oh Roger...I thought of you. You have another driver to go for. Reed Sorenson is from Georgia as well as David Ragen. ;)

For the 2018 season there will be five 1.5 mile ovals in the Chase http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2017/3/8/las-vegas-hosting-second-monster-energy-nascar-cup-series-race-2018.html . Maybe if we're lucky for the 2019 season they will just have nothing but 1.5 mile cookie cutter ovals in the chase :rolleyes: . I do think the New Hampshire race is a bit boring but at least it was something different than the four 1.5 mile ovals currently in the Chase. And there's also this bit of news http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2017/03/06/report-nascar-considers-making-cars-quieter-in-near-future/ Might as well just pout a bunch of Tesla's on the track and call it a day. It's like they just keep pulling ideas out of the stupid hat. 

14 hours ago, Spike said:

And there's also this bit of news http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2017/03/06/report-nascar-considers-making-cars-quieter-in-near-future/ Might as well just pout a bunch of Tesla's on the track and call it a day. It's like they just keep pulling ideas out of the stupid hat. 

The current generation of F1 cars was heavily criticized for being too quiet when they debuted a few years ago. Subsequent tweaks to the engines and exhausts have restored some of the missing volume. I'll admit that the situation is different - there are half as many cars on a longer, more open track which allows the sound to escape more easily.

• 2 weeks later...