Mystery in Hazzard Swamp

*After breakfast, Jesse was putting the finishing touches on loading the truck. A day earlier, he had made arrangements with an old ridge runner friend to use his boat and Jesse had checked it out in advance to make sure it was ready to go.

Bo finished the chores and walked inside while Jesse put two gas cans in the back of the truck and checked his list to make sure that was the last thing to load.

With Bo still inside, Jesse sat on the firewood pile and loked over the farm. He was confident that he would see it again but did have an element of doubt. After all, he had seen the monster at one point in his life and it had made a huge impression on him. Just on it's size alone, it looked like it was perfectly able to kill a human with ease. He thought of Andrew's grandfather.

Rodney crowed "****-a-doodle-do" almost as if he was signaling the start of the hunt.*

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*Bo looks up from packing his own small bag of goods with the sound of the ****-a-doodle-doo and sighs heavily before zipping the bag and throwing it over his shoulder. He takes a long look around the room he shares with Luke as if taking it all in for the last time. Finally he dares to take a step forward and another step forward to walk out of his room and through the shadowy living room to find Jesse sitting on the wood pile through the closed window. Bo is quick to notice the tint of sadness, dread, and worry in his wise uncle's eyes only to reinstall his own doubts and questions within him. Nodding at himself, he steps away from the window to walk through the kitchen, taking it all in once more as the strong fresh smell of eggs and bacon that continues to linger in the thick air from breakfast. The breakfast he forced himself to eat while fighting off his nausea that had hit him with the fear his nightmares had given him. He forced himself to eat knowing it may be the last meal he may have in a long time, if not his final meal if something did happen in the swamp. If he's going to die, he might as well as die with a full stomache. Plus, if he didn't eat, it would only rise questions and worries from his uncle and Bo knew he didn't need anything else to be worrying about today. So hungry or not, he ate a plate full of food as to avoid raising Jesse's attention and worry towards him.

*Inhaling deeply he makes his way to the front door to throw it open and quickly walk down the porch steps with his small duffle bag on his shoulder. Reaching the truck, he eyes the farm as if knowing he was seeing it for the last time with hopes of returning by nightfall. Swallowing hardly he turns to Jesse and says, "Whenever you are ready to hit the road, Uncle Jesse, I'm ready." He pauses to watch a patrol car slowly driving by their drive way on the dirt road and watches it disappear, quietly wondering if it was Enos or Rosco that was driving it and wondering why they were out patrolling so early. Shrugging it off, he turns to Jesse and asks, "Not to question your authority or to try to talk you out of it, but are you sure you want to do this? Is going to the swamp with no plan to fall back on such a great idea? I mean, Luke always had an idea before we went to do things like this. Whatever you want to do, I'm behind you all the way. I'm just saying. . ."

He lets his sentence drop before he walks over to the truck to throw his bag on the floor before his eyes land upon The General Lee and a wave of emotions hit him like a brick. He'd feel much better if he were able to drive The General, at least he'd have a sense of safety in his beloved race car. 'Oh well at least if something were to happen to them while they were in the swamp, Luke'd have The General to drive.' The thought abruptly hits him before he is quick to realize that if something were to happen in the swamp as the thought had assumed, that would mean he would never see Luke or Daisy again. Never able to give them a final good-bye. Worse yet, his final words to Luke before they left the farm were words of intense anger over the fight they had. And without the chance of telling Luke he was sorry or any other attempt to tell Luke what he thought or felt of him, that would leave Luke remembering him by the words he had spoken to him. The thought sends chills racing up and down his spine and he quickly looks away from The General and up at Uncle Jesse.*

*Jesse's old bones creak as he gets up off the woodpile. He walks to the truck and stops beside it, leaning against the side panel of the truck bed. Then he looks at Bo.*

"Now, what makes you think I don't have a plan? I've been thinking this whole thing through ever since I talked to Andrew Harkness. I just hadn't talked to ya about it 'cause I didn't figure ya was comin' along."

*Jesse opens the truck door and puts his first foot in while still standing and looking at Bo*

"I'll fill ya in on my plan on the way there. Unless, of course this adventure would be a might more excitin' to ya if'n ya don't know."

*Jesse gets in drivers seat and closes door*

"Well, ya gitting in 'er not?"

*Bo eyes Jesse with a bit of irritation. What he mean he didn't think he was coming along? Did he actually think Bo could sit back and watch Jesse do this all by himself? Bo sighs heavily to swallow back his annoyance at being left out in the dark. In his mind, Jesse knew fair and well that he was coming along, he had said so several times yesterday and Jesse didn't say one word about any plan. At least with Luke, Luke would let his ideas or plans be known to him so at least he could give his two cents worth if he had an idea or so to contribute to it. Not that he had really given all that contribution to Luke's plans. Luke's plans were significant enough to get the job done and most of Bo's thoughts, ideas seemed very inadequate compared to Luke's. But still, Luke would talk to him and tell him what he was thinking. Well, that's the difference between Jesse and Luke and it was up to Bo to let it slide and get over it. After all, Jesse was his uncle and he had the first and final say to about everything.

*Bo shortly nods at Jesse as he slowly climbs into the passenger seat of the truck, hating the fact that yet agian he was not being allowed to drive. Slamming the door shut, he turns to Jesse and calmly states, "Don't matter to me what you decide to do. Tell me or not. I'm just use to Luke communicating what we're doing before we go ahead and do it. That's all. Heck just tell me what to do and as long as it is within reason, I'll do it," Bo goes silent for a moment before stating, "Well, I'm in. Let's go and get it over with."*

*Jesse starts the pick-up, puts it in gear and heads down the road, leaving dust, and the farm, behind them.*

"Judging by the tone of yer voice young man, I suspect yer not real excited about this here trip. Now, I done told ya that it's not neccessary that ya come along. If ya really don't want to come, now's yer chance to change yer mind.

Seriousely, there'd be no hard feelings if ya want me to turn around. I know this might sound odd but I'm excited about going....well, in a way, in a way I'm a might nervous too. Still, I now have a chance to answer questions that have haunted me fer 50 years. This monster still exists. That's a little surprising, since he hasn't been spotted in so long but as long as he's still alive...and I am too....I plan on looking fer answers.

I might be out there awhile. Maybe even a few days. If yer not comfortable with that, now's the time to say it, not when we're in the middle of the swamp."

*Bo eyes his uncle and takes a deep breath, realizing he needs to keep his emotions and his thoughts to himself.* "I'm going. I didn't change my mind now nor will I change it once we get there. I apologize for not being as excited about this here trip of your's as you are," he pauses to sigh heavily while looking out the window, watching the familiar scenery flash by his window, wondering if he'll be able to see it again. Only for him to slowly realize all that Jesse had said. A few days in the swamp? The thought sends chills up his back, not only because of this supposed monster but who knew what else was in the swamp. Going to the swamp was beyond his comfort zone and not having any control over what is happening or going to happen only makes it worse. At least with Luke he was able to drive most of the time to give him some control, some comfort in Luke's plan of whatever it was they were doing. "I guess I'm just use to how Luke does things, I guess. Plus I have to admit, going to the swamp wasn't on the top of my priority list; especially to chase something I know nothing about." he finishes his thoughts while looking out the window before he turns to boldly face Jesse, "I'm going. End of story."*

*The Duke men arrive at Zak's Landing on the south end of the swamp. Without saying anything to Bo, Jesse gets out of the truck and starts emptying one of the gas cans into the motor of the beat-up flat-bottom boat.

After that, he walks over to the truck and grabs two back packs, and gets ready to throw them into the boat when something catches his eye. To his left, 40 foot away, a pair of gator eyes pops up, revealing themselves because of the ripple they made when they broke the water's surface.*

"Well Bo, it looks like this adventure's going to be anything but boring. If what I'm lookin' at is a preview of what's to come, we'd better keep our eyes open wider than his."

*Jesse continues to stand still and look at the gator to show Bo where it's at.*

*Bo gets out and hauls his duffle bag to the boat and looks in at the gator to send his heart racing in it's own excitement.* "Eh no one said this adventure of your's would be boring, now did they?" *He pats Jesse on the back and gives him a wide smile* "C'mon Jess, you fraid of a little gator?" *Winks at Jesse as he helps Jesse load the boat with Jesse's gear.* "Yee Haa!!!!"

*Bo was right. The gator did make Jesse a little nervous even though he would never admit it. He was pleased that Bo had spoken in an upbeat voice and soon realized Bo's attitude could be all the difference in the world in determining if this trip would succeed or not. Jesse pretended to not be nervous when he responded.*

"Listen here young man, I was wrastlin' gators....and winning....long before you or yer momma and daddy was even born. If yer nervous though, don't hold back yer feelings. I'm here to keep ya safe just like I've done nearly yer whole life."

*All the while he was talking tough, Jesse realized there was a better chance of Bo protecting him than vise-versa but the role of "protector" was not one Jesse would give up easily.

Jesse sat on the seat of the back of the boat and brought the pull-start motor to life.*

*Eyes Jesse questionably. What did Bo have to do to prove he was going?* "Me? Nervous?" *Bo laughs, oddly feeling more comfortable than he had when he had gotten in the car. Always the one feeling more comfortable doing something rather than planning something. "I've wrastled them a time or two myself. Not comparing myself to you or what you did by any means, but me, nervous of them? That'll be the day." *Bo gets into the boat shaking his head at Jesse, trying to figure out where he is coming from.* "Though if you're nervous, Unle Jesse, I'll be more than glad to jump in there and wrastle it for you if that's what you need." *Bo smiles at Jesse and then looks down at the gator that is watching them keenly.*

*Jesse just smiles as the boat accelerates. They travel northward for a half hour until they arrive in the middle of the swamp to a small strip of land. Jesse can tell by looking at Bo's disgruntled face that his nephew has recognized their location. Jesse has brought the two of them to the landing near Swamp Molly and Cousin Alice.*

"All right Bo, let's get out and secure the boat. I have a little business to take care of here."

*Jesse shuts the motor off*

*Bo nods despite his lack of enthusiasm of being at Molly's place, knowing better to disagree or disobey his uncle. Though truth be known, he'd much rather be back there wrastling them gators they has passed by only minutes ago. Once again, he knows better than to speak his mind and to keep his thoughts to himself. Bo forces a smile at Jesse and unsteadily climbs out of the boat to begin securing the boat to land, making sure the knots are tied thick and strong. Not wanting to lose his only way of escape from Swamp Molly's and Cousin Alice's strip of land. Looking up at Jesse, he forces another smile and says, "All tight and secure."*

"Now Bo, I know things can get a little....how should I say....uncomfortable when Alice gits around you, so if you don't want to go see them, you can just stay here. I shouldn't be too long.

It sure would help if I could git a little more information out of them where they've been seein' the monster. Andrew Harkness's place is all the way on the other end of the swamp so either the monster's traveling a lot or there's two of 'em.

So, hang out here, or come with me, I really don't care either way."

*Bo silently nods at his uncle, not knowing what to do. This trip wasn't about his comfort or what he wanted. "You mean we could be facing more than one those so called monsters?" Bo can't help but to ask as he attempts to hide his emotions. As if one wasn't bad enough to begin with. . . Sighing heavily, he looks up at Jesse and confidently states, "Stop worrying about me, Jesse. I'll be fine either way," Bo pauses to look around the swamp, wondering what Luke would do before finally stating, "I'd rather stay out here and keep cover, but if you need me inside, just let me know." Bo has spent as very little of time at the swamp as he could muster living so close to it and looking around, he begins to think maybe it's about time he finds out what is so attractive to the swamp that people like Alice and Molly thrive to live there for. Not that he'll ever feel the same way. There's very little space he could drive The General and the strip of land within the swamp seemed too confined for his taste. Give him the wide open land any time over the swamp. But there had to be some reason or another that makes people want to live there, to stay there and find comfort in it. But what?*

*Jesse goes into deep thought for a second then responds*

"Well, that's what I need to find out. If Molly and Alice saw the swamp monster at the same time Andrew Harkness did, there must be more than one. It would take a couple days fer any kind of critter, except a bird, to make it that far in a short time. The quicksand between their shacks lasts fer miles and on both sides of it is nothing but briars thicker than you can imagine.

Hopefully I can find out where they've been seeing it too.

Now that I think of it, it's probably better if I go alone. Molly didn't want to talk about it last time so my best chance is Alice. If you're around, I doubt she'll be able to concentrate on anything else but gittin' you in a wrastlin' hold."

*Jesse starts walking toward the shack*

*Bo nods and watches his uncle slowly walking towards the small shack that Alice and Molly call a home before he turns around to take in his surroundings. Sighing heavily he attempts to think of what he should do or could do while his uncle is in talking to Alice before he slowly begins to walk around the building to get a better view of his surroundings.*

*Bo looks up from watching a big alligator in the swamp as he hears something that could be his uncle. Or it could be the wind. Or the monster. Or perhaps his imagination. Looking back at the alligator that eyes Bo from a distance with black beady eyes, Bo slowly takes a step away from the tree he had been resting against and whispers toward the alligator, "Later gator." Bo eyes him for another moment before he slowly turns and begins to walk back through the shrubbery and trees that he had walked through in order to get where he was after investigating the land surrounding the small house of Molly's and Alice's. Finding his way back to the house, he finds Jesse standing near the boat, looking around for him. "Hey Uncle Jesse," he greets his unle with a weary smile, "you find anything out?" Hands go in his pocket as he looks up at his uncle in anticipation.*

*Jesse was excited*

"I sure did. Hop in the boat. We're heading over to the east end of the swamp. According to Alice, there's a spot where a feller's just about gauranteed to see him. If that ain't enough, I even got Molly to talkin' about the creature.

I haven't been this excited....and worried....in a long time."

*Jesse got in the boat and fired the motor up.*

*Not seeing Jesse this excited or this emotional over any such thing, eyes Jesse questionably before stepping into the boat while thinking of what he has just said. Slowly sitting down, he says, "I'm ready. But what does this so called monster of your's look like? How big are we talking here? How many?" *Bo forces himself to relax back in his seat on the boat as he sorts through his own emotions that he struggles to keep to himself. Fearing if he were to let his emotions shown in front of his uncle, his uncle would try to prevent him from coming along to help. Even if it is already too late to turn back.*

*Jesse accelerates the motor hard while yelling at Bo. When Bo indicates that he can't hear his uncle, Jesse slows down at a more relaxed pace, slow enough to be heard. Jesse speaks loud and clear over the motor's humming*

"Alice and Molly had been fishing nearly every day over here on the east end and they've seen the beast several times. Molly was afraid to talk about it because she didn't want folks to think she was crazier than they already thinks she is.

As soon as I told her someone else has been sighting the same thing she opened up and sang like a canary. Of course, I didn't tell her who it was since I gave my word so, if you talk to her don't tell her....or anyone else fer that matter...it was Andrew Harkness.

Anyhow, they both described it just how old Andrew did...the creature stood up on two legs just like a man. It was about ten foot tall and looked like it weighed about a half ton 'er so. It had had skin like a gators, depending on the lighting, it looked black or dark green."

*Jesse paused for a moment.*

"That's exactly what I saw before Andrew's grandfather went to meet his Maker."

*a half hour later, Jesse stops the boat at the darkest, remotest part of the swamp*

"This is the place. I wouldn't worry about gators too much here. I do believe they're too scared to come to this end of the sawmp."

*Jesse gets out and asks Bo to secure the boat*

*Bo raises a questioning look at Jesse before tightly securing the boat as he was told to do while thinking of what Jesse had just said. Standing up, Bo questions, "If you don't mind me asking, Uncle Jesse, " Bo joins his uncle, "but if the gators are too scared to come to these here parts of the swamp, then what we doing here ourselves?" Bo slowly glances around the dark swamp. He didn't feel comfortable in the swamp when it was light, now his own worry and un ease over their situation worsens with Jesse's explanation of the beast they are looking for and with the intense darkness that surrounds him. Bo has always been one more trusting of any situation in the light over the dark. "Another question," he forces himself to look back at Jesse, once again masking his own worries and fears, "what you plan on doing once we find this beast of your's?"*

*Jesse looks around at the thick vegetation that drowns out the late morning sun. While it's only 10 AM the thick canopy above the trees make the swamp look as dark as a jungle. He smells the moist musty air and stretches his neck while breathing in deeply, looking like a warrior getting ready to go into battle.

For a moment Bo thinks his uncle didn't hear his question. Jesse seems completely focused with the task at hand. He felt strong and invigorated. He didn't mention it to his nephew but he hadn't felt this tough in years. His adrenalin glands were fully operating and his senses were peaked as he looks around some more. Then he reaches for the shotgun in the boat and loads two shells in the double barrel then looks at Bo.*

"I guess we'll just have to cross that bridge when we come to it."

*Bo only shrugs at his uncle as he begins to wonder away from his uncle at a somewhat safe distance. Through all of his life, he has never seen his uncle like this or seem this excited about something that could be the death of them. Glancing back at Jesse, Bo once again finds it odd how before Luke had left, he had seen Jesse and Luke in about the same light. He looked up to them both and in his eyes, they could do no wrong. They were both wise, smart, and intuitive in Bo's eyes. Everything that he seems not to be. But now being alone with Jesse, shows just how different Jesse is from Luke. Not that it was all bad, just different than what Bo had been expecting when all of this began to unravel. Now leaving him to quietly question what his role was in this so called adventure of Jesse's. Jesse knew the swamp better than Bo did, knew what they were up against more than Bo did. What would Luke do if he were me? the question repeats itself in his tired mind, only to come up blank.

Finding his way slowly back to Jesse, Bo silently nods. "If that's how it is," he shrugs, "let's go and get this little adventure of your's started." Being a man use to action, to doing something, the more he waits and plans, the more nervous and anxious Bo finds himself getting.*

*Jesse double checks to make sure the boat is tied securely. He shrugs his shoulders to get the straps of his backpack in a more comfortable position and starts walking while looking in all directions with Bo following close behind. After going a few hundred feet through the thick swamp, being careful to avoid quicksand Jesse spoke to his nephew*

"Ya know Bo, you owe yer life to this swamp. Back when yer daddy was a little feller he come down with marsh fever. Modern medicine had no cure for it but I found my great grandpappy's book of Choctaw Indian cures that he made after befriending an old Choctaw Chief. After studying it, I came to this very area to find the medicinal plants needed to save my little brother.

Of course there's no way of knowing if he would have died or not without it but most folks who got the marsh fever never lived through it.

A lot of folks think the swamp is a horrible place and avoid it. I have to admit it's not the most comfortable place in the world but if you know what yer doing ya could survive out here indefinitely. The Choctaws did. This place is full of life and lots of food a feller can survive on....as long as you don't get the good plants mixed up with the poison ones."