RogerDuke

Since this forum hasn't been used for awhile I thought I'd get things stirred up.

I saw Avatar several weeks ago and I was wondering what other folks thought of it. The visual effects were expectedly spectactular but I didn't necessarily think the plot was that great. They simply took what the Europeans did to the native American Indians and made it into a futuristic story. (I'm sure stuff like that went on in lots of other countries too besides North America).

I'm not complainig. The movie was worth the money just for the special effects alone but the story-line didn't have enough twists in it to satisfy me. What do you think?

Also, does anybody know how they got the name for the movie? I see the Avatar cartoon is becoming a movie but they're calling it "The Last Airbender" and not using the name Avatar. I wonder if that will still be the main character's name in the movie like it was in the cartoon.

I saw it a couple of weeks ago. DIdn't think I would, it isn't the type of movie I am interested in. But am glad I saw it. I liked the movie and the characters. Knew it was fake and all taht, but they had me holding on hoping that it would work out in the end. Don't know anything about the title or the cartoon, but it was a good movie. I see what you are talking about Roger with the plot behind it - that is probably where they got it from. All in all it was a good movie I thought - better than I had thought it would be. ;)

Being the anime freak that I am Rog, I had absolutely no clue that they were making a live action movie of it! I love Avatar: The Last Airbender....What exactly are you asking in the last part of your paragraph Roger? This part:"I wonder if that will still be the main character's name in the movie like it was in the cartoon."...Aang is the main character's name, are you asking if they'll still call him an Avatar even after they made the "Avatar" movie? If so, then they better or else the movie wouldn't make sense at all and Aang would only be known as Aang the Airbender, they would have to change the name of the anime. I think what you may be referring to is when they call Aang the Avatar sometimes lol it's like a race of sorts in the anime I guess you could say.

Sorry I got off topic on you guys, Ive not watched the movie but have read on some sites some interesting things. I think the land in Avatar is called Pandora? Ive read that people have actually considered committing suicide after watching this movie due to the fact that Pandora was so enticing and beautiful that they wanted to live there...then reality slapped them in the face and depressed them.

Anyone who gets so caught up in a fantasy world, of any kind, that they don't wanna live in the real one... I don't know, I think there must be something else going wrong in their lives. I mean, how many people, as famous and loved as the universes are, really get depressed about or believe in Star Trek or Middle Earth, for big examples? (If there's a lot, I don't know what's in people's heads, lol.) I kinda see Avatar the same way.

Personally, I really liked the movie. There was an obvious Native American type storyline to it, but I think it was just plain supposed to be, and if accepted as such it didn't bother me any. The characters really caught you into their feelings and lives - it was a very emotional-passion-driven film, augmented by the music and imagery - and the alien world and animals and all were incredibly fascinating. Then again, I have a from-childhood history with science fiction...

Thanks for setting me straight on that Lori. I forgot that his name was Aang, I was thinking his name was Avatar. My mistake.

I'm not even sure what the word Avatar means. I'd never heard that word until a few years ago when that cartton came out.

Now I wonder if they'll still call Aang an Avatar in the movie or if they won't because the movie Avatar has rights to the word.

All I know is, my Uncle Jesse avatar has them both beat.

Anyone who gets so caught up in a fantasy world, of any kind, that they don't wanna live in the real one... I don't know, I think there must be something else going wrong in their lives

I know what you mean Lukas KD. It's a good thing Hazzard County is real. Otherwise folks would think I'm about a half bubble off plum.

It's cool, Rog ;) Like I said, it's easy just to know Aang by being called the Avatar because that's what he is and that's why most usually call him only by Avatar.

The anime was out before the movie so I would say that James Cameron may have had to get the OK from the writer of Avatar the Last Airbender. Someone correct me on this if Im wrong please, don't wanna give out false info here. But, yeah they'll have to call him Avatar in the movie or else the whole anime will have made no sense nor will the movie. It's, well, actually like the Dukes of Hazzard and where I'm from. They had to contact the mayor before they used "Hazzard" hence why they had to put another "Z" in the name. I think Gy also had to check our local phone book to make sure he didn't use any local's name.

Also Rog, they could have used a different context of the word "Avatar", in the film with the aliens it could be used to mean something completely different than what the anime refers to. According to hinduism the word "Avatar" means something like a reincarnation or a descendant of a deity.

I agree with ya 100% Lucas. I've heard of people getting into the movie and all, but that's taking it to a whoooole other level.

I find it really sad and depressing to hear that someone could get so involved in a story or a movie and the fictional world that it was lived in that they would even think of committing suicide over when they come to realize that it was only fictional. I agree, there must be a whole lot of things that are going wrong in their life - that a lone is sad as well.