Redneck Sleds

Elly May Duke

Well, this ain't exactly a redneck sled, but it's fun when your bored at work! lol

I work at a ski hill and we have platter tows. (You put a stick with a plastic circle on the end between your legs and it will pull you to the top of the hill) Anyways, it was realllyy slow today, so we had competitions between most everybody employed at the ski hill to see who could get the furthest up the hill standing on a shovel. Then we got too good at that, so we sprayed the bottom of the shovel with WD-40, so it was really slippery. That was a little harder! lol

Also, a guy I work with and I rigged-up a sled out of old broken snowboards. we pretty much just lashed a bunch of boards together like a raft and took the bindings off so you could sit on it. We could fit 3 people on it. and you get going! Trust me! Lol

Something else that has been labeled as redneck round here (also made me and my neighbors famous for awhile. We were the talk of the town for a few months! LOL) I live in an area in Northern Alberta known as Dunvegan. It's pretty much a great big valley that the Peace River runs through. The valley is pretty steep where the main highway goes through. So this summer, my neighbors and I went out a bought three of those little plastic kiddie tricycles and rode down the Dunvegan hill on them! It was sooo fun! There's a video of it on Facebook, I don't know if Dan put it on YouTube or not. I'll ask and if he did then I'll put a link up. But it was sooooo fun! We got going REALLY FAST! We were going close to 55mph by the time we hit the bridge at the bottom of the hill!

So that's my redneck sledding adventures..not all of them involde sleds, but they all involve going up and down hills fast! LOL

I've used pieces of tin with a rope on it pulled around by my cousin at my grandparents (back many moons ago when I was a kid). My sis and some cousins used those 32 gallon black trash bags at least I think that was the size it was the biggest ones available I know but they made pretty good sleds downhill over terse rows in the pastures.

*Jesse still irritated talking on CB*

"I don't want no snow cream. I want my kids to git on home in one piece.

Besides, we got a farm ta run. If I git on out there in the barn and see you didn't git all your chores done before runnin' off, I'm taking the keys to yer plastic sleds away. And I don't know what yer talkin' about Elly May. I was never yer age."

Plastic Trash bags do work well. Metal trash can lids with WD 40 on the bottom work well too. I've used the saucer sleds but it's not quite the same. I've also used snow shovels as sleds. I only had one real sled growing up, and we used to WD 40 that sucker alright!

Oh we used to go sledding at this one church and my brother and I got cussed more than once. I was like five and there was a road a the bottom, my brother was like, three... we never stopped the 'sled' before we got to teh bottom, we bailed out!although i think we did use the saucer sleds some friends had that year. We also had a habit of sledding on hills with fences at hte bottom or a forest at the bottom....

There was the time two of my cousin's decided to go sledding on a hill with a creek at the bottom. That did not go well. THey grabbed old boat that wouldn't float, patchedt he holes with mud and snow, and went sledding down it... expecting to float on the creek... Needless to say as you guessed, it didn't work. They aren't very bright.

Plastic Trash bags do work well. Metal trash can lids with WD 40 on the bottom work well too. I've used the saucer sleds but it's not quite the same. I've also used snow shovels as sleds. I only had one real sled growing up, and we used to WD 40 that sucker alright!

Haha! Someone else who uses WD 40 when things ain't goin fast enough! I like your style! lol

I have to agree. I've always been into the speed thing with sledding, but i've never been pulled by anything. My mom always said it was too dangerous, and aside from that, it's illegal in most places.

In addition to WD 40, rollar skate oil or grease or whatever it's called is even slicker than that.

Man the things ya'll are saying about speed is just making me itch to try out a coupla things ya'll so thoughtfully mentioned... that being said I wonder if I could convince my sweetie to pull be behind his 4 wheeler....hmmmm how would I convince him to do this.....next problem would be snow. Lol I think I'm in trouble . Trying to get all of it lined up could be a problem, but then I got 6 weeks of winter left, this could be arranged I think.