Stories?

enosgal

Hey, first of all, I love almost any Dukes story I read. I am usually a lurker, loving the talent of all ya'll writers. But, what has happened to the stories here? I have been trying to read round robin ones and just get confused. There is some continuity, but they jump around to places that characters weren't before and it's hard to follow. I sincerely appreciate all your efforts, but is there some way for you to re-read the back story so you can keep it on the same sheet of music? Thanks for the efforts anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Its good to see someone other then me and a few others have eyes around here. Theres too many one liners and not half of this material around here makes a bit of sense!

Ya'll should be ashamed. Ive raised hell over this before and I'll do it again, Hazzard is MY home too and I wont stand for this! If I have to I will hault these stories as I did before, if I dont see improvement.

Gettin to look like Hazzard needs a Warden.

Where do I apply for the job?

~Chet

Thanks for the support. I used to enjoy coming here, but with these younger writers, it seems like they're texting to each other only using the writing board to do it. It's boring and the stories are all the same. I love Daisy/Enos, but does every story have to have a rape, pregnancy, and Daisy questioning everything she used to believe in? I realize this is fanfiction, but rape and its consequences have long-lasting effects, not the brush-off it receives here. And my version of Daisy is not the meek, depressed, woe-filled girl here. Sorry for venting, I'm just frustrated. Thanks for listening.

Enosgal it's venting that might get some changes please if you have more to say post it that is the only way your voice and the voices of other frustrated readers will be heard.

B.L.

Awright, one of my longtime, loyal informers said there was a dispute in the RR's again.

I'm one of those people who work 40 hours a week - more than - and when I did participate in the RR's, I made sure the posts acknowledged what went on before, and moved the story forward. (MaryAnne and I have been gunslinging on RR's before HazzardNet.)

I left the RR's years ago, mainly due to lack of time, but I did have a hand in crafting them. Sometimes the stories petered out on their own. Other times, good stories were ruined, or derailed, by posts that made no friggin' sense. We did our best to skip around bad posts and carry on, but eventually you get discouraged. Especially if people seem to ignore your post on purpose and just post garbage that doesn't connect to anything.

At the same time, HazzardNet tries to allow everybody to participate. If somebody's writing skills are a bit weak, we'd rather let them have a place to at least TRY writing. We've watched some people improve their skills by leaps and bounds here. We're proud of that, and we're hesitant to get so restrictive that somebody doesn't get a chance to grow.

However, nobody learns by reading crap or writing crap. Plus, I don't want to see people driven away from the RR's because they're frustrated and pissed off by posts that wreck an otherwise good story.

Are the offenders "wrecking" stories or are they playing tennis by themselves in their own stories? I agree that some standards should be maintained, but I'm also big into the whole First Amendment thang.

I'm not complaining just to complain, I just wanted to let ya'll know how I felt. I used to enjoy reading the stories here, some of them very good, I just can't follow a lot of them anymore. Guess my lack of internet/technical experience is showing, but I like a story that contains something even if it's bad. I can't write to save my life, but I love a good story and follow several sites. I do want to thank all the writers out there for all their efforts. God bless ya'll.

I'm not complaining just to complain, I just wanted to let ya'll know how I felt. I used to enjoy reading the stories here, some of them very good, I just can't follow a lot of them anymore. Guess my lack of internet/technical experience is showing, but I like a story that contains something even if it's bad. I can't write to save my life, but I love a good story and follow several sites. I do want to thank all the writers out there for all their efforts. God bless ya'll.

It ain't unreasonable, to want a story that contains something. Heh!

Ok, time for my 2 cents. As moderators of these forums, we don't like to have to step in. We like for our members to be able to post freely, as long as it isn't harassing, disruptive, or offensive.

We have all levels of writing ability here. We already had this discussion a while back and we did some remodelin' to move threads to more appropriate sub-forums. We asked you all to rate various fanfic threads to give us an indication of what you thought the quality was so we could move the lower quality ones out of the main FanFic forum. That doesn't mean you should just give good ratings to the high quality stories. You should also give bad ratings to the poor quality ratings.

If the quality of the story bothers you so much, either 1) don't read it or 2) if there's a discussion thread about it, offer CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. And by constructive, I don't mean "Your writing sucks. Work on it." Give specifics and details. "I really don't think the part where Daisy reacts this way works. Here's how she reacts in similar situations in the show..." or "you should spend a little more time describing the scene or developing the character", etc.

Perhaps in addition to the Fan of the Month, we should highlight a quality fanfic (either finished or in progress) to bring members' attentions to. Nominations will be based on thread ratings. So get out there and rate those fanfics!

Oh, and Cowboy, nobody puts a halt to anything around here except for me, MaryAnne, or Brian. Got it?

Meadow,

I do apologize, I know how cocky, arrogant, mouthy, sarcastic and every thing else Ive been so colorfully referred to over the years. I did not intend to be this time and I do apologize.

Again, I do not wish to sling attitude and hope this dont come out that way. I also hope that you understand my intentions of halting the stories, after all these years I have learned many lessons...but most of all Hazzardnet has become my one and only home. You should know, I am not a roaming muse, this is where I was born and this is where I will die.

As of the spring of this 20-10 I will have been here for 10 years, only now do I see and understand truely what is so beautiful about this place. It kills me to see what I have been seeing for some time, and you know me, what hurts tends to cause anger. But perhaps others should know by example what this place can produce. Look at me... I started out as a hellion, I wanted nothing but trouble. Now I like to consider myself a fair to decent muse and writer here in Hazzard.

I reckon I have spoke my peace and the only thing I have left to say is that, I do not have to put a halt to the stories to be heard or make a stand. Ive been thrown under the jail, I have been forever banned and exiled, but what these green horns are doing is worse then anything I coulda ever done to this place. I can only pray for a better future of writers, but from where it stands now, it dont look good.

}~*Chet

Enosgal, Cowboy, BL Davenport I so agree with you all. I am as loyal to HN as I can be but lately have 'vacationed' elsewhere. In our last round up on this issue several stories go moved to more correct locations which is great. (One of mine even was lost in action and I am still trying to get most of it reposted.) But what good did it do?

As for the Fan of the Month, I would like to offer my Congrats to BL Davenport. And, as for the writer of the month I think that is great it give new writers something to try to obtain, but can I offer a suggest to go along with with it that I think Chet will like. How about the moderators airing out the mattresses of the Hazzard jail and for those who get the worse reviews (that are legit -- not just picking or mean) why not list them as a resident of the jail for that month?? Seems fair. You reward Positive and Negative behavors equally and there is no deleting or sensor ship of the materials. Just the same stigma as seeing your name in the paper for having to pay a speeding ticket. It would give them a chance to maybe get some pointers and individual attention from more experienced writers.

As I've said before I've even copied and edited and sent some stuff back to writers to show them how a good idea could look if punctuated spaced even near correct. I've also offered to help by proof reading before they post and never been contacted.

DixieDavenport

There's been some good feedback on this thread and the "Say No to One-Liners" thread, which probably has the latest on the proposals going around. Everyone's input is appreciated and will be considered.

I like the idea of a "Hazzard County Jail" section, tho' I might use that for a variety of purposes. It'd be a hoot to list somebody in there at random, then given that person a "bail" of sorts, being a task they'd have to complete, in order to be "released."

Like, for example, I threw Chet Duke in there. Chet's "bail" might be, a 100-word essay on Why Brian Coltrane Is The Best Moderator Anywhere.

Tho' I might pitch Roger Duke in there first, just becasuse he'd get a kick out of it.

I actually didn't think anyone but Chet would like it glad at least you did. We ran one at the County Fair for the Fire Dept. A dollar donation got them to pick you up, it took two to get you out. You couldn't pay it or we'd leave ya there for 15 minutes.

I could see the essay as being a good bail for some of out one line addicts!

PLEASE????? I was a Correctional Officer for 11 plus years, so I'll even help out to keep the local law on the roads so they can enforce other crimes in Hazzard!

DixieDavenport

I was a Correctional Officer for 11 plus years, so I'll even help out to keep the local law on the roads so they can enforce other crimes in Hazzard!

DixieDavenport

Tell ya what! Feel free to rat out some offenders, and we'll get the warrants out on 'em. The Hazzard County Jail is officially open. Roger's our first "guest." He hasn't realized this yet. Heh!

I'm ponderin' his bail.....hmmm...

There could be a writer who turns in stuff just to be there all the time. What about members who really aren't looking for feedback?

Will jail be an option that folks can choose to participate or not?

People gotta earn their way OUT of jail, not into it. It's very easy to get in. This is Hazzard, after all.

Jail's always an option in Hazzard County...

And to take the first thang last, if a writer isn't lookin' for feedback....then they can ignore it. But it's always gonna be there. Any type of art is gonna bring opinion.

People gotta earn their way OUT of jail, not into it. It's very easy to get in. This is Hazzard, after all.

Jail's always an option in Hazzard County...

And to take the first thang last, if a writer isn't lookin' for feedback....then they can ignore it. But it's always gonna be there. Any type of art is gonna bring opinion.

Maybe all of this controversy will help get more comments from readers?

It'll be fun to see what people get arrested for. Good idea, Dixie!

• 8 months later...
Ok, time for my 2 cents. As moderators of these forums, we don't like to have to step in. We like for our members to be able to post freely, as long as it isn't harassing, disruptive, or offensive.

We have all levels of writing ability here. We already had this discussion a while back and we did some remodelin' to move threads to more appropriate sub-forums. We asked you all to rate various fanfic threads to give us an indication of what you thought the quality was so we could move the lower quality ones out of the main FanFic forum. That doesn't mean you should just give good ratings to the high quality stories. You should also give bad ratings to the poor quality ratings.

If the quality of the story bothers you so much, either 1) don't read it or 2) if there's a discussion thread about it, offer CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. And by constructive, I don't mean "Your writing sucks. Work on it." Give specifics and details. "I really don't think the part where Daisy reacts this way works. Here's how she reacts in similar situations in the show..." or "you should spend a little more time describing the scene or developing the character", etc.

Perhaps in addition to the Fan of the Month, we should highlight a quality fanfic (either finished or in progress) to bring members' attentions to. Nominations will be based on thread ratings. So get out there and rate those fanfics!

Oh, and Cowboy, nobody puts a halt to anything around here except for me, MaryAnne, or Brian. Got it?

The commander has spoken, where are the ratings?