Is it just me?

RogerDuke

I'm guessing that I'm the only person on the HazzardNet who feels this way but I thought I'd throw these comments out there anyways just so the few new folks out there who didn't know I'm crazy know it now.

Recently I was chatting with someone and the subject of "Christmas Comes To Willow Creek" came up. I know I should like the stuff that the Dukes stars did after Dukes was done filming but I don't as much as I should. Well, I kinda do......but I don't love it a lot. I know I should and I really want to support the stars of the show but I can't seem to see past Hazzard County. Words can't describe how appreciative I am of the actors and of everyone involved in making the show (especially Gy Waldron) but I have just never been able to get into any post-Dukes stuff.

I love the real actors who played on the show but I love the characters much more. To me, Tom Wopat is not real. Luke is. John Schneider is just some fellow who played Superman's dad. Bo Duke is still in his twenties chasing girls and running from the law in Hazzard....and he always will be. I can't accept anything else and nobody can make me. I couldn't even accept the reunion movies. All three Dukes would have never left Jesse at the same time.

Besides God and family, The Dukes of Hazzard has been the single most important thing that has influenced my life. Part of me realizes that it was just a show. A bigger part of me realizes that it's NOT just a show and that second part overwhelmes the first part so much, I just cannot accept the fact that Hazzard County isn't real...and I won't. Maybe I'm cracking up but I don't care.

I still buy stuff put out by the Dukes stars like Tom and John's music, Ben Jones' and James Best's book etc., and I recommend every Dukes fan does because it's good stuff but I just can't accept the fact that they were only actors. I guess there's a big DISadvantage to being such a die-hard fan and living in such a fantasy world. But there's a big advantage too. In my world, Jesse and Boss are still around...and Waylon's still talking about 'em.

First of all, thank-you Roger for posting your post here...it gives me some comfort knowing that I am not the only one stuck in Hazzard county. ;)

I agree...the realistic part of me realizes the Dukes are just a TV show and that the actors, actresses, producers, creater, writers, and all the other people it took to create and put the Dukes on TV left behind at the end of each working day. And at the end of the show, they had just left the characters and the show behind to work on "new" shows and new things to help finance them and their families. True they made appearances had Dukefests for all the fans to enjoy and it all is great and am very glad and grateful that they took time out in their busy and hectic schedules to do that...to visit the fans and to keep the show alive. If not for that, I would never had the special occasions to meet as many of the living actors as I did from the show or get their autographs. But the adventures of Bo and Luke, Boss and Rosco, Jesse, Daisy, and Cooter had all seemed to lay to rest with the end of the show and at the end of the reunions (though I agree, am not a big fan of the reunions myself. Though am always glad to see something or anything to do with the original Duke characters.)

Though I know the Dukes is just a "show" it is also more than just a show as you pointed out Roger. It is something special and something I will always concider one of my favorites no matter how outdated it seems to be. Hazzard is a place I would dream of living in, being able to know Bo, Luke, daisy, Jesse, and Cooter as well as the law would be great. To live in a place to watch the excitement and drama of the Dukes vs the local law and allt he other bad guys/gals that visited Hazzard time in and time out, yet knowing at the end, there will be an happy ending. That all will be Ok when it all ends. To know the good always wins and where everyone respects one another, helps one another, would be great. I doubt that there is a person on this site that wouldn't love to live in Hazzard, to be able to witness first hand The General outbeating the local compitition or the law, or just to know the characters of the show. In a word to sum up living in Hazzard would be "awesome".

So in short, Roger, I agree with you. I have seen a few episodes of Smallville and do own a few Schneider and a Wopat CD as well as seen a few other shows that they have been in - it is not the same. I have never seen Christmas comes to Willow Creek - though I would love to do so. I am a fan of Tom, John, Ben, James and all the actors and actresses on the show, but I agree with you Roger -I am a much bigger fan of Bo, Luke, Daisy, Jesse, Cooter, Boss, and Rosco, Enos.

I guess in other words, Roger, I am trying to say - you are not the only one to feel that way. :D

Thanks Garrett *smiles* I really appreciate your thoughtful post.

I saw "Christmas Comes to Willow Creek" a long time ago. I hope ABC Family or somebody runs it sometime this month. If anybody sees it coming up please post it. It really is good. Hopefully you'll get a chance to see it.

I've never seen it but since it has John and Tom in it I'm sure its awesome and my Dad's said he's seen it but I really want to see it and I agree, I hope they do show it sometimes this month.

I daydream of a place like Hazzard County more and more often lately. I also agree with Roger and Garrett, it was so much more than a show. When I think of the stars of the show, my first thought it almost always, Forever Young. What I mean by that is when I watch an episode, they will always be young in that episode, they will never grow old or move away. They will always be right there. All I have to do is flip on the XBox or the computer and pop in a DVD and there they are. It's very comforting to know that Uncle Jesse will put everything to rights and all will be well in the end. I love happy endings and here in the real world we don't have very many of those. It seems like no matter how much praying I do these days God says wait and no more often than I'd like. Obviously he sees the whole picture and I don't so a little patience might be in order here. Lol now that's not something that I've never really had much of. Any tips anyone?

Well texasdaisy09, it sounds like you answered your own question.

He does see the whole picture much better than any of us.

As far as you not having much patience, I could help you with that but I really don't have the patience to explain it right now.

Your post reminded me of my all time favorite quote from the show. It's from Uncle Jesse's old girlfriend Lucinda Meadows from the episode "The Legacy"

"Well, I put myself in the hands of the Lord and He put me in the hands of the Dukes and I reckon you can't get a better combination than that."

Daney - out of curiosity, if it was a nice experience then why are you struggling with Hazzard County? Sorry if I am prying, you don't have to answer it if you don't want to, just something that got me wondering. I'd hate to see anyone struggling with Hazzard or the Dukes.

That's why I assumed it had not been a good experience. Gotta admit I'm curious too. LOL. And yeah, ya don't have to answer if you don't want to.

• 1 year later...
Daney - out of curiosity, if it was a nice experience then why are you struggling with Hazzard County? Sorry if I am prying, you don't have to answer it if you don't want to, just something that got me wondering. I'd hate to see anyone struggling with Hazzard or the Dukes.
That's why I assumed it had not been a good experience. Gotta admit I'm curious too. LOL. And yeah, ya don't have to answer if you don't want to.

Sorry for the delay.

“Jerry Rushing is an amazing man who has led an amazing life. Without him, John Schneider as “Bo Duke†never would have existed. Thanks for loaning me your life, Jerry!†-John Schneider -

Simply, I'd try to write and see a young Jerry as Bo. Werid huh? I'm back to Bo is Bo from the show. All is well.

It is so hard to tell yourself that the dukes is not real but remember we dont have to tell ourself that we can believe whatever we want, for me the bad part is people getting older I mean you see the show and John was 18 Tom was 27 and it is depressing to see some of the cast members have passed away and some of them have lived over half or 3/4 of there life. I am only 25 and I think about John was 25 when they stopped filmingand he is almost 51 now that is how fast my life is going to go by but that is why I decided to live my life believing what I want(about the Dukes) the dukes is real to me always have been and always will be John is always going to be Bo he knows that and I dont think he cares as he is still very much into dukes Tom will always be Luke Cathy will always be daisy and so on the people were real and the places were real so the show was real.

• 5 months later...

@Roger: Same here. It's not bad to have dreams and/or to keep ones dreams.

But at my stage it was a bit too much, I guess. I have a really big problem with growing older. Not, that I am afraid of aging, that's not the point, since I don't look my age, but with growing older as of growing an adult.

But nothing stays the same and forever and I had to realize that last year in a very drastically way. After I had a depression because of that, I tried to move on and it really did help... at least a bit.

But still it's not forbidden to have dreams and even dreamworlds, if you are able to leave these worlds, if necessary.

@Roger: Same here. It's not bad to have dreams and/or to keep ones dreams.

But at my stage it was a bit too much, I guess. I have a really big problem with growing older. Not, that I am afraid of aging, that's not the point, since I don't look my age, but with growing older as of growing an adult.

But nothing stays the same and forever and I had to realize that last year in a very drastically way. After I had a depression because of that, I tried to move on and it really did help... at least a bit.

But still it's not forbidden to have dreams and even dreamworlds, if you are able to leave these worlds, if necessary.

There's value in having a private sanctuary or two, even if they're only in your head...or online. Everybody needs an escape.

And everybody needs dreams.