Anyone trying to lose weight?

DUKES1466

Nothing is more frusterating than when you know you're overweight and it's next to impossible to lose it. After three kids and horrbile eating habits, I have had days where I have almost if not completly cried my eyes out. I am to the point where I really hate shopping for clothes. I avoid it like I avoid needles. But I have heard it's not so much how much you exercise, it has a lot to do with what you eat. I'm not saying that no exercise is a good idea but that just turning to healthy foods goes a very long way toward reaching your ideal weight. I also hate the fact that the images of painfully skinny people being praised as being "healthy"when more often than not they aren't healthy in the least. Good luck all and God Bless!

Well I am in the same boat of really needing to lose weight! I have been facing the fact for a while now and even attempted to do so, but lack the personal discipline that it will take to do so. I really need to stop eating as much as I do and eat healthier food as well as exercising a lot more than I do...such as walking Lilly - my dog - more than I do. I need to stop percrasinating on starting the diet and actually put it into action - find the motivation to start the diet today instead of tomorrow.

Perhaps if we would start something here for everyone working on losing weight to help motivate them...positively that is. I don't know, just a thought though don't know what it would be. LOL.

Since folks here on the HazzardNet are just about as competitive as Bo and Luke, maybe you could start a "Biggest Loser, Hazzard County" competition.

I agree with you Dukes1466. Most of those models are unhealty. Have you seen the Dove Soap commercial where they're teaching young girls self esteem by ignoring those ads? It's pretty good. My wife said that Oprah was promoting it also.

I'm with both Garrett and RogerDuke, I think it would be nice to have something on her to support everyone.

I'll kick things off then. I have lost 11.5lb to date, but still a very long way to go, really struggling at the moment. I too find it hard to motivate myself to excersise. I've decided to take it half a stone at a time, that way it doesn't seem such a huge task.

I find it helps me to go to a class every week, we have Slimming World in the UK, it's fantastic, you can eat as much as you like as long as it is the right type of food. They also have a section on their website for USA, maybe it would help.

http://www.slimmingworld.com/

Good Luck everyone for this week.

Way to go Dukes1466 on losing the 11.5 pounds that you did! You may feel stuck at where you are right now and feel frustrated with it, but please don't forget what you have already accomplished! That is an amazing act all in itself and shouldnt' be overlooked. You have to start somewhere and it starts by taking the first step and probably a lot slower than what you may wish. 11.5 lost pounds is a great start and maybe you can push yourself ahead by using that alone as motivation to continue on your diet - if all that makes sense.

And if we are to compete...you are way ahead of me who has yet to lose anything or to really start anything. LOL. I am trying to bribe myself in order to lose weight and into motivation. So far it hasn't worked. I stated if I can start by losing five pounds I can order season four of Numb3rs which I have yet to get...lose five more then I can actually watch it. LOL. As I said, so far it hasn't pushed me into losing weight so maybe it wont' work. Who knows...I need some motivation otherwise I will stay where I am at now.

Good luck Dukes1466 and great job at losing the weight you already lost! :D

Hehehe...you know something, I learned that by using your brain you can burn calories.

I eat a lot of sweets. I mean, who doesn't? :D I have one of the biggest sweet tooths you've ever seen (or saw...which ever, can't really remember what tense the words are in anymore...some author eh?)

Anyways... I'm not trying to lose weight. I'm happy just being me. While losing weight is good and it helps raise the self esteem and your out look on your own appearance, It's just another thing to be all stereotypical about.

Fact is, in the harsh reality...no one will ever be the perfect size...you're either too skinny or too fat to put it bluntly.

While losing weight does sound like a genius idea I need to take into consideration, I'm happy with the size I am, I can't change it no matter what I do because weight is also in your genetics.

Moral of the story is...you are you, and it doesn't matter what's on the outside...it's whats on the inside that's most important. You can never have too big a heart! :D

With y'all there, but if this helps anybody I hve lost 23 pounds since April (well actually it started cause of a surgery I had for my mouth but) I actually just started first cutting out snacks that got me down five then I got to where I ate a reasonable amount of breakfast lunch and dinner as well as I ride a stationary bike everyday for 30 minutes. . .so I went from 123 to 100 though for me that's a good wieght because I'm only 4"9' so anyhow. . .if this helps y'all. . .I agree what y'all say about really skinny people too.

Elly May - all that does sound like good ideas on losing weight. ;)

I also feel the same way about too skinny of people as you are saying...getting over carried away and losing too much weight and not eating enough, is definately not healthy and it doesn't send the right message along to anyone either. And I agree, it would be hard to be at the perfect weight and to keep it there, all I want to do is to get to a weight that I can be happy at and to work at keeping it there.

I'll be checking back here for more motivation. My first order of business is going to be buying a bathroom scale. I've been dreading it and putting it off for a long time, say about 4 years. Next on my list is going to be trying to get in some exercise each day. As far as today goes, I got all the exercise that I need by chasing my husband. Long story. Anyway I'll check back soon if anyone has any tips, I'd welcome them. I'll post any I come across. Good luck everyone!

I just thought I'd let everyone know that I've got a tip that might help. Apparently drinking ice cold water is better than just warm or barely cold water. The reasoning behind this is that the energy your body uses to warm the water is burning a lot of calories. There ya have it if you think it works let me know.........

Water is also a big point of mine I haven't drank anything but water, green tea and regular tea sice April. I feel GREAT

and yeah a little input on y'all about the too skinny. My brother used to date a dancer girl who was size zero and all and I used to think all the time 'man i wish i was as skinny as her so I can relate to where y'all are going there. Now my brother has a girl who playes field hockey and she's a much better influence cause she is more normal, just exercies and does and doesn't do thinkgs that are helthy. but yeah good luck to y'all

Water is also a big point of mine I haven't drank anything but water, green tea and regular tea sice April. I feel GREAT

and yeah a little input on y'all about the too skinny. My brother used to date a dancer girl who was size zero and all and I used to think all the time 'man i wish i was as skinny as her so I can relate to where y'all are going there. Now my brother has a girl who playes field hockey and she's a much better influence cause she is more normal, just exercies and does and doesn't do thinkgs that are helthy. but yeah good luck to y'all

What I was sayin' in my post down there is like..in my school alot of the girls will lose weight to look like Paris Hilton and the girls (Most of the time populat girls) always tell me that I should start losing weight and maybe I'd get better friends....I don't listen to them because I already have great friends that don't care about my weight.

Yeah it is stupid when girls say that and wow. . .I mean get better friends? that's like saying i would have better friends if my hearing was better. . .but yeah I'm with you for not listening to them . . .I am so accustomed to tunning out what people say to me at school I tune out pretty much everything they say even if I don't mean to.

No we don't have 'Slimming World' in the US but there are weight loss groups and magizines of all sorts here. Weight Watchers is a common weight loss group or Jenny Craig is another. I'm in one called T.O.P.S. (Taking Off Pounds Sensibily), and it's worked for me. Every T.O.P.S. chapter has meetings once a week and we record our progress. I'm still working on lossing weight and I'm about half way to my goal weight. Then when you have lost your weight in T.O.P.S. you get bumped into being a K.O.P.S. (Keeping Off Pounds Sensibily), they don't just leave you in T.O.P.S., they help you out and keep supporting you for as long as you feel you need it. I realize that I need to stay with T.O.P.S. because of the acountability. Weight loss for some people is something they have to think about every day and have to be concerned about it. I don't have a high enough metabolism to process food like everyone else and yes, it's a struggle for me. However, it's no excuse for me to be overweight and allow myself to slowly kill my body with over-eating or even lack of exercise because I'm born that way.

Things that are working for me, is to measure my portions, exercise regularly, eat three sensible meals a day, look for spiritual guidance and drink 8 cups of water a day or more, and not eat two hours before bedtime. These tips, I have stuck by and they have helped me loose a large amount of weight. You're going to have slow weeks and fast weeks, where you loose a lot or bearly any at all. Having a weight problem, a real weight problem, I'm talking about over 50 pounds or more overweight, is like being an alcholic. Food becomes a drug to an severally overweight person. You're also stuck in cycles of habits that are unhealthy and they are hard to break. It's hard for someone who is skinny and never had to deal with this problem to understand what it is like.

What spurred me to loose weight? It was a number of issues going on in my life currently, but the biggest one is the realization that I'm creeping up to one of those 'mile stone' birthdays soon and I go 'God am I old! Look at the shape I'm in! I'm going to die if I don't do something.' So yes, I'm trying to loose and I'm thankful you brought this up. Maybe we need a weight loss group on the group section in Hnet, 'The Hazzard Fat Farm'! LOL.

Val

• 3 weeks later...

You know, I can just hear ol' Waylon saying this...."Ya just never know what you'll find on Hazzardnet; or in Hazzard for that matter."

I am almost 15 years removed from High School, I am seriously overweight. I maintained an average 260-280 in High School. I lost a couple of roles in Drama Club productions due to this weight. Which sucked when the young man they eventually cast as Sherlock Holmes couldn't speak as fast as Sherlock Holmes or as convincingly as I could. Poo on them!!! When I moved out on my own, I was studying to be a chef. Now in Culinary School, they ask you to eat everything you prepare, so I gained more weight.

In the pursuit of a part time job, I started working in a local movie theatre, where I found my passion for the movie industry. I tore the ligament and strained the tendon in my knee one fateful day, which laid me up in bed AT HOME for 3 months.

Now being on my own, it was TV dinners, Burritos, Pizza, Fried Chicken, and Mickey D's with a side of Wendy's and Jack in the Box thrown in. Being that my friends didn't cook and I couldn't stand on my own two feet to cook. All in all, by the time I got better, I had put on almost a hundred lbs. I could barely walk. I was tired all the time. The doctor informed me that I was now diabetic, hypertensive, and I had sleep apnea. I continued on the downhill slide gaining more and more weight until 2000 when I tipped the scales at a whopping 450 lbs. I started working for Disney in 2001, in Florida, and suffered a heat stroke. I decided at that point that enough was enough. I started eating slightly healthier and watching my intake, but being on my own and with a credit card to boot, wasn't the best thing.

Fast forward to present day. It has taken me 8 long years, but I am down almost a hundred lbs. At present I weigh (according to the Dr. Scale, just last week) 355.

I am currently out of work and so eating healthy is not an option right now, as healthy food costs more than junk food. By junk food I mean, hot dogs, canned goods, and the all mighty ramen, the ultimate in poor nutrition, but oh so cheap!!! lol

I am trying to drop back down to my high school weight, but it is a challenge. Since I am still a diabetic, I avoid all sugary drinks. I only drink sugar free Green Iced Tea and Water. So I really have to watch what I put in my mouth, because the sugar level is still high. I just have to take this one day at a time and hope for the best. Who knows maybe it will take me another 8 years to lose another 100 lbs. I certainly hope not, but who knows.

As for being teased and ridiculed, I have learned a lot from the Duke and Kent families. I am very easy to get along with, and with everything you have to take a grain of salt, because its very easy to snap back at someone making a snide or rude comment about your appearance. The trick is not to. Thank them for saying something to you, and tell them politely that you are working on bettering yourself and that comments like that only help motivate you. It doesn't hurt, berate, or insult. Thank them again and send them on their way. Trust me, you will feel loads better than if you went off on them. Just think of all the lessons we learned from Uncle Jesse and Jonathan Kent. They are two men to aspire to be like.

Thanks for letting me say my peace,

I'm down and gone.

JD Hogg Jr.

P.S. Even though I took the namesake of a Hogg, I strive to be like Uncle Jesse...lol

I'm all for a Hnet Weight Loss forum. Maybe not so much for stating actual weights like WW, much more for tips and support.

My tips for eating right is to "trick" my craving. Want Chocolate? That's sweet so have fruit juice. Potato Chips, have some crackers or even a pickle. After a while, when your body craves those tastes instead of the junk food, you'll be craving the healthy stuff instead.

If you craving is intense, occupy yourself with something else like a walk, a book or a craft. Cravings only last 15-20 minutes.

Also if I must must have chocolate, drink a glass of Oval-tine in milk. Better for me and still get the chocolate fix.

Of course, best tip is just not the keep the junk in the house, sometimes I'm weaning my husband off of.