Say NO to one liners on the ROUND ROBIN FORUM!

Cowboy

I'm been watching this thread for some time, now I can't resist jumping in.

I'm not surprised about the handcuffs, Brian I do remember a time or two another Hazzard badguy, blackclad at that, was entranced by that sound.

Doc

*clears throat* That was an entirely different situation, Doc...

*looks to cousin* You can just pretend ya didn't heah that. Fortunately we got Alex heah to embarrass.

*clears throat* That was an entirely different situation, Doc...

*looks to cousin* You can just pretend ya didn't heah that. Fortunately we got Alex heah to embarrass.

Uh huh, by the absolute enraptured look on Alex's face I can't say it was entirely different situation, but I'll spare your cousin and the rest of the Hazzard County the sordid details.

For now.

Uh huh, by the absolute enraptured look on Alex's face I can't say it was entirely different situation, but I'll spare your cousin and the rest of the Hazzard County the sordid details.

For now.

Ah'm positive they wouldn't be interested. Besides, everybody's about to see some sordid details about Alex. We might be bumpin' right up against that PG-13 rating heah.

Ah'm positive they wouldn't be interested. Besides, everybody's about to see some sordid details about Alex. We might be bumpin' right up against that PG-13 rating heah.

Hazzardnet has a rating guideline?

http://www.hazzardnet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5408 - rape - August 2006

http://www.hazzardnet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2840 - Created Character Death/Suicide - June 2003

imo, I think an incident where Brian was handcuffed, would be much more fun to read than those topics.

Im my opinion, while the topics of stories can bend the rating guidelines its how that are written that should be considered. I'm guilty with this because I've written stories about death, drug use and highly personal psychological issues. As have several authors on Hnet.

Done well, "hard" topics can make powerful stories. Truly good writing isn't just sunshines and kitten, it makes you think and stays with you.

A personal story of rape can be done with dignity not break the ratings, if its done just for the shock value, I can see the issue.

And also, Daney, I think lumping stories that could an another probably alot of personal angst to put to paper to just some free spirited fun between some authors is highly insulting to the authors you mentioned.

Im my opinion, while the topics of stories can bend the rating guidelines its how that are written that should be considered. I'm guilty with this because I've written stories about death, drug use and highly personal psychological issues. As have several authors on Hnet.

Done well, "hard" topics can make powerful stories. Truly good writing isn't just sunshines and kitten, it makes you think and stays with you.

A personal story of rape can be done with dignity not break the ratings, if its done just for the shock value, I can see the issue.

And also, Daney, I think lumping stories that could an another probably alot of personal angst to put to paper to just some free spirited fun between some authors is highly insulting to the authors you mentioned.

I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad about writing a certain topic.

The guideline only says PG-13 & no slash. I used to think no slash meant no romantic moments in a story. One reader's interpretation of PG-13, may not be another. A member recently posted a concern about one of those links. Perhaps the guideline could be defined a little better?

I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad about writing a certain topic.

The guideline only says PG-13 & no slash. I used to think no slash meant no romantic moments in a story. One reader's interpretation of PG-13, may not be another. A member recently posted a concern about one of those links. Perhaps the guideline could be defined a little better?

How defined do you want it to be? Shall we make a whole long laundry list of topics that are taboo?? Better yet, I could just simplfy it and say only stories about sunshine and lollipops are allowed. All others will be deleted.

If we do that, then we start breeching the fine line of censorship as opposed to just going by a general rating standard. We don't particularly want to censor things here, yet we are trying to keep in mind the fact that we do have users under the age of 18 here.

I'll be the first to admit, the forums here have stories in it that technically never should've been posted. But they're out there now and have been for several years. Certainly if there's multiple major complaints from users about any particular RR or story then we will consider removing it or editing it. But otherwise, we have a kinda general guideline to the PG-13 to keep the place from completely going into the gutter.

We would hope, also, that folks place a warning on their stories. It's only fair. Then if it's a topic that somebody doesn't want to read they don't have to read the story.

Doc made a good point. There's writing hard topics for a powerful story and then there's writing hard topics just for pure shock value. We're not intersted in shock value here but is it fair for us to shut somebody out because they write a good story about a hard topic?

We also can't possibly read every single post of every single story ever posted to these forums. We don't have time.

And having said that, I get a little irritated when people post stuff like this, question our guidelines (what little we got) and then proceed to throw stuff back in our faces. Publically. I was fully aware of that first link, Daney, that's why I edited it with a warning. Out of the 3000 plus members of this forum, if I got all of two people bothered by it....what the hell do you want me to do? If I got a complaint from one person for every story in the forums, and delted them all accordingly....well then what the hell is the point of even having the forum?

Ugh. I'm done ranting.

If we do that, then we start breeching the fine line of censorship as opposed to just going by a general rating standard.

Doc made a good point. There's writing hard topics for a powerful story and then there's writing hard topics just for pure shock value. We're not intersted in shock value here but is it fair for us to shut somebody out because they write a good story about a hard topic?

Agreed! Forget I mentioned anything... :escape:

Post #297

Nah, the nightstick won't be needed.

*continues waving the cuffs as Alex walks back to her* Step right this way, Alex. Follow the jingle jangle...

Post #298

*The combo of Deputy and handcuffs too much to resist... still walking slowly following both the siren and her cuffs...*

<director's clipboard with MaryAnne arresting Alex: Take 2>

MaryAnne and Meadow,

Go ahead and leave what I wrote on the Round Robin. But dont think for a moment that I dont care, or didnt mean my apology sincerely. Im working with and helping DaisyxEnos with her writing and hope to do the same for Elly May. This is how I will make things right and improve the Round Robin board.

I know I went about making a point in the wrong manner, but it goes deeper then making fun of these youngsters. Im not as stupid as ya'll might think, even if I approach things like a freight train. I had a reason for "making fun" like I did, but ya'll dont see it that way. I wrote those jumbled messes so that the young writers could see what we see when we read what they write. So that THEY could try to make sense of something for a change, so that THEY could feel OUR frustration. Im not perfect and I will never claim to be.

But that dont matter, Ive all but begged them to let me help them learn, now I WILL help them improve if its the last thing I do.

~Chet

The Deputy and I are discussing an option that would organize the HNet stories, but would ultimately end up getting rid of the fan fiction section on the forums altogether, except for general discussion. It would be an easier way to leave feedback for authors and such. I'll shoot ya an email in a bit to get your feedback on it.

Mufn, is there any more details about this yet?

Im not as stupid as ya'll might think, even if I approach things like a freight train. I had a reason for "making fun" like I did, but ya'll dont see it that way.

Chet, sometimes you're more stupid than I think. You can try to rationalize it all you want. If you had truly thought it all out, you would have realized you were risking having them never attempt to write again, you were risking being banned, and you were looking like a total ass for trying to demean other members of this board.

I accept your apology as sincere, but you'd best shut your mouth and stop trying to explain away your actions as something good and pure, because it wasn't no matter how you look at it. If you truly had wanted to help them, you would've extended your hand instead of kicking them into the dirt. Think about your actions next time and if you think they'll get you into trouble, don't do it. Period.

Mufn, is there any more details about this yet?

It is almost ready to go, but after today's shenanigans, I'm wondering why I even bother to put time and effort into improving this place and giving y'all something better. No amount of new software will ever make people behave better. You all have to do that yourself.

The one thing I dislike most of all is folks trying to humiliate or talk back to my moderators. That is cause for instant, permanent banning. I will, however, leave it up to the moderators in question.

I would suggest y'all be on your best behavior, as we have three unhappy moderators at the moment and itchy trigger fingers.

It is almost ready to go, but after today's shenanigans, I'm wondering why I even bother to put time and effort into improving this place and giving y'all something better. No amount of new software will ever make people behave better. You all have to do that yourself.

Just thought I'd open the window here and let some of the smoke out. I wanna take this opportunity to point out that the parties involved in the original fracas did apologize. MaryAnne and I did accept it. And given the number of people and posts that have been going on in this place for years, occurrances of this nature are thankfully rare.

I don't want people thinking they can't horse around with MaryAnne and me. I also don't want anybody afraid to post because of all this. I can't speak for the Deputy, but for myself, it's done with and I see no need to whack the ban button or hose anybody down.

I don't want people thinking they can't horse around with MaryAnne and me. I also don't want anybody afraid to post because of all this.

Afraid to post?!?!

Heck we're all afraid get anywhere near the HazzardNet considering the way you and MayAnne having been throwing people in jail for no reason at all. Speaking of which, after I finish this post I'm going to go see who the next innocent victim is *snickers*

Afraid to post?!?!

Heck we're all afraid get anywhere near the HazzardNet considering the way you and MayAnne having been throwing people in jail for no reason at all. Speaking of which, after I finish this post I'm going to go see who the next innocent victim is *snickers*

Yeah, I can see you're just shakin' like a leaf, Roger. You'll enjoy our current jailbird, I'm sure. :wink: