Say NO to one liners on the ROUND ROBIN FORUM!

Cowboy

Would've been nice if Buckshot had been finished. One liner stories are similar to how a tv or movie script are written.

In 2000 or 2001, there was an rr that had one liners and descriptive writing. At the time, didn't know many people and scared. The basic theme was to have fun and not be serious!

Almost a decade later, remember the friendship & encouragement that strangers gave, than what happened in the adventure.

I respect everyone's feelings on the manner whether they agree or not.

Daney

It's the willingness to learn and grow, or rather the lack thereof, that seems to be the bigger issue. The particular RR you're referring to Daney was one that the partcipants all seemed to "get it." Yes, there were one line posts in that and I've said already that one line posts are not necessarily wrong. It's when it's CONSISTENTLY one line after one line after one line and there's little to no story developement, plot development or character development that we're having the issue with. That previous RR you're talking about, everyone who participated either was willing to learn, or was willing to teach.

That's rare nowadays. I don't know how many times in various fanfiction circles I've seen people who write stories and when someone offers them constructive critique the writer immediately goes for the throat. They threaten to remove their stories or stop participating. They're super hyper sensitive to any critism and apparently have no desire to learn. For you biblical people out there, shall I cite Proverb 12:1?

"Whoever loves instruction, loves knowledge. But he who hates correction is stupid."

Therefore, anyone who gets in a huff when someone tries to kindly take them to point about something with their writing and isn't willing to listen or ponder the issue, and they yell and scream that they're gonna just leave and not finish their story...well I say good riddence! So long! Bye! Don't let the door hit ya on the way out!!

And one more thing, tv and movie scripts are not written to be read. Scripts are instructions for filming. They include dialogue, yes, but also scene settings, camera angles and whatnot. How many of us actually read a tv or film script for recreational reading? I don't. I've never liked when someone does a fanfic and does it in "script" format. It's annoying to read "camera cuts to shot of General Lee, driving down the road. Camera cuts to Bo behind the wheel. Camera cuts to Luke in the passenger seat. Camera cuts to..." Ugh.

I really hope you three aren't comparing the one liners in the other threads to those horrible statements. Seriously.

Um, seriously? No. Apparently, HNet staff has been away from this place too long that our sense of humor is no longer appreciated.

It's the willingness to learn and grow, or rather the lack thereof, that seems to be the bigger issue. The particular RR you're referring to Daney was one that the partcipants all seemed to "get it." Yes, there were one line posts in that and I've said already that one line posts are not necessarily wrong. It's when it's CONSISTENTLY one line after one line after one line and there's little to no story developement, plot development or character development that we're having the issue with. That previous RR you're talking about, everyone who participated either was willing to learn, or was willing to teach.

That's rare nowadays. I don't know how many times in various fanfiction circles I've seen people who write stories and when someone offers them constructive critique the writer immediately goes for the throat. They threaten to remove their stories or stop participating. They're super hyper sensitive to any critism and apparently have no desire to learn. For you biblical people out there, shall I cite Proverb 12:1?

"Whoever loves instruction, loves knowledge. But he who hates correction is stupid."

Therefore, anyone who gets in a huff when someone tries to kindly take them to point about something with their writing and isn't willing to listen or ponder the issue, and they yell and scream that they're gonna just leave and not finish their story...well I say good riddence! So long! Bye! Don't let the door hit ya on the way out!!

And one more thing, tv and movie scripts are not written to be read. Scripts are instructions for filming. They include dialogue, yes, but also scene settings, camera angles and whatnot. How many of us actually read a tv or film script for recreational reading? I don't. I've never liked when someone does a fanfic and does it in "script" format. It's annoying to read "camera cuts to shot of General Lee, driving down the road. Camera cuts to Bo behind the wheel. Camera cuts to Luke in the passenger seat. Camera cuts to..." Ugh.

Um, seriously? No. Apparently, HNet staff has been away from this place too long that our sense of humor is no longer appreciated.

I agree MaryAnne, the one line posts that dont add to the story, and those authors that nail themselves to a cross when constructive criticism is offered, adios! And please dont let the opinon of one post speak for the majority because it doesnt. I have been here a long time and I appreciate the humor of Hnet staff, its one of the things that holds this place together and keeps it fun!

So with that in mind... LONG LIVE THE HNET STAFF! *wink*

I agree Alex, I loooove HNet staff's sense of humor. LOL

The way they "tease" each other makes me laugh every time.

Anyway, thank you MaryAnne for your patience and your explaining (again and again) rules.

Now it's clear where to put "one-lines" stories (RP) or "long" stories (RR), and where to put "joint" stories (fics in progress).

I've only one question (don't kill me, please.......): is it possible to write a RR (not a RP) using only "original characters"? I mean a RR opened to everyone, so it's not a "joint" story, and it's not a RP (in RP you can choose between "original" and "created"); the one who starts the RR can ask to use only original characters to other writers? Sometimes I asked to use only "original characters" in some RRs, and I'm sorry if I broke rules.

Uh.... please, I don't want to start another discussion 'bout "original characters" versus "created characters". It's only a question, in order to not break rules again in the future.

Just another thought (sorry if I’m not so good as you when I try to write something seriously):

I'm here since 2007, and even before I always read this Forum.... and yeah..... it's true, quality of stories is falling down (and I know that me too, I'm not a great writer, so it’s not me to raise quality of RRs, LOL). So, where are all the old writers????? You can learn to write a good story only reading good stories and writing with good writers, not alone.

But I'm noticing that good writers, actually, are writing only for themselves ("joint" stories). I'm not blaming people to have "joint" stories (only for themselves) 'cause I understand that sometimes it's very difficult to start and to finish properly a RR, and I'm sorry if I stopped abruptly last RRs I wrote. But I don’t want to start another long and long argument, I only hope to read good RR in the future and, moreover, to learn to write joining in good stories.

All the good writers have basically given up because any one new who comes onto the boards to read fan fic is instantly bombarded with these one liners and any reader who enjoys good fiction hates them. So after clicking on about 5 or 6 links of the same kind of formatting, readers give up and turn away to another site.

Thus, the truely amazing stories...and I WILL say this yet again - BL and Chet, DixieDavenport and Bethie88 stories.... get looked over. Many of the old writers are just sick of it and sadly have left to post elsewhere where they can be properly seen. I have to admit, there have been times when i've thought about doing it myself.

Well, BoJames, maybe we can get some of those old writers back! :wink: Especially some of the really old geezers like myself, Brian, Mufn, Alex, Val, pendragon, even Daney... It's been probably a good four or five years since any of the RRs we participated in were the fresh story going on the forums here. LOL.

i1976 - you raise a very good question. (We don't kill anybody for questions. LOL). I see no reason why an RR can't be done with just the original cannon charactes from the show. Lemme think about how to address that issue (either by an adjustment of the rules or perhaps a seperate forum).

Course it is, wasn't saying it wasn't. What I'm saying is Hnet used to be one of the best for reading stories on, there used to be so many creative people on here writing amazing stories. I honed my skills more by reading those on here and on fanfic.net and i'm still learning! People who come here looking for that are missing that because the good ones are hidden by one-liners which is what this petition is all about. Its not fair to the decent writers on here who genuinly want to entertain the readers instead of just theirselves.

I've only one question (don't kill me, please.......): is it possible to write a RR (not a RP) using only "original characters"? I mean a RR opened to everyone, so it's not a "joint" story, and it's not a RP (in RP you can choose between "original" and "created"); the one who starts the RR can ask to use only original characters to other writers? Sometimes I asked to use only "original characters" in some RRs, and I'm sorry if I broke rules.

Lotsa good discussion going on in this thread, and I want to weigh in on this particular question real quick.

I have no problem with having some RR's that are original (from the show only) characters. I call that "orthodox" Dukes fic and I used to be pretty decent at it myself. There's just one big problem with it in an RR setting...

Namely, not everybody can be Bo or Luke. And then you get people who always try to lay claim to one or the other for every story. "I always play Bo, I always play Luke" ... there's not a whole lot of opportunity for other people after awhile.

At least when created, "new" characters are in the mix, there's more room on the stage for more players. There were times that MaryAnne and I would be running amok in character, there'd be four or five other "new" characters in there, and then the whole spectrum of orthodox Dukes characters besides. It's simply more inclusive and more balanced than just going, "Okay, we need Bo, Luke, Jesse, Cooter, Rosco, Boss, Enos, Daisy...anyone want Miz Tizdale or Lulu? Okay we're all set."

But there's nothing wrong with the orthodox format, and if that's how some folks prefer to roll, I got no problem with it. Like anything else, so long as authors respect each other's work, and try to ADD something constructive to a story when participating, then it doesn't matter what you're wearing, so to speak.

Lotsa good discussion going on in this thread, and I want to weigh in on this particular question real quick.

I have no problem with having some RR's that are original (from the show only) characters. I call that "orthodox" Dukes fic and I used to be pretty decent at it myself. There's just one big problem with it in an RR setting...

Namely, not everybody can be Bo or Luke. And then you get people who always try to lay claim to one or the other for every story. "I always play Bo, I always play Luke" ... there's not a whole lot of opportunity for other people after awhile.

At least when created, "new" characters are in the mix, there's more room on the stage for more players. There were times that MaryAnne and I would be running amok in character, there'd be four or five other "new" characters in there, and then the whole spectrum of orthodox Dukes characters besides. It's simply more inclusive and more balanced than just going, "Okay, we need Bo, Luke, Jesse, Cooter, Rosco, Boss, Enos, Daisy...anyone want Miz Tizdale or Lulu? Okay we're all set."

But there's nothing wrong with the orthodox format, and if that's how some folks prefer to roll, I got no problem with it. Like anything else, so long as authors respect each other's work, and try to ADD something constructive to a story when participating, then it doesn't matter what you're wearing, so to speak.

I think that in a RR there's no need to claim a particular character; it's the difference between RR and RP.

Every writer add a part of the story, using every original character he wants to. I mean, if I start a story setting at the Court House where Rosco and Boss are talking about a trick (LOL, something very usual), I'm not claiming Rosco nor Boss character, so the next writer can go on showing more of Boss-Rosco argument, or he can let Enos in, or he can open a parallel scene at the Duke's farm. Every writer can add a piece of the story using every character he wants, and not only one.

So, there's no limit to "origina" character RR 'cause you don't have to choose a character, but choosing oly one character could be a limit in a RP, you're right.

Glad to see you joined this discussion Brain! You always have some very good points, like the one at the top of your head. *Smirks.*

Anyway, its no secret that I have been MIA for a few days due to some local events that called me away, I had to go shoot some people actually. But Im back home now and cant believe how this discussion has grown!

Also Ive wandered around Hnet alittle and it looks great! Isnt it amazing what happens when we all bump heads and discuss things that have been eating at some of us for YEARS! On that note I also like the idea of having a all "original cast" Round Robin option open, BUT, I personally would like to see a seperate forum for it so readers can go to one or the other pending on what they wish to read without having to manually sort through.

Now like MA said, all we gotta do is get some of the older writers back on the RR board. Hey... wait a minute, I consider myself a "older" member, just because my SN says I joined Decemeber 26th 2007 I assure you have been around MUCH MUCH longer then that! Just as MA or Brian, Ive been driving them crazy for far longer then that! *Breaths*

I have some more thoughts on some of the points made, but Im gonna ponder them awhile and will write more later. Great to see ya'll putting your two cents in.

Three Cheers for Hazzardnet being the best fanfic site in the world, still to this day!

}~* Chet

This what I miss when I go MIA? HOLY FLAPJACKS! Howevah, I agree with Chet and I am signing. It's been too long since I saw a good story around here. Time for it to start happening again! Khee!

P.S.

The Admins bite.

Well hey there Sheriff! Great to see you adding your voice to this discussion and I'm glad to hear ya agree! I dunno where we'd be without ya chiming in...

Ah, Alex, I wouldn't get yer dander up. I'm not bothered at all if Sheriff thinks the administrators of this board bite. After all, I think Sheriff is a :censored:.

In a nice way, of course. :-P

Well hey there Sheriff! Great to see you adding your voice to this discussion and I'm glad to hear ya agree! I dunno where we'd be without ya chiming in...

Ah, Alex, I wouldn't get yer dander up. I'm not bothered at all if Sheriff thinks the administrators of this board bite. After all, I think Sheriff is a :censored:.

In a nice way, of course. :-P

*bursts out laughing* why yes Id have to agree, what would we ever do without such a charming Sheriff. And yes I also agree about the Sheriff being a :censored:, of course... I dont mean it in the nicest way possible because the administrators of this board have allowed the Sheriff to stay, maybe he/she should think about that before posting such charming comments about the admins! *grins*

I think that in a RR there's no need to claim a particular character; it's the difference between RR and RP.

Every writer add a part of the story, using every original character he wants to. I mean, if I start a story setting at the Court House where Rosco and Boss are talking about a trick (LOL, something very usual), I'm not claiming Rosco nor Boss character, so the next writer can go on showing more of Boss-Rosco argument, or he can let Enos in, or he can open a parallel scene at the Duke's farm. Every writer can add a piece of the story using every character he wants, and not only one.

So, there's no limit to "origina" character RR 'cause you don't have to choose a character, but choosing oly one character could be a limit in a RP, you're right.

That's an interesting take on RR vs. RP. Frankly it's different than how I was familiar with it, but then again it's been a long time since I participated. I would think RR's with everybody playing everybody, could end up chaotic. I suppose it depends on the caliber of writers you're working with.

The fun of RR's and RP's is the free-for-all nature, of course. I think if people understand the format and expectations from the outset, things can go smoothly. Whatever gets the creative energy going, I say go for it.

Well, obviously. We keep letting you back on here, don't we? I'm surprised the rest of the members here haven't taken us to task for such dereliction of duty. Rest assured, next time we ban you, it'll be permanent. We have our reputations to look after, you know.

Yes I know, Mufn... i'll take back the admin biting thing, playful or not cause ya'll was nice to me even when I was.. *gulp* out of line.

Hey you should feel special Sheriff, I been around all these years and all I have under my name for a 'nickname' is "member". Yippee. Guess I truely didnt raise enough hell over the years. Yup, turn over a new leaf for a year or so (3 years actually but whos counting) around here and everyone forgets ya. Heh. Glad to know I truely wasnt the bur under everyones saddle that I thought I was.

}~*Chet

Trust me I do, Chet. This site is great because Brian, Maryanne, and Mufn run it so well. They do what they have to do and they could have said. "You are not coming back.." but they wasn't that way. I suppose errr... I should watch my mouth of what I say cause Mufn gives me shivers when she puts out her promises. It's like a auto withdraw when she sets the line down.

Hey you should feel special Sheriff, I been around all these years and all I have under my name for a 'nickname' is "member". Yippee. Guess I truely didnt raise enough hell over the years. Yup, turn over a new leaf for a year or so (3 years actually but whos counting) around here and everyone forgets ya. Heh. Glad to know I truely wasnt the bur under everyones saddle that I thought I was.

}~*Chet

Waaah! You want a new nickname? Haven't I given you plenty to pick from over the years?