Say NO to one liners on the ROUND ROBIN FORUM!

Cowboy

Say NO to one liners!

You heard it, were saying no to one liner posts on the Round Robin forum. Are you tired of scouting all over this site looking for a half decent story to read? Are you tired of scrolling down and down and going through page after page of one sentence posts on the Round Robin forum?

Well... I AM!!!

So step right up here if you want it to come to end, to stop this non-sense! Enough is enough! Its time this was a respectable board again with some decent writing and reading material. The wonderful administrators of this site have gone through so much to make plenty of different boards for all different kinds of writing. One liners are for the Role Playing board, not the Round Robin.

So please, if you want our Round Robin board back after so long of having it go to waist by one liners, please, sign below, speak ya peace. Enough is enough, lets up our standards and quality.

PLEASE SIGN THIS PETITION!!!

Yeehaw!

}~*Chet

(*NOTE* THIS WAS POSTED WITH THE PERMISSION OF DEPUTY MARYANNE COLTRANE!*THANK YA MAM'!)

I agree with both of you, potential members come to this site either by sheer accident or someone directs them to it when they are looking for fanfiction. They won't join or stay to read if the first stories they see are poorly written. So I think we should continue to make this the best DOH site on the web and put our best foot forward as fanfic writers.

B.L.

No offense , but the rules in rr, clearly states not to complain about anything in there, from what I just read from MaryAnne....

The rule you're referring to dukefan is the one that says....

3. Please don't post your greivances about a particular RR (whatever the grievence may be) within the story thread of that particular RR. It's really distractin' to the story. ect...ect...

In otherwords, if there's a particular story thread and somebody posts a complaint in that thread, that's a no-no. But a general complaint such as what Chet's talking about, there's no rule that says nobody is allowed to complain.

For the record, yes, Chet asked me about posting his petition and I gave him the okay. There's been grumblings and frustrations about the RR section for the past couple of years. I'm allowing this dicussion because I think it's long overdue. Not just the one liner complaint but also the general condition and quality of RR stories.

The RR rules are always subject to update and revisions. Maybe they're too vague and if they are, I need to know that and need to work to make them better. I can't do that unless I get feedback from people. I think some people have kept quiet or have only complained amongst themselves but have not said anything to me. Occasionally I've heard a grumble or two. However, I only know what I know and what I know sometimes is very little.

Now I got a PM from somebody asking about one liners that I'm gonna answer here...

One line posts are not "illegal." Of course, there will be times when a one line post will be all there is. But when somebody writes something like this....

Luke Duke stood outside the farm house next to the General Lee waiting for his cousin.

....and that's all they write...well then what the hell is that?? And then the next post is this...

Bo Duke came out of the house and walked to the General.

I'm sorry, but you have completely and totally lost me as a reader. I'm bored to friggin' tears here.

Instead, how about writing something like this...

Luke Duke stood outside the farm house next to the General Lee waiting for his cousin. They had a mile long list of supplies to get for Uncle Jesse and Cooter had called that morning to say that the new cam shaft for the General had finally come in. Luke was anxious to get going.

"C'mon, Bo! Let's get going!"

(cue Bo)

Yah? With me? Okay...so then the next person, posting as Bo could say....

Bo Duke hurried out onto the porch and pushed open the old wooden screen door. "Comin' Luke!" The blonde Duke boy jogged to the General and hopped easily up onto the driver's side door, sliding his long legs in through the window and landing in the seat. The General roared to life and the orange stock car tore out of the yard, sending chickens scattering away.

"I didn't think Cooter was ever gonna call about that cam shaft," Bo said.

(cue Luke)

Now, at this point we're gonna have a scene between the two characters that has dialoge and it's back and forth. Okay, there may be some one liner posts here BUT there's no reason why, the two writers writing for Bo and Luke couldn't write a scene together and then post it as one post. They could write in email, IM whatever. Infact, Luke could post something like this, since it's his turn...

(Bo and I are working on a joint post. Y'all stand by!)

That then still holds Luke cue and lets the readers know at least that Luke's been cued. (And should keep other writers at bay until such time that somebody posts a "cue anyone" cue. See rule #1). Once the joint post is done, Luke can then go back and edit his "y'all stand by" post, add the additional scene and then cue whoever he wants to cue next. Like Cooter or open it to anyone, whatever.

Several of the older RR's used to do this a lot. Authors would get together on IM and write out their scene and then post it as a joint post. It wasn't unusual for three authors or more to work together on one post.

The one line issue is simply one of many issues that have been brought up over the past couple of years. I have had a difficult time addressing the issues with some people directly. They just don't seem to get it. What rules we have for the RRs have been broken so many times over I'm surprised that anybody now even refers back to them, especially when somebody brings up a complaint. It's funny really.

However, we do have rules. Since my attempts at individual enforcement of the rules hasn't worked, perhaps it's time to air everything out in the open and in public. Maybe we need to update the rules. Maybe we need to create new forum sections or something. Maybe I need to move stories from one section to another. Maybe I should shut the whole thing down. I dunno. I need to hear from y'all to figure out what to do.

Respectfully submitted,

MaryAnne

I know I haven't exactly kept to the rules when writing rr's! LOL

Looking at them now, one thing that bothers me is the one about round robins are for everyone, so dont specify who can post? I think this one should be revised or removed because over time as we've written with people, we find people who we write well with and have a certain creative energy with and so just want to write one with that person or people. A lot of us on the board do this, Me and DaisyMae are notorious for this LOL but also bethie88 and dixiedavenport too! They are just amazing writers, I think it'd spoil it if anyone were to interrupt them cause I really enjoy reading just those two.

No, that rule can't be removed. LOL. See, we created the Story Ideas/Fics in Progress section for folks who want to collaberate with each other and write a story and don't want to be interrupted by someone else. See...says it right in the description of the forum...

Post your fan fic story ideas here. Someone might just pick up on one and turn it into a full fledged story. Or give us all a preview of what you're working on, whether it's a solo story or a collabrative effort (colabs in this category are not open to all to post, as they are in an RR, so chose your forum carefully!)

Therefore if you and DaisyMae are working on something, you're not doing a Round Robin. You're doing a collaborative effort together. Y'all should be posting your work in progress in the Story Ideas/Fics in Progress section.

Now, maybe I need to reword the description of this forum and make it more specific, or perhaps alter the title a little?

The rules for Fics in Progress forum I think are pretty clear tho'...

1. Stories posted under this category are NOT open for just anyone to post to. The author has to do one of two things. They either have to....

A. Put a specific request in their post saying they are looking for suggestions or help with a story, and whether or not they want folks to respond privately (ie, email, private messages) or if the author wants to open it up for folks to post to the thread, keeping in mind that said author is free to request that any inappropriate posts deleted from the thread.

Or...

B. Author has asked another author to co-write a story, thus they take turns posting back and forth.

If you have not been asked to post, either privately or by public announcement from the author here under this category, then please don't post!

So I totally dig what you're saying, Bo, but that being the case it goes in the other forum. :D

One thing I'd like to reiterate here is... if you have a problem with something, PLEASE do not hesitate to contact one of the admins if you can't work out the issue yourselves. We don't bite. I promise.

One thing we do not tolerate is harassment of other members. We do not ban very often, but harassment is a major NO-NO and is a ban-able offense if the harassment is severe enough. If someone tells you to leave them alone, do it. I won't name names (and I'm not necessarily talking about you Chet. LOL), but there are several repeat offenders on this board that don't seem to "get it" even when we talk to them about their behavior.

Another thing I'd like to mention is, at the top of every thread in the forums, there's a "Rate Thread" option where you can rate the quality of the thread from 1 to 5 stars. I think this is an option we should utilize in the FF/RR section. If a thread gets a certain amount of stars under 3, we will move the thread to an "archive" section where the authors may still work on it, but it will not be in the main FF/RR section and will not show up in the latest threads on the main page of HazzardNet. Essentially, we will be giving members a vote in the quality of the Round Robins. The admins will make final decisions, but will take these votes into account when we decide whether or not to move a thread.

We hope this will address some of the issues that have been bothering many of you for a while. Like I said, don't hesitate to contact us if there's an issue. Our role here is to make sure HNet is a great community for you guys to continue to enjoy.

No, that rule can't be removed. LOL. See, we created the Story Ideas/Fics in Progress section for folks who want to collaberate with each other and write a story and don't want to be interrupted by someone else. See...says it right in the description of the forum...

Post your fan fic story ideas here. Someone might just pick up on one and turn it into a full fledged story. Or give us all a preview of what you're working on, whether it's a solo story or a collabrative effort (colabs in this category are not open to all to post, as they are in an RR, so chose your forum carefully!)

Therefore if you and DaisyMae are working on something, you're not doing a Round Robin. You're doing a collaborative effort together. Y'all should be posting your work in progress in the Story Ideas/Fics in Progress section.

Now, maybe I need to reword the description of this forum and make it more specific, or perhaps alter the title a little?

The rules for Fics in Progress forum I think are pretty clear tho'...

1. Stories posted under this category are NOT open for just anyone to post to. The author has to do one of two things. They either have to....

A. Put a specific request in their post saying they are looking for suggestions or help with a story, and whether or not they want folks to respond privately (ie, email, private messages) or if the author wants to open it up for folks to post to the thread, keeping in mind that said author is free to request that any inappropriate posts deleted from the thread.

Or...

B. Author has asked another author to co-write a story, thus they take turns posting back and forth.

If you have not been asked to post, either privately or by public announcement from the author here under this category, then please don't post!

So I totally dig what you're saying, Bo, but that being the case it goes in the other forum. :D

Looks like we're breaking rules ourselves Chet with our story Wanted: Dead or Alive over in round robin since it's not a free for all. Looks to me like we might oughta get it moved to the proper place but I'll leave that decision upto you.

BL

The rule you're referring to dukefan is the one that says....

3. Please don't post your greivances about a particular RR (whatever the grievence may be) within the story thread of that particular RR. It's really distractin' to the story. ect...ect...

In otherwords, if there's a particular story thread and somebody posts a complaint in that thread, that's a no-no. But a general complaint such as what Chet's talking about, there's no rule that says nobody is allowed to complain.

For the record, yes, Chet asked me about posting his petition and I gave him the okay. There's been grumblings and frustrations about the RR section for the past couple of years. I'm allowing this dicussion because I think it's long overdue. Not just the one liner complaint but also the general condition and quality of RR stories.

The RR rules are always subject to update and revisions. Maybe they're too vague and if they are, I need to know that and need to work to make them better. I can't do that unless I get feedback from people. I think some people have kept quiet or have only complained amongst themselves but have not said anything to me. Occasionally I've heard a grumble or two. However, I only know what I know and what I know sometimes is very little.

Now I got a PM from somebody asking about one liners that I'm gonna answer here...

One line posts are not "illegal." Of course, there will be times when a one line post will be all there is. But when somebody writes something like this....

Luke Duke stood outside the farm house next to the General Lee waiting for his cousin.

....and that's all they write...well then what the hell is that?? And then the next post is this...

Bo Duke came out of the house and walked to the General.

I'm sorry, but you have completely and totally lost me as a reader. I'm bored to friggin' tears here.

Instead, how about writing something like this...

Luke Duke stood outside the farm house next to the General Lee waiting for his cousin. They had a mile long list of supplies to get for Uncle Jesse and Cooter had called that morning to say that the new cam shaft for the General had finally come in. Luke was anxious to get going.

"C'mon, Bo! Let's get going!"

(cue Bo)

Yah? With me? Okay...so then the next person, posting as Bo could say....

Bo Duke hurried out onto the porch and pushed open the old wooden screen door. "Comin' Luke!" The blonde Duke boy jogged to the General and hopped easily up onto the driver's side door, sliding his long legs in through the window and landing in the seat. The General roared to life and the orange stock car tore out of the yard, sending chickens scattering away.

"I didn't think Cooter was ever gonna call about that cam shaft," Bo said.

(cue Luke)

Now, at this point we're gonna have a scene between the two characters that has dialoge and it's back and forth. Okay, there may be some one liner posts here BUT there's no reason why, the two writers writing for Bo and Luke couldn't write a scene together and then post it as one post. They could write in email, IM whatever. Infact, Luke could post something like this, since it's his turn...

(Bo and I are working on a joint post. Y'all stand by!)

That then still holds Luke cue and lets the readers know at least that Luke's been cued. (And should keep other writers at bay until such time that somebody posts a "cue anyone" cue. See rule #1). Once the joint post is done, Luke can then go back and edit his "y'all stand by" post, add the additional scene and then cue whoever he wants to cue next. Like Cooter or open it to anyone, whatever.

Several of the older RR's used to do this a lot. Authors would get together on IM and write out their scene and then post it as a joint post. It wasn't unusual for three authors or more to work together on one post.

The one line issue is simply one of many issues that have been brought up over the past couple of years. I have had a difficult time addressing the issues with some people directly. They just don't seem to get it. What rules we have for the RRs have been broken so many times over I'm surprised that anybody now even refers back to them, especially when somebody brings up a complaint. It's funny really.

However, we do have rules. Since my attempts at individual enforcement of the rules hasn't worked, perhaps it's time to air everything out in the open and in public. Maybe we need to update the rules. Maybe we need to create new forum sections or something. Maybe I need to move stories from one section to another. Maybe I should shut the whole thing down. I dunno. I need to hear from y'all to figure out what to do.

Respectfully submitted,

MaryAnne

I see MaryAnne, thanks for the info.

I know I hate it when I reply to a story and someone does not follow the story at all, or only says one line, that completely freezes the story and drops the dead the interest to continue it.

So many stories are ruined by these one liners and not continuing the story, kinda makes me lose interest in doing another one, or continuing with the ones I participated in.

I will be the first to admit that Ive broken dozens of rules over the years and been banned more times then the Outlaw Lord himself. (We'll have to tally that up and figure that one out for the hell of it sometime Brian, but my bets are I got ya beat.) Anyway, even right now, I agree with BL that were breaking the RR rule with "Wanted: Dead or Alive". BUT, we became very wary of allowing anyone else into the story because the vast major of writers that are now on the RR board cant keep in the form of writing that USED to be the nature of a RR.

So yeah were in the wrong, but can you blame us? I have to say that if half the people who used to participate in the old RR's were to return, they would be utterly appauled with the current existance of the RR boards. I only wish enough of them were still around and would speak up, I cant possibly be the only 'older' memeber that misses the days of "Buckshot" and so many other old style RR's.

MaryAnne, MeadowMufn, if you wish, I... dont mind if Wanted Dead or Alive is moved, but if it aint hurting nothing I'd sure like to have it left there.

Im so glad that this is finally been put in the open, maybe, just maybe if the RR is cleaned up and changed alil more authors who used to enjoy it will find there way back. Im really at an end as to what to suggest for new rules, I just dont know. I think just tightening up on designated boards for different kinds of stories would make a big difference.

)~* Chet