Tom's Allergies

Kay Darleen Duke

It could be due to a lot of things, but if it's the episodes I'm thinking of, then I think Bo's right, he does have a cold. Since he has filmed Dukes with a concussion after rolling his car, it seems highly likely he would film with a cold...

us midwesterners ain't whimps who moan and complain when they have the sniffles...(like certain British people..haha). we just FIDO (forget it and drive on).

Okay, here is my take on Kay Darleen Duke's question: Does Tom Have Allergies?

Well, as wierd as this is going to sound (and I tend to think it isn't true... probably because I am a midwesterner myself...) but I've been told that midwestern people have a "nasal-ly" accent. Personally, I don't ever hear it, but then I've been told I sound "nasal-ly" by some of my cousins who are not midwesterners. I don't know, I guess I never picked up on that.

Just a thought... :p

Hmmm...Ive been a midwesterner my whole life....I dont think I sound nasally...but then maybe I cant hear myself.... Bo do I sound nasally when I say "squash?"

Haha.

Actually though, if anyone has talked to Tom lately you will notice that his accent has changed a bit...he's got some New York Bronx type thing going on on top of the mid west .... kinda different, but not surprising as much time as he spends in and around New York and New Jersey

• 2 weeks later...
Okay, here is my take on Kay Darleen Duke's question: Does Tom Have Allergies?

Well, as wierd as this is going to sound (and I tend to think it isn't true... probably because I am a midwesterner myself...) but I've been told that midwestern people have a "nasal-ly" accent. Personally, I don't ever hear it, but then I've been told I sound "nasal-ly" by some of my cousins who are not midwesterners. I don't know, I guess I never picked up on that.

Just a thought... :p

I doubt Tom has any serious allergies, or he wouldn't have survived his youth on a dairy farm. I suspect his "accent" is more the Wisconsin use of vowels, which tend to have a lot of "a" and "ah" sounds elongated.

Like, the word "hospital" sounds like "hah-spital." His home state of Wisconsin would be pronounced "Wis-kahnsin."

But yeah, he's lived in NY and on the eastern side of the country long enough that his accent is a real mix these days. Doesn't seem to affect his singing though.

Tom will be performing in Miwaukee tomorrow night, btw.

• 1 month later...

Right On, Brian!

Being a "Wisconsin-ite" myself, that is absolutely 100% true. We talk funny, and everyone seems to know it! Brian, you must have some Wisconsin friends, because you know how to prounouce the name of the state! You can always pick out a "foreigner" because they pronounce it WIS-CON-SIN like Brian said, we pronounce it WI-SKAHN-SIN with the first "i" being short. Anyway, now that I rambled that one to death... No, I don't think Tom has allergies, he just has a bad case of the "Wisconsin Drawl" luckily for the rest of the nation, it isn't contagious! Okay, enough dry humor for now!

General Grant