(If you're reading "A Good Ol' Boy..." don't jump to any conclusions. I used myself as Bo's chic in this story, because it's the only way I'll ever get to be Bo Duke's wife. No matter how bad I want it! :lol: )

Bo Duke, Jr. was the spitting image of his father. Nobody would ever mistake him for anything other than a Duke.

He was 18 years old, and he'd left home that year to go to college.

His parents, Beth and Bo, had called him to tell him that his Daddy's family was getting together to have a reunion the next week. Bo loved his Daddy's family. All of Bo, Sr.'s cousins were referred to as aunts and uncles by Bo's kids. Bo, Jr. had three sisters and one brother. Bo was closest to his daddy and his uncle Luke.

But the young man had no idea what his return to Hazzard County would hold in store for him.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It had been several years since Luke Duke had been home. He kept in touch with all his family by phone and now days computers. After getting off probation, Luke decided to try his luck out of Hazzard. Since Bo had married Beth things were not the same for him in Hazzard. He had always looked up to the local Fire Chief who suggested with his experience as a paratrooper in the Marines that he consider becoming a 'Smokejumper'. He would not only get paid for jumping out of perfectly good planes (Without people shooting at him.) but he could help save people, their homes and nature. It only took the well known Fire Chief a few phone calls to make arrangements for Luke to get the added training he needed.

Now in his mid thirties Luke had made a stable career and was the Senior Smoke Jumper for the Foresty Service. He was based in Atlanta but traveled quiet a bit during the fire seasons.

He approached the County line that had for so long been his and Bo's end of the line. (They could not leave Hazzard County with out Boss Hoggs permission while on probation.) Before crossing into Hazzard County he pulled his King Cab F-250, 4 wheel drive off the road and just gazed into Hazzard. He had talked to Bo the night before. Luke also knew Bo, Jr would be coming in from college to join the family. "God has it been THAT long? I still remember the day Bo told me Beth was pregnant." Luke thought. It had truely been that long. Luke thought a bit envious of his younger cousin though, at the time he had thought Bo had made a terrible mistake. Luke had stayed Hazzards most allusive bachlor though he had many girlfriends, and had made and received several proposals. Luke also hated change. He steeled himself to see all the changes in Hazzard. Of course, he also steeled himself for all the things in Hazzard that had stayed the same. Luke shuttered just a bit as his next thought traveled his mind. "It's been almost twenty years since I've been in jail." he though as the memory of the sound of the clanging cell door followed that thought. "Damn! Just the thought still bothers me"

"Well, here goes nothing!" he thought as he pulled back onto the road. Taking a deep breath and holding it just a bit as he crossed the County line fully expecting Rosco P. Coltrane to pull out behind him and 'cuff and stuff' him just for the principal of doing it.

Bo Duke, Sr. and his wife, Beth, were sitting on the front porch of the house that had once been Uncle Jesse's. When Uncle Jesse had passed on, and all the other cousins had left Hazzard, Bo's cousins had been kind enought to let the farm become Bo's. He and Beth had raised their five kids under the same roof Bo had been raised under, and things had been pretty darn good. He and Beth had done alright for a couple of teenagers who'd started off with nothing but love and their son, Bo, Jr.

Bo looked at Beth with that Duke smile that noone could imitate. "Honey," he said, "Everybody's finally comin' home." He hadn't been that happy in a long time.

Their youngest daughter, Michaela, who was ten years old, walked out onto the porch, so quietly that neither Beth nor Bo heard her footsteps. "Hey, Daddy," she said softly, startling her parents. "Isn't that Uncle Luke's truck?"

Bo couldn't hold back his old rebel yell when he saw the truck pulling into his driveway, "Yeeehaaa!"

Beth stood there, looking at her husband, and seeing in his place, the wild teenager she had once known. The Duke family reunion was going to be a fun time indeed.

It wasn't too long before Daisy showed up, followed shortly by Coy and Vance. But both Bo and Beth were awaiting seeing their son, who had been gone for almost two months.

When he pulled into the driveway in his own rebuilt '69 Charger, the whole family rushed to see the oldest Duke child. He climbed out of the window of his car in true Duke fashion, and immediately wrapped his arms around his little sister, Michaela, swinging her into the air. She barely let him go long enough for the other family members to greet him. In fact, he had to hug his mother and his other sisters with Michaela between them.

"How's my Mikey doin'?" he asked the little girl.

"I'm OK! I missed you, Bo!" she said. He'd missed her, too. He'd missed Hazzard, and his brother and sisters and everyone else.

Bo, Sr. made his way over to his son. "How are ya, son?" he asked, extending his hand.

Bo, Jr. smiled, and shook his father's hand, only to be pulled into a hug. "I'm fine Daddy. I've missed y'all."

Luke turned to look at his cousin's oldest son. He'd been so close to the boy when he was younger, and the expectant look in the young man's blue eyes hurt him. But all he could bring himself to say was, "When'd you get the car, son?"

Bo, Jr.'s face fell. "Right after I graduated. Me and Daddy restored it before I left for college."

He had been so close to Luke, and it hurt that after not seeing him for so long, his father's cousin could only ask him about his car. He wondered just what could be wrong with Luke.

But Luke quickly recovered himself, and added, "I sure have missed ya, son."

The smile that Bo, Jr. had taken from his father once again spread across his face.

Seeing the smile spread across Bo, Jr's face, Luke added, "So just when does your Dad and I get to try out the car?"

Before Bo, Jr. could reply, Beth spoke up, "Now, Luke!" she exclaimed. Pictures of her husband and his cousin speeding around Hazzard again filled her head.

He stepped towards her giving her a quick hug. "I was kidding Junior over there."

Now it was Bo, Jr's turn, "Never if you keep calling me Junior, Uncle Lucas!"

He put his arm around Bo, Jr's shoulder and said, "Ok, truce?"

They all had a good laugh. Luke was glad to see Bo's family again though he did feel a bit the outsider.

Daisy and Beth went to fix supper for the extended family with the girls help of course.

Luke asked, "So Bo, when do you expect Jeb?" he was answered by the sound of a motorcycle turning into the drive way that would be Jeb. "Well, speak of the devil. Did you get in touch with Cooter or anyone else?"

Bo replied, ...................

"Yeah. Cooter said he was comin'. Might be bringin' his sister, too."

"That's good. I sure have missed Cooter," Luke said.

"Yeah, me too. Hard to believe it's been that long since we were drivin' around here in the General...gettin' chased by Rosco..."

"Goin' to jail?" Luke added, with a tense laugh.

"Yeah, that too," [edited here...i messed up] BO said with a grin.

The two cousins walked over to see Jeb, but there was a gnawing bad feeling in the back of Luke's head. Somethin' was gonna go wrong. It had to...especially in Hazzard County.

Bo knew something was wrong with his cousin, and it bothered him.

But he pushed the bad feeling to the back of his mind, as Beth came out, wrapping her arms around her husband's waist.

"How 'bout some of Uncle Jesse's finest? There ain't many jars left, but today's a day that calls for some," she said, planting a firm kiss on Bo's lips.

Bo smiled weakly. "Sounds good."

Bo's oldest daughter, Ruth Anne, who was 16, came out with the jar a few minutes later with glasses for each of the men.

It didn't take long for the shine to make the men loosen up. This was going to be a fun night...

For all, except, perhaps, Luke.

"Dixie Davenport! Dixie Davenport in Hazzard again.Cooter was bringing her knowing I would be here? Where had Bo's casual comment about Cooter maybe bringing his sister come from? Hell, maybe he has forgotten or at least pushed all that muddy past behind him. Though Bo was there during the time that Luke had seen Cooter's sister, that was also during the time he and Beth were NOT planning Bo, Jr. I got to corner Bo about this and soon." thought Luke. "It was good to be home. Jesse's shine was as fine as her remembered."

"So, Bo it's been a long while since I've been home. What's there to these days for a single guy like the four of us?" asked Jeb.

Bo was still wondering what Luke was suddenly being so quiet about. "Well, there's always the Boar's Nest. It has changed some. Well, it's been remodeled several times since you all have been there. Though I think Luke paid to have it remodeled at least a couple of times. Right Luke?" asked Bo. "Luke?"

"Huh? What did you say? I'm sorry just traveling down memory lane." replied Luke. But he thought, "Memory? Maybe Nightmare! would be more correct."

Beth suggested, "Bo why don't you guys go have a guys night out?"

Bo replied, "Why don't we leave the little ones to Ruth Ann so that you and Daisy come with us, too?"

"Bo, Honey, I have a million things to do tonight. Besides you guys need some time alone. I promise to go one night before everyone leaves.

"I'm kind of tired too guys. I'll stay and help Beth. You all go ahead." Daisy looked up, "Do you think Hazzard can stand you all on the loose again?"

Before Bo could protest, Beth said, "We might even be along later. Right Daisy?"

"Hey, that's not a bad idea." replied Daisy.

Luke listened to the banter between them as he thought, "Yep, the five of us, Hazzard County, the Boar's Nest, alcohol, Dixie maybe coming in, this could be BAD! It could also be fun..............."

Bo, Luke, Coy, Vance, and Jeb all loaded up into two vehicles, the General, who was still in his place on the Duke farm, and Luke's truck. Bo, Jr. asked his dad if he could go.

Bo, Sr.'s blue eyes looked over at Beth. "Is it alright with you, honey?"

Bo, Jr. was mad. He was sick of having to know if everything was OK with his parents. But he figured it was better than not going to the Boar's Nest...

He was even more upset when his mother agreed that he could go as a designated driver, since not even a Duke boy was good behind the wheel after too much beer at the Boar's Nest... She was just thankful that they were saving the rest of the jar of Jesse's finest until they got home.

As the six men headed over to the Boar's Nest, Beth and Daisy couldn't help but worry. All their menfolk quite drunk was not a good picture in her mind. But she and Daisy had to get supper ready, along with the help of Ruth Anne, Caroline (12), and Michaela.

Things were only made harder on the two women by 14-yr-old Jesse's protests that he wanted to go with the men.

At the Boar's Nest, everyone seemed to be having a good time... even Bo, Jr. when he realized that drinking wasn't the only thing to the Boar's Nest. There were still lots of pretty waitresses in short shorts, and no 18-year-old boy can say he doesn't like that.

Bo, Sr. proposed a toast to his family, and beer mugs clicked together. Something was still bothering Luke, which in turn, bothered Bo. He and his cousin had been best friends all their lives, and he knew something was wrong. Especially when Luke ordered more than his usual number of beers, on top of the shine they'd had back at Bo's house.

"Luke, you OK?" Bo asked.

"Why wouldn't I be OK? Huh?" Luke was in a bad mood. That was for sure.

They heard the sound of another vehicle pulling into the dirt driveway of the Boar's Nest, and in to the room walked Cooter Davenport, a good friend of the Duke boys, who they hadn't seen in ages. He walked over to the table where all the Duke's were sitting, and sat down.

"Yeeeeeeehaaaaaaaa!" Bo yelled, only to be echoed by Cooter. "Well, now! This seems just about right. All of us at the Boar's Nest drinkin' too much for our own good."

Cooter nodded his agreement. He met Bo's son, and was shocked at how old he was. He hadn't seen him since the young man was a small child.

"So, Cooter, where's Dixie?" asked Bo.

Luke could have hog tied him on the spot. He didn't want to know where she was.

"I left her at your place helpin' the women folks," Cooter said with a smile. "She was always close to Beth and Daisy. 'Specially Beth."

Luke sighed. Why did Dixie have to be best friends with his cousin's wife? But at least for now, Dixie was a problem he wouldn't have to deal with.

Back at the farm Dixie had stayed at the farm only at Cooter's insistance. Beth and Daisy knew her way too well. They knew why she had came back to Hazzard as soon as they saw the familar class ring hanging on a chain around her neck. She reminded Daisy of the young teenager that Daisy had helped transpose from a 'Tomboy" into the young lady that had stolen Luke's heart before he realized what had happened. She had been at the farm a mere half hour when she said, "It took me this long to get my nerve up to come back. I've got to go see if Luke will even speak to me NOW or I'll chicken totally out and go back home. I haven't had 'butterflies' since I left. I think they multiplied!"

Reaching into the high cabinet Beth handed Daisy a Mason jar with only about a quarter gone. Dasiy reached for a small glass pouring her a sip of Jesse's shine. "Here, Sugar, this is for the butterflies. Shall we Beth?"

"Come on I wouldn't miss this. Give me two minutes to tell the kids where we will be. I'll meet you at the car." She said tossing the keys to her 1969 Ford Mustang to Daisy.

No, Luke wouldn't have to deal with Dixie until he got to the farm that was. When she had left years ago she swore she'd never return. Until tonight she had been true to her word. Luke blamed himself for her leaving. "Why come back now?" Luke wondered and worried to himself. Luke ordered another beer. "Glad Beth insisted Bo, Jr. drive tonight. He had liked driving Luke's truck since he had gotten it." Smiled Luke.

Bo had seen Luke drink like this before. Once when he had broken up with his first serious girl friend (Before Dixie), again after that race driver Amy Creavy left and then every year that she did not return for the annual race. Bo thought, "I expect he would have drank like this to after Dixie left if he'd been able to!.....OH, #^(%^#(, THAT IS IT!" Bo's mind had been so busy he had forgotten the memory he just remembered. That was why Luke was acting like this!

A waitress that had know Luke for years asked him to dance. Though he didn't want to dance with her he accepted. They were dancing to a slow song. Tonight the music was not a live band it was rather nice system connected into a computer so that about any song you wanted to hear could be downloaded in minutes. One of Beth and Bo's friends were running the music. The front door opened, unnoticed by the guys, in walked Daisy, Beth and Dixie. They were dressed for a good time. When Dixie saw Luke after all this time, he still took her breath away. Beth eased off to the DJ's. Dixie got up her nerve to approach Luke, she tapped his shoulder and said, "Can I cut in?"

The waitress didn't know what happened. She was standing in the middle of the dance floor looking at Luke who now had Dixie wrapped in his arms. They were kissing most passionately. They had gotten the whole places attention. The DJ began playing Alabama's "Old Flame". To Luke and Dixie no one else in the world exsisted. With the kisses, the old memories flooded forward, and the tears began to fall. Several minutes had past when Luke through tear filled eyes managed to say, "We have to talk." Dixie nodded her agreement as Luke took her by the hand. They made their way through the crowd walking outside.

At the table, Bo, Jr. was the first to speak as Beth and Daisy arrived. "What just happened? And who was THAT?"

Bo being the only one with more than a clue said, "That is Cooter's sister Dixie. As for what happened, if you didn't live it you'll have to get it out of Luke or Dixie. Son, I don't know if there's that much moonshine left in Hazzard County to get that story told."

Cooter said through wide eyes, "Bo, you have got to be right! That's what has had Luke's attention all evening. I plumb forgot! You are right, ....." he saw the younger crews look, "you'll all hear that from them not me!" he exclaimed.

Bo saw the glimmer in his wife's eye. "What?" he asked her.

"Oh, nothing. I just love that song."

Bo smiled, knowing full well when to take a hint. He stood up and put his arms around Beth, and the two of them took to the dance floor.

Cooter asked Daisy for a dance, and she agreed. Coy, Vance, and Jeb each found a pretty waitress to dance with, and Bo, Jr. sat at the table, kicking the table leg in dissapointment. Everybody was in their own happy little world, dancing with new friend, old friends, and old flames...at least in Luke's case... Even his parents were dancing, and he was sitting at a table all alone. Was something so wrong with him? He looked just like his dad, and from his understanding, during his high school years, Bo had always had a girl on either arm. What was the problem with him?

Bo, Sr. was absorbed in his wife's blue eyes, when she said, "Bo...Dixie still loves him..."

"Huh?"

"I said Dixie still loves Luke. She loves him, and she came back to see him."

"Oh, Lord..." Bo said. "This road just keeps windin'."

Beth laughed at her husband. She looked over at Luke and Dixie, who were just outside the door, still lost in each other's arms, and just smiled. "Let's just hope it's gettin' itself straightened out tonight."

Bo looked at her. "You really think it'll be this easy? I mean, good Lord... You saw what happened to them two last time. You think they can make it work now?"

"I don't know, Bo. But look at those two... What do you see?"

Bo grinned, "I see Luke gettin' even more drunk a few hours from now. Keep that jar of Jesse's shine hidden."

Beth laughed. "I see a couple of teenagers who just grew up too soon."

"Kinda like us, huh?" Bo said. They both knew what he was talking about. Bo, Jr's birth wasn't planned, and it had happened when they were both teenagers. But all had turned out all right in the end.

"No...not exactly...although we were... I mean they're like teenagers who forgot how important it is to be in love."

Bo pulled her close. "Honey, have I told you today how much I love you?"

"Yep. But tell me again...I think I mighta forgot."

Bo smiled and said, "I love you more than anything," then kissed her gently.

"I love you, too. Always."

"Well, I think we better get back home. Don't want Ruth Anne up too late keepin' an eye and ear out for the young'uns," Bo said. "But we're gonna hafta do this again before the family leaves out."

"Absolutely," she said, pecking him on the cheek. "I wasn't ready to leave, though."

"Me neither."

"I told Ruth Anne it was gonna be a long night, and she said she was gonna watch some movie that was coming on anyway."

"Well then, we'll just have to continue this little party," Bo said, smiling as his wife rested her head on his chest.

Meanwhile, outside...

Outside:

Dixie shivered though it was a summer night. "What's wrong? You can't be cold."

She smiled, "No, I'm not cold." She smiled, "Even Jesse's finest couldn't calm me down."

Luke smiled back, "I thought I tasted it." he paused, "What do you say we just go inside, have a good time, and get reaquainted? There's not many people in the County who will even remember you, let alone our past."

"That sounds good." she gave him a long kiss before they went back inside.

At the table Luke saw Bo, Jr. looking a bit down in the dumps. "Bo, Jr. this is Cooter's sister. Dixie this is Bo's son Bo, Jr."

Bo smiled politely, "Nice to meet you." He saw some of his buddies finally arrive. "Excuse me. Uncle Luke, Dixie, I see some friends." he walked over to his friends. Amoung them was a dark headed young man slightly older than Bo, Jr. The adults weren't paing too much attention to Bo. Jr's friend in the dark smokey bar.

The adults enjoyed getting reaquainted with each other. Luke had loosened up quiet a bit and was actually enjoying himself now that Dixie was there.

Cooter asked a question that had been in the back of several of the male Dukes mind. "So, Bo, who is the local law these days?"

Bo replied, "....................

Luke Was feeling happy as a Clam and Dixie was just as happy but

unfortunetly things could change , I came hoping we could rekindle and finish where we left off ", Dixie said , Luke with happy tears in his eyes " Dixie i love .......... , you and i ...... i..... feelin' like i wanna have some fun but i'm kinda nervous about starting where we left off i mean i was only 18 here i'm 30 i feel like a kid again .

So Meanwhile in the Boars Nest Bo , Daisy , and Beth was wondering what was going on with Luke and Dixie Bo was just waiting for time when he would have to carry Luke out to the General seeing as how Luke had more then his share of Beers. So when Luke and Dixie came in both happy and having fun Luke was heading to the bar to get beer he said

" Hey Charlie how's about another one.

At the table, Bo answered Cooter's question, "Well...There's still a few who were here when Rosco was around... But not many. Boss has been gone a while now...so not much trouble goes down anymore..."

Cooter grinned, "Hazzard must be boring, now."

"Nah. It's still wild. Especially tonight. Have you seen how many beers Luke's had on top of that shine?" Bo asked.

"Oh, Lord," Cooter said. "I lost count after about the sixth or seventh."

"Well, there have been alot more after those..." Bo said, looking warily at his half-drunk, all-crazy cousin.

Beth looked at her husband, "Bo, you better stop him. I don't want any of y'all to come in too drunk when there are children in the house."

"I know," Bo said, standing up to go over to his cousin.

Meanwhile, across the room, Bo, Jr. was still standing with his friends, one of them being his former partner in crime, Jake Miller, the friend with whom Bo had first smoked, first had beer, and first driven too fast. Thankfully, only the last habit had stuck to the young man. But he would've liked a beer. Or some of Jesse's shine.

"How's it goin', college man?" asked Jake, who, despite some of the things they had done together, was still a good friend to Bo.

"Good. There ain't nothin' to do in Hazzard. How bad can it be, when your Mama and Daddy go to the Boar's Nest with ya, and you sure as heck can't drink with them around.

"Lord, looks like y'all are havin' a big reunion tonight."

"Yep...we are... Uncle Luke, and Jeb, and Coy, and Vance, and Aunt Daisy came. Heck, even Cooter and Dixie came..."

"Dixie? Who's that?"

"Cooter's sister. She and Uncle Luke used to go together, and for some reason, they decided to pick back up tonight."

"Man, there's a party tonight that's gonna be out of this world over at Nicole Hartman's house," Jake said.

"I can't go tonight. Gotta drive Uncle Luke's truck."

"Huh?"

"Cause Uncle Luke is drunk...big time."

Jake smiled. "Been there, done that. Well, reckon I better get going."

"OK, thanks for tellin' me, anyways."

"No problem, man."

The adults were gathered at the table, where, not even Bo's insistence that Luke drink no more alcohol, could put a damper on what the dark-haired man was feeling. Not seeing Dixie in so long, and then having her here with him...This was going to be something so different... He wouldn't be able to explain it, just live in it's light.

Bo looked at his watch. "Good Lord. It's 2:00 in the morning."

"Oh, Lord, Bo!" Luke said, "We used to hang around till they closed at 3:00 or kicked us out, one."

"Well, I've got a family, now. And my kids are at home, and Ruth Anne's probably still awake. So we gotta get on home."

This statement bothered Luke somewhat. Sometimes, after Bo had become a family man, Luke wondered how much the family he had grown up with meant to him.

But he obediently stood, as Bo and Beth and the others gathered to go back. Bo, Jr. came over quickly lest anyone take over his place behind the wheel of Luke's truck. Bo had to help Luke just a little, since he was quite drunk. They all loaded up and headed home, Dixie in Luke's truck, right at his side.

So Bo , Beth , and Daisy was riding in the General , Cooter in his tow truck , and Bo Jr Luke and Dixie in Luke's truck but unfortunetly Luke is Drunk big time he is gonna have quite the hangover tomorrow .

Speaking of Luke he was not feeling so hot " Oh my stomach i think i had too many beers and Uncle Jesse's finest then all of sudden luke started feeling sleepy he tried to fight it off by asking Dixie if her feelings for him has changed she said " Why no honey i still love you i came back to see if you still loved me "? , Luke was about to respond when he passed out.

"Oh, Lord," Bo Jr. said, shaking his head.

Dixie put her arm around Luke and said, "He'll be OK when he sleeps it off."

She looked down at Luke. "He looks so young and innocent," she thought, knowing that nothing could have been further from the truth. Luke had lived a pretty rough life between keeping one step ahead of the law and being a Duke...being expected to be the kind of man Uncle Jesse was, when, although much was the same about the two men, so much was different.

But Luke was a good man, though perhaps a little too safe and cautious. He had a hard time taking chances. Bo had always been the risk taker. Luke was never good at that.

Meanwhile, in the General, Beth was in the front seat, leaning over on Bo's shoulder half-asleep. She put her arms around his arm, and kissed his cheek. "I love you, Bo Duke," she said softly.

"I love you, too," he said.

"Y'all are so sweet!" Daisy said from the back seat, finding a familiar emptiness in her heart. She had hoped that a visit to Hazzard would bring Enos Strate back into her life... But he was in California, working with honest lawmen, which had been what he'd wanted all along.

Bo smiled. Life was never better. He hoped that life would hold good things for all in his family.

Coy, Vance, and Jeb were in Beth's car, and the longer they drove, the more worried she got. Three slightly intoxicated Duke boys driving her car. But they all arrived at home without a hitch.

Ruth Anne had put the little ones to bed, so that was good. Especially when Bo had to carry Luke in over his shoulder. As he laid his cousin on the couch, Bo said, "Lord have mercy. I don't have the back I used to have."

Beth kissed him. "You're not old, Bo."

"I'm old enough," he said, kissing her in return.

Beth started figuring out places for everyone to sleep. Daisy was going to share a bed with Ruth Anne, who didn't mind, knowing that she and Daisy would probably talk for an hour or two after lights went out. Dixie was going to sleep in a roll away bed in the girls' room. Luke was going to sleep on the couch since he wasn't going anywhere, and Coy, Vance, Jeb, and Cooter were going to sleep at various places on the living room floor.

The family all eventually went to sleep, but the women were up early, helped by the girls with the rest of the huge supper for later that night.

"So, Dixie," Beth asked, "was it as hard as you thought it would be?"

"Nope. Harder," Dixie said. "I don't want to talk about it right now, but alot happened between me and Luke, and it isn't easy being back with someone like that. But I care about him."

"Speaking of Luke..." Daisy began as they saw him making a bee line for the bathroom, "he's awake...and he's regretting last night."

The women had to laugh. "Poor Luke," Beth said. "I shouldn't have suggested Uncle Jesse's finest."

Dixie smiled. "He would have had enough beers to make up for it."

"True," Beth agreed.

All kinds of thoughts were running through Luke's mind as he felt the effects of his drinking. But the one overwhelming thought was getting to talk to Dixie again and straighten things out. If that was even possible...

Luke had indeed made a bee line for the restroom. After so much beer last night had had to empty his bladder rather badly. Everyone else had thought he was sick but you might take the man out of the Marines but you never take the Marines out of the man. As he turned on the shower, he did have to admit it had been a long time since he had drank so much in such a short period of time. Luke did take an extra long shower to get the cobwebs out of his head. After a shower and shave he was as good as new.

In the kitchen the others were relieved to hear the shower cut on. The others came into the kitchen filling coffee cups while breakfast cooked. After a big breakfast no one at the table showed any signs of drinking too much. Much the the relief of Beth. Of course she had been around them as had Dixie and Daisy when they had all drank to much.

Cooter said at the table, "Do you belief we all went out, had a good time without any fights OR arrests?"

He said that a bit too loud for Bo and Luke. They both cringed a bit as Bo, Jr. asked, "What do you mean by that Uncle Cooter?"

Beth shot Cooter a dirty look. As Bo jumped to the rescue, "Son, things use to be a lot different in Hazzard County."

"I know you have told me that. But to hear Uncle Cooter tell it YOU and Luke have been in fights and to jail. I can't imagine that and no one has ever said that before."

Luke, Cooter, Coy, Vance, Jeb, Dixie, and Daisy about choked on their morning coffee as Bo, Jr. finished that statement.

Bo and Beth were shocked. They didn't remember mentioning any of those times but thought that the kids would have surely heard some of the stories of the 'infamous Duke boys'.

Hoping to give Bo and Beth a minute to regain there breathing Luke was the one to speak. "Son, believe me when I tel you there are things in mine and your Dad's past we may not be proud of, however, it was a different time and a different place then. Things may sound worse than they were if you ever hear the stories that may be exagerated by now. "

Bo, Jr wasn't satisfied with the vague answer. Sohe had to ask a question that Luke could not avoid. "You have been in a fight?"

Luke replied, "Yes."

Bo, Jr's eyes opened wide, "Have you ever been in jaill?"

Luke looked from Cooter to Bo. Cooter gave him a regretting look. Bo nodded that it was OK to answer. Luke had waited, respecting his cousin's authority as a father. Finally he answered, "More than I'd like to remember. However, 99-100 was this County trying to frame me and Bo (He slipped.) for something we didn't do to keep us out of races or out of their hair so they could do something illegal."

Now Bo, Jr.'s eyes were really wide, "MY DAD was in JAIL? NO Way!" he exclaimed. "I want details!"

Bo using that 'Uncle Jesse' no nonsense tone said, "This is not a breakfast topic. We will all talk about this later, when the others aren't likely to walk in. End of discussion."

Beth finally let out a relieved sigh when Bo, Jr answered, "Yes, Sir."

Cooter said, "Me and my big mouth! Sorry about that you all."

Beth put her arms around Bo's shoulders, "It's Ok, Cooter. We, I know I didn't, know the kids didn't know some of the things these two have gotten into."

Bo suggested, Why don't we all get together tonight sometime and tell old stories?"

"Oh, Lord!" replied Luke. "I lived them once!"

"Come on, if I'm willing to tell my kids on myself you can at least help." said Bo.

"Ok." Luke agreed. He wasn't real happy but agreed.

Bo, Jr. asked, "Can my friend Jake come over to here the stories? He thinks Hazzard is boring."

Beth nodded, "As long as thye are airing there sorted past you might as well have company listening. I'm sure they will bore you all soon enough."

Luke replied, "If we bore you to early and you promise to take care of it you two can take my truck out tonight." seeing Beth's look. "If your Dad and Mom don't care. We'll just have to see." promised Luke.

"Thanks, Uncle Luke." Bo, Jr. ws sure glad to have his Uncle Luke back. His mood had really imporved from last night.

Luke was feeling more at home and very glad he had came in for this couple of weeks. He was also glad that for some reason Dixie had also decided to return to Hazzard for ...... Wait we never talked about how long she planned to stay. Course we didn't talk about too much at all. I was just glad to be able to hold her. He looked over at her. She was smiling also.

After the chores were done Bo, Jr. took Lukes' truck over to Jake Miller's house. "Man, have we ever got to talk!"

Jake replied, "About what?"

"You know Cooter?" Bo said as Jake nodded yes, "Well, he let it slip this morning, get this, MY DAD and Uncle Luke have been in fights and been in jail. Can you imagine?"

"No, I can't. What for?" asked Jake.

"Well, that's where everybody hushed everybody else." said Bo, Jr.

"Ah, man!" eclaimed Jake. "Just when I thought there might be something interesting about Hazzard."

Bo, Jr. smiled, "I kept insisting. They agreed to have a kind of 'story hour' tonight at the house. You are invited. They think they will bore us and if they do Uncle Luke said we could take his truck out tonight. 'If it OK with Mom and Dad.' " he whined sarcastically.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Late that afternoon, Bo, Jr and Jake came around the house. Luke was at the General Lee. They heard him say, "Lordy, General, I'm sorry I've been away so long. What on Earth has he done to you and how are you still running?" He asked as he pulled out a spark plug. "That's it. you hang in there 'Old fellow' tomorrow Cooter and I will give you a good tune up. With all us in there's no telling when we will need you!" Luke systematically took out all eight spark plugs, cleaning them as best he could and regapped them correctly. Bo could drive. Luke would give him that, but Luke was the mechanic of the two and even he needed Cooter's magic at times.

"Who are you talking to there Uncle Luke?" asked Bo, Jr. nudging Jake.

"Me and the General are having us a discussion about....." Luke trailed off. As he turned around and saw Bo, Jr.'s friend there.

At about this time Dixie walked outside to the guys. As she looked up she too saw Jake Miller, Bo, Jr.'s friend.

He was a dark tanned, dark haired, blue eyed, handsome young man of about 20.

It was this moment that Bo and Beth came up to them also. They had heard of Jake and seen him froma distance but Jake hadn't been in Hazzard long so they had never talked to him up close.

"Jake this is, .......... " Bo, Jr. started to introduce Jake to the family when he looked up to see the four of his family members looking as pale as if they had seen a ghost. "What's wrong with you all?"

Standing before them was a very familar face.

It took Luke several minutes before he asked with a slightly stained voice, "Jake, you're fromaround here? Who are your parents. I may know them?" questioned Luke.

Jake thought the whole bunch was a bit strange, but Bo, Jr. had told him that much. "Originally I am from here, though I grew up mainly out of here. We just came back a couple of years ago. They are Sandy and Robert Miller."

He took another look at the youth in front of him and point blank bolted! He headed toward the barn. Luke had always went to the barn when he was upset. Almost at the same time Bo and Dixie left after him, followed by Beth.

"What just happened? I know you said your family is different but man!" said Jake.

Bo, Jr. shook his head. "Beats me. Let's go raid the frig."

"Sure." said Jake.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bo and Dixie entered in time to see Luke swing at a support pole of the barn.

Bo jumped in stopping his hand before he could swing again. "LUKE!" he shouted. "What is wrong?"

Luke turned on Bo, "You DID see what I saw!"

Dixie wrapped her arms around him from behind. "Luke we all saw YOU about 20 years ago. Did you know this Sandy Miller?"

Luke shook his head yes, "Yes, but not like that. Remember Bo? They were married when we were in Jr. High school. Several years went by before they had children."

The lights came on in Bo's head. "Yeah, remember, no one knew they were going to have a baby, then all of a sudden, they had a baby." Bo paused. "Luke you don't think?"

"All I know cousin, is we have a trip to town to make. It will be dark before we get there if you are game?"

"Yeehawww!" Bo exclaimed. Hoping to lighten the mood. "The Duke boys ride again! Race you to the General Lee."

"Hold up a second Bo! We need a diversion!" said Luke.

Together they said, "COOTER!" and dashed towards the house.

Dixie and Beth just stood there. Beth said, "Diversion?" Dixie said "Cooter?"

Together they said, "Oh, Lord!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Obviously to themselves they had fallen back on an old plan. The girls would have never approved of or understood. Both men knew Luke would not rest until he found what he needed to know. At the Hazzard garage, which was still owner by Cooter but ran by his cousin LB, the guys watch the local law leave the Hazzard Courthouse. Bo and Luke eased oer to the side of the street where they were parked at the side of the Courthouse inthe General Lee. Cooter kept a watch from the wrecker at the garage. Luke and Bo walked across the lawn the had signs that read "Do Not Walk on Grass". At the side of the Courthouse, Luke pulled out his ever trusty pocket knife. He pried the window which still had missing paint chips from the last time he had did this. Luke opened the window. Bo cupped his hands and tossed Luke into the window. Once in Luke grabbed Bo's hands, who walked the wall into the window. Once in they tip toed to the file room, finding a drawer marked "Adoptions".Opening the drawer, Luke skimmer to the folder marked 2 years before Bo. Jr.'s birth. After several files he found the one marked 'Miller Adoption'. Pulling out the file he steeled himself to read the file. It read: Adoption between Sandy and Robert Miller AND Margie Ledbetter. Flipping the page he saw the Birth certificate dated exactly 10 months after he had broken up with Robin (His first 'serious' girl). The birth certificate was for baby boy. Mother Margie Ledbetter. Father was listed as --- All Parental rights forfeited. See attached sheet. Luke flipped the page --- Father of 'baby boy' born to Margie Ledbetter has given permission for adoption and waves all parental rights. It was signed "Lucas Keith Duke" the signature was a very poor copy which led Luke to believe Margie herself may have signed it. Luke looked at Bo with tear filled eyes as he handd it to Bo to read. At this very moment they heard Cooter's horn blow. Bo refiled the folder and shut the drawer. A key turned in the door. Luke and Bo dove out the open Courthouse window. Landing with a thud, they quickly ran to the General and sped off toward the farm.

So Bo and a very confused , sad Luke made it out to Cooter's truck when the boys got their Bo was the first to speak " Cooter you won't believe what me and Luke found out in Jake's folder Luke is still somewhat shell shocked about the whole deal ",

Then Cooter turned to Luke and said " Luke why is you being quiet as a mouse did you find out what you was looking for ? at first Luke didn't hear him he was too busy daydreaming so Cooter spoke again " Luke did you find something you didn't want to see ?

Then Luke looked up with tears in his eyes " !!! I ........ , i........ , i'm so scared what if he don't like me i never knew she never told me i so afraid i wish uncle Jesse was here Bo i need him right now!!", then Bo said " Luke you have me , Cooter , Daisy , and the rest of the family it's okay you ain't alone", then the tears that where in Luke's eyes spilled on his face and Bo pulled him into a hug and Luke cried his heart out for at least two hours then Bo said " C'mon it'll be okay everything will be fine Luke finally stopped he said with a strained voice " Bo i feel strange i feel dizzy then Bo said " Luke don't worry your probably still in a state of shock from all of this c'mon let's go home . So Bo , Cooter , and Luke got into the truck Luke layed his head on Bo's shoulder he passed out.

Luke wondered how he ever let that happen. He slumped in his seat, feeling just like Uncle Jesse had been right behind him, looking over his shoulder when he'd read that paper. "How could you let this happen?" he heard Jesse's voice saying in the back of his mind. "And why did you run, Luke? Dukes never run."

Bo wondered how this had happened. He believed it in his head, but it hadn't clicked in his heart. His cousin had a son...a son that none of them had had the joy of getting to know as such.

Luke closed his eyes against the urge to cry. He wouldn't cry. He was a grown man, and a Duke man at that. He couldn't cry. He'd cried enough. He'd cried when he'd the problems that lead to his son's birth had happened. And he wouldn't do it again! But he felt like crying like a lost little boy.

And it hurt him that Bo wouldn't look at him. He closed his eyes and turned to the window, wishing he'd just disappear.

Luke began to think. Yes, he did know how this had happened as soon as he'd seen Jake's birthday. Ten months after his break up with Robin. That was the time frame that got him his bad reputation with all the fathers in the County. This was the time that Luke Duke thought he knew it all -- like most all teens go through. He was drinking way too much, way too often and going out with all the girls of the County just to 'get' what he could then moving on to the next 'challege'. Bo had often teased him that he had figured at least two of the children in the Hazzard County Orphanage could be Luke's. Luke had taken the teasing in good fun right up until now. Luke found his voice finally, "Bo, ...... I .......didn't .. know......" he choked. There was something else he had to tell his younger cousin that was going to be hard. "I'm sorry. I gave you so much sh--- about Bo, Jr."

Now Bo was having a hard time seeing the road as his own eyes now filled with tears.

From the wrecker behind them, Cooter called, "Might be Crazy but I ain't dumb. Crazy Cooter coming at ya! ....... Fellas, I don't know what's going on up there, but I can only hold these blue lights back here for so long."

Bo and Luke both looked over their shoulders at the same time. Neither had seen the lights or heard the siren.

NARRATOR "Do you think they are loosing their touch?"

They both said, "Sh---!" Bo grabbed another gear and stepped on the gas pedal.

Well Folks O'l Luke was feelin' lower then he has ever felt in his entire life

he just could not get out of this puddle he was in but unfortunetly sooner or later he is gonna have to face his fear and tell Jake the truth only he don't think he can without breaking out the tissues.

Bo looked over at his Cousin he could tell that he was hurting pretty bad over this news that he recently found out about he said " Luke cheer up please i ......, i...... know your feeling cause i'm feeling the same way about all that stuff you said about Bo Jr i forgive you but you have to get this out you can't lose your marbles ", look Luke i don't want you doing something crazy like commiting sewerside like you did in the barn !" :p

Then Luke looked over and said "I'm sorry Bo about what i did in the barn it's just that I was so frightened about the fact that he'll hate me .

Bo took a hard turn, throwing the General into for all he was worth. "Come ON, General!" Bo said under his breath. The car was giving all it was worth. He angrily wiped the tears in his eyes away, unable to see the road through them. He finally got focused, and turned down a familiar road, chased by blue lights. Dang deputies!

Luke took the CB and paged Cooter, "Ol' Coot, this here's Lost Sheep One. You got anything up your sleeve?"

Cooter replied, "Not anymore. I'm respectable, now. Remember?"

Luke swore under his breath. Then he looked at the road. "Oh, Lord. We're headed out to Dry Creek."

Bo had lost the sense the good Lord gave him, at least in Luke's opinion. The younger man yelled, "YEEEEEHAAAAA!!!!"

"Lord help us!" Luke whispered, as Dry Creek came closer and closer.

Bo floored it as they got up to the edge, and the General flew over, and hit the ground with a thud. Luke smiled just a little as his stomach cut a flip inside of him. The old feeling of being a Duke boy with not a care in the world took over...at least for the time being.

Once on the ground safely, Luke keyed the mic, "Cooter go down stream there's a crossing about a half mile where you can get through. They are sure to follow us."

Cooter was thinking, "I wish I was half as sure that they will follow you, but it's the only plan I got. These guys are not Rosco they may not try the jump." Cooter ran the wrecker up close to the creek bank as if he were going to jump it, then turned a sharp right.

The deputies must surely felt lucky as they did attempt the jump, luckly for the guys the cruisers still didn't have anywhere the flying ability that the General Lee did. They landed HARD in the middle of the creek bed. That car would definetly need some suspension work after the wreck pulled it out. Cooter stopped to make sure they were Ok, then caught up to Bo and Luke.

"Da---! That felt good Bo!" said Luke temporarily letting his troubles go to the back of his mind.

"Yes, it did at that! You know sometimes I think I try to be too responsible! Can YOU believe that from ME?" asked Bo.

Luke reflected just a second, "Yeah, that is a good one. Remember, Uncle Jesse telling us we'd never grow up, that we'd just older?"

Bo smiled. "Yes, I do."

"I guess that I have pretty much always tried to be too responsible, with the exception of about a two year period in my life that I thought I knew everything. Seems that period has came back a bit me more than once. I guess I'll pay for at least two those bits this 'vacation'. said Luke.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back at the farm Daisy, Beth and Dixie had sent the kids on various errands so they could have the house to themselves. Beth voiced what was on all there minds, "Dixie, if Luke finds out what we suspect, can you live with that?"

Dixie sipped her coffee, "That's one worry Luke will not have. Besides, Jake is now a young man it's not like he needs raising."

Daisy said, "But he's another woman child."

Dixie replied, "Honey, I knew I wasn't Luke's first. Lord, knows I was not his last either."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bo, Jr and Jake had been sent to town to pick up something for supper. Bo, Jr. being Bo's son decided totake a short cut across a large field down by Dry Creek. They were crossing the field as they heard the Dixie horns from the General Lee and a siren. They looked ahead just in time to see the General Lee go airborn! Followed by the patrol car that landed in the creek bed. They also saw Cooter's wrecker go down stream and cross the creek bed. Jake was the first to speak, "Did you see that?!?!"

"Yeah, I saw it! I didn't know Uncle luke could drive like that!" said Bo.

Jake replied, "How do you know it was your uncle driving?"

"Cause Dad is too responsible to try THAT!"

At the farm the ladies heard the General coming into the yard. Dixie was out the door followed by Daisy and Beth. They waited on the porch trying to judge what had happened. Cooter got out of the wrecker and ran toward the General. Bo circled the General and they all ended up in a back slapping, hugging, laughing huddle.

Beth sized up the situation in two words, "Oh, Sh---!"

Daisy followed by saying, "What have they done?"

Dixie's response was, "We MAY NOT want to know!"

Cooter was still laughing like a hyiena. Bo and Luke were talking a mile a minute as Bo, Jr's car pulled up. Bo, Jr. and Jake joined the guys.

Phrases like, "That was GREAT!!!", "How did you do THAT?", "That was wild!", "I want to learn to do that!" could be heard on the porch.

Bo was the first to look up. Seeing that look on his wife's face...........

~~~~~~~~~~~

Cue BETHIE :)

Bo felt just like the kid the teacher caught cheating on the test.

"Beauregard Jackson Duke, just what do you think you're doing?" Beth asked.

Bo Jr. started to defend himself before realizing his mother was giving "the look" to his dad, and not him. He'd heard her use his full name so many times that it was weird to think of her using it for his dad.

Bo, Sr. was holding his hands up, as if to protect himself. And he thought it might just be necessary to keep his wife from killing him on the spot.

"Mom, don't get mad at him," Bo, Jr. interjected. "He just jumped Dry Creek to keep the cops...from...catchin' him." He trailed off as he realized that what he was saying was only further incriminating his dad.

"You were running from the police, Bo? You were running from the police?"

"Well...only cause me and Luke had to get in that courthouse to find them papers about..." he caught a glimpse of Jake and Bo, Jr. out of the corner of his eye. "about that thing..."

"Bo, you snuck in the courthouse and read files that are... not there for you to read..." Beth's eyes were boring holes through him.

"Honey, you knew me and Luke had to read that file. We had to."

"You had to jump the General over Dry Creek? You had to? How did you have to? And especially in front of Jake and Bo, Jr."

"Yes, we had to. And I didn't know Bo and Jake were there," Bo said.

"OK, fine," Beth said, angrily. "I'm going inside to get lunch ready. We'll talk more about this later."

As soon as the women were in the house, all the men except Bo, Jr. and Jake started laughing at Bo. Coy said, "Well, looks like Bo's gonna be sleeping on the floor in the livin' room tonight."

Bo tried to laugh, but considering that that was a very real possibility, it didn't seem too funny to him.

The whole group ate lunch, then sat around awhile until it got late and the little ones started getting sleepy. Michaela dropped off to sleep first, followed by Caroline. Ruth Anne had a date, who was coming to pick her up soon, and Jesse was complaining that he didn't wanna go to bed, he wanted to hear the stories. Bo firmly insisted that his youngest son go to bed, not without making him mad, though.

When Ruth Anne's date came to pick her up, all of Bo's cousins gave him the protective father type stare down, followed by the twenty questions, until Ruth Anne stopped them, and said, "OK, Nathan, let's go."

The men laughed as the two of them went out to leave. "I can't wait to have kids," Vance said.

Luke found himself cringing at that remark, but finally said, "Well, we promised some young fellas a story time, and we better get to it."

Bo agreed, and as they all sat down, Jake and Bo, Jr. side by side, Daisy, Bo, and Luke looked at them for a long moment. And there they saw Luke and Bo years earlier. The boys didn't have to tell anyone else what they had found at the Courthouse. Everyone knew.

Bo started the first story. "Well... I reckon I was about ten or so when me and Luke first got drunk..."

(Cue Dixie 8) )

Bo, Jr and Jake both said, "TEN?"

Luke added, "Yeah, but it was by accident. See Jesse and Boss Hogg were partners then."

Bo, Jr. asked, "A Duke and Hogg partners? No way!"

Luke continued, "Yes, I told you there have been many changes in Hazzard over the years." he paused as Dixie cuddled closer to him. They were on the couch. She was setting beside him and had just pulled her feet up behind her and had absent mindedly undone one of the snaps on his blue plaid shirt to put her fingers on his chest. He wrapped his arm around her waist a bit tighter.

Bo continued for Luke. "Uncle Jesse and JD were partners for a long while until Bogg's greed got the best of him. Jesse was really particular about quality. Anyway, they had finished a good run and were about to toast with Jesse's finest shine. Uncle Jesse poured two 'jelly glasses' about half full of shine for a toast. He must have heard us coming in and turned to put the jar away when me and Luke here rushed in from playing. We raced through the kitchen chasing each other. Before Uncle Jesse could stop us we saw the glasses of 'water' on the table."

Luke interupted, "We had indeed had glasses of water on the table before we went outside."

Bo said, "Yeah, I forgot that. Anyway, we had been playing hard and were thirsty. We downed the 'water' before we could be stopped or before we knew what was happening. The next second we could not breath! We scared the sh-- out of both Jesse and JD. Once they got us to breath again, there wasn't much they could do with us! We were drunk as skunks!"

Jake's eye were wide, "You didn't get into trouble?"

Wiping the tears from laughing so hard while telling the story Bo said, "Nah, not for drinking the shine. Jesse figured it as much his fault as ours."

Luke said, "I think we got talked to about running in the house the next day AFTER we woke up."

Tell the one about Uncle Jesse finding you all layed out on the porch, said Daisy.

Dixie and Beth were not sure at this time if these were stories for the boys to hear. Yes, they had all lived them and lived through them but things were sure different then.

Luke thought back for a minute, then sighed and began, "Uncle Jesse had to go out of town for a couple of days. At this time Bo, Cooter and I were about your all's age, just over 18. The others had gladly made plans to stay with friends. Cooter was going to stay with us to help take care of the daily chores. After a bit of supper that Jesse had cooked before leaving, we finished the chores. Out in the barn, I asked if they were interested in having a good time tonight. Cooter and Bo were game. I went to the back of the barn where I had stashed something a couple of days before. I brought out a WHOLE gallon of Jesse's finest moonshine. We guys sipped and talked, played music as loud as we wanted. We were having us a great time. At some point during the night we started trying to see who could out drink who. About an hour of drinking pretty heavy Bo was ready for bed. We followed making sure that he got to his bed. He managed that. We took off his boots tossed a cover over him. Then we went back to the barn where we continued to drink slightly slower than we had been. Dawn was breaking as Cooter and I went to the house." Luke paused took a sip of beer. "I'm still not quite sure what happened between the barn and the porch. All I know is the next thing I remember is getting very rudely awaken by a man that looked a lot like my Uncle Jesse, but this had to be his evil twin."

Cooter said, "You ain't whistling Dixie there Luke."

"Jesse had pulled up in his pick up EARLY the next morning. His business was done the night before. He SAID he saw Cooter sprawled on the walk before you get to the porch. A few feet ahead of him, I had made it to the porch. We had put Bo to bed earlier." Luke continued, "He us told we had an hour. We could sleep, shower, eat what ever, but we had BETTER be ready to work in 1 hour. This was the hottest part of the summer. I got a cup of coffee and headed for the shower. The floor was still moving. Bo here slept. Cooter figured coffee and breakfast would neutralize the alcohol - he was wrong. Exactly one hour later, our beloved Uncle's evil twin decided that the back 40 needed plowed. Fellas, the back 40 had never been plowed before or after THAT day. By 9am it was 80 degrees in the shade, which there was darn little of in the back 40. It felt hotter! Jesse had also taken a large container of water. If you don't know this, believe me when I tell you, if you were really drunk the night before and drink water, you will get drunk all over again. Uncle Jesse's evil twin knew this. The hotter it got, the more we worked, the more water we drank the sicker we got. At lunch time, we had an hour break, I crawled under the pick up for shade. Those two found a small patch of shade under a tree. An hour later, we were in no better shape. Believe me when I tell you too, there was not going to be any not working or complaining. At 5 pm all I wanted was a shower and my bed. The others were as bad or worse than I was." said Luke.

"Before we were allowed to quit for the day we had to hear THE speach. Uncle Jesse began, 'This family has made moonshine for well over 200 years. It has never been hidden or forbidden, nor will it be now. There is a time and a place to consume it in descent quanities. All night on a week night, when there is a work day following, is NOT the TIME. A gallon more or less between you three was not a descent quanity. I WILL NOT find any of the three of you passed out in the yard, on the porch, or half in and half out of a bed AGAIN! Is that clear?' said Luke as his Uncle had."

"By 6pm we were all three in bed. The next morning we still had a headache, and were a bit under the weather, but the work got done without a complaint one being voiced. Needless to say none of us tried that again on a week night!" Luke concluded.