Musical Chairs

Redneck girl 01

I looked up 'Emergency!'. It actually ran from 1972-79, so the last season overlapped with the first season of Dukes.

Well Hoss, technically the series ended in '77 but they did do movies in '78-79. Roy and Johnny weren't really the main people in most of them except for the movie where they become captains. But that's what I've heard about the movies. I haven't seen them yet. I'm barely through all the episodes.

Moving on to the '80s:

Back in the early '80s, The Art of Noise pushed sampling technology to the limit. Ironically, they later received a full writing credit for 'Firestarter' when The Prodigy sampled the word "Hey" from 'Close (To The Edit)'.

If there are any other AON fans out there, there was a great multi-track remix that appeared a few years ago:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm playing out of turn again and, as usual, it's because of sad news. This time it's to mark the passing of Patti Page earlier this week at the age of 85 (she only gave up touring last September!). I have the song below on a compilation, but I couldn't find a video for it (I chose it because it shares a word with the song in the previous post).

Trust In Me - Patti Page

She is best known for her hits of the '50s, including

and
, and was due to receive a Lifetime Achievement award at next month's Grammy ceremony. My personal favorite is
, which is the song on Marvin's record player when John McClane first meets him in 'Die Hard 2'. I was reminded of the song, and rediscovered the original, when Groove Armada sampled it in their chilled-out track

If you're fond of sand dunes and salty air

Quaint little villages here and there

You're sure to fall in love with old Cape Cod

R.I.P. Clara Ann Fowler aka. Patti Page (November 8, 1927 – January 1, 2013)

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe a bit of Ska will convince you :):

This one was a top 10 hit in the UK back in 1982, and features the inimitable Buster Bloodvessel on lead vocals. It's a cover of a song first recorded by

which was a minor hit in 1956. The best known, and most successful version was recorded by
in 1964. It made #2 in the US and UK and #1 in Ireland.

Sorry Hoss but I couldn't help myself. The New Kids will be on "The View" on Tuesday (sadly I won't be able to watch it... :( ) but they are suppose to reveal some news. I am hoping it is some tour dates for their upcoming NEW album that they have coming out in a couple of months. (See Hoss...in a couple of months I'll have some new and upstead NKOTB music. Just for you. ;):innocent: )

This song was supposedly written by Sheryl Crow (and Jeff Trott) about her ex-boyfriend, Eric Clapton. I thought it'd be fun to post the live version where Sheryl guest stars with Eric:

(Live with Eric Clapton)

Garrett Duke said:
The New Kids will be on "The View" on Tuesday (sadly I won't be able to watch it... :( ) but they are suppose to reveal some news. I am hoping it is some tour dates for their upcoming NEW album that they have coming out in a couple of months.

I'm gonna miss it too :(. I'm hoping the news is that they're entering a monastic order and taking a vow of silence ;).

HossC said:

This song was supposedly written by Sheryl Crow (and Jeff Trott) about her ex-boyfriend, Eric Clapton. I thought it'd be fun to post the live version where Sheryl guest stars with Eric:

(Live with Eric Clapton)

I'm gonna miss it too :(. I'm hoping the news is that they're entering a monastic order and taking a vow of silence ;).

Well Hoss you ask and you will recieve...here is some more NKOTB. Just for you...

Well Hoss, I hate to say this to you, but you are wrong. No way they would go anywhere in silence...not with such a huge fan base that they have. Hope you are not too disappointed when their big surprise is NOT what you are wanting. :D

Can't believe I didn't think of this song last night...one of the first things that entered my mind this morning was this song to this thread. Glad it still works. Love this song...and truly miss John Michael Montgomery and his music (on the Country music scene that is...)...saw him seven times in concert and he was AWESOME each and every time. I was 13 years old when this song came out and I still remember it as if it wasn't that long ago. Great song, great video, great singer! :)

Well well well....I can't do no hyper-linking the song thanks to wonderful dial-up, can't even get on YouTube to find the song...but I am just going to throw my response in and be on my way!! :wink:

Don't Worry Baby-The Tokens

I didn't even know that The Tokens had covered the song. You can listen to their 1970 version here.

The song was written by Brian Wilson who recorded it with The Beach Boys and released it in 1964. According to Wikipedia, Brian was trying to capture the essence of his all-time favorite record, "Be My Baby" by the Ronettes (see a few of posts back). You can listen to The Beach Boys' version here.

The song was also covered in 1977 by BJ Thomas, who changed the words a little. The video I found has an introduction that explains some of the different versions - skip to about 1:45 if you just want to hear the song. You can find it

(I have a hunch that Garrett will like this video ;)).

Other versions from the '70s include

(1973), and The Who drummer,
(1975).

(Live with Eric Clapton)

Well Hoss, I bet you are just dying to find out what the BIG NKOTB news was that they came out with on THE VIEW today...now aren't you? Well before I tell you the awesome news, let me post my AWESOME song!

"Don't Turn out the Lights" New Kids on the Block with Backstreet Boys

It is from their performance on Dancing with the Stars and does include a couple other NKOTB / BSB songs if you are interested. ;)

As for thier big news...sorry to say that you are way WRONG with your predictment of what the news is, Hoss. Sorry for you. Happy for me. Their big news is that they have a NEW CD coming out in early April, new single out next week...and get this - you'll love this - TOUR DATES!!!!!!!!!!! Better yet...looks like I may be going to go see them in July...this NKOTB fan is EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Bet you heard me yelling in excitement all the way where you are, huh, Hoss?)

So in other words, the New Kids on the Block is going to anything BUT silent this summer. Don't you just love it, Hoss? ;)

Don't you just love it, Hoss? ;)

My last post contained a video with you in mind, and this is how you repay me? I'm counting the days to the new album! What a shame their tour isn't leaving North America again.

Here's some smooth acid jazz from the '90s:

Norman Cook (aka. Fatboy Slim) was behind this song that came to greater prominence after it featured in a commercial for Levi's 501s. There's even a bongo solo near the end :).

Hahahaha oh my...I am enjoying reading the conversation on this thread between Garrett and Hoss. :popcorn: It has given me a good chuckle....

As I don't want to get in the middle :-P

I'm gonna grab my chance to post this song while I can....I love it....especially the line:

"If you hand me my crayons, I'll gladly take your name...In case I run across the guy you knew...But I don't remember loving you...

"I Don't Remember Loving You"- John Conlee

Sorry again for not being able to post a link...

Errrr scratch everything in orange!! I see that Hoss beat me too it!! By 5 minutes....Sooo I pick...

"Two Dollars in the Jukebox" - Eddie Rabbit.... Now back to my :popcorn: And y'alls conversation :-P