Question

anyone know how old Cooter was? i know i sound stupid asking, but i was wondering because i always thought that he was kind of the same ages with Bo Luke and daisy but then i read something about him havin a daughter so i was just wonering

if y'all could help that'd be great

I think he was like 10 years older than Bo. So in season six when his daughter Nancy Lou comes to town he would be about 34

I've always assumed that Cooter was Luke's age or, more than likely, older. His daughter (Nancylou Nelson from Alabama) was 16 on season 6 but the problem is that they don't tell us how old Cooter was when she was born. He was pretty young though. IF he was 17 when she was born that means that Cooter was 34 on season 6 (or 29 when the series began). That would make him a lot older than Bo and even a few years older than Luke....or maybe not since there was an indication that Luke might have been older than a lot of people think. (But that's a whole other story. If you're interested I'll be more specific later.)

The problem is that a lot of speculation is involved (like me speculating that Cooter was 17) and there are inconsistencies that keep us from knowing for sure. There is at least one other thread that deals with this issue but it might take time to find it.

Roger it's told in the episode with Cooter's daughter that she's 18 she couldn't come to look for him until she was a legal adult of 18. When she runs out of the Boar's Nest and he goes after her the Dukes all follow them out and he says he married her Mama in high school but her parents made them get it annulled and then they moved to Alabama. So we don't really know what age he was when she was born just highschool which coulda been any age from 16-18 depending on what the legal marrying age without a parent's consent was back then. I'm pretty sure that it's at least hinted at strongly that he and Luke are the same age.

Roger it's told in the episode with Cooter's daughter that she's 18 she couldn't come to look for him until she was a legal adult of 18. When she runs out of the Boar's Nest and he goes after her the Dukes all follow them out and he says he married her Mama in high school but her parents made them get it annulled and then they moved to Alabama. So we don't really know what age he was when she was born just highschool which coulda been any age from 16-18 depending on what the legal marrying age without a parent's consent was back then. I'm pretty sure that it's at least hinted at strongly that he and Luke are the same age.

Wow and I think I used that he was 16 when Nancy was born. Any way I believe in Happy Birthday General Lee it says the year before the show started Bo had just graduated high school and Luke was just getting out of the marines. I took that to mean that Bo was 18 or 19 when the show started and Luke had to be about four years older than that. I think I heard that some where and that Daisy was between the two.

B.L., Thanks for correcting me after incorrectly saying she was 16. I do remember her saying she was 18 now that you mention it.

There does appear to be an inconsistency with Luke coming out of the Marines after 4 years. Since the show doesn't mention that he was in 4 years I'm wondering if it was longer. He was a Sergeant in the Marines in VietNam. America officially pulled out in 1975 which means that he probably enlisted in 1972 or 73 to attain that rank.....or even earlier since 1975 was past the peak of heavy American combat involvement.

I'm sure the real problem with these (and many other) inconsistencies is that the writers just weren't paying attention or that there were too many writers who weren't on the same page.

You're right Garrett. I usually try to ignore the inconsistencies. I also try to ignore the bloopers but, of course, they do pop up on occasion though.

The nice thing is that the Dukes of Hazzard is the best form of entertainment ever invented so it makes it easy to only focus on the positive stuff.

Wow and I think I used that he was 16 when Nancy was born. Any way I believe in Happy Birthday General Lee it says the year before the show started Bo had just graduated high school and Luke was just getting out of the marines. I took that to mean that Bo was 18 or 19 when the show started and Luke had to be about four years older than that. I think I heard that some where and that Daisy was between the two.

I always pegged "Happy Birthday General Lee" as having taken place in 1976. The episode aired in '84 and they say that they had had the General for 8 years. Infact, i believe if you look at the General's license plate it has '76 on it.

B.L., Thanks for correcting me after incorrectly saying she was 16. I do remember her saying she was 18 now that you mention it.

There does appear to be an inconsistency with Luke coming out of the Marines after 4 years. Since the show doesn't mention that he was in 4 years I'm wondering if it was longer. He was a Sergeant in the Marines in VietNam. America officially pulled out in 1975 which means that he probably enlisted in 1972 or 73 to attain that rank.....or even earlier since 1975 was past the peak of heavy American combat involvement.

I'm sure the real problem with these (and many other) inconsistencies is that the writers just weren't paying attention or that there were too many writers who weren't on the same page.

The Dukes is full of inconsistencies. LOL

I'm not all that sure Luke was in the Marines for only 4 years. Like Roger says, he was a Sergeant so I think he'd have been in a little longer that 4 years. For myself I have it that he enlisted (or perhaps was even drafted) in 1969 or 1970.

As such, and to throw in my two cents on Cooter's age, if Nancy Lou was born in 1965 (Cooter's Girl aired in December of '83) and if Cooter was "just a kid at the time" say....16 or 17, then he would've been born around 1949/1950. (Making him near 30 when the show started in 1979). Luke, if 18 in 1969, would've been born in 1951. So he and Cooter are approximately the same age.

If Bo was 18 in 1976 he would've been born in 1958.

Then we got Daisy in between there somewhere. LOL. I put her to have been born 1955/1956, which would've made her about 20 at the time the got the General in '76.

Again, this is all just my own explanation of the ages and what I use when writing my fics and stuff. LOL

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest SleepysRose

You are correct Roger. He NEVER wore an Atlanta Falcons hat in any of the episodes. So hope that helps verify you are correct.

If anybody knows which episode Cooter wore a black Atlanta Falcons hat on, please let me know.

If I'm wrong and he never wore one, maybe someone could let me know if it was Bo or Luke who wore a hat like that. I'm pretty sure it was Cooter.

• 12 years later...
On 3/22/2010 at 7:57 PM, RogerDuke said:

If anybody knows which episode Cooter wore a black Atlanta Falcons hat on, please let me know.

If I'm wrong and he never wore one, maybe someone could let me know if it was Bo or Luke who wore a hat like that. I'm pretty sure it was Cooter.

Cousin Roger Duke... I think yer thinking 'bout the deep dark navy blue Atlanta Braves hat in the first Reunion movie 1997.