This Is How You Do It

"Oh haha...you're such a funny guy...you remember when I taught her? You and me was takin' turns swinging down, and Auntie was busy, so Daisy came out to see us... must not have been too long after she came t' the farm..."

****flashback****

"Look out below!" shouted eight-year-old Luke as he took hold of the rope, Tarzan-style, and swung off of the loft, loving the feeling of the air against his face.

Little 4-year-old Bo giggled as he watched Luke do it, clapping his hands joyfully.

"Me go! Me go!" He shrieked, his blonde curls bouncing as he bounced excitedly.

Now when he said 'Me go' it wasn't as much as me have a go as it was you help me have a go. He'd had it explained to him that he couldn't swing on his own yet countless times, so instead, Luke would pick him up and Bo would cling to Luke tightly while they swang.

Bo grinned widly and hurried over to him, near jumping up at Luke to get into his arms. His aunt had deeply instilled in him already how much he could help someone by giving them a hug...it was something the little 4 year old took very seriously. Besides that, he also liked getting hugs in return so it was something he readily gave, more when he wanted one than when the other person did.

Luke couldn't help smiling as Bo pounced into his arms, his soft, unruly golden curls bobbing as he did. Luke hugged the little boy tight as he stood. "You hang on tight now Bo...I don't wanna lose ya," said Luke grabbing the rope and situating himself so that Bo was snugly secure in his arms. "You ready?"

Bo clung to Luke as Luke moved around like a baby monkey clinging to its mom. He trusted Luke unconditionally and would usually do near anything the older boy told him to.

Grinning he nodded enthusiastically as Luke asked if he was ready, bouncing a little in excitement as he waited for Luke to make the jump that would send them sailing through the air together.

"Yeah yeah yeah! Go go go!"

Bo yelled happily with him as they swung through the air, the wind whipping through his blonde curls as he kept a white knuckled grip on his older cousin. He laughed happily and would have clapped with glee if he wasn't holding on so tight. As much as he was looking forward to the day he would be big enough to do this himself, a large part of the little 4 year old wanted for Luke to do this with him always.

When at last the swinging motion slowed enough to jump off, Luke didn't. Instead he climbed down, hand over hand, with little Bo still clinging to him. It wasn't that he couldn't jump off with Bo. He was sure that he could. It was more the fact that there was a greater chance that something could happen, and while Luke was a risk-taker when it came to himself, he was more careful about his cousins...especially Bo.

Luke slid off the rope too, spotting Daisy standing quietly near the doors watching them. Hushing Bo, he smiled at her and said, "Hey, Daisy...you wanna have a go?"

Despite the close brotherly love that Luke had for Bo, he felt a special kinship with Daisy. The loss of her folks was still new to her and though she seemed to jump back with the happy spirit that characterized her, Luke knew that she was still trying to adjust with all the changes; he knew because only two years ago he himself had been going through the same thing. This commonality made Luke instinctively try to make her feel at ease, and the inward vow of protection he had taken over Bo, now included Daisy as well.

(cue BL)

Bo toddled over to a hay bale and pulled himself onto it, settling down to watch Daisy and Luke have a turn on the rope. Swinging his little legs a bit, he felt a little disappointed that he was being left out but he wouldn't say anything. He knew the importance of sharing and taking turns...it was just hard when someone wanted to share his time with Luke.

She followed Luke up the ladder to where the rope hung in the loft. Stepping over to it she took a tight hold on it, waiting for Luke. When Luke's arm was securely around her holding onto the rope she pushed off with her feet swinging out and over Bo with a delighted giggle calling "hey Bo" she would have waved to the youngest cousin had she and Luke not been swinging out on the rope.

Bo grinned as he watched them both, gripping his toes gently as he wriggled them in his shoes. However, like most 4 year olds he soon lost interest and found a new interest in one of the chickens that made its way across the barn floor, picking at grains of feed. Clapping his hands, he slid off the hay bale and followed it.

Bo meanwhile was off happily following the chicken on its trail across the farmyard. He'd always been interested in the strange birds, liking the way they scattered as he ran through their little group. However sometimes he just liked to watch them and giggle at how they ate their food off the ground and how they waddled around.