Weird Tastes in Music for a DOH fan?

goodolboy85

Is it weird for a DOH fan (myself) to be a really huge fan of rock/metal music? I mean don't get me wrong I really like country too but my love of rock music overpowers country music. I'm not a stereotypical person, and I hate stereotypes personally but I always kinda thought most DOH fans are country music fans as well.

That's not weird at all. I think you'll find that a lot of DOH fans have very ecletic tastes in music, ranging from country music to rock to just about anything and everything in between.

I also think you'll find that most, if not all, DOH fans like country music but are probably not necessarily strictly country music fans. Some are very big country fans and some are just casual fans.

I'm a classic country fan (60s through mid 80s) but I've been known to be caught listening to stuff that is completely different.

Has anybody ever heard of Sade? (Smooth Operator) Her voice is amazing. She never did very many CDs but what she lacks in quantity she makes up in quality. It's kind of a soft-pop-jazz sound. It definitely ain't country but I love it.

How about Carl Orff? He does the type of music you'd hear on a movie like Conan the Barbarian (although I don't think he actually did that movie)

So you see goodolboy85, us Hazzard rednecks can be a little weird too...in a good way...LOL

Hey!

Course it aint. I'm a casual fan of country music which got started on me through the Dukes but usually I'll listen to anything I like. If a song speaks to me and I enjoy listening to it for any reason then it goes on my itunes list and my ipod, simple as. I don't care what genre it is really.

For example, right now i'm really into songs done by Miley Cyrus/Hannah Montana and her dad Billy Ray Cyrus (Achy Breaky Heart) Which are a mix of country/hip hop/slight bit of rock. Laugh if you will but she has done some amazing songs, not as Hannah Montana. One I would reccomend is 'Butterfly Fly Away' which she sang with her dad which is just beautiful. Search it on youtube.

A while back though, I was getting into a Rock/Heavy Metal singer called Papa Roach who did this years WWE Raw theme tune. So yeah lol, I'm into a lot. I go through phases of trying new genres. Why stick to one when you can find something just as good in another department? ;)

Hey!

Course it aint. I'm a casual fan of country music which got started on me through the Dukes but usually I'll listen to anything I like. If a song speaks to me and I enjoy listening to it for any reason then it goes on my itunes list and my ipod, simple as. I don't care what genre it is really.

For example, right now i'm really into songs done by Miley Cyrus/Hannah Montana and her dad Billy Ray Cyrus (Achy Breaky Heart) Which are a mix of country/hip hop/slight bit of rock. Laugh if you will but she has done some amazing songs, not as Hannah Montana. One I would reccomend is 'Butterfly Fly Away' which she sang with her dad which is just beautiful. Search it on youtube.

A while back though, I was getting into a Rock/Heavy Metal singer called Papa Roach who did this years WWE Raw theme tune. So yeah lol, I'm into a lot. I go through phases of trying new genres. Why stick to one when you can find something just as good in another department? ;)

Thats funny you mention that, I'm a big fan of WWE myself! How about you? And I can go from listening to Alan Jackson and then listen to Pantera or Slipknot. Thats how far my musical tastes reach.

I have loads of favourite wrestlers:

Shawn Micheals

Triple H

Undertaker

Rey Mysterio

John Cena

Randy Orten (though not when he's a heel, he's a right little t**t when he is lol)

Eddie Gurerro (RIP)

And the most awsome pairing of all time is D-Generation X with Shawn and Hunter. When they reunited in 2006 and played all those pranks on the McMahon's it was the funniest thing i've ever seen. I love Shawn the most, he's a legend.

speakin of Uncle Jesse liking yer music i wonder . . .

all i've ever listened to is country . . .nothing else

so my favs are like

Alan Jackson

Josh Turner

Tim McGraw

Martina McBride

and a bunch of other people/songs by people

but lately i have been really getting into Bluegrass/old country

could anybody see Uncle Jesse with a fiddle? or anybody else? i could

who could you see with a fiddle?

lol that's a good one

so my thoughts are this

Jesse-Fiddle/Madolin

Luke-Guitar or Banjo

Bo-Guitar or Bajo

(boys have the same thing cause i can't think which one would play which)

Daisy-sugar she'd be singin her heart out

(Okay so this is a little added part, but)

put that with

Jed Clampett-Guitar

Jethro Bodine-Fiddle/Banjo/mandolin (one of those three)

Granny- autoharp (she was always playing one)/or blowin on her jug :)

Elly May Clampett-singing with Elly

okay so for those of you who don't know the second part ignore, but for those of you who do and they're from Tennessee put them and the Dukes together and what do you get?

Halfway to Hazzard (some new country group) i thought of this joke the other day and i might draw pictures if anybody is interested

Oh.... I'm a Dukes fan, and I don't like very much country music :escape:

But....... I LOVE MORRISSEY (and the Smiths)!!!!!!

This might be dating myself. I saw The Smiths back in 1986 at Pier 84 in NYC. I had tickets to see them at Radio City Music Hall, but they called it quits and the shows were cancelled.

Back in the 80's , I loved punk, new wave, post punk - all that stuff. As I got older I "discovered" other types of music. Now I like most anything and appreciate all types of music, except some.

I'm gone

Darrell

• 2 years later...

Oh boy, I almost like all kind of music all over the world, there are few I really can't stand, because in almost every music section (is that the right word?) are at least 1 or 2 songs, that are good. I just can't stand german folk music and Free Jazz... That hurts my ears. But then again, I found out at the World Soccer Championship in 2010, that even in the folk music section are some songs that can be mere fun, if you listen to them at the right place and the right time, with the right people. XD I don't think that I would ever listen to the Flieger-Song (Such A Beautiful Day - WM Version) on any other occasion. XD

What I hear most of the time is Neue Deutsche Welle (New German Wave, pop/punk from the 80ties like Nena), German Punk music, Punk in general, if it doesn't hurt my ears and is somewhat melodic, Ska-Punk (I really do love the turkish Ska Folk Punk Band Athena and the Moldovian Ska Folk Punk Band Zdob si Zdub and the japanese Ska Punk Band Shaka Labbits), Irish Folk and other music that sounds similar, James Horner and Soundtracks in general, J-Music and Visual Kei (and there are really some strange bands, that I do like XD) and then what I hear on the radio and what I do like.

And then there are my favorite bands, it started with Nena in 1982, then it was Duran Duran, then A-HA, and it's the Beach Boys since 1989, after I did see them Live at the Lorelei. All other bands I consider my fav bands are my fav bands next to the Beach Boys. Like the Ramones, The Beatles, The Stones, The Clash, The Smiths or my fav japanese bands Merry, MUCC, Shaka Labbits, Gargoyle and the Sex Machine Guns.

Pretty much ain't it? A girl I know from the biggest german youth board, were I do work as a moderator once said to me that she can't focus on so many music styles, therefore she only has one fav band and really does only hear this one band, which is Tokio Hotel. I would go insane if I would be forced to hear just one band all the time. I would't even do that with my alltime fav and especially not with a band like Tokio Hotel. I guess I would jump out of the window, even though Bill Kaulitz sings: "Don't jump"...

What I hear most of the time is Neue Deutsche Welle (New German Wave, pop/punk from the 80ties like Nena) ...

What a strange coincidence. I watched an episode of 'Family Guy' earlier tonight ('Road to Germany') that made a passing reference to Nena's '99 Luftballons'. I am also a fan of 80s music but, like you, listen to a wide range of musical genres. There's very few that I don't like at least one or two songs from.

Nena was one of only a few artists that had a UK hit with a song in German (she also released the song in English as '99 Red Balloons'). The only other German language song I can remember from that era is 'Rock Me Amadeus' by Falco (I know he was Austrian, but he sang in German). I'm also old enough to remember Nicole winning the Eurovision Song Contest back in '82. I think she gave her final performance in at least three languages.

The only modern German group I listen to is Rammstein - I think 'Du Hast' is my favorite song.

Nena was one of only a few artists that had a UK hit with a song in German (she also released the song in English as '99 Red Balloons'). The only other German language song I can remember from that era is 'Rock Me Amadeus' by Falco (I know he was Austrian, but he sang in German). I'm also old enough to remember Nicole winning the Eurovision Song Contest back in '82. I think she gave her final performance in at least three languages.

The only modern German group I listen to is Rammstein - I think 'Du Hast' is my favorite song.

Oh, yeah, I remember that Nena even had a number one or two (not exactly sure) hit in the US with 99 Red Balloons. That song was from her first album. 99 Red Balloons is one of my alltime favs. She once did a collaboration with the orchestra of the Hessische Rundfunk (Broadcaststation of Hessia) at a Rock meets Classic show. That version was the best I’ve ever heard, but I only saw it on TV once and never did find it again. ;.;

Do you know Leuchtturm (Lighttower) and Fragezeichen (Questionmark) or Wunder geschehen (Wonders do happen – she wrote that for her ill child, which died in 1989)? These are really good songs of her too.

Btw. She’s 51 now and she looks hot like hell. Way better than in the 80ties. Such a fascinating woman and that body after giving birth to 5 children…

There are some really good new (not really new, but newer) german bands like Wir sind Helden (We are Heros). They do very nice, somewhat critical songs. IMHO the saddest and best song of them is Ein Elefant für Dich (An Elephant for you).

I know Rammstein, but I do only listen to some songs or the ones used in the AMVS done for some anime clips. These AMVS are the best I have ever seen in my whole life. Ö-Ö

If you want to check it:

Do you know Leuchtturm (Lighttower) and Fragezeichen (Questionmark) or Wunder geschehen (Wonders do happen – she wrote that for her ill child, which died in 1989)? These are really good songs of her too.

I've just listened to Leuchtturm on YouTube, but I've never heard it before. I think '99 Luftballon' was the only hit she had in the UK.

Btw. She’s 51 now and she looks hot like hell. Way better than in the 80ties.

I didn't believe you at first, but then I saw the 2009 version of 99 Luftballon on YouTube and have to agree. She even sings some of it in French now.

There are some really good new (not really new, but newer) german bands like Wir sind Helden (We are Heros). They do very nice, somewhat critical songs. IMHO the saddest and best song of them is Ein Elefant für Dich (An Elephant for you).

I've not heard of Wir sind Helden, but I did remember some more German songs I have, mainly from the 70s/80s. I'd forgotten some because some/all the words are in English.

From 1969:

. He was born in Germany, but left in 1938. This is the original, although Hot Butter's 1972 cover is better known.

From 1978:

(English lyrics version of
). I see Rammstein have also covered it.

From 1982:

(roughly translated: I don't love you, you don't love me). Check out the weird early 80s video.

From 1985: Propaganda - Frozen Faces. They mainly sang in English after moving to the UK and signing to the same record label as Frankie Goes to Hollywood (ZTT), but did throw in the odd line of German like "Ich fuerchte keine Einsamkeit" in this song. Their Jewel/Duel remix,

, was used by the BBC for rally coverage in the 80s (see video). Their album 'A Secret Wish' was jointly the first that I bought on CD all those years ago, and I still love them now (warum schmerzt es wenn mein Herz den Schlag verpasst?/why does it hurt when my heart misses the beat?).

I also remembered that I have the German version of Monty Python's Lumberjack song (Das Holzfäller-Lied). It came on the B-side of Always Look on the Bright Side of Life. I found

on YouTube - the subtitles appear to be the original English lyrics rather than an exact translation of the German.

I didn't believe you at first, but then I saw the 2009 version of 99 Luftballon on YouTube and have to agree. She even sings some of it in French now.

Yepp and she is still very active with writing songs and stuff and she worked together with Uwe Fahrenkrog-petersen again, that was one of the guys who mainly wrote her first album. He was the blonde Keyboarder.

From 1969:
. He was born in Germany, but left in 1938. This is the original, although Hot Butter's 1972 cover is better known.

Wow, this really sounds great. I'm not that much into disco music, so I never really liked the 72 version. But this is very good.

From 1982:
(roughly translated: I don't love you, you don't love me). Check out the weird early 80s video.

Haha, I'm not able to watch the video due to restrictions Youtube did. But I know the video. I love the song, even so it's stupid as hell. But it's also very funny. Trio had other songs, that were even more dumb then Da Da Da... there was "Anna - Lass mich rein, lass mich raus" (let me in, let me out) and a song from the 90ties from Remmler solo which is called "Alles hat ein Ende nur die Wurscht hat zwei" (Everything has and end, only the sausage has two). XD

I also remembered that I have the German version of Monty Python's Lumberjack song (Das Holzfäller-Lied). It came on the B-side of Always Look on the Bright Side of Life. I found
on YouTube - the subtitles appear to be the original English lyrics rather than an exact translation of the German.

Wow, but respect to (is that Palin?) that he sings that very understandable. I guess it's not easy to sing a song in another language. If I try to sing english songs, I have problems to keep the lyrics in my mind and if I try to sing japanese, well, that sounds pretty odd to japanese, I guess. XD

Do you know the german In My Room version of the Beach Boys? That's what happens, if someone can't speak a language and tries to write in german, because the Beatles did that as well. "In meinem Raum" isn't only pronounced very bad, but Brian Wilson also didn't use the correct german grammar. But heck, I do love them... ^o^

Here's a song from Wir sind Helden:

It's written for an ill child, that can't walk anymore and the mother says, she will carry it everywhere it wants to go, even though it already got too heavy for her arms. The mother gets big as an elephant and carries the child miles over the land (here is life meant), and at the end of the way, she will even carry her child over the river to another land... *sniff*

But I totally forgot to mention Ton, Steine, Scherben (Clay, Stones, Shards). This was a very important band in the 70ties and 80ties, because they were some of the first that did write critically and political songs.

König von Deutschland - King of Germany is the best known of the bandleader Rio Reiser. He tells, what he would do, if he would be the King of Germany and what he would change and stuff. It's a funny song, but is has a political message.

Ton, Steine, Scherben - Keine Macht für Niemand (No Authority for Nobody):

Rio Reiser - König von Deutschland:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On15CmMMMxk

Trio had other songs, that were even more dumb then Da Da Da... there was "Anna - Lass mich rein, lass mich raus" (let me in, let me out) and a song from the 90ties from Remmler solo which is called "Alles hat ein Ende nur die Wurscht hat zwei" (Everything has and end, only the sausage has two). XD

I've just listened to "Alles hat ein Ende nur die Wurscht hat zwei" - I liked that one. I think Trio's only UK hit was Da Da Da - maybe it's the only one with English lyrics.

I guess it's not easy to sing a song in another language. If I try to sing english songs, I have problems to keep the lyrics in my mind ...

Have you seen

from a Bulgarian talent show. The girl (Valentina Hasan) learned the Mariah Carey song 'Without You' without knowing any English. She thought the song was called 'Ken Lee' (Can't Live).

We hear stories over here that David Hasselhoff's music is popular in Germany - is this true?.