Cale Yarborough

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 11 months later...
Okay, so I'm a few days early but Cale is the greatest driver in history so I thought we'd need time to plan a party for him.

Hey Roger...I do like Cale and think it is great that Cale was on the Dukes...but really? The greatest driver in history? I think I would have to disagree with you on the greatest...what about Jeff Gordon? Jeff has more wins that Cale. HOw about Johnson? Or what about the King who has two hundred wins...the most of all time?! Or what about Darrell Waltrip?

Think Cale is great, but the greatest?

Though I do agree on the party...party at Roger's house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let me see who I can invite...all of Hnet. Cale. His crew. Richard...Darrell. I really hope Roger has a HUGE house and A LOT of food to feed all of us! :rofl:

Hey Roger...I do like Cale and think it is great that Cale was on the Dukes...but really? The greatest driver in history? I think I would have to disagree with you on the greatest...what about Jeff Gordon? Jeff has more wins that Cale. HOw about Johnson? Or what about the King who has two hundred wins...the most of all time?! Or what about Darrell Waltrip?

Think Cale is great, but the greatest?

I agree that Cale was a great driver, and I'm sorry to disappoint both of you, but unless you're only talking about the greatest NASCAR driver of all time, none of these drivers even make the top 10!

Try looking up some of the following drivers (in no particular order):

Juan Manuel Fangio

Michael Schumacher

Ayrton Senna

John Surtees

Stirling Moss

Mario Andretti

Mike Hailwood

Sébastien Loeb

Jim Clark

AJ Foyt

Jackie Stewart

Dale Earnhardt Sr

I agree that Cale was a great driver, and I'm sorry to disappoint both of you, but unless you're only talking about the greatest NASCAR driver of all time, none of these drivers even make the top 10!

Try looking up some of the following drivers (in no particular order):

Juan Manuel Fangio

Michael Schumacher

Ayrton Senna

John Surtees

Stirling Moss

Mario Andretti

Mike Hailwood

Sébastien Loeb

Jim Clark

AJ Foyt

Jackie Stewart

Dale Earnhardt Sr

Dale Earnhardt Sr was good but Jeff Gordon still has more wins than he has...granted Earnhardt Sr and Petty both have more championships than Jeff (both with seven. Gordon has four.) But if it wasn't for this "new" point system that NASCAR set in place in 2004, Gordon would at least have six championships if not more. So with the change, you can't really compare championships any more...

A lot of those names sound familiar, but if it is outside of NASCAR, I know littlel about 'em. Sorry to disappoint you Hoss.

A lot of those names sound familiar, but if it is outside of NASCAR, I know littlel about 'em. Sorry to disappoint you Hoss.

You don't disappoint me, but if you don't know who most of these people are, how can you even begin to name the greatest driver in history? Michael Schumacher only retired last year, but some of these drivers go back to the 1950s.

Juan Manuel Fangio - The first driver to win five F1 championships. Fangio dominated the first decade of F1. Fangio's championships came for four different teams, a feat that never has been matched.

Michael Schumacher - The only driver to win seven F1 championships. He is the only driver to win five consecutive F1 championships. Over that period, Schumacher won a staggering 48 of 85 events.

Ayrton Senna - Three championships over a four-year span and 41 F1 victories in 161 starts. F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone called Senna, "The greatest driver I've ever seen."

John Surtees - The only man to win world championships on two wheels and four.

Stirling Moss - His success in a variety of categories placed him among the world's elite — he is often called "the greatest driver never to win the World Championship"

Mario Andretti - The only driver to win an F1 title, the Indy 500 and the Daytona 500, and last American to win an F1 championship.

Mike Hailwood - Considered to be the 'best motorcycle racer ever' by experts the world over. He won ten World Championships. He then turned to motor racing and went on to win the Formula Two European Championship for the Surtees team, then moved into Formula One. He was awarded The George Medal, Britain's highest award for civilian bravery, for his heroic rescue of Clay Regazzoni who was trapped and unconcious in his burning car after crashing in the 1973 South African F1 Grand Prix.

Sébastien Loeb - He is the most successful driver in WRC (World Rally Championship) history, having won the world championship a record nine times in a row.

Jim Clark - At the time of his death, Clark had won more races (25) and more poles (33) than any driver in F1 history. Clark won the Indy 500 in 1965, becoming the only man to win the F1 championship and Indy in the same season.

AJ Foyt - The first four-time winner of the Indy 500 and the most Indy car victories in history with 67. Raced in Indy car until the age of 60. His final Cup race came in the inaugural Brickyard 400 at age 61.

Jackie Stewart - One of only eight drivers to win three F1 championships. Stewart helped revolutionize safety standards at F1 tracks and was one of the first to use safety belts and full-face helmets.

Dale Earnhardt Sr - One of only two drivers (along with Richard Petty) to win seven Cup championships. He was considered the greatest restrictor-plate racer of his era.

Well Hoss...I was only speaking NASCAR since that was what Cale raced in. Wish I had time to follow all sorts of racing, but I don't...as I said, a lot of those names I knew and even some of 'em I knew what they looked like and would be able to recognize them.

But really? Dale Sr is the only NASCAR driver you think deserves to be on your list?

I am not saying Jeff Gordon is the greatest...OK so I did, but my opinion is slightly biased on that point, but do have to point out what I pointed out earlier. Dale and Richard may have seven championships but that was on the old point system and before the chase...as was Gordon's four championships. Under the old championship system, Gordon would have at least six championships right now if not seven or what not. Gordon too is pretty good on restrictor plate races...well not as of late, but in general he is. Also use to be known as the king of road races.

And that is just Gordon.

Who else has won five championships in a row? JJ is the only one in NASCAR to do such a thing. Shouldn't that be recognized in your list of greats?

Or what about Darrell Waltrip winning his championship in my birth year...now come on that has got to be on your list of greatest achieviements. :rofl:

Or what about Dale JR being recognized as the most popular driver for nine years in a row? Where does that fall in your list?

Or who else does a backflip off their drivers window after a win as Carl Edwards does before he goes INTO the grandstands to celebrate with the fans?

Or who else climbs the fence after a win as Tony Stewart use to do? ( By the way looked up to AJ Foyt and now holds his number on his car.)

And for Roger's sake...who else attacks another driver with their helmet on the first televised race as Cale had done?

So my knowledge may be stuck in NASCAR, but there are other GREAT NASCAR drivers than just one...

And you call yourself a Ricky Stenhouse Jr fan...you didn't even mention him on your list. :roll:

See Roger...what you gone and done...you went and started a NASCAR fight. This better be some party you are planning at YOUR house. :D (BTW did you mean March 27th as his birthday...you said January. If that is right you are a couple of months late...either way am looking forward to trashing your house with this huge party you are throwing! :D )

But really? Dale Sr is the only NASCAR driver you think deserves to be on your list?

If I made the list bigger I would probably include NASCAR drivers like Richard Petty, Darrell Waltrip and Jeff Gordon, but I don't think they'd make my top 10.

Who else has won five championships in a row? JJ is the only one in NASCAR to do such a thing. Shouldn't that be recognized in your list of greats?

It's impressive, but he doesn't even make ESPN's top 25.

Or what about Darrell Waltrip winning his championship in my birth year...now come on that has got to be on your list of greatest achieviements.

Acknowledged above - made #20 in ESPN's top 25.

Or what about Dale JR being recognized as the most popular driver for nine years in a row? Where does that fall in your list?

Most popular driver has little to do with most talented.

Or who else does a backflip off their drivers window after a win as Carl Edwards does before he goes INTO the grandstands to celebrate with the fans?

Are we making a list of the greatest drivers or gymnasts?

Or who else climbs the fence after a win as Tony Stewart use to do?

A monkey? Do you really rate drivers by their climbing ability?

And for Roger's sake...who else attacks another driver with their helmet on the first televised race as Cale had done?

So now we're rating drivers on their fighting ability? Maybe I should include Wladimir Klitschko in my list of greatest drivers since he's the current heavyweight boxing champion (IBF, WBO & WBA (Super Champion)).

And you call yourself a Ricky Stenhouse Jr fan...you didn't even mention him on your list.

I said I'd follow him this year - calling me a fan may be a bit of an exaggeration. Also, I'm not going to name a driver who's only a few races into his rookie season in a list of all-time greats. Who knows, he may make it one day. He's currently 16 points and 6 places ahead of Jeff Gordon :).

Wow...I really didn't mean for all of this be going back and forth as to who is right and who is better and what not. I posted earlier today to give Roger a hard time. That was it. Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson, Dale Jr, Kasey Kahne may be my list of favorite drivers, but I am not blind. I may jokingly say they are the best, but I know they aren't on the all time best list or the all time favorite or what not.

Guess my list isn't "statistically" correct or match ESPN's list or any other list. Sorry...guess that is how I am.

So I give you credit, Hoss, to know your racing. My knowledge is in NASCAR and NASCAR alone...never before had I pretended otherwise. I wish I had time to follow all sorts of racing and broaden my knowledge, but I don't. So I stick with what I know. NASCAR.

As I said before, when I made my first post today, it was according to NASCAR. Not Indy, F1, or any other form of racing. I don't know enough to include them to any list. And only giving Roger a hard time...never thought all this would come of it.

So that is great that all those drivers make ESPN's list of all time greats...am sure they are great drivers, talented drivers.

As for my last post, I knew what I put didn't put them on the great list or ESPN's list or any other list. Just trying to put a list out there. And despite not making it into the top 25 in ESPN's list...five championships in a row is pretty darn impressive. Then again, that is my petty opinion.

So thank you Hoss on the racing lesson... ;)

I didn't expect it to go back and forth either, but it's been fun and I've learned a few things along the way. If you ever get a chance to see documentaries about any of these drivers they are well worth watching - they all have great stories to tell.

Incidentally, the ESPN list put Jeff Gordon at #10 (although one of the voters was Jeff Gordon ;)).

I didn't expect it to go back and forth either, but it's been fun and I've learned a few things along the way. If you ever get a chance to see documentaries about any of these drivers they are well worth watching - they all have great stories to tell.

Incidentally, the ESPN list put Jeff Gordon at #10 (although one of the voters was Jeff Gordon ;)).

Thanks for the smile Hoss with the Jeff Gordon being one of the voters...you say that as if it's bad thing. I do believe after being in the Sprint Cup Series for twenty years, he should have a say or two on who is on what list and what not.

Or is that just me? :D

You've learned a few things...like what? Nothing I put down is anything new or anything. Was just wonderin' is all...

I think I may have learned a few things myself... ;)

*SNORES*

You two are boring me with your arguing. Hang on a second, I'll be right back.

*double checks episode list*

Yep, Cale is on here twice and nobody else is.

Arguement settled.

Ah Roger you are too funny. But who was it the Dukes were talking about on "Repo Men" or did you forget? A mention has to be worth something to you, right? ;)

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...