New Year's Contest

RogerDuke

I have another one of my crazy ideas and I'd thought I'd get some input from my fellow Hazzardites.

I've never seen the show "The Biggest Loser" but since I've always been interested in human nature, I can understand the appeal to the people who participate in it. You seem to get much more motivated about something if there's some friendly pressure on you to succeed.

I was wondering if anybody would like to join me in a friendly contest to see who can keep a New Year's resolution. There's really nothing to win except pride and a chance to better yourself. Of course, your resolution doesn't have to be about losing weight, it could be about anything. And, it could even be something that is relatively easy to keep. If anybody is interested, we have a couple weeks to work out the details. If I get a response to this post, I'll post more of my ideas about those details soon.

Crazy idea, Roger? I have the slightest clue of what you are talking about! I think you come up with some good ideas that helps keep this board a live and active...along with the others on this board. :)

Your contest sounds interesting, Roger...and tempting. Maybe if I had some sort of motivation, perhaps I would actually keep my New Years Resolution longer than a week or so. ;)

I have another one of my crazy ideas and I'd thought I'd get some input from my fellow Hazzardites.

I've never seen the show "The Biggest Loser" but since I've always been interested in human nature, I can understand the appeal to the people who participate in it. You seem to get much more motivated about something if there's some friendly pressure on you to succeed.

I was wondering if anybody would like to join me in a friendly contest to see who can keep a New Year's resolution. There's really nothing to win except pride and a chance to better yourself. Of course, your resolution doesn't have to be about losing weight, it could be about anything. And, it could even be something that is relatively easy to keep. If anybody is interested, we have a couple weeks to work out the details. If I get a response to this post, I'll post more of my ideas about those details soon.

i would like to join i think it'd be fun

Sounds good.

Here's the ground rules. They are open discussion (for now) so I'd like to know who doesn't agree with what. My guess is that numbers 5 and 6 will be the only controversial ones.

1) It's the honor system. We're going to trust you to tell us if you break your resolution.

2) No prizes will be given. This is just for pride and us Hazzard folks have a lot of that.

3) The winner (or winners) will be whoever keeps their resolution. Or, whoever goes the longest before breaking it.

4) STRICT deadline to enter is 12:01 AM Jan 1, 2009 (EST)

5) You can only submit one resolution.

6) You do not have to reveal what it is but it won't be nearly as fun if you don't.

7) Be reasonable and honest. You know what your limitations are. Don't make it to easy or too hard for you to keep. Be somewhere in the middle.

8) If you go months without posting anything you are still eligible to win as long as you post an update in December 2009. You will be disqualified if you've lost interest (after all, we won't know if you broke your resolution or not)

9) Remember, this is a family site. No resolutions rated worse than PG-13.

10) Unless overruled by a moderator, I'll have the final say so in any controversy.

That's a great Idea,Roger. Although whats up with rule number 10?! Gosh, Uncle Jesse, you just plan for everything, don't you! Although, knowing how it is in Hazzard, I'm sure that everyone will pipe in if something is controversial :)

Okay, question... does anyone know what their resolution will be? I want to join in, but I'm not sure what to put down as a resolution... I've been told I have commitment issues. I'll be commited to whatever I pick for an entire year. Oh, boy! This is going to be difficult.

Okay, Roger, I'm going to start nitpicking now... if you think that Ground Rules number 5 and 6 will be controversial, but rule 10 states that you have the final say in anything that is controversial... what does that mean? Doesn't that mean that you will ultimately mean that you will decide. I have an idea, lets vote! Else we can just call you Boss Roger! (like BossHogg!) Khee! Okay, I best stop before I come off as rude.

Sorry, I just couldn't help picking on poor Roger, he's done it to me enough :)

General Grant

That's a great Idea,Roger. Although whats up with rule number 10?! Gosh, Uncle Jesse, you just plan for everything, don't you! Although, knowing how it is in Hazzard, I'm sure that everyone will pipe in if something is controversial :)

Okay, question... does anyone know what their resolution will be? I want to join in, but I'm not sure what to put down as a resolution... I've been told I have commitment issues. I'll be commited to whatever I pick for an entire year. Oh, boy! This is going to be difficult.

Okay, Roger, I'm going to start nitpicking now... if you think that Ground Rules number 5 and 6 will be controversial, but rule 10 states that you have the final say in anything that is controversial... what does that mean? Doesn't that mean that you will ultimately mean that you will decide. I have an idea, lets vote! Else we can just call you Boss Roger! (like BossHogg!) Khee! Okay, I best stop before I come off as rude.

Sorry, I just couldn't help picking on poor Roger, he's done it to me enough :)

General Grant

i think i know what mine is

• 2 weeks later...

Wow Roger...you really want to make this hard, don't you? LOL. Actually, it sounds like a good idea. The hard part for me is to narrow it down to one resolution to put down. HA HA. I have a lot to work on, I guess. ;)

Though I do have one question, so if I put down a resolution and I break that resolution within a couple of weeks, I am out of it completely? I don't get a second chance to try at it or what not?

Not that I plan on breaking any of my resolutions, but they do tend to break for me.

:( Hopefully if I write it down I will be more committed to pulling them through to work. Who knows, it may happen.

Sorry Garrett, I'm going to be real strict on this to avoid any controversy. Even if you break your resolution on Jan. 2 you're out. Like I said in rule number 7, don't make it too hard and you won't break it that soon.

Dixie, if you go look at rule number 6, you'll see that you don't have to reveal that resolution if it's personal. You DO have to tell us if (and when) you break it.

daisydukeXenosstrait, I'm sorry but your resolution isn't acceptable. It has to be something that is a commitment for an entire year and not just a month or it wouldn't be fair to everybody else. If you said you won't cut your hair all year, that would qualify. Sorry.

General Grant, everybody else can call me Roger but you have to call me Boss...LOL...gotcha!

Well then, I spose I have some serious thinking of something I can be committed to for a full year. I've heard it takes three weeks before something becomes a part of a routine, so if that has any truth to it, that means I only need to hang tough with it for three weeks before it becomes a routine for me. ;) LOL

Well to all who sign up and perticipate in this here friendly contest, I wish y'all the best of luck with it. :D

ya Roger i saw that one but i don't think i'll make it that personal that i'm not comfortable posting it here. but i do have a question. if i say my resolution is to learn to play the guitar, how do i know if i broke it. would it just be like if i haven't learned by the end of the year i broke it. cause that doesn't really seem fair. i was just wondering how i can make that work out with the rules.

Hello everyone, and hello Roger... I mean Boss! :)

Okay, Dixie_Nachelle01, I was reading about your resolution possibly be learning to play the guitar. Just a suggestion here, but maybe you could do something like "I'll play the guitar X number of days per week." Just a thought.

Anyways-Boss- would this qualify as a resolution...? I'm going to learn sign language and practice at least four times a week. But maybe I could do I'll get back into shape and will shoot for 5 repetitions of 100 pounds for both bench presses and squats. I'll have to decide which of the two I like better (or if they both qualify... Roger, that's your department!)

Otherwise I could say I'll keep a box of my favorite treats (orange sticks) in the house and won't have a single one for an entire year. That would be HARD! :) No, I'm just joking about the orange sticks one!

What are you going to pick, Roger? You'll come on Hazzard Net every day, watch a Dukes episode every day, or won't Drink egg nog for an entire year?!

Luckily, eggnog only comes out during the Holiday season!

I wish everyone luck in this friendly endeavor. I'm sure you all are going to do great!

General Grant

Well General Grant and Dixie, I don't want to dictate whether or not resolutions are acceptable so whatever you decide to resolve is fine with me. I only mentioned that to daisydukeXenosstrate because it wasn't a full year committment. Let your conscience be your guide. Remember, don't make it too tough or too easy.

I'm going to be real strict on this deadline so if you're not signed up by now you'd better hurry.

Again, you don't have to reveal to us what the resolution is but you do have to be honest with yourself and us if you break it.

So far, here's who is signed up....

Dixie_Nachelle01

General Grant

Garrett

daisydukexenosstrate

Roger

DaisyMae

Remember, the rules are posted on the previous page if you need a refresher course

Everybody has until midnight tonight (EST) to enter. If you don't put down what your resolution is by then, I'll just assume it's personal. I will ABSOLUTELY NOT accept resolutions after midnight. I'll be logging on after the ball drops in New York City to finalize the contest.

As far as my resolution goes, it involves specific WEEKLY goals I have with my personal finances. In other words, I have 52 chances to break my resolution. LOL

Come on DixieRoss, You can think of something!!! Don't make it so tough that you know you'll break it.

Everybody has until midnight tonight (EST) to enter. If you don't put down what your resolution is by then, I'll just assume it's personal. I will ABSOLUTELY NOT accept resolutions after midnight. I'll be logging on after the ball drops in New York City to finalize the contest.

As far as my resolution goes, it involves specific WEEKLY goals I have with my personal finances. In other words, I have 52 chances to break my resolution. LOL

Happy New Year!!!!

ive posted another one just a little bit ago that i hope is acceptable