Thanksgiving Traditions

Redneck girl 01

Howdy Howdy Y'all! Since it ain't Christmas yet (only 39 more days) and Thanksgiving is only 11 days away....I was wonderin what y'all do fer it? Do ya have any tradtitions? Any big meals with the whole family? or is it just another day?

My grandma on Thanksgiving Day has a family dinner that we all come fer and she has the traditional Turkey dinner, and Chicken n french fries fer me...but this year it is goin to be the Sunday before so my cousin n his wife who lives 2 hours away can be here since he won't be here fer Christmas Eve. And then usually a few day after Thanksgiving me and my parents have a meal fer us at our house...but that is bout it...Its fun...but I can't wait till Christmas!

Yeah we do the big family dinner thing at the 'Strate' house too. This year we have a new twist. Grandma isn't making the turkey, my aunt is. Everyone else is bringing other fixings to go with the turkey and the ham, (yes we have both). The family is pretty big and keeps on growing. This year I think we're over 30 people. God help me if I ever get married because at least one third or more of the guest will be my family and that's just from my dad's side alone.

Normally we eat then after the meal, the men folk go into the den to watch the game and the women folk clean up, then play board games with the kids or any guys that don't want to watch the game. It's also the way that new comers to the family tree are introduced to the clan, and on occasion friends or special guests are invited to join. Yes, holiday dinner always reminds me of the classic Norman Rockwell paintings.

On Christmas, we have a similar type party a few days before Christmas because it's easier for everyone to take off of work on a day that's like a few days before the holiday than the actually holiday. One twist we do though with that party is we have a different theme every year of something funny to do. One year it was ugly sweaters, last year was crazy hats, this year I'm not sure of. Crazy underwear? Not sure if I want to see that! LOL. But yes we have alot of fun.

Thanks for the topic Redneck girl 01!

Great topic, Redneck girl! I've always said that Thanksgiving doesn't get enough attention.

Our family celebration is pretty low-key. (Especially considering the fact that I've had to work every holiday for the last twelve years!) We have the usual turkey and fixings - with Hawaiian Pie, the best part of the meal. My middle sister and I usually watch the Macy's parade, if I can stay up that long after working all night, and after supper, both of my sisters and I go to K-mart and Wal-mart. (We hate the crowds that are out that Friday, but love to pick up some little decoration for the house or the yard to start things out right!) That night, I go to work and decorate both security offices for Christmas. The guys I work with have pretty much resigned themselves to the fact that they will be recruited to help me.:)

The Friday or Saturday before Thanksgiving, however, I always have a party with my "disfunctional family." Two of my closest friends, their kids, and our significant others - if we have any at the time - get together to have our own Thanksgiving dinner. (We do the same thing a little before Christmas.) )The difference is, we usually don't have traditional food. Last year we had Mexican, and this year we're doing chili and cornbread. Afterwards, we play games or just sit around and talk while the kids watch holiday dvds. It's usually a pretty good party, all in all -especially since we have at least five kids running around ranging in age from seven or eight to seventeen. (Not having any children of my own, it gives me a chance to spoil someoneelse's.:D

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy Howdy Y'all! Well today I officially started my Thanksgiving break from school...but instead of gittin out at 12 like normal we had a snow day!! WOO HOO SNOW!!! *signs* Im dreamin of a white Thanksgiving...just like the one we had last year...lol...Sunday was my grannies meal...it was fun only bout 10 made it though...the munchkins were so cute...I swear they ran a couple miles as much runnin round as they did...It was fun and I can't wait till Christmas!! Well more less to wrap presents! lol...anyways...Thanksgiving is TOMORROW!!! Everyones Turkey's stuffed and pies baked?

I dunno how I fergot to mention the Macy's THanksgiving day parade..I always watch that every Thanksgiving, though I wish they would just show the parade, skip the commercials and the news people talkin...I would just like to see the parade...I heard that Trace adkins and Darrius Rucker is gonna be in it...I think it was Darrius Rucker.

Val:

The family is pretty big and keeps on growing. This year I think we're over 30 people. God help me if I ever get married because at least one third or more of the guest will be my family and that's just from my dad's side alone.

Hey the more the merrier...I hope ya have a big house though! lol...30 people wow...I think we on average have 18...and 5 of em is lil kids 7 n under well 6 if ya include me but I ain't 7...but I run round like the lil kids...lol.

Normally we eat then after the meal, the men folk go into the den to watch the game and the women folk clean up, then play board games with the kids or any guys that don't want to watch the game. It's also the way that new comers to the family tree are introduced to the clan, and on occasion friends or special guests are invited to join. Yes, holiday dinner always reminds me of the classic Norman Rockwell paintings.

That sounds really nice...just simple and happy...fun times together...Board games are attempted to be played but after bout 10 minutes(if that) the munchkins lose interest and start runnin or playin hide n go seek.

One twist we do though with that party is we have a different theme every year of something funny to do. One year it was ugly sweaters, last year was crazy hats, this year I'm not sure of. Crazy underwear? Not sure if I want to see that! LOL. But yes we have alot of fun.

My granny has hers on Christmas eve cause everyone is home from work and ready fer the next day...hmm Im gonna have to start a CHristmas Traditions threwad once Thanksgiving is over. Hey the theme thang sounds like a lot of fun...hmmm crazy underwear would be funny but how crazy would the people git? thats the question cause ya probably dont wanna see that...lol.

Denver:

Great topic, Redneck girl! I've always said that Thanksgiving doesn't get enough attention.

Thanks...n yea I agree... it really ain't even mentioned no more...I know in school they would always tell us somethang new bout it or we would learn more but heck it wasn't even mentioned this year...No one mentions it on tv hardly...hardly any stores round here had anythang fer it and what they did was 50% off a week before it...Heck they put Christmas stuff out fore we're done carvin pumpkins...even before that...anyways I was hopin more people would post but I guess not.

Our family celebration is pretty low-key. (Especially considering the fact that I've had to work every holiday for the last twelve years!) We have the usual turkey and fixings - with Hawaiian Pie, the best part of the meal. My middle sister and I usually watch the Macy's parade, if I can stay up that long after working all night, and after supper, both of my sisters and I go to K-mart and Wal-mart. (We hate the crowds that are out that Friday, but love to pick up some little decoration for the house or the yard to start things out right!) That night, I go to work and decorate both security offices for Christmas. The guys I work with have pretty much resigned themselves to the fact that they will be recruited to help me.

That sounds like my daddy fer the past 6 years or so every holoday he is on call and every holiday he gits called to work...heck the one time I hadda wait till 8 at night to open presents cause he had to plow snow where he worked jhe came home bout 10 minutes and then had to leave again...oppps that was Christmas...not Thanksgiving...hmm Hawaiian Pie?? Whats that? I haven't heard of it...aanyways no shoppin on black friday? If I can convince my parents I hope to go...lol...decoratin is so much fun...lol....now do the guys like decoratin or do they just know they pertty much have to do it?

The Friday or Saturday before Thanksgiving, however, I always have a party with my "disfunctional family." Two of my closest friends, their kids, and our significant others - if we have any at the time - get together to have our own Thanksgiving dinner. (We do the same thing a little before Christmas.) )The difference is, we usually don't have traditional food. Last year we had Mexican, and this year we're doing chili and cornbread. Afterwards, we play games or just sit around and talk while the kids watch holiday dvds. It's usually a pretty good party, all in all -especially since we have at least five kids running around ranging in age from seven or eight to seventeen. (Not having any children of my own, it gives me a chance to spoil someoneelse's.

That sounds like fun, and again it is simple yet fun...hmmm MExican...what kind of food y'all gonna have this year?

Well I made that post long enough...now Im gonna git off here and go play my Dukes game, and write a reminder to git doritos fer THanksgiving Dinner...lol...

Howdy Howdy Y'all! Well today I officially started my Thanksgiving break from school...but instead of gittin out at 12 like normal we had a snow day!! WOO HOO SNOW!!! *signs* Im dreamin of a white Thanksgiving...just like the one we had last year...lol...Sunday was my grannies meal...it was fun only bout 10 made it though...the munchkins were so cute...I swear they ran a couple miles as much runnin round as they did...It was fun and I can't wait till Christmas!! Well more less to wrap presents! lol...anyways...Thanksgiving is TOMORROW!!! Everyones Turkey's stuffed and pies baked?

I dunno how I fergot to mention the Macy's THanksgiving day parade..I always watch that every Thanksgiving, though I wish they would just show the parade, skip the commercials and the news people talkin...I would just like to see the parade...I heard that Trace adkins and Darrius Rucker is gonna be in it...I think it was Darrius Rucker.

Val:

Hey the more the merrier...I hope ya have a big house though! lol...30 people wow...I think we on average have 18...and 5 of em is lil kids 7 n under well 6 if ya include me but I ain't 7...but I run round like the lil kids...lol.

That sounds really nice...just simple and happy...fun times together...Board games are attempted to be played but after bout 10 minutes(if that) the munchkins lose interest and start runnin or playin hide n go seek.

My granny has hers on Christmas eve cause everyone is home from work and ready fer the next day...hmm Im gonna have to start a CHristmas Traditions threwad once Thanksgiving is over. Hey the theme thang sounds like a lot of fun...hmmm crazy underwear would be funny but how crazy would the people git? thats the question cause ya probably dont wanna see that...lol.

Denver:

Thanks...n yea I agree... it really ain't even mentioned no more...I know in school they would always tell us somethang new bout it or we would learn more but heck it wasn't even mentioned this year...No one mentions it on tv hardly...hardly any stores round here had anythang fer it and what they did was 50% off a week before it...Heck they put Christmas stuff out fore we're done carvin pumpkins...even before that...anyways I was hopin more people would post but I guess not.

That sounds like my daddy fer the past 6 years or so every holoday he is on call and every holiday he gits called to work...heck the one time I hadda wait till 8 at night to open presents cause he had to plow snow where he worked jhe came home bout 10 minutes and then had to leave again...oppps that was Christmas...not Thanksgiving...hmm Hawaiian Pie?? Whats that? I haven't heard of it...aanyways no shoppin on black friday? If I can convince my parents I hope to go...lol...decoratin is so much fun...lol....now do the guys like decoratin or do they just know they pertty much have to do it?

That sounds like fun, and again it is simple yet fun...hmmm MExican...what kind of food y'all gonna have this year?

Well I made that post long enough...now Im gonna git off here and go play my Dukes game, and write a reminder to git doritos fer THanksgiving Dinner...lol...

i love the Thanksgiving parade and yeah it is Darius Rucker and im goin to my dads girl friends house for thanksgiving (HELP ME!!!) lol anyway i dont know what shes got planned.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

Hawaiian pie is something that my momma got from my Aunt Doris - I don't know where she got the recipe. It has graham cracker crumbs, bananas, crushed pineapple, eagle brand milk, lemon juice, dream whip, pecans, and cherries. If I can find my copy of the recipe, I will post it on here. Everyone we have ever served it to has loved it.

This year, we had chili with a bunch of different toppings for our party. Like I said, it isn't much, but it's a nice break in the stress of the holidays. I'm not sure what we're doing for Christmas. We will be figuring that out some time this week.

I missed the parade this year. (Stupid twelve hour shifts!:mad: )I really wanted to see it - especially since Darius Rucker is from South Carolina.

I had to quit reading about the food. It was making me hungry, again. Our thanksgiving tradition is quite simple really. Get up incredibly early and sit in a treestand for at least four hours. IF your lucky, you'll see something. I wasn't lucky. I spooked a doe on my way to the stand so I had to turn around and head back to the truck. I ended up sitting on a fold out chair and hunting the dirt road.

After that though, we get together with my husbands family and do the usual face stuffing and talk about the ones we didn't see and the ones that got away.

Christmas is done with my family and that can get a bit overwhelming for my husband. My family is much closer than his and we have some weird traditions. We always sit and watch "A Christmas Story." We pretty much know that one by heart but we all sit and watch it anyway. Then we head down to the local trailer park and drive through at about five miles per hour and ooh and ahh at the Christmas lights. I know what you're all thinking. Trailer park? Yep, they do such a good job that a mob of people come out every year and the cops have to handle traffic. Then we go back to the house for snacks and coffee and then hit the hay. Christmas morning starts off with my younger sister reading about the birth of Jesus and then we open gifts. The major fun part comes from watching my little neice open her gifts.