Rural Hazzard landmarks for our Ranch ??

coronet440

Hi Everyone,

We've got about 600 acres in the Blue Mountains of Eastern Oregon and I'm gathering up some "Hazzard Landmarks" to disperse around the property for fun.... and it's easier to give friends/family directions around the place using landmarks as a guide. Instead of, "remember where you were when we saw that huge elk" it would be handy to say, "you know, by the moonshine still"

So far we've got our converted bus as the "Boars Nest". My friend has a vinyl cutting machine and I've made a design from scratch we're going to print out to put on it;

bus_albee_1.jpg

Here's the decal we're going to make to put on it;

boarsnest-smaller.jpg

Next we have a mock moonshine still, I whipped this up last weekend. The copper coil is actually an old underground phone cable painted with copper paint, a junk 55 gal oil barrel and the smaller barrel is a drum out of an old wash machine. Not accurate in anyway but good enough for it's purpose;

still-1.jpg

We have an old belt operated wood saw like the one pictured below I'd like to put somewhere on the property (I stole the picture below searching on Google Images), ours looks like just this one but rusty. Was there reference to some type of saw mill around Hazzard? It's been awhile since I watched all the DVD's and at the time I didn't have any thoughts on this venture. I could paint the name on the saw blade, like "Hogg Lumber and Saw Mill" or something.

old-saw.jpg

And that's as far as I am so far. We've got about 5 decent canyons/draws full of Douglas Fur trees on the property with high ridges in between, a county road runs through the middle of the property, a 40 acre meadow, lots of dirt roads/trails and a couple small water holes.

Does anyone have any particular rural Hazzard landmarks that would be well suited for any of this? Large buildings, city landmarks are out. These landmarks would just be stuff found in the boonies of Hazzard County, like moonshine stills and the like.

Thanks for any input.

Jordan

Welcome to the Hazzardnet coronet440. I like your idea of naming stuff on your property after Hazzard County landmarks. You've come to the right place. I have a complete notebook of anything ever listed on the entire series. It is broken down into the following catagories....

A) people

B) businesses

C) roads

D) landmarks

E) water

F) other counties

G) family, history etc.

I noticed you were looking for canyon names. Here are all the canyons that were mentioned in the 7 years of the series. I have also included Hollows, Valleys, Gullies and Gulches since they might be considered to be small canyons. If you need to know what episode any of these were on, just ask. I have all that listed too. After you get this list, I'd be happy to help with other stuff too. We'll just do one type of item at a time and have everything on your property named in a few days. (This project sounds fun....LOL)

(I put several spaces between these to seperate them but when I sent them, the computer removed the spaces)

Black Hollow Possum's Hollow

Watkin's Hollow Cedar Valley

Bronson Canyon Pine Hollow

Stilson Canyon Twin Oak Hollow

Skunk Hollow Oak Valley

Benedict Canyon Choctaw Gulley

Benson's Gulch Seminole Canyon

Bear's Hollow Wild Hollow

Hickory Canyon Grover's Gulch

Jensen's Hollow Stump Hollow

Morgan's Hollow Box Canyon

Stone Canyon Rainbow Canyon

Dead End Canyon Rimfire Gulley

Cotton Hollow Cottonwood Gulley

Tomkin's Hollow Choctaw Hollow

Well, I think I messed this one up. After I reread your post, I realized you're not looking to name things after Hazzard landmarks, you're looking to create real physical landmarks........Woops.......am I embarressed. I guess I got carried away there. That happens to me a lot when I'm on the Hazzardnet....I just love the Dukes so much.

Anyway, I can still help (get it, still...as in stillsight?)

I'll get you a list of physical objects that might apply in your case. In the meantime, if you're looking to name anything on your ranch after Hazzard stuff, just ask. Once again, welcome to the Hazzardnet!!!!

Thats cool

did you do up inside the bus at all ?

Yeah, nothing fancy but it's got a complete interior, couch, dining set, sinks, gas stove, bathroom and bedroom. We've since removed the fridge/little closet, carpet and installed a small wood stove because it's going to have permanent resident as a ranch cabin since it never got much use as a motorhome.

bus_interior.jpg

That is cool...I hope ya keep us updated on how its comin along...I dunno if this would be one or not but you could make an outhouse...like the one Bo(I think) blew up...It's been a while since I watched it. :(

We do have a fully functional outhouse... well, as functional as an outhouse gets. ;) It's viewable from the forest service road so painting a target on it might not be the best idea, chances are it would actually get shot up by idiots.

Well, I think I messed this one up. After I reread your post, I realized you're not looking to name things after Hazzard landmarks, you're looking to create real physical landmarks........Woops.......am I embarressed. I guess I got carried away there. That happens to me a lot when I'm on the Hazzardnet....I just love the Dukes so much.

Anyway, I can still help (get it, still...as in stillsight?)

I'll get you a list of physical objects that might apply in your case. In the meantime, if you're looking to name anything on your ranch after Hazzard stuff, just ask. Once again, welcome to the Hazzardnet!!!!

Nope, not a mess up at all. You're right on all accounts, I'm looking to name the draws/roads/water holes/etc as well as make physical landmarkers.

I was thinking a mine shaft entrance would be pretty simple to mock up, any reference to Hazzard mining company or mine shaft? Were there any saw mills in Hazzard?

Thanks very much for your help, it's much appreciated.

Jordan

Hi Jordan, did any of those canyons look good for names?

Here are mine related items:

Kitteridge Mine

Old Copper Mine

Old Silver Mine (on Pine Ridge Road)

Rainbow Mine (near Dukes Farm)

Dawson's Digs Mine

Hogg Mining Company

Bottomless Lake Mining Company

You also asked about sawmills. "The Sound of Music-Hazzard Style" from season 4 featured the Old Hazzard Sawmill on Sawmill Road and "The Legacy" from season 3 features the "J.D. Hogg Logging and Sawmill" that is located near the Duke Farm.

Yes, lots of good names for the draws I think. I'll have to get an aerial map of the place and start putting down names.

Thanks for the mining and sawmill names. For the mine I think it's a toss-up between Hogg Mining Co and Kitteridge Mine. I'm going to drive the draws this week and eye ball a good spot to build a mine entrance. We've got a drift fence that needs taken down, lots of old wood posts to scavenge and use for the project, will make it look very old and abandoned.

Old Hazzard Sawmill would suite the saw blade I think. Possibly put it on an adjacent road and use the Old Sawmill Road and a name too.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got some pictures taken of the Still's final location, a nice hidden spot in one of the draws;

still-2.jpg

It's already come in handy during this hunting season as a reference point.

We've come up with a few names over the last couple weeks for some different locations;

Skull Canyon. Someone had stuck an elk skull about 10' high in a tree in a small draw so that seems fitting. I'll put more there as I come across them, probably end up looking like some kind of blare witch thing but it will be easy to reference.

Cow Ridge. We seem to have a knack of filling our cow elk tags on one of the ridges on the place.

Thief Ridge or Thief Canyon (not sure about this, but something along those lines, any ideas?). Sometime in the last 6 months some wonderful folks decided to steal about 150 steel fence posts that were set into the ground. The new fence goes along the back of our property that borders Forest Service Land, from the bottom of a draw then up over a ridge. They stole about a 1/2 mile of our new posts. There wasn't any wire hung on them yet, we were planning that for this spring. What sucks the most is they were all air-drilled into the solid rock ground. About a week solid worth of labor just for that stretch.

I've eye-balled a spot for the "Hogg Mining Company" mine shaft entrance and a location for the "Old Hazzard Sawmill". Might be a while before those get setup.

Thanks!

Jordan

Great job on that still Jordan. It really looks like a scene from rural Hazzard County!

Sorry to hear about your fenceposts. Did you report it to Rosco? On second thought, have Bo and Luke help you out. Boss probably hired some low-lifes to steal them and gave Rosco 50% of 50% to look the other way.

Thanks!

Well, we went above Rosco and reported it to the State Police. After we cooled down a bit I did kid myself along the same lines, had a good chuckle but thinking about running that darn air drill for another week brings back the anger, oh well it could of been worse.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

I've also got the "Hazzard Sawmill" set in place, don't have a sign for it yet. I'll get pictures posted later, thought I had some on this PC but I don't.

We found an old Separator on the place to use as a landmark, were there any named dairy farms around Hazzard? So far the name we like best is "Daisy's Creamery" lol.

Jordan

Nice to hear from you coronet440. Your place is looking good. I'll check my records but I'm quite certain that, of all the farms mentioned on the show, none of them was specifically a dairy farm. Most of the farms in Hazzard are like the Duke farm. They are family farms that don't really specialize in one particular type of animal or crop. Of course there are a few exceptions but I'm sure there were no dairy farms. I'll double check though.

I love what you're doing to your place by making it a model of Hazzard County. Keep up the good work and keep us posted. It was good to hear from you again.

We have a bunch of old buried cable marking signs, they are metal and the sign itself is around 8x10 mounted on steel posts. I think I'll paint them a base color, probably white, then paint on the letters so they will weather well.

For the sawmill I might just paint the logo right on the counter-weight wheel and save the sign for a different location.

Jordan

Jordan, your replica of Hazzard County is one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Keep up the good work. This is fun to watch.

I checked my records and, of all the farms and farmers mentioned in the seven years of the show, none of them were specifically labeled dairy farms.

As I mentioned earlier, the "J.D. Hogg Logging and Sawmill" was on "The Legacy" from season 3.

That's the episode with my all-time favorite quote. It's from Jesse's old flame Lucinda Meadows.

"Well, I put myself in the hands of the Lord and He put me in the hands of the Dukes and I guess maybe you couldn't get a better combination than that."

Jordan, your replica of Hazzard County is one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Keep up the good work. This is fun to watch.

I checked my records and, of all the farms and farmers mentioned in the seven years of the show, none of them were specifically labeled dairy farms.

As I mentioned earlier, the "J.D. Hogg Logging and Sawmill" was on "The Legacy" from season 3.

That's the episode with my all-time favorite quote. It's from Jesse's old flame Lucinda Meadows.

"Well, I put myself in the hands of the Lord and He put me in the hands of the Dukes and I guess maybe you couldn't get a better combination than that."

Thanks! This whole plan came up just because we needed things to reference locations on the property, so when someone was with us, or needed to tell someone where to go or where we'd be we could quickly reference something, i.e. I'll be working over near the moonshine still or we saw the elk above the sawmill.

That's funny about that episode, it's also one of my favorite episodes. My favorites were always the ones dealing with moonshine running, not sure why. Course, that is what the whole series was based from, the movie "Moonrunners" which I love.

We should also be getting an old fire hydrant or two, our city is replacing a bunch of it's water line and my Dad asked if he could have one or two of the old ones they are tossing in the junk. I'm not sure what we'll do with them, I know Rosco always moved them around to write tickets but I'm not sure how to make a specific landmark from one. Maybe set it up somewhere, put up a "No Parking" sign and just reference it for what it really is, a fire hydrant.

Jordan

• 7 months later...

Made some more progress this month. Spent some time making some signs and setting them up while camping over the last couple weekends on our place. I need to go back through the list of Hazzard landmarks and see what else to put around the place.

So far from Hazzard we have "The Boars Nest", "Hazzard Sawmill" and a Moonshine Still. I don't think any moonshine stills had a name in Hazzard, I think referenced as like "Still Site 1" etc, so I just named it plainly as "The Moonshine Still".

Other locations I made signs for that aren't Hazzard related per-say;

"The Hole in the Rock" thats what my son aptly named it. It's just a big rock the phone or power company drilled a hole in many years ago, I assume for an anchor or something.

"Daisy's Creamery" We had an old seperator so I stuck it up on a ridge. Since there were no dairy's in Hazzard that I know of, we made our own and gave it a fitting Hazzard theme name.

"Skull Canyon" As I mentioned earlier in the thread. There was a skull up on a tree in a small draw that a logger had placed. I've added a couple more skulls since to add to the decor.

"Thief Ridge" The location of where all our steel fence posts were stolen, also mentioned earlier in this thread. May not be a Hazzard location but fitting considering all the hijinks on most every episode.

Pictures to follow....