Amazing Story

RogerDuke

Since I know there's a few Confederate War historians here on the Hazzardnet I thought I'd share this story that I ran across in the Erie (PA) Times-News earlier this week.

Most of us look at the Civil War as ancient history, but this story made me realize it's not that ancient after all.

When I saw the obituary of Maudie White Hopkins and it was sub-titled "Was Widow of Confederate soldier" I thought for sure that it was a misprint. I was wrong.

The story is out of Little Rock, Arkansas. Mrs. Hopkins died a few days ago at the age of 93. When she was young she began taking care of William Cantrell. He offered to give her his land and home if she would marry him and take care of him. They married when she was 19 and he was 86. Incredible!!

I know what you mean Daisy. We should all take time to listen to the stories that elderly people have to tell (hear that Daisy?....you better start listening to me better) Seriousely, they deserve our respect and sometimes their stories are nothing short of amazing. I wish I would have taken time to listen to my grandad's old war stories. I'd give anything if he was still alive to tell me one now.