We've All Got To Grow Up Sometime

runningwild

Bo shook his head with a small smile, he sure never imagined his life would turn out the way he wanted it to. He had a great wife who understood his need to be doing the job he loved, a son who understood just as much and both who travalled with him on occasion or travelled to see him when Bo just couldn't make it home. Things were turning out okay for him...and he couldn't help but feel guilty that they were...why life and fate had chosen to let Bo have his life and not Luke was beyond his understanding.

"No...guess not.."

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soon enough, Luke arrived home. He carried Abi into her room, laying her gently on the bed. Taking off her little boots, he carefully covered her and just stood there stroking her hair. She was a miracle-that's what she was. The doctors had told him not to expect the baby to live, but she had been born with Sara's zest for life and Luke's stubborness and had surpassed their expectations.

Of course the warnings from the doctors still consumed his thoughts. She had been born so early, with so many problems. It was bound to effect her in some way...

But thus far, she was fine- a healthy, beautiful six-year-old... and Luke silently vowed to do everything in his power to keep her that way.

"Well I guess come on then," she sighed, "We better get going. I know you want to get back to see your family."

Cassie took a few steps then questioned why she was even going. In the back of her mind, she couldn't stop thinking about how happy she was for both boys. Bo had his own little family, and Luke had the most beautiful little girl. For her own sake, she tried not to think about Luke's wife.

Maybe a little walking, talking, or just plain silence would do her good.

Bo walked quietly with Cassie, not really knowing what to say to her, his mind more on his family and what could be happeneing in the very near future. His racing career kept him away from home a lot, and he had to admit each time he left TJ was getting harder and harder, and with the possibility of another little Duke coming along, he was even more reluctant to leave. The thing was, Luke needed the money to help support him on the farm and Sammy and TJ needed the money he earned too...unless he could find a job that payed as well as the NASCAR circuit locally, there was very little hope of him being able to give it up to stay at home.

The walk reminded Cassie of the life she always dreamed of in Hazzard. Despite how lost she may have been for a while, her heart still lied here. She had always assumed that she would venture back to Hazzard, which she did, then call her hometown her home again. However, because she had made poor choices, then her dreams in life had moved elsewhere.

"Bo, what's having a family like?" She spoke softly and seriously, then she left she didn't speak.

After the long pause, she decided to elaborate, "I always thought I'd be just like you. I'd be here in Hazzard with a kid or two.. cooking and cleaning.." Cassie sighed, "I guess I can't complain though.. I've got a wonderful job, and the money is great. I'm a fashion designer.. what more could I ask for?" Shaking her head, she spoke once more, "I just thought I'd be here.."

Where Bo took her soft rant was up to him.

Bo sighed softly and shook his head, gazing out across the land he called his hometown in every interview, every conversation....even though really it didn't feel so much like home anymore.

"To be honest Cass, I dont know....I'm not here most of the time, I'm off touring with NASCAR winning the races and earning the money to pay for that family life while I leave the family behind...I mean dont get me wrong, Sammy and TJ understand and TJ loves that he's got a famous dad and all the other kids round here dont...but I wish I could be there more.."

Cassie understood and felt horrible for Bo. "That does sound rough. I couldn't imagine getting the family I've always wanted and then not having it all the time." Sighing, she kept walking and used her hands to wipe her face. The habit wasn't unusual for her if she was frustrated, and in truth, she was frustrated with how things turned out for her.

"I keep waiting for the day that Daisy sweeps Enos away from LA, then I'll have no one." The idea of that happening scared her, but was what she wanted to happen eventually.

"Are you ever able to take a break from racing? Just call in sick? I mean I know you need the money, but could you ever do that?"

Bo chuckled and shook his head.

"No...I have to actually be sick and be able to prove it before they let me miss a race...or if I want leave for a holiday I have to make sure there are no major races, i've got enough gap over rivals in the points table before I apply and even then they can turn me down...I dont really got any say in what time I have off..."

"That's too bad," she grinned.

Cassie just continued to walk beside Bo quietly. The chuckling had subsided and nothing but silence was shared between for some time. Outside, the weather was nice, but then again, there were few rainy days in Hazzard.

"One last thing.."

She paused.

"What's the right thing for me to say to Luke to ease his nerves? I need the magic words because I still care deeply for that man, and I can't stand to see him suffer like this," she looked over at Bo. "I know I don't have that kind of magic with him anymore, but Bo there's got to be something I can do. I know you said that I just had to be gentle and be normal, and I am, but.." She stopped talking and looked away from him, "Once you go where we've gone, then you can't just turn your back on each other when the other one's hurting. The attraction, the lust, the love may fade, but that kind of heartbreak doesn't. And it breaks my heart to watch him hurt."

Bo closed his eyes as Cassie brought up the subject he wished she wouldn't once more. He was actually starting to regret ever mentioning it to her now.

"Cassie there ain't no magic words to say t;him, there ain't no magic words to suddenly make all his hurt disappear. Dont you think that if there were I would have said them or Sammy would have said them to him by now? You can't ease his nerves, you can't just quickly smooth everything over and that isn't what he needs right now anyway. He doesn't want to talk, he does that when he's ready. You think its any eaisier for me to see him like he is? I live with him 24/7 Cassie, it kills me to go on with my family life and have Luke just sit back and wish it was him doing it too...it kills me to think that Abi aint really gotten to know her real dad because there is always the pain and sadness in his eyes whenever he looks at her."

Bo shook his head and said quietly.

"One day...she came to me an' Sammy when Luke was asleep not that long ago...and asked us why her Daddy was always sad...why his eyes seemed to cry even though no tears fall...why when he smiles its not like other Daddy's smiles...she'll never ask him because even she understands that there's a subject with Luke she just cant go to. Why can't you understand that Cassie? Abi has that love, that attraction with Luke and she can understand there are some things that have to be let go of for him to work out..why cant you just listen to what i'm telling you and understand that?"

Suddenly, Cassie came to an abrupt halt, as she shook her head. "Because I want to try until I'm blue in the face. I want to snap him out of it. I don't want to just give up because I'm suppose to keep quiet for him to never work out that sadness. He'll take that to his grave. I want him to hurt, and I want him to hit the bottom because then I am willing to pick him up brush him off and let him get the most out of life."

She sighed loudly, "I'm sorry that I keep trying. I'll stay quiet, if that's what you want Bo. I won't even speak to him. I think he'll like that too."

Continuing to shake her head, she turned, "Abi will only continue to suffer, as long as Luke continues to suffer. I would rather I break him now, while I've got the chance, then leave knowing that things will never change." Cassie look Bo straight in the eye, "You might be mad as hell at me right now, but I don't care Bo. I don't care.." Her voice broke at the end.

"When Enos is gone, I want to have a reason to come back here.. "

At that moment, Bo didn't think it would be possible to be any madder. He couldn't believe what he was hearing....he couldn't believe either that it was actually Cassie saying those words when she was claiming to be sooo concerned about him. Shaking his head, he raised his voice and said sarcastically.

"Oh well that's just great ain't it!! Sorrryy! I didn't understand that! It must have completly slipped my mind that as long as your okay, as long as YOU have something to come back to its completly alright to send Luke on a downward spiral for what has to be like the 5th time in his life!"

Shaking his head in disgust, he yelled again.

"How the hell could you be so selfish Cassie?! You want to break his already broken spirit yet again just to make yourself feel better?! What the hell are you hoping is gonna happen, that he's gonna turn around and fall in love with you all over again? That he's actually gonna thank you for sending him crashing down to a place he's already visited more times in his life than anyone should ever have to?! You dont know what the bottom is Cassie, you havent ever experienced that and neither have I...Luke could set up his own little villiage there and call it home the amount of times he's been forced back down there but he hasn't. Slowly he is clawing his way back up and we're there to help him, not to push him back down again! Life has already kicked him in the teeth, why do you want to as well...oh so I can get a few brownie points and in Luke's misery hope to re kindle something that has long been DEAD! He got married Cassie, he's moved on...we've all grown up so stop living in your airy fairy world and join us would you?! Stop thinking that everything is magically gonna be better because it aint. You dont know Luke anymore, you dont know what he needs because you ran off to do whatever it is you had to do. I will never, as long as I live, let you take Luke that far down again."

He finished the speech, the last sentence in a growl before using his long legs to stalk away from her.

"I just meant that I didn't want to lose him you Jackass," Cassie yelled. "You don't think I don't know that I messed things up? I don't want Luke back.. I wouldn't want him to take me back if he wanted to." She took a long breath, "If you get a chance, tell him.. tell him that I wanted to fight for him."

Turning, she started walking back towards town; however, that wasn't before she called out to Bo one last time. "Because by God, I wouldn't be afraid to say something like that too him."

Never in her life had she felt so angry, so betrayed, so hurt. If she felt like it would fix things, she would swear up a storm. All she wanted to do was really sit down just somewhere and just sit. Bo Duke had no idea what she had meant no did he care. He was still bitter and she couldn't blame him. Her good intentions could never exist, not in Hazzard.

Cassie had let Bo get far enough away, before she sat down on the edge of the road. She sat in the dirt and all. The past five minutes just hadn't been fair to her at all, but what else could she have said. Nothing she said to Bo seemed to make any sense to him and all he could get was angry at her. Maybe he hadn't understood what she really meant by what she said. There was no maybe to it the stubborn jackass hadn't understood and didn't want to. Yet, she was suppose to understand him completely. She hated him for that because it is not the way she pictured their conversation going. A little more understanding would have done them well on both ends.

Running her hands in the loose dirt, she retrieved a small rock. Clenching it tightly in her hand, she then tossed it cross the road. Regardless of the skirt she was wearing, Cassie pulled her knees to her chest. Luckily, her skirt was long enough to cover everything. Silently, she rested her face on his knees and hugged her calves. The emotion had overwhelmed her but she refused to cry. All she would allow was tears to swell in her eyes.

Bo continued the treck back to the farm, finally reaching it but instead of going inside he went to the barn and pulled on the boxing gloves. He didn't bother trying to lace one up once he pulled it on, he just started hammering blows on the punching bag....he took out all his frustrations of the day on it like Luke did so many times when they were younger. Before he had never really understoof why it appealed to Luke so much but since all this had started happening, he had discovered how very soothing it could be.

As Bo continued to punch, the thuds on the bag got louder and louder, echoing around the barn as he started to punch so hard that his wrists - where they weren't laced up properly - started hurting,..he didn't stop though, he'd settled into a rhythm and that constant steady beat helped him to get back into a constant steady mindframe...something he needed to be able to support Luke and Sammy and TJ.