Replica LEE 1 up for sale .

TimDuke

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/07/general-lee-no-1-to-appear-in-aprils-dupont-registry/ Why do I call it replica you may ask? Because to me that's basically all it is. You can read my posts and a guy named Dons post on there. It explains why we feel this way. It's a replica with just a very small percentage of it being the actual remnants of the actual car.

You can add me to the list of fans who were disappointed to see this piece of Dukes of Hazzard history destroyed. No, not restored... destroyed. The condition it was in when found is what made it unique and historic. I personally believe it should've been kept as is. I may have different feelings if it LOOKED like a General to begin with and if the restoration was done well and kept a great deal of the original car, but that wasn't the case here.

• 1 year later...
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/07/general-lee-no-1-to-appear-in-aprils-dupont-registry/ Why do I call it replica you may ask? Because to me that's basically all it is. You can read my posts and a guy named Dons post on there. It explains why we feel this way. It's a replica with just a very small percentage of it being the actual remnants of the actual car.

This subject has me torn.I had chatted with one of the owners of Car #71 years back,and he had it stored at his place.I asked him to check the car out underneath and give me some details.He said that it was just destroyed and fixing it would be nearly impossible.At that point,I figured that nobody would be stupid enough to try to repair it.The amount of money that would have to be spent.I always prescribed to the theory of preservation and some improvement.Like,trying to make it look more like it did as Car 71,and not a GL again.Replacing the damaged rear panel,replace the trunk floor,fixing some suspension members,add seats and roll cage back in,treat the rust to kill it.Rebuild the engine and trans so it would run again.Alas,Travis Bell had to have other ideas.Replacing nearly everything and calling it restored.I would call it "repaired" or "Fixed" not restored.Wether the drivetrain is even original is a big question,regarding what I have heard of TB's honesty.I am glad its not in the junkyard anymore rotting away,but the changes TB did,are not reverseable.It will never be that original gold Charger,LEE1,or even car 71 ever again.

I just fear that this car is going to get itself in some kind of accident/crash,the way its being used so much,and all that cut-and-shut bodywork is going to come back and haunt the driver.If that ever happened,there would be no fixing LEE1 ever again.

History lost.