Holy General Lee! Batman At Dukesfest!

Very interesting guys...

If Atlanta has been pretending they aren't southern anymore, the only reason I can see Dukesfest being there is because it's so close to Conyers and it being Georgia. If it weren't close to Conyers, I would have to say something is wrong. If it weren't I'd have to compare it to having Dukesfest in Delaware... it wouldn't work... well maybe in Slower Lower Delaware (Southern Delaware), but I know it wouldn't work in the north.

Atlanta trying to pretend they aren't part of the south is just stupid (downplaying being part of the south, phhhtth)... it ranks up there with Delaware and Maryland pretending they have no southern links. (Hello!? Mason Dixon line? Idiotic Slavery all the way until the Civil War? Tobacco Plantations... yes Delaware had tobacco plantations)

I think being part of the south should be with Pride. This is just another example of the North screwing the South over with misconstruing what the Civil War was over (and I'll give you a hint, it wasn't Slavery or the rights of the African American, try States rights, and Economics... if it were over Slavery, do you think Delaware and Maryland would have stuck with the Union? West Virginia? Hell, Lee was against slavery to quote Lee... "I have to fight for my country, and my country is Virginia..." (At the time before the Civil War, people talked about their States as their Countries... don't ask, I don't 100% understand that one, but i tmigth have something to do with the orignally type of Government the US set up... also a Confederacy) and a lot of southerners didn't believe in it, why else would there have been the widespread Underground Railroad? Slaves were mostly owned by the wealthy plantation owners. Lincoln had no plans to free the slaves, however, I am glad it was done. I believe it was an inevitability, and even if the south had won, it would have probably been outlawed down there by the 1900's, WWI or WWII at the latest... the Confederacy was actually letting free african americans to sign up with their armies, but they never got to serve.) So my question is, how can Atlanta be turning it's back on it's heritage?

In this case, the only real reason, aside from being where John grew up (Notice, i didn't say where he was from), why Dukesfest would be in Atlanta, is because of Conyers... and Hazzard supposedly was located in in Georgia.

Also, there was one episode on the Dukes of Hazzard that did say the boys grew up cuttin' there teeth on those westerns... don't know the exact quote for sure, I'd have to look.

Okay, I'm getting off the Soap Box and returning it to Brian.

(and I believe that was the wording of what Lee said, may have gotten a word or two wrong in there)

I don't think that it's Atlanta not wanting to be apart of the south.

I think it just some people are afraid that someone might take it the wrong

way. People are so easy offend down days. It's not funny. With the bars and stars I see a a flag that helped make our great nation, someone else may see it as a hate symbol. I guess it's just your point of view on it.

LOL Y'all are nuts.

Yes, I agree people are too easily offended now a days. I believe if people cracked their history books while they are in school, they wouldn't, and I don't mean the history books that aren't correct either.

Maybe they should talk with some reinactors. It may do them some good.

If someone gets offended about seeing the confederate flag, they should also get offended at seeing the United States Flag. That was a KKK symbol before the rebel flag. The rebel flag didn't start getting used until the 1960's.

Again, I mention a point:

If the Civil War were about slavery, why did Delaware take a southern stance on everything except leaving the union? De had Slavery in the lower two counties (there's only three!) and had Jim Crowe Laws. Delaware limited the education of african americans for years by having one highschool for them in the whole state for years upon years (The school building which was used is still in operation today as a school; Howard High School of Technology), and only one college (Delaware State University).

I think it's mostly just a tiny few who are trouble makers. I have lots of African American friends, and they have no freakin' problem with the rebel flag. Shoot, I've sat down and talked with them about it! I tell them what my Yahoo! and Windows Live Messenger display pic's are, they laugh. They have no problem with it.

I believe the trouble makers in Atlanta need to go back to History Class! Be Re-educated with the correct facts. Open their blasted eyes!

Atlanta has a huge problem with the rebel flag. Years ago, the college basketball final rounds were to be played in Atlanta, but then there was the threat of boycott from offended parties. To make a long story short, the Georgia state flag was officially changed, to remove the portion that contained the rebel design.

So where does this put DukesFest in the Atlanta public eye?

Well, I happen to be a member of a tourist thang for Atlanta and I get their propaganda. Here's a quick list of upcoming Special Events for June 2008:

June

• AtlantaFest Christian Music, Six Flags Over Georgia
  • Atlanta Pride Festival & Parade
  • Classic Chastain Concert Series (through August)
  • Georgia Shakespeare (through August), Oglethorpe University
  • Georgia Special Olympics State Summer Games, Emory University
  • SunTrust Concerts in the Garden, Atlanta Botanical Garden

Hmm. Something's missing. Let's see...links for culture, links for...hoo boy, well that explains Elton John's pechant for the city...what else is there....

Ah, here we go. If you search by venue, being the Atlanta Motor Speedway, and then search by date range, there's a little paragraph. There's a link to the racetrack, that has no information, and a link to the DF site, that has no information. Except about Batman. Heh!

Atlanta has a huge problem with the rebel flag. Years ago, the college basketball final rounds were to be played in Atlanta, but then there was the threat of boycott from offended parties. To make a long story short, the Georgia state flag was officially changed, to remove the portion that contained the rebel design.

So where does this put DukesFest in the Atlanta public eye?

Well, I happen to be a member of a tourist thang for Atlanta and I get their propaganda. Here's a quick list of upcoming Special Events for June 2008:

June

• AtlantaFest Christian Music, Six Flags Over Georgia
  • Atlanta Pride Festival & Parade
  • Classic Chastain Concert Series (through August)
  • Georgia Shakespeare (through August), Oglethorpe University
  • Georgia Special Olympics State Summer Games, Emory University
  • SunTrust Concerts in the Garden, Atlanta Botanical Garden

Hmm. Something's missing. Let's see...links for culture, links for...hoo boy, well that explains Elton John's pechant for the city...what else is there....

Ah, here we go. If you search by venue, being the Atlanta Motor Speedway, and then search by date range, there's a little paragraph. There's a link to the racetrack, that has no information, and a link to the DF site, that has no information. Except about Batman. Heh!

And let's not forget the lovely scene in the 2005 DOH movie where the rebel flag shows up on the roof of the General Lee and gets a less than friendly reception from the residents of Atlanta.

So you might be right Brian about Atlanta's opinion of the rebel flag, and how the city overlooked Dukesfest in its tourist thing. When DF was in Nashville, it was advertised all over the place. Will that change as June approaches? Guess we'll have to wait and see.

And let's not forget the lovely scene in the 2005 DOH movie where the rebel flag shows up on the roof of the General Lee and gets a less than friendly reception from the residents of Atlanta.

So you might be right Brian about Atlanta's opinion of the rebel flag, and how the city overlooked Dukesfest in its tourist thing. When DF was in Nashville, it was advertised all over the place. Will that change as June approaches? Guess we'll have to wait and see.

I doubt we'll see much promotion at the local level. Atlanta is a great city, but I don't think DF fits in with the modern image they're trying to portray.

I doubt we'll see much promotion at the national level since CMT isn't backing it this year. ( last I checked.)

But there's a good three months before the gig, so there's time to get a media frenzy going. Or a nice box ad in the classifieds.

Very. Sometimes the cities and states can be soo greedy... worse than Boss Hogg!

Can you imagine how Atlanta will look crawling with General Lees before Dukesfest, when they are all arriving? They won't be able to avoid it! If I had a replica, I'd be verrry careful driving it down there. Ya don't know how folks will react (or how many ticket's you'll get)!

Meanwhile, in the Somethin' New department for DukesFest 2008... a musical act!

The band is called "State Line Mob." Southern rock hickabilly sound. The singer dude looks like he could pass for Tom Petty's illegitimate half-brother who's spent too much time in a darkened room with questionable smoking materials.

But I like this much, their MySpace page has a photo of a General Lee in the background. They sound awright, too. Reminds me a little bit of Steve Earl but like something else instead.

You can check 'em out at their MySpace page, but be warned: It'll probably give your computer a vapor-lock. I've got a fairly tough machine and it nearly knuckled under trying to load this damn page:

http://www.myspace.com/statelinemob

The shotgun is a nice touch, too.

Meanwhile, in the Somethin' New department for DukesFest 2008... a musical act!

The band is called "State Line Mob." Southern rock hickabilly sound. The singer dude looks like he could pass for Tom Petty's illegitimate half-brother who's spent too much time in a darkened room with questionable smoking materials.

But I like this much, their MySpace page has a photo of a General Lee in the background. They sound awright, too. Reminds me a little bit of Steve Earl but like something else instead.

You can check 'em out at their MySpace page, but be warned: It'll probably give your computer a vapor-lock. I've got a fairly tough machine and it nearly knuckled under trying to load this damn page:

http://www.myspace.com/statelinemob

The shotgun is a nice touch, too.

Just damn good....I love the Buford Pusser connection. In case anyone on here doesn't know The State Line Mob is the syndicate that controled the Miss./Tenn state line with gambling and other illegal activites in the 50's/60's. They were the ones that Sheriff Buford Pusser went after and were the ones who ambushed him and his wife killing her onm Aug 12, 1967..

I did a paper on Bufors Pusser back in college and am a huge collector of stuff from him.

They remind me more of Drive By Truckers and Little Big Town with some Bad Co. thrown in somewhat. Pretty good Southern Rock. Love their myspace with the General Lee....

I'm gone

Darrell

I like the edgy country-rock thang with State Line Mob. So that'll be fun.

News on DukesFest has been quiet enough that I've resorted to doing my own spying, instead of waiting for our underground network of highly classified informants to fill me in so I can take all the credit. Seriously though I've been bashing this Adam West gig for days, so I figured pointing out some good things is in order.

I haven't confirmed this next one. But if I can beleive the archery news I found this on, then it sounds like Randy Oitker will be doing marksmanship demonstrations at DukesFest. Randy's site itself does not confirm it as of yet, so don't anybody base your ticket purchase on it.

But he is worth watching. He's famous for the 4-arrows-at-a-time shot that nails 4 Lifesaver candies simutaneously. Man, don't try and steal this guy's tree stand next bowhunting season. Here's his site, and there's a link to the aforementioned skill shot:

http://www.randyoitker.com/index.html

I like the edgy country-rock thang with State Line Mob. So that'll be fun.

News on DukesFest has been quiet enough that I've resorted to doing my own spying, instead of waiting for our underground network of highly classified informants to fill me in so I can take all the credit. Seriously though I've been bashing this Adam West gig for days, so I figured pointing out some good things is in order.

I haven't confirmed this next one. But if I can beleive the archery news I found this on, then it sounds like Randy Oitker will be doing marksmanship demonstrations at DukesFest. Randy's site itself does not confirm it as of yet, so don't anybody base your ticket purchase on it.

But he is worth watching. He's famous for the 4-arrows-at-a-time shot that nails 4 Lifesaver candies simutaneously. Man, don't try and steal this guy's tree stand next bowhunting season. Here's his site, and there's a link to the aforementioned skill shot:

http://www.randyoitker.com/index.html

That archery guy was at 2007 Dukesfest. He tried to do a few really fancy shots that didnt quite work out. He was pretty good though.

That shot with four arrows through the four lifesavers was AMAZING! Then again, I'd be impressed if he hit just one. ROFL.

As I recall he did do the lifesavers trick... The one he did fine, but I think he failed to do the 4 at the same time. He blamed the weather on not being able to get it. It was a little stormy in Nashville, everyone got poured on, so he blamed the wind for messing up his trajectory. Still though, one arrow into one lifesaver was pretty cool.

I was just over at the Dukesfest website and aparently they are going to be announcing the name of another celebrity that will be there. The announcement is going to be on April 1st. Unless they are announcing the cast line up (which I doubt), I hope it's an April Fools joke, cause there is no sense in announcing all of these guest stars before the cast. Absolutely NONE!

I have no idea what's cookin' next, but to "hazzard" a guess maybe it's a bigger-name musical act. So far I've only come across news about the one band, the State Line Mob, and that's not gonna hold over the crowd for the whole weekend.

I gotta tell ya'll, I'm concerned about how this year's DF is going to do in attendance, with the economic mood folks are in, and with the lack CMT endorsement. Whatever the upcoming announcement, it needs to be strong enough to get the excitement level built up. If folks are excited enough, it won't matter what the gas costs to get there.

I know I'm spending too much time here when I'm answering my own posts. Ah well, I'm too lazy to update the homepage so this'll have to do in a pinch.

Looks like Byron Cherry was the most recent, big announcement for DukesFest. To his credit, Byron treats the fans very well and has a smile for everybody.

And lo and behold...looks like the Dukes cast appearance confirmations are finally getting communicated. How 'bout 'dat. Adam West is mentioned at the bottom of the list, which is more appropriate.

Looks like the musical acts are still getting organized, but I reckon it'll get sorted out in the upcoming couple of weeks. ( Thus far nothing else is confirming the State Line Mob, but nothing is disproving it, either.)

We'll update our homepage soon and help spread the hoopla. Now that we have a better understanding of what the hoopla is.

Then again, the current promoters of DF may not want or need HNet endorsement 'cause they got their own crew handling things. We should probably let the pros handle it. Since we're pretty lazy anyway. And how would they gauge the effectiveness of their own online promos, if we got involved and started throwing thousands of visitors their way? Who'd want that?

• 3 weeks later...

I have one final thought on this whole thing. After speaking with the web designer of Dukesfest. The cast were always confirmed even though the language said might at one point. He pointed out to me that if someone wasn't committed to come why would he even bother advertising them to begin with . He apologized for any kind of mix up there may have been.