Let it Snow...

DaisyMaeDuke

Ok I doubt very much that this would be found in Hazzard County Georgia, but right now, as I write we here in Michigan are in the 15th hour of a snowstorm, averaging about an inch an hour of snowfall.

To put it another way, my own "velvet ears" who is a cocker spaniel, gets buried when she steps off the deck and it's up past my knees.

Wonder how the General does i snow?!

i wish we were having snow. all we got was alot of rain and flooding here in ohio. we actually got a day off school because the roads were all flooded!! we did get a little snow but it wasn't much. it's supposed to snow tonight though so i guess we'll see how that goes.lol the whether men have been wrong before. hopefully their right this time .=) stay warm up there in michigan.

Well...here in Iowa, we got eight inches of snow this past weekend and it snowed continuously from Tuesday early afternoon to around three Wednesday afternoon to get a foot or more of snow! To top that all off, they are predicting more snow tonight and then again Saturday! When does it stop?! LOL. The only good thing out of this snow storm, is that, I got Wednesday off since they closed work due to the snow!

My dog is the same way, she is a corgi-bichon mix and isn't very tall, she has to bounce through the snow to get through it! It's funny to watch...she likes the snow, so at least someone is enjoying it!

Dixie_Nachelle01 - if I could, I'd bottle it all up and mail you all the snow we have. I'm tired of it and has been for a while now - it seems that we are averaging a snow storm once a week if not more! Though I'm not sure on that part.

Where's spring? Is it here yet? LOL. I am about ready to pack up all my things and head to Hazzard to just get away from all this snow! :)

Hey Y'all!

It sounds like one extreme to the other!

Up in Wisconsin, there is snow on the ground, but it is more the temperature that is hard! About a week ago it went from 40 F to -19F with a wind chill of -60! Brrr. That all happened in less than 12 hours! Brrr...

But, this year it seems like it will snow, warm up, rain, freeze, snow... it is just a vicious cycle!

Well, y'all bundle up, cuddle with your "Velvet Ears" sip some hot cocoa, and put in yet another show of the Dukes of Hazzard!

I know what y'all mean about havin' fun watching your animals in the snow. I have barn cats, and they are funny to watch in the snow, esspecially when it is as tall as they are. The smart cats don't go outside, but the entusiastic ones play in it!

Anyway, I hope that you get some snow, Dixie_Nachelle01! It is nice to see the snow, but spring is always a joy. Don't worry, Garrett Duke, I am sure the snow will all melt soon.

General Grant

I know what you mean, General Grant, about the weather fluxuating like that. We went through that cycle or one like it a week or two ago, it was like fifty on Monday and the next day it was below zero and like negative forty-eight with windsheild. BRRRR is right...hopefully you're right about spring being around the corner. I am looking forward to seeing some green instead of white. The snow is pretty, but cold!

The good thing about the snow is that it melts and fills our wells up. I used to complain about snow and rain but after seeing the droughts we've had up north here in recent summers and seeing what the poor folks are going through in Georgia (Atlanta could become a ghost town if things don't get better) I don't complain so much anymore. Now the cold, that's another story. BRRRRR!!!!

It has been a terrible winter, that's for sure. I think all y'all have pretty much already said it, about the weather in the North central states.

As for the original question, given some knowledge about driving classic muscle cars in bad weather, surprisingly they can handle very well. The rear wheel drive can cause skidding or fishtailing, and you can lose control if you aren't real careful about turns and such (though usually you can steer back into control if you know what you're doing). However, the sheer weight of the car, and the powerful engine's ability to pull harder at low speed, provide a great deal of stability and plowing-through ability. That is, as long as the road conditions are taken seriously... and definitely not too fast!

Ice is more of a problem here than snow. There hasn't been too much accumulation here due to the up and down temperature change. It gets cold, then it gets warm enough to thaw, and there is water everywhere. Then it freezes again and becomes ice and black ice. Flooding has been the biggest issue this winter where I'm located. Some of the local schools have had to close down not because of bad winter weather but flooding. This year has seen a ton of precipitation compared to others. Plus when there are huge pressure changes going from a high to a low so extreme like that the pressure gradients build up and you get high winds, which we have. Forty to sixty mile per hour winds, enough to be a pain but not enough for tornados.

Which all this being said, if you have sinus problems like I do, now is not a fun time.

Welcome to 'global climate change'.

Hey Y'all!

I agree Roger, we do need the moisture (although a few of you may feel differently!) but, it is always nice to see spring. Don't worry Garrett Duke, haying season will be here before you know it! Then we'll be wishin' for snow! Funny how that works, aint it?! I like snow, it is fun attacking the family with snowballs when they least expect it...

DaisyMae, you better hug Velvet Ears tight, and start drinkin' some cocoa. Of course, if you were to take a couple sips of Jesse's finest, I am sure that would warm you up! (No, I am just kidding. If you did that, you'd actually get colder, so don't think it Daisy!!)

Lukas_KD that was really interesting about the cars. I was so caught up in the weather reports from around Hazzard, I had forgotten about that! Thanks! When we drive in snow, though, it isn't on the road! Got the JEEP stuck a couple weeks ago because someone (and it wasn't me) had the idea to drive in the back '40 with it... I am sure you know where it is heading.

Oh, yes, Val, I know what you mean about the wind. With that cold spell I was talking about we got a LOT of wind. I was afraid the barn was going to blow down.

General Grant

Understand the problem with the wind too...we get that here as well. I hate that most of all...the cold and snow isn't so bad, it is when you add the wind that makes it the worse. Boy am I ready for spring...hee.

Though I also know what you mean, by July or so, I'll be wishin' it was a little colder outside...but not wishing snow. The last time I wanted snow it was back when I was a kid and actually went outside to play in the snow. Now all I do is take my dog outside to do her thing and then run back in!

Hey Y'all!

I agree, Garrett Duke, Nothing below 0! Right now, where I am we are coming out of a two day frigid cycle. So, it is 0 right now, and it is like a heat wave out there! I tell you waking up to -16 makes it hard to go out to the barn and do the chores... I don't know how the animals do it outside during that!?!

Oh, yes, sledding is fun, and you can only do in the winter. Now, don't y'all try this at home, but in the winter I hook my horse up to the sled and if it is the Paint/Quarter horse, one rides on the horse, the other gets pulled in the sled, otherwise I hook the sled up to the miniature and just use the carting cues with him and go by myself. Fortunatley they took to it pretty good the first time I tried it! My neighbors must wonder. Say, if it keeps warming up here, I might have to take the miniature out for a spin! I am still excited for spring though. The only thing I don't like about the warm weather (besides extreme heat) is snakes. I am scared to death of even a little garder snake, and that is about the only reason I hate warmer weather... I hate snakes... can't stand them...

Anyway, as soon as it warms to at least double digits above zero, I enjoy winter...

okay, y'all Stay warm! And go pop in an episode of the Dukes! :popcorn:

I am getting so sick and tired of winter and all this snow! I am beginning to wonder if it will ever stop! Not only has it been freezing cold the past two days, it has now been snowing all afternoon! Plus they say more tonight and then moreso tomorrow! For now, it has slowed down a bit for now at least...it just never stops! I keep thinking that sooner or later, it has to get better, warmer...something. Yet nothing, just more snow and more cold weather!

Where's spring and warm weather when you need it the most? LOL. Sorry for all my rambling and complaining here - I know it is winter and know to expect snow and cold weather during this time of year. But this much?! I don't think we've had a winter this cold or with this much snow in years...all I can say is, BRRRRRRRRRRRRR! LOL

I'll shut-up now...;)

we're supposed to get 6-10 inches today. we prolly got about 4 now and it's not supposed to stop till 11 tonight. the snow plows are going by my house constantly now but i don't think they can keep up with it. which is kinda good for us school kids.lol my dad was out plowing driveways this morning and he said it was gonna be hard to keep up with. maybe you did send all your snow my way Garrett Duke.=D thanks.lol

Oh, I hope y'all get some nicer weather! I know that it can really be upsetting when it snows non-stop for days and it is really UNBEARIBLY cold! Brrrrr...!

Oh, you weren't whining or rambling, Garrett Duke, I think I was doing more of it than anyone else on the thread!

Well, I do have a good bit of news... while you are going into the cold spell, I am coming out of it! Okay, maybe that wasn't good news for you... sorry! :)

You all sound like you are getting some good amounts of snow.

Don't worry, it will get nice and warm pretty soon. Maybe this is just the last winter storm of the season. (hey, we can hope!!) Just think, it is one less storm you will have to deal with this year, and one more day closer to that warm spring weather! Don't worry, you won't freeze into an ice cube, I am sure.

I know that spring is coming because yesterday I recieved some garden seeds in the mail. If that don't signal spring, I don't know what does!

Hang in there, y'all!

General Grant

Lucky for you Lori! I always enjoyed those when I was in school...that is until the end of the year when it came to make them up! LOL. I'm sure school kids are lovin' it right now...

Well, Dixie_Nachelle01, I am glad that you finally got the snow I sent out for you and that you are enjoying it. At least someone is ;). Though you are right, it is hard to keep up with when it keeps snowing continuously and all.

General Grant, you weren't complaining either...I hope that you are right about them seeds being a signal of spring and warmer weather about to come. I keep thinking the same as you, this could be the last, it could be...but then it don't turn out to be the last. Though as you said very nicely, it just might and sooner or later, it will be the last and warmer weather is bound to follow...hopefully. LOL. The snow is pretty, I'll give it that much credit. But it is the freezing cold, ice, and wind that I can't stand. BRRRRRRRRR. LOL.

Sounds like another cold one tomorrow with winds, sleet, snow and the whole works! YAY, YAY! Y'all hear my sarcasm? ;) LOL! Though at least they are only predicting an inch of snow this time, what I fear is the ice and driving in it.

Y'all keep warm!

Oh, yes, snow days.... Those are always fun. You know, I don't think I ever had to make up for a snow day!

Them seeds that came through the mail just HAVE to be a signal of spring. Afterall, you can't plant in the middle of winter! Spring is coming! Besides that, my stack of hay is runnin' out! So, when that pile reaches the half way mark... Spring is sure to follow... It just has to be! Come on Hayin' season!

Don't worry, Garrett, one of these times, it will be the last storm of the Season! I know that at first the snow is really pretty, and the cold isn't too bad. But after seeing it non stop for a while, that is enough. Then it needs to stop. I guess we are just having an "Old Fashioned Winter" as everyone around here keep saying! I am convinced that the weather goes in cycles! First we have a couple years of dry, pretty warm winters (like 10 degrees!) and then BANG we get get ____ feet of snow, and -30! You summed it up, Garrett, Brrrr!

Well, Spring is coming!

Keep thinking that, but until then bundle up when you go outside!

General Grant