Bo's GL at Barrett-Jackson

Capt_Redneck

Watched the Barrett-Jackson Collector Car Auction most of the past few nights.

John Schneider's General Lee affectionately known as Bo's General Lee sold for $450,000. He drove it on stage , played the dixie horn and then got on the roof and got the crowd to sing " Good Ol' Boys'" and said a few times that it was the most recognizable car in the world. John even did his "jump" into the car on TV. Great TV moment.

Bidding opened up at it sort of stalled at $200,000 for a bit then John got on the mic trying to give some history about it. Even made a comment about "the other guys" and his was a real GL movie used car all be it the reunion movie Hazzard In Hollywood. But it was still a replica that was used in a reunion movie.

The announcers who I loved throughout the auction for their knowledge were somewhat oblivious to the General Lee. Calling the roll bar and front push bar a rebar or something like that. On stage , the two announcers could not even open the hood right away and one of them is MOPAR expert/guru. But they make a valid point that I even said to my wife earlier on before the car came up - that you can actually get a Charger adn Hemi crate motor and make your self a replica like John's or better for a lot LESS money when the bidding was at 200k.

All in all in was fun. John got in the crowd and worked the bidders and finally got it up to 450k. Don't forget this was the one that on Ebay last year and sold for a $1,000,000 that turned out to be bogus and John mentioned that on stage too. I think he was lucky he got what he got for it.

I'm gone

Darrell

I will agree with most of what you said but it isn't just a replica.Well maybe to you it is but to most of us over at CGLFC consider it a REAL General Lee since it was used in a reunion movie with the original cast.You notice as soon as it was revealed that everyone had signed it the price shot up. To do a Charger with identical upgrades would run you close to 200K now. A Charger SE(which his is) in excellent condition will run you 40-50k easy or more.A crate 511 hemi tweaked to 750 hp probably close to 20k or more. The tranny is special too along with the rear end and brake system,suspention, also car is now upgraded to a full frame car add say another 30k for all that then you gotta add paint and decals another 5-10k for a professional job. The REAL Hazzard history along with the signatures? How do you put a price on that? To a Dukes fan which the winner may have been it was worth a lot. Plus some of the money went to charity. I agree 450K is a bit much.The problem is now everyone with a normal replica will think theirs will be worth a whole bunch more now.I can see Ebay full of them now with a starting bid of 100K. Anyone wanna bid on mine 100k to start and it's been signed by almost everyone. I know you didn't care fore that little dig at the movie that John got in there,but I chuckled at it. I personally don't consider any of those Generals REAL other than the one that was left over from the TV series. Sure they were built by WB but I don't see them ever going for what one from the TV show will go for.

I think John did well at $450,000. Realistically he wasn't going to get a million for it, and to be honest I dont think there are that many die hard Dukes fans out there that would be able to afford to pay for more. It will be terrible if someone got that charger and then repainted it or something. Poor John, it feels wrong to have John without a General Lee, its like having Bo without a woman on his arm. Its wrong!

Hey Tim S. , John built his or had it built to be precise, to his specs. It is a matter of symantics, he built the car for himself before the reunion movie but happened to get it in there. He built is as a replica at first.

I agree with you on the history part, but it is also what somebdy was willing to pay for it. Maybe the charity part brought the price up some as was the case on some of the other cars there.

I am a member and read the stuff over at the CGLFC and it seemed that what I said was what saying over there about the price.

Would Kenny Wayne Sheppard's Extreme Lee or Kid Rock's GL have fetched a ton of money because they were in magazines and videos? You never know.

Who cares what he said about the movie? It is almost 3 years old so time to get over it.

By the way, last time I "talked" to you months ago , you had just lost your job as you were laid off. Find anything yet?

I'm gone

Darrell

Never lost the job it was a temporary layoff because Volvo trucks had an issue with the new trucks and had to refit them in accordance to newer air regulations so the production line stopped.Back up to about normal now.We got Bluebird schoolbus contract now too.We make parts for both now. To me once it was used in the reunion with the original cast it became a REAL Lee regardless if it was built as a replica or not. I agree you could build one identical to his for less than half of what he got.What concerns me is how much Chargers are going to go for now as a result along with prices for parts. They are out of reach now for the average guy to restore one now.Glad I've had mine done since 89 when it was cheap.

Tim ....Good to hear that it was only temporary and good to hear that your company has another contract.

I don't think the prices will be as high as some of ya'll think. I understand that these TV shows and magazines that find, build and sell cars are drivingall car prices up. But , I bet , someone will start producing the resto parts and bodies like they have now for the 67 mustang and 69 camaros and jeeps and pick ups. It is still expensive to build but it is more reasonable than finding an original.

From all the stuff I have read on your GL and you converted it a long time ago, do you think it might be time to upgrade your GL? Please don't take that as ding against you, but watching the Barrett Jackson auction they all talked about fresh resto's and ones done a few years earlier and the values and such.

I'm gone

Darrell