Makin my own General Lee Replica

TomBo

Thanks Darrell, I want to share the photos and such but at the same time dont wanna saturate everyone everyday if ya know what I mean?

I am thankful that people like lookin at them because I really enjoy takin them. Everytime I go to the bodyshop its like another present when I see more done!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Haven't been on in a few days...

just awesome. looking like it is coming along very good.

Just a couple of questions. Looking at the pix of the frame/crossmembers and the floor panels - they look a little bit rusty. Did you do anything to them to prevent further corrosion or is it just the pix?

Second question - You can't be serious about no more pix or updates? I want more. Please keep us updated here and as I said before it is truly appreciated by all of us here at HNet

Anyway, I am jealous that you are doing it.

I'm gone

Darrell

LOL I will keep postin its fun for me to do the work & snap the shot & then look back on the pix witha cold one & think of all the other things I have to do to the car.

ok the floor....actually the cars floor is great except for the drivers foot area. That area has a new piece of floor pur chased & ready to go in, in that area.

As for the framerails, they are mostly surface rust which in NJ is common. There is NO structrual damage or concerns there.

I have also this past weekend Por-15'ed all the areas I coukld until we put i n the trunk floors 7 the drivers floor metal. This stuff is awesome. Cleans it up & is a excellent rust inhibitor.

Here are some shots of what I talked about above,

Floor b4

DSCF1723.jpg

Floor after Por-15--->Note the drivers area that will be replaced:

DSCF1731.jpg

Heres a better shot of that area soon to b replaced:

DSCF1735.jpg

The areas not coated with Por-15 will soon be after the welding is done. Needs to be a clean surface for that. I will also be coating the outside & inside trunk floor & the trunk extensions & the outside frame rails.

Welding? On a good day, I get all fired up and maybe change the oil by myself, or fill up the washer-wiper thing with cleaning solution...

So you have my admiration. Question for you - where did you find your project Charger? Do you mind sharing how much it cost?

I'm working on an article about the General Lee replica market, and it would be great to include any tips you have about finding a good project car.

Thanks!

Welding? On a good day, I get all fired up and maybe change the oil by myself, or fill up the washer-wiper thing with cleaning solution...

So you have my admiration. Question for you - where did you find your project Charger? Do you mind sharing how much it cost?

I'm working on an article about the General Lee replica market, and it would be great to include any tips you have about finding a good project car.

Thanks!

The story with this 69 Charger..Hmmm never been asked that b4. Well I have ben a Mopar guy for many many moons. Since my mother gave me a 69 coronet in 1981. Thats a whole different story lol, anyway I was hooked on mopars from that day on. I have had about 30 mopars in my lifetime.

This Charger, being in the hobby I have seen prices go crazy whether it was Barrett Jackson or E-bay or whatever. Gone are the days of 200.00 to 600.00 Chargers and yes they were plentiful enough that I pased on a few, oh to go back!

I heard a friend of mine in the hobby say "Get the car (mopar) you want now because in the next 5 yrs you wont be able to fford the one you want". I heard it but didnt believe it. He was right but wrong. Wrong because it didnt happen in 5 yrs but right because it happened in 10 & man did it happen.

So when I heard him say that I already had my 69 coronet & a 70 R/T charger & a 68 Charger. I didnt need another one but when someone came & said theres a Charger in a town nearby that just popped up out of a garage I had to go see it & whe n i asked if he'd sell he said yes & the price was 1500.00. This was 1999 or 98 and I got it home & parked it til I started this project Lee last Year.

Worked on the car again today. Drivers side floor is partially cut out & almost ready for the new one. Had to stop & do other things.

Trunk floor & extensions are in & welded & the rear end caps are tied in to the valance panel also.

The trunk inside & underneath are Por-15'ed (anti rust inhibitor).

Here are some shos of todays work:

DSCF1779.jpg

DSCF1785.jpg

DSCF1788.jpg

DSCF1789.jpg

You got a lot work done , is coming on nicely. I am hoping to being this as well this summer, I so have to do this , this year!!!!

I can't wait to see when you are finished. I love the fact that you show step by step of what you are doing, is perfect photos to add to your album , so people can see how much work you put into it.

*CHEERS* man!!!!!

The story with this 69 Charger..Hmmm never been asked that b4. Well I have ben a Mopar guy for many many moons. Since my mother gave me a 69 coronet in 1981. Thats a whole different story lol, anyway I was hooked on mopars from that day on. I have had about 30 mopars in my lifetime.

This Charger, being in the hobby I have seen prices go crazy whether it was Barrett Jackson or E-bay or whatever. Gone are the days of 200.00 to 600.00 Chargers and yes they were plentiful enough that I pased on a few, oh to go back!

I heard a friend of mine in the hobby say "Get the car (mopar) you want now because in the next 5 yrs you wont be able to fford the one you want". I heard it but didnt believe it. He was right but wrong. Wrong because it didnt happen in 5 yrs but right because it happened in 10 & man did it happen.

So when I heard him say that I already had my 69 coronet & a 70 R/T charger & a 68 Charger. I didnt need another one but when someone came & said theres a Charger in a town nearby that just popped up out of a garage I had to go see it & whe n i asked if he'd sell he said yes & the price was 1500.00. This was 1999 or 98 and I got it home & parked it til I started this project Lee last Year.

Thanks for the background story on this Charger! You made yourself one heck of an investment when you nabbed it for $1500. I haven't seen a project Charger that cheap in....well, like you said, it has to be 10 years.

I do follow your progress here - I don't always take the time to comment depending on how full my day is, but I enjoy watching it come together.