Starting a thread for Dukesfest 2008 to share news and stuff.

Me first:

Byron Cherry posted on a Yahoo group that John was filming near his home and invited him over to hang out. They hugged for the first time in 25 years and had a blast and thus it is official Byron a.k.a. Coy Duke will be at Dukesfest 2008.

He goes on to say that if anyone has any Duke related questions you can e-mail him and he'll be more than happy to answer.

I read it in Byron's Group. Usually he posts in the Dukes Day forum which is an extension of the Canadian Dukes Fan Club website and official forum. It has information about the annual Dukes Days in Canada in which some cast members participate including Byron.

http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Byron_Cherry_aka_COY_DUKE/?yguid=209957574

I don't know if Byron participates in the official forum though. My membership is still pending but the owner usually carries news and important messages from one site to the other.

• 2 months later...

BREAKING NEWS

I have found out from the head honchos of the Dukesfest 2008 organizing comittee thingy, that as of the time I have posted this message. TOM WOPAT is OFFICIALLY scheduled to appear at Dukesfest 2008...now who wants to place bets on how long it'll be until he drops out lmao. Nah kidding, they said to me as of now Tom is officially scheduled :)

Hey Y'all!

That is cool that Tom is going to Dukefest! Okay (this might sound like a bad question...) Where is Dukefesst held? :oops: I can't believe I don't know... Don't y'all laugh, now!! :D

Anyway, do they keep it in the same place every year, or does it move around? I've never been to Dukefest. Has anyone ever gone? If so, how was it? Is there a lot of waiting in line?

I am just excited thinking about it, although I don't think I'll ever make it to one! Just thinking about it is exciting!

General Grant

This year Dukesfest is being held at the Atlanta Motor Speedway in...well Atlanta Georgia lol. The last few years it was ina a different place because Ben Jones and his wife Alma had been running it. Last year however, John and Elly Schneider took over so they moved it to the speedway. You kinda have to follow the info as it comes out on this event to be honest lol.

If you want the lowdown, go to John's site on it www.dukesfest.com :)

It is being held at Atlanta Motor Speedway...but the track technically is not in Atlanta. I can't recall the name of the town or city that it is actually held at, but I remember from the last NASCAR race they had there, that it wasn't it Atlanta. They are racing there again on Sunday...maybe I'll hear it again. ;) It is several miles out of Atlanta if I remembr right...but is an awesome track, sure wish I could go again this year! :(

I still wouldn't hold my breath on Tom being there guys and gals, just because it says he is scheduled does not mean guaranteed to be there. He was "scheduled" last year and backed out sorta at the last minute. You can bet if a Broadway thing comes into play he'll do that instead of Dukesfest. I heard mostly bad things the last time he was there anyway. I heard he was kind of a jerk and he wasn't on time either. That is no way to treat fans who made you what you are.

Oh, thanks y'all for the information. I'll have to check that site out, BoJames, thank you for sending it!

That is very interesting, Garrett Duke. I wonder why they would call it Atlanta Motor SpeedWay, if it isn't in Atlanta?

Well, if Tom wants to pursue a career in Broadway productions, that is great! I hope that he finds happiness and has a great time doing it! Although, if he was scheduled, it is a little rude to back down last minute (I don't know the whole story, though) but, he's got priorites I guess. How could Dukefest not be on top, though?! I am not sure either about Tom's behavior at the last Dukefest he was at, I have never gone, and haven't read up on it. Maybe he's just sick of living in the past and wants to move on past the Dukes of Hazzard. Can't say as how I blame him, but I would certainly hope he wasn't rude! In the commentaries and bonus features on the Dukes DVDs, I kind of get the feeling that he just wants to move on and has a "what's done is done" attitude. Nothing wrong with that, though. Anyway, I hope he goes, even if I can't get there. I am sure that his going would make a couple people very happy!

General Grant

• 5 weeks later...

Usually a cast member will sign anything you actually buy off of his or her merchandise table, at no extra charge. If you're bringing something with you, plan on a minimum of $5 to $10 bucks for each cast member's autograph.

Each cast member usually has his or her own autograph policy, and policy can change the day of the event, depending on the size of the crowds.

Dukesfest can get expensive and the lines for autographs are long. I recommend bringing a comfortable backpack to wear, that has separate compartments. Pack bottled waters and snacks in one section, and have another compartment set aside for autorgraphed photos and what have ya. The main complaint I've had with DukesFest over the past umpteen years, is that the food vendors are few and far between and prices are way high. Last DukesFest, a cold hot dog and a warm pepsi cost me like seven bucks.

All that said - it's a blast and it's worth the trip. Have fun!

Well I guess the nice thing about the high food prices is that you can fantasize you're really in Hazzard County. After all if Boss was running the event that's what he'd charge. Who knows, maybe he is back in the shadows somewhere running the place. I can see him now, peaking through a hole in the wall with his cigar in one hand and calculator in the other, chuckling at the people standing in the vending line.

Well, if Tom wants to pursue a career in Broadway productions, that is great! I hope that he finds happiness and has a great time doing it! Although, if he was scheduled, it is a little rude to back down last minute (I don't know the whole story, though) but, he's got priorites I guess. How could Dukefest not be on top, though?! I am not sure either about Tom's behavior at the last Dukefest he was at, I have never gone, and haven't read up on it. Maybe he's just sick of living in the past and wants to move on past the Dukes of Hazzard. Can't say as how I blame him, but I would certainly hope he wasn't rude! In the commentaries and bonus features on the Dukes DVDs, I kind of get the feeling that he just wants to move on and has a "what's done is done" attitude. Nothing wrong with that, though. Anyway, I hope he goes, even if I can't get there. I am sure that his going would make a couple people very happy!

General Grant

From what I read and the comments that the ladies at TomTown wrote after seapking to Tom, he says that he has nothing against Dukes of Hazzard and enjoys getting back into it once in a while and meeting the Duke fans but doesn't want to make a steady diet of it.

From what he told one of the ladies he had fun at Dukesfest but it seems he finds it a little overwhelming (for lack of a better word, not sure how to put it) crowd wise. Lots of people down there. LOL

I've never been to Dukesfest and I've never met him in person. I've heard that he was a little late at Dukesfest. The ladies that did meet him say that he is a very nice guy.

As far as not being there last year, I read that he had a clause in his contract (for Chicago) that if the show's run was to be extended that he had to stay and could not leave for other things. That is what happenend so he had to cancel his appearance at Dukesfest otherwise he would have been there for sure.

Tom quote: "It's great to see the fans again," he said. "At the same time, if I got something else that doesn't let me out, that doesn't make those allowances, I've got to weigh those things."

From what he told one of the ladies he had fun at Dukesfest but it seems he finds it a little overwhelming (for lack of a better word, not sure how to put it) crowd wise. "

I can't say I blame him. I was there the year Tom was there. 70,000 to 100,000 people can be overwhelming to anyone. There was alot of people wanting pictures and wanting his autographs. That would be overwhelming to anyone. Give the guy credit he does have have a life outside Dukes.

I've been lucky enough to meet Tom twice now - once at Dukesfest and once at a concert in my hometown - and he was a sweetheart both times! At the concert, he made a point of coming out before the show to meet the fans and get his picture taken with a General Lee that someone had brought.

Then, at intermission, he came back out while everyone else was taking a few minutes break and signed autographs and answered questions.

I just can't imagine anyone calling him a jerk!

I got to meet him last year. I thought he was really nice...gave me a half hug as he posed for a pic with me...and all the rumors are true...he is all muscle!!! I had my hand on his back when we hugged and wow! LOL.

Anyway, I think the reason he gets a rep for being a jerk is because, compared to John who I also met last year but in Nashville, Tom is very quiet and standoffish. He is not as personable and considering he has had problems with stalkers and things, not always good experiences with fans, he probably just appears that way. When I was with him he kept looking up at people who on the 2nd floor were taking pics of him...you could tell he was uneasy about it... like he thought they could jump on him or something...so I bet crowds do freak him out...unless he is on stage and away from them...

• 1 month later...

Poor guy...John loves it all, I'll bet if he ever got a stalker he'd find it funny and just go and make a friend out of them or something lmao.

But yeah, Tom's only appearing on Sunday this year due to his Broadway Scheduling which is gonna create a lot of work for the poor guy because so many people will be wanting to get his autograph that day. But hey, i'm just glad he's coming at all :)

• 3 weeks later...

I just want to start by saying this is the greatest thing since the the start of the Dukes of Hazzard that its coming home to Atlanta and Georgia... This is like history for me that i grew up on... I dont know if many people know it or not but ATLANTA and Georgia is where Dukes of Hazzard is based and was orginally filmed. I know growning up i remember my grandmother telling about her remembering them going down back dirt roads in Monroe County Georgia in the boilingbrook georgia area in 1978, north of Macon and south of Atlanta filming small segments of the show...Also some of the first shows, espicially the eposode "daisy's song" was filmed in Midtown Atlanta in the Colony Sq area where boss hogg was being chased by Atlanta police and over in the 14th st. area where bosses recording studio was located...Also he was chased down Peachtree st...The original and real hazzard county is actually in Conyers and Covington, Georgia Just east of Atlanta...To me the Dukes of hazzard is more of a symbolization of my southern heritage and what i grew up with, also the memories of my child hood growing up with my cousins watching the show...Daisy's Song really really rings true due to ATLANTAs music history in the past 10 to 15 years becoming the new motown of the south... I am a black male and the dukes of hazzard will alway be apart of me and my heartage... Its only been my one wish that another dukes of hazzard movie even if its the final movie with the original cast be filmed here in Atlanta, Conyers and Covington crossing all cultures and music barrier basing it off of all the thing that affect Atlanta, Georgia and what would affect Hazzard County today like Atlanta Suburban sprawl. Since Covington and Conyers are technically Atlanta Suburbs they should create it based off of saving uncle Jessie farm from developing subdivision or a developement... I also think it would be great to use all the orginal cast as well as include some well known Atlanta Celeb's like Outkast... That would be neat and cross all barriers...