Dixie's 16th Birthday Suprise

DixieDavenport

BL knew what she had to do she had to get with Daisy and get the party organized and have it whether Dixie wanted it or not. And, she intended to do that too, just as soon as her behind quit stinging.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luke talked to Jesse and told him of his and Cooter's plans to spend the next two nights at the garage in hopes of having Dixie's car made into one and on the road for her day after tomorrow.

Jesse had heard about Luke intending to get to know Dixie, "Luke I know you have always took to her and I know you are intending to date her. With everything that's gone on with Lori and BL, Luke is it wise to want to date her now?"

Luke gave a slight grin to his Uncle who he dearly loved and who seemed to know everything. He shook his head. He knew where Jesse had heard it, "Bo?"

Jesse shrugged just a bit.

"He's the only one I told. Your likely right about the timing may not be the best, but what I didn't tell Bo is I agreed to certain let's say 'restrictions' until she turns 18 which is just a few days away but I'll stick to them. I told him I'd follow what ever rules he set which largely means we can only go to the Boar's Nest, can only stay as long as his is there and I promised not to drink AT ALL if she's riding with me." Luke explained.

Jesse nodded. If Luke was willing to go along with those conditions he was either very serious or it wouldn't last a week. "Ok Luke but I wouldn't give Luther any casue to doubt you right now."

"Believe me, I have no intentions of being bounced out of his house and I fully believed he would have shot us had we still been there, so I have no plans to cross him." Luke said.

Jesse said, "Well he may have shot at ya'll, but I don't think he would have shot ya."

Luke nodded, 'yes', "You weren't there. I belileve he would have."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luke had called Dixie at the farm to make sure she was OK. She sounded down, but said she was Ok. She hoped he was calling to say they were going to the Boar's Nest, but Luke had made the excuse that Jesse needed them up extra early the next day to do some extra work at the farm. He didn't want her to know that they were working on her birthday present.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That evening when the garage should have been closing Luke and Bo pulled up prepared to spend the night at the garage working on Dixie's car.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NIGHT OF THE PARTY~~~~

Luke, and the others had a cake and all prepared, the car was stashed around out back. they all waited for Dixie to arrive. Luther and B.L. and Dixie pulled up. Dixie walked in and saw the decorations and all and smiled. There was one gift that Luke had, it was requested that HE give it to Dixie from Lori. He wasn't sure he wanted to or not. Dixie walked in and they all talked and all, Jeb's band playing.

When it was time for gifts, Luke looked to Dixie and sighed,"This one is for you from Lori...."

Dixie smiled, well maybe Lori DID care about her. Dixie opened it up and saw a big note that she read aloud without thinking,"FOR YOU AND LUKE TO CELEBRATE WITH.... WHEN LUTHER FINDS OUT HE'LL WHIP YER ALLS A**ES HAVE FUN COUSIN!!"

Luke dropped his head as Luther and Jesse were shooting daggers, Dixie turned blood red and dropped the gift shaking her head, Lori would STILL somehow manage to destroy her big night even in ANOTHER state!! There was another from Lori that was a little more meaner than the condoms, Lori wrote," Since I love you ever soooo much here ya go.... my favoritest cousin in the world..." Lori then proceeded to buy Dixie a vibrator, saying,"JUST IN CASE LUKE COULDNT FULFILL HIS DUTIES..."

Luther was furious with the gifts and was madder than a wet hen cause he couldn't whip her, he knew shed be whipped enough. Luke turned blood red, yep... Lori managed to ruin the gift part of the birthday.....

Luke took Dixie outside,"Luke... I knew Lori hated me... she said so herself...but why would she do that?"

Luke sighed,"It wasn't you AND she doesn't hate you.... its...me."

Dixie shook her head, she knew Lori held grudges and all, but she said she was over Luke...

"Luke, Lori said she was over you though.."

"Dix I really hope she has. I knew I should have waited at least unti after your birthday before I even thought about starting anything with you. But, with Lori she's never going to be able to accept seeing me with someone else."

Luke thought to himself about remarks that people had made to him over the years about him and Lori. They had said it didn't matter if they were mad, dating, friends or what that anytime the second one entered a room that the others eyes lite up the room. Luke knew deep down it would always be that way even if they both seriously tried to move on, but he-- he'd done everything he knew to do. He had even married her. Where did that get him? Divorced and still she had started trouble for him and anyone he'd dated OR TALKED to since. He knew she hadn't moved on, and he hadn't moved on either.... least not yet... he** he's tried and tried too.

He led Dixie to the back were the finished car waited.....

He led Dixie to the back were the finished car waited. Cooter had went to check on Dixie and saw Luke taking her to see her car. He went back inside and said, "Hey everyone. Dixie has one more present out back that just may cheer her up. Come on!!!"

Everyone went hurried around the side of the Boar's Nest. Luke had told her to turn around about that time.

When Dixie turned around she saw her car TOGETHER! It had already been painted a snow white like she had wanted. Dixieland Delight had been painted above the windows in Blue paint with the fanciest writing Cooter could manage to paint. The blue leather interior had been cleaned and shined. Cooter had found some origianal reams that sparkled in the sun. They had also painted a personal tag for the front bumper with Dixie and Luke. Luke had already went to the courthouse and gotten it tagged, insured and legal.

When Dixie saw it her eyes opened wide, she jumped into Luke's arms, and said, "Luke! It's gorgous!!! But HOW???"

Luke still held her with her legs wrapped around his waist. "That's why I couldn't take you out the past two nights. Cooter and I worked on it all night."

She hugged his neck and said, "Thank you it's the best present ever!!!!"

Luke smiled at her. Neither one knew the crowd had just cam around the corner. Their eyes met and they began to kiss very passionately.

As the crowd came around the building and saw the kiss B.L standing on the far side of Cooter as far away from Luther as she could be with Konrad on her other side whistled shrilly and yelled "GO DIXIE!"

Luke turned about ten shades of red and purple as he put DIxie back on the ground. Many eyes were on Dixie's Dad. He merely gave Luke a warning look for now.

Daisy said "well take it fer a spin sugar"

Luther spoke up then saying "too bad you have to wait to try it out until it's legal."

Luke handed Dixie the registration, proof of insurance and the keys saying "it is"

Luther, Jesse and all the others were surprised at this not only had Luke bought Dixie the car but he'd got it legal to be ready to hit the road when he gave it to her. Dixie grinned and jumped in the driver's seat with Luke riding shotgun. They peeled out of the Boar's Nest parking lot everyone else went back inside for the rest of the party when Lori and Luke got back.

When they got back and came in the Boar's Nest everyone was asking her how her new car handled and all. Dixie was all smiles as she excitedly told them it was great. Luke didn't have one single drink except coke through the whole party and he was sure to be respectable when dancing with Dixie which shocked quite a few people at the party except for his family and hers they all knew why he was being a perfect gentleman.

Luke had managed to find a minute while Dixie was with friends to talk to Luther. "The presents and notes from Lori, was her attempt to have you keep us apart."

Luther nodded, "I know Lori's handy work when I see it." He paused, "However, I was witness to THAT kiss earlier as was half of Hazzard. It was just a bit too hot for a father to feel comfortable with."

Luke had the good sense to be a bit embarrassed, "Ah, ....... yeah, ...... I understand that. I'm sorry about that, I guess with the party being a bit upsetting to her, Dixie was overly suprised with the car and I admit, I got a bit carried away. It won't happen again." Luke at least hoped it wouldn't again with Luther present.

"Just cool your jets a bit and take it slow is all I'm asking. I'll even stay a bit longer tonight. Say about 1AM?" Luther said. He had noticed how Luke had held Dixie's hand, maybe put an arm around her shoulders or waist, but he impressed Luther with his attempt to put a father at ease. Luke hadn't drank a drop even though he was riding to the Davenports with Dixie and someone would pick hom up there tonight so Dixie could drive her car.

Luke returned to Dixie and they were dancing yet another dance.

Luther looked at Jesse and asked, "What do you think?"

Jesse replied, "Honestly, I think he's making a serious attempt to put us both at ease with them being together. I figured it like this, Luther, when I heard about it. Either he's serious and is going to stick with this cause he truely cares for her or he only thinks he's serious and he'll call it off in less than a week."

Luther asks, "So if it lasts longer than a week, I need to get used to the idea?"

"Afraid so!" Jesse said calmly, "Least that's the way I see it."

All in all Dixie enjoyed her party. About 1245AM Luke suggested they get her things together and in the car. They did and left the Boar's Nest. Bo would leave a bit later to pick up Luke at the Davenport's. Luther finished his beer and left to make sure they didn't have a lot of time together alone.

Bo told Luke as he got in, "We still got time. Want to go grab a beer since you drank pop and tea all night?"

Luke nodded to Bo's disappointment, 'no', "Nah, I'm ready to go home. You can go back after you drop me off if you want."

Bo sighed, "Luke what is up with you?"

Luke replied, "I found something that I want. At least I'm certain enough of that to do what I have to be able to find out."

Bo looked shocked, "Luke are you sure you ain't just falling for her cause she's Lori's cousin. OR because you've been accused of her?"

Luke smiled at his cousin, "Bo, Lori knows me probably better than I know myself. Did you ever think that's why she accussed me of Dixie so much?"

Bo's eyes went wide and he almost ran off the road, "LUKE, YOU AIN'T??"

Luke took a deep breath and replied, "NO! I AIN'T, BUT, ......... well, .......... it don't mean that I ain't looked, wondered, thought about her."

Bo argued, "Luke she's rode with you on wrecker calls! And, we grew up chasing frogs together. That's doesnt' mean YOU know HER!"

Luke smirked, "Bo I know her a bit better than you think. She has went on part runs we me. We've been out to dinner on those trips. She learned to operate and drive that da--ed wrecker before she did a car because I taught HER. You remember when we were in jail for running shine? Well, THE letter that Vance and LORI got so bent out of shape about that Dixie wrote me. It wasn't just one letter. There were several to me AND from me to her. Bo honest Ingine, I don't know what was worse Lori trying to drive me crazy or watching Dixie trying to dive Jeb up the wall and wishing it were me!"

Bo again almost ran off the road!

Luke said, "If you are having problem keeping the General Lee on the road I'll be glad to take over for you!"

Bo glared, "Cute, LUKE! Cute!" He paused a few minutes to get the General lined back out and his thoughts together, "You're REALLY serious about her? Then why did you wait this long?" Deep down Bo knew the answer.

Luke sighed and utter one word. He simply said, "Lori." Then he added his explaniation, "Here she is gone to Johnson County and me and Dixie should be able to not worry about he trying to break us up and what does she do but send Dixie birthday gifts BY ME to try to make Luther keep us apart by making him think we are intimate."

Bo asked, "Are ya'll?"

Luke looked at him in dismay, "Bo I am STILL alive! No of course NOT. I can wait. I can wait until she is ready. And now that she is a year older it shouldn't matter when that is, but I"m content with nights like tonight."

Bo was shocked at Luke's attitude. He had no idea Luke had evidently been watching Dixie for some time now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With Lori gone things settled into a 'normal' routine if Hazzard could ever have one. Everyone got use to seeing Dixie and Luke together and Konrad and BL together. The week that Jesse spoke of passed, then another and another. It had now been nearly six months and Luke was still holding true to his word. Rosco sure had been bored. Luke hadn't even been in a bar room fight since he and Dixie had been dating, largely due to the fact that Luke may go out for a beer with Bo maybe once a week or drink one or two with Cooter at the garage and ONLY if Dixie wasn't around.

Spring was in the air. Birds were singing, beeing buzzing, dogs tail wagging and EVERYONE was feeling extra good with the new beginnings of life through out the trees, flowers and animals. With Spring came the guys favorite time of year, warmer weather, less clothing!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile in NC, Lori had.............

Meanwhile in NC, Lori had been busy with her promotion. Ya see Lori had been the first lady to become a drill instructor for the men's corps, she was dressed as a drill instructor should be and she was meaner than he**....well, meaner that what she was already. She had already trained over 200 men to be sent to war and was making sure the men knew what the name,"United States Marine," truely meant.

At her graduation she never wanted ANY of her family there, except for Cooter and Uncle Jesse, and they both came too. Uncle Jesse had promised her that he would stick to the story of her being in Jonhson County, Cooter was proud of her. Lori knew she'd probably never get over Luke, she had wrote to Cooter many times explaining to him her feelings, Cooter, of course, wrote back and tried the best he could to help her.

Lori made no effort to come home when over the course of 6 months she had vacations, Instead she was busy playing at local bars and all, her music, there was a talent scout there one time, and he did seriously think of recruiting her into the music business, he talked and got her number and all, she thought,"Just ANOTHER man..." She didn't know he was a talent scout from Nashville.

Surprisingly Lori had NOT been court-marshaled, she had behaved herself and acted the way she should. She never thought twice of Dixie or her big birthday and she never regretted sending those gifts. She couldn't honestly stand the thought of them two together they just didn't fit right in her mind, not that they weren't cute together or anything, Lori figured it was were they were cousins, she didn't know anymore, she wasn't sure what or who to believe.

The war had officially been started and the boys were called to war in North Vietnam, south Vietnam was allies with U.S. (they supported and helped the U.S) Lori had been training men by the numbers getting them ready to leave.

It was a typical Saturday morning. With the farm chores done Jesse had cut the boys loose until suppertime. Bo and Luke had headed to the garage. Bo parked the General Lee in front of the garage but out of customers way. Cooter knew they'd be by and had saved a job of pulling an engine until they got there. Bo walked in and grabbed a doughnut. Luke went to the frig and grabbed three beers tossing Bo and Cooter one. He then took a seat on the counter by the phone to sip his beer, "What's going on here today?" Luke asked Cooter.

"Well, I mighty glad you asked that. See I figured you'd be by sometime today. I got to pull this here engine. You know if me and Dad try it we'll get fifteen wrecker calls 'fore we'd get done." Cooter explained.

Luke smack Bo's hand away from the last doughnut and took it himself, then replied, "Yeah, we'll help, ain't got nothing going on until suppertime."

Cooter finished his beer and said, "Well, let's get at it then."

A couple hours later Luther walked into the garage to see two set of legs under the car that Cooter was pulling an engine from to rebuild and Luke Duke was elbow under the hood. "Who's underneath?" Luther asked.

Luke turned to see Luther still working as he answered, "Cooter and Bo."

Luther nodded. He stood back and watched and listened to the three friends banter as they worked. His thoughts were not just on these three young men but of the young men who were starting to be drafted into the service. He knew if things continued Hazzard County would have a lot less young men around. He'd seen drafts done before and it was strange to see who would be effected by it. His thoughts were intrupted by Cooter.

He was saying to the other two boys, "Ok, she's ready to come out. Luke you got the 'spaghetti'?"

Luke knew he meant all the hose and wires. "Taping the last one up now."

In a matter of minutes the three had the engine out of the car, the car rolled out from under it and the engine setting on the floor. Cooter tossed each his friends a beer and said, "Shhhhh! Thanks fellas! It would have taken me a lot longer with out you guys."

Luther looked at the three. He figured Cooter had offered to pay them, but from the looks of things they were just helping him for free. He had to ask. "Free labor?"

Luke grinned and held his beer up a bit, "We work cheep. 'sides there wasn't anything else going on today."

Luther figured if the boys wanted to help Cooter without it costing him anything then who was he to argue.

Bo decided to walk down the street for a bit and shortly after Cooter took a wrecker call, leaving Luke and Luther alone in the garage. Luke tossed his beer bottle in the trash.

Luther said, "Grab you another beer."

"Thanks, but I'm good." Luke said.

Luther studied the young man before him, "You know when you asked to date Dixie, I talked to Jesse about it. He told me he figured you were either serious about sticking to our agreement or you two wouldn't last a week. How long has it been now?"

Luke shrugged a bit and thought, "I don't know, five, six months."

Luther nodded, "Luke you have impressed me. You told me if I made the rules you'd stick to them and as far as I know you have kept your word."

"Yes, Sir I have." Luke replied.

Luther nodded he believed Luke because he knew Jesse's 'kids' didn't lie. "You know Luke, I may have been a bit 'over protective' of the girls. I don't want to see them hurt. But, I also may not have been fair to you two either. I know Dixie is getting older and I know I still try to keep her my baby. He--, I still am looking for training wheels for the Thunderbird and you go buy her that da--ed hot rod!"

Luke laughed, "I see Jesse not let Daisy or Coy do things the rest of us has done for years, so I understand."

Luther said, "Well, how about I give say another hour on her curfew and as long as I know where ya'll are going you can likely take her other places."

Luke asked to make sure he understood what was being said, "So she now has to be in by 1AM and if everyone say decided to go to the lake and you approved she could go which means you won't necessarily be following us home."

Luther said, "Well, going to the Boar's Nest and havign to wait on ya'll to leave or making ya'll leave cause I want to is getting a bit old on my part. And, I know that BL and Cooter are likely around so I'll let that one slide too."

Luke nodded, "Thanks I appreciate that and I'm sure Dixie will too."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back at the Davenport farm, Dixie and BL were doing their normal Saturday cleaning. All the guys had left them to theirselves. Dixie asked, "BL what's up with you and Konrad? Ya'll seem connected at the hips?"

B.L shrugged and thought about it she and Konrad had gotten really close over the last six months but they still hadn't done it. After a few minutes she answered "He's a nice guy Dix the nicest one I've dated. A relationship ain't all about sex, we have some great conversation too."

Dixie thought before answering and said, "Yeah, BL, I know that. I have a good time with Luke. Always have. I really think that is what got to Lori, we could have fun together and I don't have him only talk to me. He-- he KNOWS everybody and if someone speaks to him that's fine cause I know he brought me and is taking ME home not them. I dont' have to have him only."

B.L nodded in agreement with Dixie, "that's the way it is we me and Konrad. I know he's leaving with me when it's time to come home and not someone else. I think Lori would have been able to have a better relationship with Luke or anyone else if she hadn't been so possessive and paranoid."

Dixie totally agreed with B.L about Lori. B.L looked at Dixie and asked "would you ya know with Luke?" ......

Dixie thougth about how she was going to word her answer, "BL part of me wants to tell you 'YES', 'in a NEW YORK MINUTE' but there is another part of me that says 'No'. There's the whole thing about saving yourself for your wedding night, but it's more than that. Like we talked before, I don't want to end up pregnant and FORCE him to marry me. B. if I'd ever marry Luke or any man I want it to be because he chose me not because of a moral obligation. I know all about the birth control methods and between me and you I've been on the pill since me and Jeb started dating. Not that I've done anything but a just in case thing." Dixie also knew that she would really like Luke to be her first. Deep down she'd like Luke to be her only, but as close as they had gotten she still found it hard to believe he really wanted to date her.

BL was surprised by Dixie's statement but was glad she was prepared if and when she did decide go all the way.

Dixie added, "For MY sake PLEASE don't tell Daddy!"

BL agreed. She like having her cousin alive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bo and Luke had made it back to the farm well before supper time. Luke still had dirt and grease all the way up his arms. Bo called the shower first. Luke replied, "That's fine just remember I'd like some hot water too." Luke picked up the phone and asked Mae Bell to connect him to the Davenport farm. When Dixie answered Luke said, "You about done?"

Dixie brushed her hair back and said, "Yeah, I've got to fix supper but I'm done with the house stuff."

Luke said, "I just got back in from the garage. We pulled an engine today. I'll get cleaned up and eat. How about I pick you up around six?"

Dixie asked, "You've got the General?"

"Yeah, I cleaned him up while Bo was chasin' skirts in town, so I'm driving him tonight." Luke explained.

"Ok, sounds good to me. See ya then." Dixie replied.

BL just grinned, "Luke I take it?" She had watched Dixie's face light up when she heard Luke's voice.

Dixie grinned back and nodded, 'yes', "Uh huh, I got to get dinner fixed and cleaned up. He'll be here about six."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bo noticed Luke taking an unusual amount of time to clean up. What really got his attention was when Luke polished his boots. Bo opened his eyes wide in shock, "Polishing your boots?"

Luke frowned a bit, "Yeah, they need it."

"Ok, if you say so." Bo knew that Luke only polished his boots for special occassions usually. But, Luke had cleaned the General Lee up too. He had seemed in a really good mood after Bo returned to the garage today. Something was up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luke pulled up to the Davenports a couple minutes before six. Dixie had heard him coming and was out the door and in the car almost before he got stopped. Luke said, "Well, hello there. In a hurry?"

"Been cooped up in the house all day. So yes I was in a hurry." Dixie explained.

Luke grinned and pulled out heading for their normal location, the Boar's Nest. It was early yet and several people were outside hanging out. Luke and Dixie got out of the General Lee. Luke knew what was going to happen as soon as he seen the crowd still outside. Several of the guys had the hoods of their cars open. Luke heard one of them say, "Well, ask him." The other guy called, "Hey, Luke show him what's under the hood of the General Lee."

Luke turned and saw the guy in questions car. He turned back to the General Lee and said, "You don't want me to." He popped the hood.

The guy tooka look at the General's engine and replied, "You were right! Are you going to be racing him at the lake tonight? I'd love to see him run."

Luke shook his head, "I hadn't planned to, but we'll see." He said as he closed the hood and put hism arm around Dixie's waist.

Dixie said quietly as they walked toward the door of the Boar's Nest, "Was you just brushing him off? You know I can't go up to the lake."

Luke stopped outside the door and said, "Well, yes I was basicaly brushing him off, but if you want to go up and watch them run later I JUST MIGHT be able to arrange it."

"How?" Dixie asked.

Luke explained, "I had a talk with your Dad. He seems pleased with the way we've been acting. He backed your curfew up til 1am and said basically if everyone is going to the lake or there's a school dance or something he may let us go too. AND, we've lost our shadow!"

"Which shadow is that?" Dixie asked.

"He won't be expecting us fifteen minutes behind him or in front of him anymore." Luke said.

Dixie asked, "Which means?"

Luke wrapped his arms around her, bent down to her and said just before he kissed her, "That I can do this tonight and NOT have to look over my shoulder!"

Dixie replied with a smile, "Good!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cooter had the wrecker tonight. He pulled in to the Boar's Nest and parked beside the General Lee.

BL and Konrad weren't too far behind him.

B.L and Konrad weren't too far behind him. Cooter got out of the wrecker as B.L and Konrad got out of Konrad's black and yellow mustang, there was still a crowd outside with their hoods up. Konrad looked at B.L and asked silently with raised eyebrows what was the deal with all the raised hoods. B.L grinned and answered the unasked question "Ever so often we all go upto the lake and race. Some of us just go to watch."

Konrad smiled and gave the raised hoods a second glance then took B.L by the arm to have a closer look, he said "Awesome, I street race back in Atlanta." B.L walked around the cars with Konrad looking at the motors of course she'd seen all them before there was some pretty hot stuff under some of them and then not so great under others. One guy was eyeing Konrad's mustang and asked "what's under the hood?" Konrad walked back over to his car and popped the hood to give them a look. There was a murmur of ooo's and ahh's when they saw the powerful engine. The guy who had wanted to see under the hood asked "so you gonna race later hot shot?"

Konrad looked at B.L and said "am I?" B.L chuckled ever since she'd got in trouble and Luther had bounced his head off the wall multiple times, "if you want to we will Luther knows about the racing and knows we not only go watch but race he's ok with it."

Konrad accepted to race closed his hood and then he and B.L joined the rest in the Boar's Nest. They all sat together listening to Jeb's band get tuned up and ready, the guys that planned to race all had cokes and the same went for the girls who were gonna try their luck against each other and the guys.

The band played some good songs tonight, Luke and Dixie danced as did Konrad and B.L. After a few hours the people that were going upto the lake for the races slid on out of the Boar's Nest. Cooter was taking the wrecker up as usual in case they needed it tonight.

At the lake.......

At the lake several cars were beginning to show up. Those that intended to race had their hoods.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As the crew was leavign the Boar's Nest, Luke sudly walked over to Luther's table and took an empty chair while Dixie was talking to her friends, "Everyone is going up to the lake. Cooter's already gone. Are you Ok with us going up for a bit?"

Luther knew Luke was trying not to let everyone know he was asking his permission. Luther said, "What are you in tonight?"

Luke sighed just a bit but answered, "The General Lee."

Luther asked, "Are you racing tonight?"

"I really hadn't planned to." Luke replied.

Luther said, "Well, if you do, don't let Dixie ride and I'll see ya'll about 1am."

Luke nodded, "Fair enough." Luke went back over to the table where they had been setting. Dixie came back to the table and they danced another dance or two and then left.

On the way to the lake Dixie asked, "So are you going to race?"

Luke said, "This is the first time I've got you out of your Daddy's site for more than ten minutes in months. Do you think I want to spend the rest of the evening racing those clowns?"

Dixie couldn't help but feel the butterflies in her stomach. She knew that her and Luke would by no means be alone at the lake but her father wasn't 30 feet away either. "Since you put it that way, I HOPE not."

Luke parked the General Lee a bit further down the line of vehicles than he normally would have. Normally he would have parked up with Cooter, but the fact that his date just happened to be his sister made Luke want a bit of distance between them. Luke and Dixie got out of the General Lee. Luke left the hood closed as they walked up the line of cars that would be racing.

Ernie Ledbetter stepped in front of Luke. He looked from Luke to Dixie and back to Luke, before asking, "Do YOU have to ask your girlfriend IF you can race?"

Luke gave him a he-- of a look, glared at him and barked, "WHAT???? What the HE-- do you mean by THAT?"

Ledbetter laughed a bit and said, "Your cousin in that fancy Mustang had to ask HIS girlfriend IF he could RACE!!!" Ledbetter and his crew were dying laughing.

Luke replied, "Ledbetter you know me well enough that I don't ASK anyone what I can do! Now, get the he-- out of MY way!" Luke walked over to Konrad and said, "Come here a miuter Konrad." They walked over away from the others and Luke asked, "What is going on? Ledbetter just told me YOU asked BL IF you can RACE?"

Konrad ...............

Konrad said, "I didn't ASK for her permission, I'm not hen pecked! I just don't want her to get in trouble again and I don't want my head bounced off the wall by Luther Davenport again."

Luke could understand this because of his and Dixie's own situation. He didn't want to make Luther mad anymore than Konrad did. "Well just so you know Ernie Ledbetter's tellin' that ya had ta ask yer woman for permission to race."

Konrad swore "Sh-- I ain't gonna stand for that NO woman tells me what to do I was just askin' what she wanted to do mainly."

Luke chuckled and said "I know that cousin, and BL wouldn't try to tell you what to do neither she's not that kinda girl and she knows how Duke's are."

Konrad then walked back over to his car and BL gave him a strange questioning look. He smiled and said "Luke was just tellin' me that some guy named Ernie Ledbetter was sayin' sh-- about me bein' hen pecked and askin' you for permission to race."

B.L bit her lip and creased her brow glaring in Ernie's direction a few cars down the line sighing she said. "I'm sorry Konrad."

Konrad kissed her forehead and said "hey don't worry about it Luke said he was a trouble maker. I know ya wasn't tryin' to tell me what to do. I'll teach him a lesson later on the track."

The races started, Luke and Dixie were down a ways sitting on the hood of the General Lee necking and feeling nothing that would get Luke shot or Dixie in trouble. Cooter noticed the General Lee parked so far away from the rest of them and thought this was a little odd usually they were all parked close to each other racing or not.

Cooter looked at Bo, "What's with Luke parking in the next County?"

Bo looked to where the General Lee was parked. He hadn't paid any attention until Cooter mentioned it. He shrugged his shoulders and guessed, "Cooter its' got to be a bit weird dating your sister with you watching."

Cooter looked closer seeing that Luke and Dixie were on the hood of the General Lee. Luke was holding her around the waist with her setting on the hood in front of him. Cooter said, "Well, I'd look less IF I didn't think he was trying to hide something!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luke looked up and saw Konrad by his car looking like he was getting ready to race. "Dixie I need to go check on something. Why don't you go talk to BL for a few minutes?"

Caught the hint, "Yeah, sure, OK." She replied.

Luke walked up to Konrad and said, "If you are intending racing, especially Ernie Ledbetter, I got two thing to tell you. One don't get caught by Rosco. He has a tendancy to stake out here if he thinks there going to be racing. I'm broke, so don't get caught. Two, if you race Ledbetter if he sees he can't win he trys to hurt your paint so watch him cousin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Konrad listened to Luke and nodded he was checking over his engine getting ready to race. "Thanks fer the advice cousin....I don't plan on gettin' caught."

Luke patted Konrad on the shoulder with a smile "good luck"

Konrad: "thanks"

While Luke and Konrad had been talking Dixie and B.L had been talking about the guys and B.L had asked Dixie why Luke had parked so far away from the rest of them. Dixie giggled and told her it was so they could be alone. Dixie asked then "are you ridin' in the races with Konrad?"

B.L shook her head she knew if Luke raced that Luther didn't want Dixie riding with him so for Dixie's benefit she'd sit out tonight and just watch mostly, maybe next time Dixie could bring her new car and then B.L would run her a little friendly race just for the fun of it and she said as much.

"Maybe next time you can bring your car and I'll race ya a lil friendly race."

Dixie grinned and her eyes lit up at the thought of trying her skills out behind the wheel of her new car. "That'd be fun B."

Lori rolled her neck around and sighed, another bus load of men who were drafted was sent her way, she looked to them her hands behind her back, feet apart. She watched as they lined in front of her and they all whislted and looked her up and down, Lori stood straight and then yelled to them to dop and give her 20. One of the men, who were doing the push ups mumbled something and Lori got down and smirked,"Welcome to the Marines maggot."

Lori got up and watched them, when they stood they were sent to their barracks and then to the classroom, were Lori was already in there seated and waiting.

Lori proceeded to give them the speech she gave all the others before. Today they had a Sergeant, who had been there for a couple or so years, to finally be promoted to a DI.

Lori being one of the senior DIs had to promote him and at the ceremony.

She stood tall and spoke through the mic,"ATTEN--TION!!!"

Every cadet stood straight and listened. Lori began her speech,"Segeant Bryan Little is one of the most trust worthy Sergeants I know here at Camp LaJune, He is to be promoted on this day, to Drill Instructor Bryan Little, for his outstandinf valor he has shown us over the course of his time served here."

Lori looked to Bryan and then said,"Sergeant repeat after me," Lori began to say the Drill Instructor Creed,"These recruits are entrusted in my care.I will train them to the best of my ability.I will develop them into smartly disciplined, physically fit, basically trained Marines,thoroughly indoctrinated in love of Corps and Country. I will demand them, and demonstrate by my own example, the highest standards of personal conduct, morality and professional skill."

Bryan recited each line word for word and saluted Lori, Lori saluted him back shaking his hand,"Sergenat Bryan Little, you are now Drill Instructor Bryan Little.."

After the ceremony Lori went to her room and sighed, she set down after the hard days work and just thought.

Luke came back to Dixie and headed toward the wrecker, where they could see better. The nights racing had been pretty routine no wrecks, very little paint traded, no fights. Course this is the first night of the season they had raced.

Everything had been pretty much layed back until Konrad Duke and Ernie Ledbetter lined up. Konrad had left Ernie setting still. At least that's what it looked like from Luke's view. Konrad beat Ernie fair and square without incident. Right up until Konrad went to collect the money! Then, Ernie yelled, "HE JUMPED THE START!!!"

Luke moved Dixie from in front of him but stayed put. He watched Konrad.............

He watched Konrad get nose to nose with Ernie and say in a low menacing tone "I did not jump the start you're just sore cos you got whipped fair and square by a better car and driver."

Well this made Ernie even hotter and he started screaming curses at Konrad. Now Konrad didn't take kindly to being cussed for winning a race fair and square and he knew just how to handle guys like this from his street racing in Atlanta. He wadded up his fist and decked Ernie right in the nose, Ernie grabbed his nose it was bleeding he jumped on Konrad knocking him down and the fight was on. They rolled around in the dirt trading punches, B.L stood out of the way with Dixie while Luke and Cooter tried to break up the fight. Luke had Konrad and Cooter had Ernie pulling them apart just as Rosco pulls up Ernie breaks free popping Konrad right between the eyes.

Rosco stepped out of his car and waved his gun shooting up in the air and said "Allllright just hold it right there."

Everybody froze and looked at Rosco well Luke and Konrad's first instinct was to run but they didn't because Dixie and B.L was there and Luke had promised Luther he'd look after Dixie. Luke took out his keys to the General Lee and pitched them to Dixie "tell Uncle Jesse will ya?"

Dixie caught the keys and nodded with a sigh Jesse and Luther were going to kill Luke. Konrad did the same as Luke he handed B.L his keys so she could get home then Rosco cuffed them and put them in the car heading for the jail house. Dixie went to the Duke farm she was supposed to be staying with Daisy tonight is what she had told Luther. B.L got in Konrad's car and headed home.

Luke swore as he, Konad and Cooter were put downstairs. Rosco was smart enought to put Ernie upstairs!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dixie drove the General Lee to the Duke farm. She had planned on staying with Daisy. BL drove Konrads car to the farm and they all meet Bo and Daisy in the drive way. Jesse likely in bed but probably not asleep. Dixie looekd at Bo as they pulled in, "With Luke in jail, you're the oldest!"

Bo shook his head and pointed at B.L "Nuh uh she is she's same age as Luke and Lori."

BL grumbled "I hate bein' the oldest always gets Luke, Lori and Cooter in trouble."

Dixie glared at him, "But YOU live here!"

BL glared at Bo too, "Yeah YOU DO live HERE!"

Bo looked at all three girls pleading for Daisy to step in here even though she didn't know exactly what was going on yet.

Daisy threw her hands up, "Oh no Bo I don't have a clue what's going on!"

Bo sighed "Luke and Konrad and Cooter and Ernie Ledbetter got carted off to jail cos Konrad and Ernie were fighting when Rosco pulled up."

Daisy said, "Well, cousin you can plead Luke's case better than ME, I wasn't even there!"

Bo sighed and said, "Fine but, when he kills me I hope you three are happy!"

Dixie, Daisy ans BL weren't falling for his drama. They all glared at him!

Bo sighed and headed towards Jesse's room. He knocked, half hoping Jesse was asleep. No such luck. "Come in. " Jesse said. He never went ot sleep with out all his kids being home. Bo opened the door with his head hung low. He said, "Uncle Jesse, Ernie Ledbetter started trouble tonight with Konrad. Luke and Cooter TRIED to break them up. Rosco arrested all 4 of them."

Jesse turned red listening to Bo and said "Jail! if those two don't beat all. Here I thought Luke was doin' better now that he's seein' Dixie but he goes and gets hisself arrested...."

While Bo was telling Uncle Jesse the bad news the three girls had been hanging loose just inside the door. B.L spoke up then "Uncle Jesse it wasn't either one of their faults. Ernie was shootin' off his mouth and Konrad shut it fer him. Luke and Cooter was just an innocent bystander trying to stop trouble before Rosco showed up."

Dixie was nodding in agreement with B.L and said "yeah"

Jesse looked at all of them and sighed he knew he wouldn't sleep the rest of the night with them in jail. He said "well ya'll go to bed nothin' we's can do till mornin' anyway."

B.L was already making plans to get Ernie and teach him a lesson and bust Konrad, Luke and Cooter out of jail......

NOTE: The character of Konrad is not mine, nor do I have permission to use him, however, BL does have permission to use him. Any reaction or reply that I post has been supplied by BL. Thanks to his owner for allowing her to use hischaracter in our story!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As Rosco locked the cell door behind Luke and Konrad, Luke swore and added, "This is all the he-- I needed!"

"Well Buddy Row, I can't say I needed it either." Cooter said as he stood in the adjacent cell.

Konrad sank down on the bunk with a heavy sigh, it seemed every time he came to Hazzard to visit his family there he got in some sort of trouble and this time he'd got in real deep.

Luke looked as his cousin, "Cheer up, Least you didn't get caught racing!"

Konrad raised his eyes to Luke and said "that's true but i still got ARRESTED, now Luther's gonna be watching me like a hawk more than he already was"

Cooter supplied Luke's thoughts exactly, "I think we're all in the same boat there too Konrad. Only one might be safe if Luke cause he don't LIVE there!"

Luke added, "Right! I live with Jesse, and YOU think I'll get off any easier?"

Konrad nodded agreement with Cooter "Yeah we're all dead!"

Luke sighed, "Yeah that's about the way I see it!" He wondered out loud, "Bo had the pick up. I gave Dixie the keys to the General Lee. Wonder WHO drove him home?"

Cooter jumped on this one it was a no brainer who would be driving the General Lee home "Bo" Then he chuckled and said "I bet they all went back to tell Jesse what was going on cos Dix was supposed to stay with Daisy tonight is what she told Dad and B.L was too chicken to go home and tell him me and Konrad are sittin' here coolin' our heels."

Luke grinned, "I don't know Cooter, I gave Dixie the keys cause I didn't see Bo. He'll throw one more fit on me if she drove hime home. Yeah, I figure they all went back to the farm."

Cooter asked, "By the way, Luke why did you park in the next County instead of up with us like usual?"

Luke dodged the 'real' question and answered, "We came up and set with you didn't we?"

Cooter shook his head 'yes', "But that's not what I asked."

Luke thought and then grinned at Cooter, "Same reason I don't tell you about MY dates anymore. Didn't figure you wanted see us anymore than you'd want to hear about us together."

Back at the Duke farm B.L and Dixie and Daisy were all in Daisy's room talking. B.L was still trying to figure out a way to bust Luke, Cooter and Konrad out of jail. Dixie noticed the look on her cousin's face and asked "What's rollin' around in yer head I can see the wheels turnin from here."

B.L sat up on the bed indian style and said "Well I was thinking about going in there and bustin' the boys out."

Dixie and Daisy both was shaking their heads 'no'. It wasn't gonna be easy to get the guys out of jail but to get them out and keep Jesse and or Luther from knowing they'd been broke out was near impossible. Daisy said

"Uncle Jesse'd throw a fit if you did that he'll go get 'em in the mornin' and besides if Rosco catches you then he'll put you in jail too and that's not gonna solve anything."

Dixie added "Dad's already been watching you and Konrad and me and Luke he'll be watching even closer now and would be even worse if you got arrested too. B.L please don't do anything stupid to make Dad crack down on me and Luke again." Dixie was practically begging B.L not to get herself or the fellas in anymore trouble.

B.L finally nodded "Ya'll are right, ain't gonna do nobody no good if I get myself in trouble too."