A Few Good Bad Guys

MaryAnne

The boys were still listening to Julie talk about the upcoming race when another vehicle casually passed it on the road. The driver had decided a trip to Atlanta was in order to find out more about Jack Morrison.

*Twenty minutes later, that automobile is now parked next to Dixie on the old schoolhouse grounds. Two brown haired women are standing by the building in discussion. The one having made a phone call, rather than drive to the city. Daisy had been on her way back from an errand when she saw her cousin driving toward the property.*

“We should probably go see if there any updates.†*Daisy suggests*

“Ok.†*her cousin agrees*

*Makes way over to the car then looks at Brian*

We have to get in this way, and besides its too late to hide, he probably saw the handcuffs. *then walks around to the driver side and opens it*

You slide in first then I will. *watches as Brian slides in then turns to the side and gets into the car as well, giving a grin then leaning over and gets the wires, touching the two together, the engine hesitating at first but then kicks over*

Stolen cop car or not we know the backroads around here good enough to make it back into town in a quiet, sneaky way. Let's go back to Hazzard Square and find Diablo. How's that sound?

*turns to look at Brian*

*slides across the front seat with difficulty, thanks to the console including a CB radio and the kind of clutter most cop cars are known for. Leans back in the passenger seat and stares daggers at Alex, holding up own handcuffed, left wrist*

"Alex, if you don't have a key for these thangs in five seconds, I'm gonna shoot 'em apart. I am not stayin' handcuffed to you. Maybe you think yer bein' loyal and all that...but when you get in my way this bad, you're treadin' on dangerous turf. No more "rescues", Alex. No more cute stunts to keep yourself attached to my every move. Or you will be reminded why I'm the number one bad guy around heah...."

*gives Alex a cold stare, while reaching into own jacket for the snub-nosed .38 that's kept within the inner pocket*

*slides across the front seat with difficulty, thanks to the console including a CB radio and the kind of clutter most cop cars are known for. Leans back in the passenger seat and stares daggers at Alex, holding up own handcuffed, left wrist*

"Alex, if you don't have a key for these thangs in five seconds, I'm gonna shoot 'em apart. I am not stayin' handcuffed to you. Maybe you think yer bein' loyal and all that...but when you get in my way this bad, you're treadin' on dangerous turf. No more "rescues", Alex. No more cute stunts to keep yourself attached to my every move. Or you will be reminded why I'm the number one bad guy around heah...."

*gives Alex a cold stare, while reaching into own jacket for the snub-nosed .38 that's kept within the inner pocket*

*Sees the daggers in the gaze from Brian and returns it, dark eyes holding an intensity to them, the mouth tightening a moment then reaches into pocket and take out the tiny silver handcuff key and holds it up, then gets Brian's wrist and uncuffs it, then unlocks own wrist, then puts the cuffs in jacket pocket...*

Cute stunt? Do you really think this is a stunt Brian? Well its not. Have you really stopped and thought a moment about who we're dealing with here?? This is a cop Brian. You and I have dealt with jerk bad guys in the past but a cop is a whole different ballgame and you know it! He's got the law on his side and a badge that is a license to kick butt wherever and whenever and to whomever he wants! MaryAnne knows this is serious Brian and she wants me to help you. She gave me a choice and I chose, I chose to help you. *stops a moment, wiping hand over face, then once again focuses attention on Brian*

If this cop succeeds in getting his revenge I'm going to have to face MaryAnne and look into her eyes and tell her that her attempt to help you failed. That I failed not only her but you too.

*closes eyes a moment then turns to look out the window*

If something happens to you, MaryAnne would have to live with that for the rest of her life and so would I.

*voice low then squeezes eyes shut at that, not wanting to even let thoughts stray to such a horrible possibility...*takes a deep breath then once again turns to face Brian, dark eyes holding a slight sheen to them*

I can't just walk away and hope and pray that all this works out Brian. I made a promise a long time ago that I'd be by your side no matter what.

If the situation was reversed you wouldn't let me face this cop alone. You'd do everything you could to try and help me. Let me do the same for you. *swallows hard a moment* please...

*Sees the daggers in the gaze from Brian and returns it, dark eyes holding an intensity to them, the mouth tightening a moment then reaches into pocket and take out the tiny silver handcuff key and holds it up, then gets Brian's wrist and uncuffs it, then unlocks own wrist, then puts the cuffs in jacket pocket...*

Cute stunt? Do you really think this is a stunt Brian? Well its not. Have you really stopped and thought a moment about who we're dealing with here?? This is a cop Brian. You and I have dealt with jerk bad guys in the past but a cop is a whole different ballgame and you know it! He's got the law on his side and a badge that is a license to kick butt wherever and whenever and to whomever he wants! MaryAnne knows this is serious Brian and she wants me to help you. She gave me a choice and I chose, I chose to help you. *stops a moment, wiping hand over face, then once again focuses attention on Brian*

If this cop succeeds in getting his revenge I'm going to have to face MaryAnne and look into her eyes and tell her that her attempt to help you failed. That I failed not only her but you too.

*closes eyes a moment then turns to look out the window*

If something happens to you, MaryAnne would have to live with that for the rest of her life and so would I.

*voice low then squeezes eyes shut at that, not wanting to even let thoughts stray to such a horrible possibility...*takes a deep breath then once again turns to face Brian, dark eyes holding a slight sheen to them*

I can't just walk away and hope and pray that all this works out Brian. I made a promise a long time ago that I'd be by your side no matter what.

If the situation was reversed you wouldn't let me face this cop alone. You'd do everything you could to try and help me. Let me do the same for you. *swallows hard a moment* please...

Julie says "Oh Bo, here's Daisy and Daney coming and Uncle Jesse is coming from the otherside as well. You know how to get to me big brother don't you!"

Luke says "Okay, don't get mad at your brother he didn't radio Uncle Jesse it was me beside you remind me of Bo at your age wanting to do everything and doesn't care what happens. What is that cop would've came before we got there and they he wanted to arrest you for distraction him while he was trying to get Brian that is serious charges Julie."

Bo says "Oh come on Luke, my sister just reacted to seeing her friend get shot at and that's all and even thow Brian is a Coltrane I see don't know what you see in him he never gives the time of day."

Julie says "Oh that's it I'm riding back with Uncle Jesse I don't care Brian is cute the Hell if he is Rosco and Maryanne's cousin I don't check somebody's last name before I start liking them and besides didn't Daisy almost marry Hughie Hogg and Cletus Hogg as well."

Luke says "That's different anyways besides your the baby of the family and he just don't want you with a Coltrane and that is all quit overreacting to what Bo is saying."

Julie says "Excuse Luke, I'm almost eighteen years old and old enough to make my own decisions as well besides Brian is sweet and he likes me he just has to see that I'm a good person. And finally I don't care if his last name was mudd he's cute!!!!!"

Balladeer: I think Bo and Luke are at stand still with Julie here, he sure is stubborn I wonder where she gets that from.

Julie says "Oh Bo, here's Daisy and Daney coming and Uncle Jesse is coming from the otherside as well. You know how to get to me big brother don't you!"

Luke says "Okay, don't get mad at your brother he didn't radio Uncle Jesse it was me beside you remind me of Bo at your age wanting to do everything and doesn't care what happens. What is that cop would've came before we got there and they he wanted to arrest you for distraction him while he was trying to get Brian that is serious charges Julie."

Bo says "Oh come on Luke, my sister just reacted to seeing her friend get shot at and that's all and even thow Brian is a Coltrane I see don't know what you see in him he never gives the time of day."

Julie says "Oh that's it I'm riding back with Uncle Jesse I don't care Brian is cute the Hell if he is Rosco and Maryanne's cousin I don't check somebody's last name before I start liking them and besides didn't Daisy almost marry Hughie Hogg and Cletus Hogg as well."

Luke says "That's different anyways besides your the baby of the family and he just don't want you with a Coltrane and that is all quit overreacting to what Bo is saying."

Julie says "Excuse Luke, I'm almost eighteen years old and old enough to make my own decisions as well besides Brian is sweet and he likes me he just has to see that I'm a good person. And finally I don't care if his last name was mudd he's cute!!!!!"

Balladeer: I think Bo and Luke are at stand still with Julie here, he sure is stubborn I wonder where she gets that from.

*Luke glances at Bo* “Is Dr. Walker’s office open?â€

“I don’t know,†*the blond replies* “Why?†*He inquires*

“You two could use vision and hearing exams,†*Luke grins* “No one was shot at…â€

“Well-†*Bo starts. Jesse approaches the General Lee and stares pass his boys at Julie. All sorts of speculation had run through the elder Duke’s mind about why this city fella was after Brian.*

“I’d hate to have to see Rosco or MaryAnne arrest their cousin because of my kin,†*Jesse speaks calmly.* “We will get involved if someone makes a verbal request.†*He looks up the road at his two older nieces driving toward town.*

“Hey, maybe we should all hang out at the garage?†*Bo suggests*

“Yeah,†*Luke agrees*

“Cooter might even have some work for y’all,†*Jesse laughs. He winks at Julie.* "You can get yer car back sooner."

* Meanwhile, back in the stolen Caprice....*

"Alex, that was a very nice speechify, and I dig all that. I know you just wanna help. But you can't fight this battle for me. You can't just wisk me away from it."

*buckles seat belt* "Now, if you wanna help me, take me back to town, sneaky-like. And if yer interested in my advice, I'd suggest you turn this car in to MaryAnne, and then run like hell."

* Meanwhile, back in the stolen Caprice....*

"Alex, that was a very nice speechify, and I dig all that. I know you just wanna help. But you can't fight this battle for me. You can't just wisk me away from it."

*buckles seat belt* "Now, if you wanna help me, take me back to town, sneaky-like. And if yer interested in my advice, I'd suggest you turn this car in to MaryAnne, and then run like hell."

*sighs putting the car into gear then fastens own seat belt* I'm not trying to hide you from that cop, and I don't want to fight it for you, I want to fight it with you Brian. If that cop is still lurking around I can't just take this car to the courthouse, it was MaryAnne's idea I steal it in the first place and that cop will probably try and get her in trouble.

*turns the car and heads down a backroad, heading towards Hazzard Square...looks down at the CB radio*

Maybe we can contact her? Have her meet us and find out where that cop is?

*turns to look at Brian briefly before focusing attention back on the road*

*sighs putting the car into gear then fastens own seat belt* I'm not trying to hide you from that cop, and I don't want to fight it for you, I want to fight it with you Brian. If that cop is still lurking around I can't just take this car to the courthouse, it was MaryAnne's idea I steal it in the first place and that cop will probably try and get her in trouble.

*turns the car and heads down a backroad, heading towards Hazzard Square...looks down at the CB radio*

*Julie looks at Cooter, Bo and her cousins and she says "I don't like it seems that Alex and Brian are in awful lot of trouble I wonder what Brian did in Atlanta lately, that the cop would come all the way to Hazzard for."

*listens to Alex, showing some surprise* "MaryAnne told you to steal Lieutenant Morrison's car? She musta wanted to stall him. Bless her badge-covered heart!"

*decides to take Alex's advice - for once - and picks up the CB, and turns the dial to the Hazzard County police frequency.*

"We're running a risk in callin' her, Alex...'cause if mah determined enemy hears the broadcast, he'll know without a doubt that she's in cahoots with us. Somethin' tells me though, that the cat's already outta the bag on that one."

*holds the microphone button down with thumb and calls out to Hazzard's rowdiest Deputy* "Blackbird to Songbird, do you read me? Songbird, come in please."

*waits anxiously for the response, worrying that MaryAnne may have already gotten herself into a heap of trouble with the Atlanta law...*

*listens to Alex, showing some surprise* "MaryAnne told you to steal Lieutenant Morrison's car? She musta wanted to stall him. Bless her badge-covered heart!"

*decides to take Alex's advice - for once - and picks up the CB, and turns the dial to the Hazzard County police frequency.*

"We're running a risk in callin' her, Alex...'cause if mah determined enemy hears the broadcast, he'll know without a doubt that she's in cahoots with us. Somethin' tells me though, that the cat's already outta the bag on that one."

*holds the microphone button down with thumb and calls out to Hazzard's rowdiest Deputy* "Blackbird to Songbird, do you read me? Songbird, come in please."

*waits anxiously for the response, worrying that MaryAnne may have already gotten herself into a heap of trouble with the Atlanta law...*

*nods to Brian* Yes she told me to steal the cop car. Then we met up at Willows Corners and that's when she gave me the choice of being the ultimate bad guy or to help you. *smiles as Brian decides to call the Deputy, expression showing some relief at that, but then the look fades some and the blond man nods...*

Yeah I know its a danger getting in touch with her, but she's already put herself in enough of it by having me steal this car. *Watches as Brian picks up the CB mike and makes the call, the smile returning to his face*

Blackbird and Songbird?

*chuckles a little, then looks at the mic in Brian's hand, hoping MaryAnne is going to answer and that she's all right*

*After picking up MaryAnne's patrol car, she and Rosco were on their way back to town, the two Plymouth Fury's moving along at a brisk clip. MaryAnne picked up her mike and answered*

*there was relief in the deputy's voice* "This is Songbird, I read you."

*Julie looks at Cooter, Bo and her cousins and she says "I don't like it seems that Alex and Brian are in awful lot of trouble I wonder what Brian did in Atlanta lately, that the cop would come all the way to Hazzard for."

*After hearing MaryAnne reply through the cb grapevine, Jesse places his hand on Julie's back.* "It may not have been recent." *He suggests and pats her back.* "I know it's hard to wait, *He pats her back again* "If anyone can get information out of Enos or Cletus, it's Daisy."

Balladeer: If Jack doesn't have enough for bail, I'm thinking some of the town folk might just assist him...

*steps out of patrol car at the Sheriff's command and allows self to be placed under arrest. Rosco removes the 9mm handgun from Jack's shoulder holster and then places handcuffs on the lieutenant's wrists*

"You have the right to remain silent..."

"Are the handcuffs really necessary, Sheriff?"

"Hush." *Rosco resumes the Miranda warnings and then Jack to his patrol car and places him in back. MaryAnne meanwhile has secured her patrol car and locked it. She and Rosco would come back for it once Jack has been placed in jail. A few moments later, Rosco's patrol car leads the way with Maverick following back to town.*

*back at the sheriff's office, Rosco puts Jack in the holding cell. The Lieutenant looks at Rosco through the bars after the door is shut*

"All right Sheriff, what are the charges?"

"How's stealing county property and assaulting an officer sound for starters?"

*blinks* "You play hardball, I see."

"I can play a pretty good game of dirty pool when I have to. Here's the deal. We'll get your car back for you and then I'll set bail. And assuming you can pay it, you'll be allowed to leave. You leave and never come back, I'll drop the charges."

"I see your reputation as a fair and honest lawman has remained intact despite the rumours..."

*Rosco ignores the comment* "That's the deal. For now, you sit. MaryAnne and I have to go get her patrol car. We'll be back."

*watches the two officers leave. With a sigh, he turned and sat down on the wooden bench. He had a feeling he was going to be here for quite a spell.*

*Having watched events unfold, walks over, keeping 3 foot distance from jail cell and the cop.* So tell me, what are the charges against Brian Coltrane, and what exactly did he do to you to ruffle ya tail feathers, tail feathers that are startin' to look about as dark as his. *Crosses arms* IF you tell me, I MIGHT make it worth your while....*Has no plans on breaking this guy out, instead will tell him about magazine and puzzle book stash*

*After hearing MaryAnne reply through the cb grapevine, Jesse places his hand on Julie's back.* "It may not have been recent." *He suggests and pats her back.* "I know it's hard to wait, *He pats her back again* "If anyone can get information out of Enos or Cletus, it's Daisy."

Balladeer: If Jack doesn't have enough for bail, I'm thinking some of the town folk might just assist him...

Julie says "Uncle Jesse, I wonder that Brian promised he went clean and he wouldn't do anything wrong anymore and now this what am I going to do now. I think I'm going to go where they are meeting and see what is going on right now, I was going to take my car since Cooter has it all fixed up and gassed up for me."

*Having watched events unfold, walks over, keeping 3 foot distance from jail cell and the cop.* So tell me, what are the charges against Brian Coltrane, and what exactly did he do to you to ruffle ya tail feathers, tail feathers that are startin' to look about as dark as his. *Crosses arms* IF you tell me, I MIGHT make it worth your while....*Has no plans on breaking this guy out, instead will tell him about magazine and puzzle book stash*

*still sitting on the bench in the holding cell, looks at the young woman and gives a rueful snort* "Young lady, I would recommend you not be an accessory to anything, whether it be for me or for Brian." *gets up and walks to the bars* "However, the law and other folks in this town have made it pretty clear where they stand and I doubt there's anything you could do that would make it worth my while to tell you what Brian did to ruffle my tail feathers. I expected little help or sympathy by coming here, but justice doesn't care about making friends."

*turns back to the bench, pausing a moment to remove his blue suit jacket before sitting back down. His empty shoulder holster was strapped over his vest. He didn't look at Lex again and instead focused on one of the bricks in the wall across from him*

Julie says "Uncle Jesse, I wonder that Brian promised he went clean and he wouldn't do anything wrong anymore and now this what am I going to do now. I think I'm going to go where they are meeting and see what is going on right now, I was going to take my car since Cooter has it all fixed up and gassed up for me."

“Maybe we should try communicating on the cb first,†*Jesse suggests, he reiterates* “Communicating on the cb first.â€

*still sitting on the bench in the holding cell, looks at the young woman and gives a rueful snort* "Young lady, I would recommend you not be an accessory to anything, whether it be for me or for Brian." *gets up and walks to the bars* "However, the law and other folks in this town have made it pretty clear where they stand and I doubt there's anything you could do that would make it worth my while to tell you what Brian did to ruffle my tail feathers. I expected little help or sympathy by coming here, but justice doesn't care about making friends."

*turns back to the bench, pausing a moment to remove his blue suit jacket before sitting back down. His empty shoulder holster was strapped over his vest. He didn't look at Lex again and instead focused on one of the bricks in the wall across from him*

*Someone else comes into the police station* “Hey Lex,†*Daisy greets Cletus’s pretty sister. She notices the man that Danielle, Julie and others have spoken about.*

*After picking up MaryAnne's patrol car, she and Rosco were on their way back to town, the two Plymouth Fury's moving along at a brisk clip. MaryAnne picked up her mike and answered*

*there was relief in the deputy's voice* "This is Songbird, I read you."

"Songbird, I've got a cuckoo with me who says you told 'em to ....uh, move a car for you." *issues the bent truth as to not incriminate anyone over the air* "There's some confusion, tho', on where 'zactly we outta put it now. Last I knew, the tapwater in town was runnin' hot, so if you got any advice...we're all ears."

*with this carefully phrased statement given, hopes that MaryAnne can provide some idea of where things stand, without incriminating herself in the process. Wonders privately if the Deputy would be the one winning the "Bad Guy" contest before this was all over...*

“Maybe we should try communicating on the cb first,†*Jesse suggests, he reiterates* “Communicating on the cb first.â€

*Someone else comes into the police station* “Hey Lex,†*Daisy greets Cletus’s pretty sister. She notices the man that Danielle, Julie and others have spoken about.*

*looks at the Lt and shakes head.* Saying something is worth your while doesn't mean someone's gonna do something illegal. I Wasn't gonna do anything illegal, just offer you something they do actually allow in the big house. I was just gonna offer you a way to pass the time through keeping that mind of yours occupied through reading and puzzle books. *shrugs* I know how those ol' cells can be when it comes to bordom. No TV, no music, nothing to really entertain yourself. *shrugs again* Oh well, your loss. Last time I take sympathy on a dumb city slicker that don't live in Hazzard *looks over at Daisy and smiles.* Hey Daisy! How's Cooter and your kin? They need any help with anything?

"Songbird, I've got a cuckoo with me who says you told 'em to ....uh, move a car for you." *issues the bent truth as to not incriminate anyone over the air* "There's some confusion, tho', on where 'zactly we outta put it now. Last I knew, the tapwater in town was runnin' hot, so if you got any advice...we're all ears."

*with this carefully phrased statement given, hopes that MaryAnne can provide some idea of where things stand, without incriminating herself in the process. Wonders privately if the Deputy would be the one winning the "Bad Guy" contest before this was all over...*

*thinks about how much to reveal over the radio. Decides that the less that is spoken, the better.* "Bear and I are on our way back to town now, once he leaves off his car we can pick up that other one. Meet us at the Boar's Nest."

*thinks about how much to reveal over the radio. Decides that the less that is spoken, the better.* "Bear and I are on our way back to town now, once he leaves off his car we can pick up that other one. Meet us at the Boar's Nest."

*looks at Brian a moment, eyebrows going up, but then can't help but chuckle* Yeah stealing a cop's car at the direction of another cop, yeah I guess that does qualify me as a cuckoo.

*hears MaryAnne respond and sighs in relief then glances at Brian again* Boars Nest huh? *turns the wheel, the car turning, now heading in the direction of the Boars Nest*

Well she doesn't sound like she's in trouble...*turns to look at Brian* Question now is where's that cop?