Springtime Romances and Tragedies

LoriDavenport

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lori looked to her grandma then to B.L. and said,"Uncle Luther B.L knocked me down the stairs and well i hit grandma!!"

Luther turned to look to B.L and pointed to the woodshed, Lori was laughing and going on going back up the stairs. Dixie had invited Lori to her room, since it was right by Cooter's. Lori strutted by, Luke noticed so did Bo notice Dixie... he just couldn't pick, it was either B.L. or Dixie.

Lori went in Dixie's room and started laughing!! Dixie sighed and said,"Wanna drive em nuts?"

Lori smirked,"You know it."

Dixie pulled out the one song that Cooter was sick and tired of hearing and she popped the cassette in her stereo and played it over and over. Lori giggled as she could hear everything the boys talked about.........

Out in the woodshed B.L was frantically pleading her case

"Uncle Luther I swear I didn't mean to knock Grandma down. Lori had her radio up real loud and I was trying to get her to turn it down."

Luther sighed and looked to the ceiling of the woodshed wondering 'why me' then relented and sent B.L back inside. B.L went straight to her room she could hear Lori and Dixie aggrevating the boys.

Grandma Davenport had had enough of the three girls actions. Like she had told Dixie she had dealt with young wayward girls for years! She would speak to Luther in the morning.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Beside the girls room Luke looked at Cooter hopeful, "I hope you have a large supple of COLD water!

Cooter had forgotten about Luther's bet with Luke and looked at him confused.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Grandma Davenport spoke with Luther the next morning, "You know I have connections and can see to it that all three girls are locked up until their wedding nights!" Grandma threatened.

Luther sighed, "Let's see how the rest of the month plays out. If that Luke Duke comes too near Lori I'll help ya stop him from doing it again!"

Grandma sipped her hot tea and smiled!

Lori came out of Dixie's room that morning and was heading in to the shower, unaware of the already occupied shower, Luke stepped out and had nothing on, Lori gasped and closed her eyes,"IM SOOO SORRY LUKE!!"

Breathing hard, "Ah, Lori. Ummmmm, " about that time they are caught!

Luther ran up as Luke grabbed a towel and wrapped it around him.

"I knew it!!!"

Lori began to cry,"Uncle Luther please!!! I SWEAR TO THE GOOD LORD ABOVE WE DIDN'T DO NOTHING!!! I BARGED IN ON HIM!!! PLEASE DON'T MAKE HIM LEAVE!!!"

Luther looked to his mother, "Do you stil have that chasity belt handy? I think We're gonna need it before th months up! But, FOR NOW, LOREN I suggest youlet Lucas finish his shower. If I wasn't SO Sure you'd BOTH loose this bet I'd let her lock you UP right NOW! I'm ashamed to have a niece act like you have been!"

Luther continued, "Lucas, I'm seriously considerign talking to JEsse about castration for YOU!"

Luke swallowed hard and didn't say a WORD!

Lori then once more shook her head and pushed passed Luther cussing him for all he was worth, she slammed her door so hard it busted the living room window.

Luther then went to her room and screamed at her,"WOODSHED NOW!!!"

Lori muttered cuss words and headed out the door Luther would say a bible verse and beat her.

Lori walked back in seeing that it had only cracked the winder and not done too much damage, she felt the tingle on her butt but it didnt hurt that bad.

Lori went to the bathroom and saw that it was unoccupied and took a cold cold shower.

When she got out Bo and Luke were at Cooter's door looking to one another, Bo had made several attempts last night to get into B.L.'s room, and couldn't.

Luke looked to Lori and whispered,"Sorry darlin I got ya whipped."

Lori smiled and said,"It was wellll worth it honey."

Lori winked to Luke and adjusted the towel around her, going to her room.

Bo and Luke headed for the farm..

Bo and Luke headed for the farm. Luke was just glad to have exscaped with his family jewels! He looked at Bo and stated, "You know, I ain't never gonna make a month!"

Bo said exasperately, "LUKE! You goy to! Luther will see to it you don't ever get to be with Lori again!"

Luke sighed, "Don't remind me Bo, huh?"

Bo replied, "Somebody better be reminding you!"

Luke knew he was right. He said, "Sorry, Bo I know ya mean well."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lori found her behind to hurt alot worse as the day wore on, with Grandma sure to make her day torture.

Grandma Davenport had her things packed and was ready to leave, Dixie being the only one outside bidding her farewell. Lori started rubbin her behind walking downstairs today, it started to burn and burn each more. B.L. snickered and ran past Lori down the stairs. Lori sighed and stepped towards the door, hearing her grandma,"Now Dixie, you tell Lori and B.L. if they don't stop the way they act i'll lock em up! ohh and be a dear and keep an eye on them"

Dixie smirked and looked to the house,"With pleasure.."

Lori looked to B.L. and said,"They ain't no way on God's green earth im staying here today.."

B.L. nodded, hearing the comments too, seeing the car leave and Dixie come on the porch, B.L. and Lori made their way to the back porch leaving in a hurry. They ran around the front of the house and climbed in their vehicles, Dixie was old enoug to be left at home by herself.

The two girls took outta their in an all fired hurry and sped on towards the garage.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At the garage Cooter was in under a car when the two girls pulled up. They parked thier cars around in an alley beside the garage, to hide from Dixie case she came looking for them, which she would.

Lori looked to Cooter and said,"The old hags leavin today, thank God. Too bad I CAN'T CELEBRATE."

B.L. smirked and sarcastically said,"I sure do hate that fer ye cousin."

Lori smacked her in the back of the head, taking her jacket off to help Cooter.

B.L. set in a chair and leaned back soon taking a nap.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At the farm Bo and Luke had their morning chores done and decided to take a run into town to see the new shipment of parts that Luther had in.

When they pulled in at Cooter's, Luke sighed and said,"SHES EVERYWHERE!!!, I EVEN HEAR HER NOW!!!"

Lori stopped singing and looked to Luke like her lost his mind saying as she crawled back in under the car,"That's cause im right here Luke..."

Cooter rolled his eyes and smiled,"What ya needin'"

Bo smiled and followed Cooter to the back to check the prices and the shipments out.

Luke, however stayed were Lori was, knowing that all eyes were on him and her right now, he could feel them burning a hole through him.

Lori whistled and rolled out from in under the car, she got up and cleaned herself off,"Luke, uhh...after this bet, is, ah, over with and all..and we, ah, you know you, uhh, is that it? everything else thats ever happened between us, just that, memories..gone..like they never exsisted... cause if all yer wanting from me aftr this bet is just THAT, sure ill give it to you..sometimes.... but Luke I can't stand to know that there IS something there, everyone sees it, Uncle Jesse, Luther, Cooter... but it's just you...and I'm not saying that in a bad way either its just...I know yer hurt over, ah, well you know Robin and stuff and you probably don't want to get invovled with another girl like that....and I swear Luke I won't pressure you to do something that you don't want to...he-- I ain't ready to settle down myself either, but its apparent that a girl at my age, SHOULD be thinking of marriage, cause if not and yer only thinking of fun, then yer considered bad, in grandma's eyes anyways."

Luke............

B.L had woke up from her nap but was still just sitting leaned back in the chair listening to all the sounds in the garage around her. Sitting up though she looked at Lori with a smirk and said

"Well cuz grandma already thinks me an' you is the two baddest girls around cos we do think of fun."

Lori couldn't help grinning a little at the thought she was bad and said "Me worse than you."

Chuckling B.L had to agree there she was still gonna get Dixie though all this torture had been her fault because she blabbed to Grandma playing the innocent little angel as always. Grinning wickedly B.L thought if Grandma really only knew that Dixie hasn't been as good as she pretended. Cooter and Bo came back to the rest after looking at the new parts Cooter raised his eyebrows questioningly at B.L's wicked grin.

Luke.......

Luke sighed and looked at Lori. He knew BL, Cooter and Bo would be hanging on his every word. "Look Lori I don't know why Luther felt so compelled to bet me anyway. It was Vance you had been with that night not me." Luke saw in her eyes that part of what she was talking about was just what he had said. He had tried to tell her what he wanted several times before but she didn't listen or just didn't want to hear. Maybe she felt like the bet would change things. Then, Luke thought, 'maybe the bet had or would change things.' He decided that there was still over three weeks of this bet to go so he decided to see if he made it that long. Luke finished by saying, "There's a lot left of the month. How about we get through it first and then we talk?" Luke knew it was crazy as he-- but this crazy bet was making him want even more what he couldn't have --Lori. It was driving him just a bit crazy.

Lori even found that she was thinking more about being with Luke since the bet was made than she ever had before.

Lori smiled and looked to Luke,"Anything thats worth having honey, is worth waiting for."

Luke had to agree and since the bet, he thougth she WAS worth it, and she always had been. Luke smiled to her and winked,"Aint it the truth darlin, aint it the truth.."

Truth was he didn't know if he could last another night let along the rest of the month to be with her!

Lori could hear over the CB in the wrecker someone needed a tow at Kissin' cliff.

Lori kissed Luke on the end of the nose and took the keys from Cooter,"Im going...Dixie'll come lookin fer me and I dont wanna go back ta that woodshed!"

B.L. smirked and said,"Hurts like a son of a bi*** don't it?"

Lori nodded,"You can say that again!"

Lori climbed in and pulled out going to kissin cliff.

~~

Bo and Luke got the parts they needed and went back to the farm.

~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile Lori was at Kissin Cliff, stunned at who it was stepping out of the car. Billy Ray Johnson, her Billy Ray, from the Marines.. Lori swallowed as the tall, sandy-brown, muscular, green-eyed man stood to the side. When she stepped out. Billy Ray smiled and ran to her hugging her,"Lor!!! its you!!"

Lori smiled and patted his back,"Yea..its just little me.."

Billy Ray smiled as she hooked this car up to the wrecker, she got on the CB to B.L. to were he couldn't hear.

"Whiskey Bent to Sweet talker you got yer ears on?"

B.L. picked up the CB from her car,"This is sweet talker whats wrong?"

"Well I've got a tall, sandy-brown, green eyed, muscular problem thats what."

"Sounds more like a dream ta me cousin and not a problem...unless its...ohh.OH!! its Billy Ray aint it?"

Lori sighed and shook her head, sometimes her cousin could be a little slow,"Yea cousin it is....God what am I gonna do?"

B.L. laughed and said,"Well.... ya can wait fer Luke or ya can go with Billy Ray, is it really that hard?"

Lori thought on it, Luke was her first love..but Billy Ray had wanted to marry her, But then there was Luke that shed desired for since this bet, well since fer ever really...

Lori muttered,"Dang it yes!"

B.L. said,"Well just do yer job and get back here with yer clothes intact!!"

Lori rolled her eyes and hung the CB reciever up. They climbed in the wrecker and went to the garage..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At the Duke farm Bo noticed the look Luke had on his face, it was a confusing, frustrating sorta look.

Bo looked to his cousin and asked in concern,"Cousin go tsomething eatin at ya?"

Luke looked to Bo and said.........

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dixie meanwhile.......

Dixie meanwhile had went over to the Duke farm to see Bo she liked him and knew he liked her ALOT. Bo looked up from where him and Luke sat talking on the doorstep when Dixie pulled up. He got up off the step and made his way to her car as she got out.

Bo: "Hey Dix"

Dixie: "Hey Bo"

Bo: "How are ya?"

Dixie: "I'm fine, how are you?"

Bo: "I'm fine" Truth was he was getting a little hot. Luke shook his head at the two and left them to themselves going inside for a cold shower. Bo took Dixie's hand and led her off toward the barn. In the barn he led her up to the loft, before long clothes were strewn all around them and soft giggles and moans could be heard. Unknown to the two Uncle Jesse needed some jars for a shipment of shine and when he came into the barn he heard the noises. Now normally he wouldn't spy just let his prescense be known but he thought it might be Luke breaking the bet so he climed the ladder the sight that met his eyes nearly gave the Duke patriarch a heart attack.

"WHAT IN TARNATION IS GOING ON HERE??!!!!"

Bo s crambled to his feet, giving Dixie her clothes to put on, him puttign his on too. Uncle Jesse sent them both to the woodshed and beat them til they were black and blue. He sent them in the house whilst he got on the phone to Luther, who was now raging!

Luke looked to the two and shook his head,"Great going Bo!!! You are aware now no matter what the bet or anything!! I cant see Lori again, neithe rone of us will be able to see another Davenport girl as long as we live!!"

Bo swallowed hard at the reality of not getting able to see Lori. B.L., or Dixie.

Luther arrived jerking Dixie up from her seat, he had just recently got home and trusted her to keep an eye on her OLDER cousins!! Luther led her to her car and got Bo and Luke out to talk to them both..

"Boys, I don't know what it is with you and my girls, but whatever the case may be.... it'll cost ya, now I can't keep ya away from them at school or even the house, Cooter needs the help to keep them outta trouble... But I want you to stay at a distance from them!! im not asking you to stay completley away, just at a distance, you can look but denfinently NO TOUCHING!! Luke, I know me and you still has that bet going.... which you have to stay away from Lori no matter what..temptation and all...Boys Im warnin ya, next time there wont be no talk!"

Luther made his point clear as he walked to his vehicle and followed Dixie home.

Luke smacked Bo rigth in back of the head and said,"GREAT GOING YOU DUMMY!!! WE GOTTA STAY AT A "DISTANCE" FROM THEM NOW!!! I ORTA KILL YOU!!"

Luke stormed in the house, Bo sighed and followed him in pleaing his case.......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile as B.L saw Billy Ray and Lori pull up........

Bo sighed and followed him in pleaing his case, "Luke WE DIDN'T DO NOTHING!

Yeah, we were messing around, but that's ALL!"

Luke stopped dead, turned to face Bo, and glared, "THAT information MAY have made Jesse and Luther a bit HAPPIER had you bothered to SHARE that information with them."

Bo said weakly, "They really didn't give me a chance."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dixie knew that now was not the best time to tell Luther that nothing had really happened between her and Bo either. She knew to expect a whipping at home too. If Jesse had seen the need to whip them, then Luther would feel the need to reinforce the message again. For the moment she was just glad not to be being yelled at!

Luke sat down and sighed, he knew now that getting close to Lori or remotely seeing her was now destroyed thanks to his cousin.

~~~~~~~~~

Luther got her home and beat her again. No one was home, figures.. he knew theyd be to the garage if anywhere.

And they were. Billy Ray and Lori gettin aquainted and B.L. and Cooter wincing, they could already see the hurt in Luke's eyes.. B.L. sighed,"The sheep dip'll hit the fan now cousin.."

Cooter nodded,"Yer tellin me."

Billy Ray smiled to Lori and said,"My ohhh my Loren..... the marines did you a whoole he-- alot of gooood."

Lori blushed and said,"Yea well so I've been told."

Billy Ray referred back to the night he asked her to marry him,"So.... you give that question a thought?? or say an answer?"

Lori sighed and said,"Well I dont really know Billy Ray..."

Billy Ray nodded and smiled to her,"Take yer time I can wait..."

Lori sighed and hoped he could.

Luke had about had it with everythign that was going on with Lori and now Bo and Dixie. He planned on finishing his chores and asking Jesse if he could head out for a cold one at hte Boar's Nest. He sorta hoped Cindy Mae wouldn't be there and that maybe Luther had grounded all the girls from the Boar's Nest. He--, if he went there and it looked complicated he may head to a still site alone for the night. He really wanted an evening to relax with no strings attached to anyone.

Several hours later Luke was cleaned up and headed out to the Boar's Nest.

Luke checked the parking lot. Cindy Mae's car, Midnight, The Judge nor the wrecker were in the lot. Luke sighed in relief. He walked in the simi filled bar and took a stool at the far end of the bar. He wasn't with anyone, didn't expect anyone, and furthermore, hoped he wasn't bothered by anyone. Luke ordered a beer from Charlie and began sipping on it. If Luke was going to set at the bar he preferred this stool he could see the entire place, the front door, the door to Boss's office and not have anyone behind him. Luke watched the crowd. Ernie was there mildly pestering his newest girlfriend. There was several other couples carrying on private conversations at tables. A couple tables of other guys Luke knew and one table of girls that Luke went to school with. Then, there was Luke and three other guys at the bar. Luke let his thoughts go back to his earlier conversation with Lori. Why hadn't he been able to tell her what he really wanted. For them to be able to go out if they chose too or if they decided to go out with someone else then the other wouldn't start a war. Maybe it was because Luke had tried to tell her that before, maybe because Luke had tried to go out with other people and Lori had started a war. He-- she was at a Motel with Vance which is what started this whole bet mess in the first place and Luke still hadn't had THAT conversation with either of them. He was begining to relax and enjoy just thinking as he ordered his second beer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At the garage Billy Ray asked, "So, ah, Lori what do you say we head to somewhere a little more relaxing while Cooter here works his magic on my car and we can talk?"

Lori said, "Ah, the only place I can think of is the Boar's Nest and..........."

"That sounds good to me!" Billy Ray jumped in.

Lori nodded and plastered on a fake smile and said, "Sure, why not?" Frankly she could think of several reasons why not and they all ended with the name of 'Duke'.

They took Midnight and headed off. Billy Ray was talking but Lori was trying to figure the odds of none of the Dukes being at the Boar's Nest. She sighed a bit. They were good odds. As Lori pulled in she thougth she had gotten lucky. NO Dukes vehicles could be seen. Of course she had missed sight of Luke's car hidden by the delivery truck. Lori felt a bit better as she and Billy Ray walked in to the bar.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luke was on his fifth beer when Lori walked in with none other than Billy Ray Johnson. For a second Luke felt like he had been kicked in the stomach, but remembered this was what he was tring to tell Lori he wanted. He nodded their way and took another sip of beer.

By the time Lori seen Luke his eyes were on her. She knew he seen her, he had nodded to them as if nothing was wrong. She decided that the was no point in leaving now.

Billy Ray found them a table and they took their seats. Lori knew many eyes were watching her with Billy Ray and Luke for his reaction....................

Lori wimpered and hung her head letting it plop on the table. Billy Ray got up and went to go get them beers.

When Billy Ray returned he could feel Luke's eyes staring straight at Lori over his shoulder. Lori was tensed and nervouse, Billy Ray didn't know why. He smiled to her and took her hand, Lori would look at him, then at Luke, him, Luke, him, Luke. She didn't know what to do now.

Billy Ray heard whispers and what not spreading around him,"Guess Luke'll win the bet after, all...Lori sure is lucky, got two men at one time!"

Billy Ray looked to Lori and then to Luke and asked,"So uh, whos this other man, and what bet?"

Lori looked to Luke and she explained the situation to Billy Ray who then proceeded to get up and go over to Luke, tapping his shoulder, Luke turned around and met Billy Ray's fist.

Luke........

Lori hadn't been the only one tense. Though Luke had been relaxed and enjoying himself, that situation had changed as soon as Lori entered the bar. Luke had tensed and been ready for anything. He had seen Billy Ray heading his direction, so when he turned and Billy Ray had swung, Luke was man enough to take one punch, now it was self defense! Luke was up and dead after Billy Ray as the other costomers hurried to get out of the way of the fight.

Behind the bar Charlie watched. He had the CB base station he could call Rosco but much perferred a good fight unless it got too bad of too much furnishings were being broken up.

Billy Ray who had been trained by the Marines was suprised at Luke's lightening quick reflexes and powerful bunchs. Had he not been tring to defend himself from this assault he would have been impressed by Luke. But rigth now he was busy falling through a table and a couple chairs.

At Lori's table she seen what happened and held her head over the table. She shook her head and sighed. She had a good mind to just LET them fight it out maybe one or the other would knock some since into the other.

Charlie shook his head as another table was broken.

Cooter had just pulled up hoping to stop trouble before it started. He noted Midnight out front and no sigh of Luke until he started through the door. Parked to the side was Luke's car. "Dang IT! Some days you can't shove it into second, EVEN if you double clutch it!" Cooter said and he prepared himself for anything before entering --- that is he thought he had until he entered the bar.

Meanwhile B.L had gotten brave enough to go home, she wanted to see what sort of trouble Dixie had managed to find home alone. Pulling into the yard she saw Uncle Luther's and Dixie's both vehicles, going in the house Uncle Luther was no where in sight and there was nary a sound in the house either. B.L grinned and wondered if Dixie had managed to get herself killed for some indiscretion. Going through the downstairs not finding anybody B.L went upstairs looking there was nobody up there either she thought until she heard muffled sounds coming from Dixie's room she knocked and opened the door slowly to find Dixie face buried in her pillow crying.

"What's the matter Dix ya sick?"

Dixie shook her head and said into the pillow not looking at B.L "Dad whipped me"

Well this revelation nearly knocked B.L on her fanny Dixie was the one that rarely got taken to the woodshed compared to her,Lori and Cooter. Going into the room B.L sat on the edge of the bed and asked

"What for?"

Dixie: "Cos Uncle Jesse caught me and Bo in the barn foolin' around"

B.L: "Holy Smoke girl! After all this with Lori and Luke and the bet you STILL went to the barn with Bo? What'd Uncle Jesse say?"

She had a pretty good idea of what Jesse had said or rather did about it. Dixie nodded to answer B.L's first question and then with a shakey breath answered the second.

"He...whipped us B."

B.L winced and creased her brow two in one day no wonder Dixie was still in tears. B.L however didn't feel sorry for Dixie long it was her own fault she knew better than to be in that barn with Bo after all the trouble between Luke and Lori lately. Getting off the bed she swatted Dixie's sore behind once then ran like the devil himself was after her as Dixie jumped up stiffly trying to give chase. Giving up part way down the hall though Dixie picked up one of B.L's tennis balls that had somehow gotten out into the hall and chunked it at her bouncing it off the back of B.L's head.

"Better keep that in yer room afore Dad sees it laying around fer somebody to trip on."

B.L rubbed the back of her head and whirled around on Dixie cussing the younger girl for hitting her in the back of the head with the ball. Then grabbing it where it had bounced off and rolled back out into the hall she tossed it in the corner of her room and slammed the door turning on her stereo loud. Dixie went back to her own room and turned up her own stero with both going it was so loud the windows was rattling.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back at the Boar's Nest......

Back at the Boar's Nest Cooter saw Billy Ray and Luke fighting and pulled Luke off of Billy Ray. Billy Ray was up and ready for more as Lori stepped up and started to open her mouth but was interrupted by Luke spouting off at her,"SOOO I TRY TO STAY AWAY FROM YOU AND TRY TO NOT HURT YOU AND YOU SICK HIM ON ME??"

Loir stepped up, hands on hips,"HE JUST CAME INTO TOWN I NEVER EXPECTED YOU TO BE HERE!!!! MY GOD ITS A SMALL WORLD HERE CASE YA AINT NOTICED??!! HURT ME? TRY NOT TOO???? OHHHHH YOU'VE DONE AND BEEN THERE AND DONE THAT... OHH WAIT YOU MEAN HURT ME WORSER THAN YOU DID BEFORE??!!! MY HEART CANT POSSIBLE BREAK THAT MUCH!!!"

Luke shook his head and looked to Lori, what he was about to say would be the hardest thing hed ever say to her, he wanted her like no tomorrow and wanted to be with her... but,"WELL IF I'VE HURT YOU SOO MUCH THEN WHY DONT YA STAY AWAY FROM ME??!!"

Lori shook her head,"GOOD!!!! I GOSH DANG WILL!!!!"

Luke tore out to the door, as Billy Ray knelt down on one knee and proposed to Lori, Cooter was shocked and bewildered, Cooter dropped to the floor, when the words,"Will you marry me," left Billy Ray's mouth Luke stopped dead at the door, and Lori lied.... it killed her to answer,"Yes I will...."

When she answered Luke's eyes was filled with tears but he never cried, he shook his head and left. Lori had tears in her eyes and never cried...two people in one town who want each other more more each day of that bet..had just lost everything they had, but ya know they say absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Billy Ray got up and hugged her, Cooter whispered in her ear,"You don't want to do you?"

Lori just looked at him..

~~~~~~~~~~

Luke was on his way to a still site in a hurry thinking.........

Lori just looked at him and said with a weak smile and a quivering lip, "Sure I, ah, ........ do,....... Cooter." She found the words hard to say even now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cooter stepped out side to check on Luke, but all that he saw was a cloud of dust in the air from where Luke had backed up and burnt the car around and headed out of the parking lot. Cooter wondered where he was headed since he was not headed toward the farm. Cooter reached for the CB, he wsa a bit worried about Luke, "Lost Sheep One this is Crazy C. Come back." He heard no reply. He called again, "Come on Lost Sheep, dang it answer me."

Luke sighed, greabbed another gear, then the CB mic, "Yeah Crazy C."

Cooter said with concern, "Hey, don't know where you are headed, but want some company?"

Luke really didn't want company, but he felt that it really wasn't good for him to be alone right now either. "Sure, Coot. Meet me out on Rt. 11. You'll see me!"

Cooter said, "10-4 be there in two shakes of a lamb's tail."

Luke was still driving hard. He was only looking forward as he fishtailed through a series of 'S' curves. A flash of light hit his back window just before the flash of blue lights were seen and the siren heard. Luke cursed a string of profanities that would like made Jesse blush and reached for the CB, "Crazy C, I'll be on the danged side just ahead of you. Slow down!" On another day Luke may have tried to shake Rosco, but he knew he'd been pushing his luck since he'd left the Boar's Nest and he'd looked at his gas gage and it was too close to empty to enter into a chase.

Cooter heard Luke's tone of voice and heeded the warning by slowing way down,"What'd you do now?"

Luke stopped his car and waited for Rosco in all his glory.

Rosco got out and looked to Luke who had a pissed expression on his face, Rosco never wasted no time either giving him the ticket, Luke paid up and sped on. He took Cooter to a still site that no one knew exsited cept fer him.

"Luke, I don't know anymore."

Luke looked to Cooter where as then he proceeded to go and get the shine, they sat and talked for long hours in the night.

Luke looked to Cooter,"Coot, Iknew me and her fought but did she hafta do that?"

Cooter looked to Luke confused and said,"Luke,,I thought you didn't wanna get invloved with her like that."

Luke sighed,"I trust you coot.. Me and Lori click. I dont know how or why but we do... Since I made this bet with Luther, she's been on my mind all the time and i want her Cooter, not just her body, I want HER.... God I guess the sayin goes, dont know what ya got til its gone, I just didn't want to get too serious, I thought that the bet had or would change things I guess not though.."

Cooter sighed and nodded,"Well Lukas... I can tell ya this much..she aint wantin to marry Billy Ray..."

Luke said,"Well why'd she go and get herself in that mess then?"

Cooter had to laugh,"Cause shes a Davenport."

Luke.......

Luke fell over laughing and said

"You just explained a whoooole lot Coot"

Cooter scratched his head and made funny face not sure what he'd just explained all he'd said was Lori was a Davenport. He asked

"Explained what?"

Luke got up shaking his head at Cooter saying while still chuckling "Never mind Cooter"

Cooter shrugged and took a drink of shine and they went back to talking about everything in general.

Luke had drank more shine than he had in a long time. Cooter had been sippinghis and was feeling good, but he was keeping a watchful eye on Luke when he asked, "Cooter why can't we stay away from each other? I mean I can tell you that I don't want to get serious. We can break up and I'll go the the Boar's Nest. Lori walks in and we have War War III! Why?"

Cooter scrated his head and,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile, Lori was.................

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cooter cratched his head and sighed,"Luke... I don't know, you and her and everyone else knows theres something there, its all about timing now.."

Luke nodded,"Yea yer right bout that."

they continued to drink.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lori was in her room when Luhther wlked in,"I guess Luke'll win that bet after all??"

Lori looked to Luther and said,"Uncle Luther, I....ah....yea he will, i dont care."

Luther left and never spoke to her.

Lori rolled over in her bed staring at a picture of her and Lukem she put the picture away and softly cried herself to sleep.