I agree. Two things saved season 5 and actually made it worth watching. The rest of the cast (of course) and the writers. The quality of writing didn't drop off thank goodness. Bo and Luke's absence wasn't really Coy and Vance's fault so I try not to blame them. I'm just glad our boys came back. When those shows aired originally we were really sweating it. "Welcome Back Bo and Luke" is one of my favorite episodes. I'm gone.

I saw it lots of years ago when it was aired here in Italy; initially, when I saw there were the episodes with Coy and Vance, I stopped to see it.

But one time I thought "why not?" and saw them! Not very bad, actually, but I didn't remember them very well. One day I'll see them again on dvd.

"Welcome back Bo and Luke" is a very beautiful episode.

I was mad when I heard they were replacing Bo and Luke and refused to watch the show. I was ten at the time, what did I know about show biz politics LOL. I started watching again when Bo and Luke came back. I had only been watching the show at the time cause of Luke anyway:oops: But I recently bought season 5 and although it doesn't have Bo and Luke, it isn't a bad season. The actors did try and bring something to the show, even though they were cast to be off the wall replacement. There was some overacting in some scenes but all in all Coy and Vance did all right. I don't mind watching those episodes with them, but I was glad when John and Tom came back.

Ditto. The writing was actually pretty good when looked at objectively, and the "new cousins" weren't truly horrible... not our boys, but not horrible characters for the most part. There was definitely some overacting at first but they seemed to grow out of it (at least Coy did.... lol). If someone wanted to, there could probably be some good story written around those two, backstory and the like. For example, Vance always struck me, for some reason, as being Duke-blood but maybe Northern-born? Like he was used to more gentility... more money maybe... kinda (very) out of place in the backwoods? And Coy's just a lovable kid... lol. I think if the show had focused more on the things that made them unique - their own strengths and weaknesses - instead of trying to make them like Luke and Bo, they wouldn't have been half bad.

Their story could fit with the rest of the series if you wanted it to. After all, it was never said that Jesse raised those two... just that they were family. The Hazzard trio of cousin/siblings stays intact... believeable enough if you can get past the first "wait a minute!" reaction, lol.

I've got to agree that there's some good episodes in there, makes you wonder what they would have been like with John and Tom in them instead. I'd like to have seen how those two played off each other in something like The Great Insurance Fraud. As far as I'm concerned, Byron Cherry wasn't too bad an actor, but Christopher Mayer came across as rather wooden. At the end of the day they were both fighting a losing battle from the start, being cast as identikit characters rather than characters given their own personalities. Also, again down to the way the characters were written, weren't they just that bit too ideal. Just two people getting on well, all pleasantness and smiles. Compare that with the characters of Bo and Luke, so many sideswipes at each other and witty sarcasm, much more what you would naturally expect from two characters who are meant to spend so much time together.

Someone answer a question for me, was Cletus's departure ever explained? If it was I've got no recollection of it.

I've got to agree that there's some good episodes in there, makes you wonder what they would have been like with John and Tom in them instead. I'd like to have seen how those two played off each other in something like The Great Insurance Fraud. As far as I'm concerned, Byron Cherry wasn't too bad an actor, but Christopher Mayer came across as rather wooden. At the end of the day they were both fighting a losing battle from the start, being cast as identikit characters rather than characters given their own personalities. Also, again down to the way the characters were written, weren't they just that bit too ideal. Just two people getting on well, all pleasantness and smiles. Compare that with the characters of Bo and Luke, so many sideswipes at each other and witty sarcasm, much more what you would naturally expect from two characters who are meant to spend so much time together.

Someone answer a question for me, was Cletus's departure ever explained? If it was I've got no recollection of it.

The only mention of Cletus I recall after he left (during the series of course as he was in the reunions) was that he was in Atlanta at a training class. But that wouldn't explain him being gone the last 2 1/2 seasons.

I enjoyed the episode with Coy and Vance. The acting was not very good at times but they were very likeable, handsome guys. Vance being my favourite hottie of the two.

Welcome back Bo and Luke is a really neat show. I remember way back then watching the opening credits and yelling BO! LUKE! THEY'RE BACK! MOM MOM THEY'RE BACK!!!! LOL

I was fun to see the four cousins together. I didn't like the way the dispatched Coy and Vance before the first commercial break. I would been fun to see them have one adventure all together. 4 Dukes boys..poor Boss. LOL

• 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...