General's odometer

RogerDuke

I just noticed on the General Lee's odometer in Carnival of Thrills (part 2) it said 32047 miles. Coincidently the General's license plate starts with 320 and they were practicing for a 32 car jump. Anyhow, has anybody else ever noticed any other odometer readings in any other episodes? 32,000 isn't many miles for a car that was 11 years old at that time...unless the odometer had turned over. Since we don't know alot about the General before the episode "Happy Birthday General Lee" I wonder if anybody would care to speculate if it's 32,000 or 132,000. I'm gone.

General wasn't 11 years old at the time of Carnival of Thrills as in season 7 Happy Birthday, its his 8th birthday. Therefore in carnival of thrills, General Lee would have been only 4 years old but even so 32,000 seems fairly low...i'm not sure. You have to remember that the car was totally rebuilt from the engine up by Bo and Luke in the flashback in Happy Birthday and so the miles would have been reset when they put the new engine in.

My thinking was that the General is a 1969 and Carnival of Thrills is from 1980 which is 11 years later. You are right though in the respect that he wasn't known as "The General" until the Dukes and Cooter rebuilt him. In regards to the odometer going back to zero with the engine being rebuilt, I'm not sure that's correct but maybe a mechanic (hopefully Cooter is home on this Hazzardnet) can settle it. I'm not going to bet you though. I already lost one buttermilk to you in a bet I lost. I don't want to loose another one. Possum on a gumbush, I'm gone.

Honestly, it is very a low reading for how much running around the cousins did, even if it were reset when rebuilt. To be frank, sorry to break through the fantasy, I'm usually all for settling canon points in the Hazzard world, but odometer readings are hard to fake, even for film. I'm sure in other episodes, various stunt cars had a wide range of odometer readings.

• 1 month later...
Honestly, it is very a low reading for how much running around the cousins did, even if it were reset when rebuilt. To be frank, sorry to break through the fantasy, I'm usually all for settling canon points in the Hazzard world, but odometer readings are hard to fake, even for film. I'm sure in other episodes, various stunt cars had a wide range of odometer readings.

I would tend to agree.

• 2 years later...
I just noticed on the General Lee's odometer in Carnival of Thrills (part 2) it said 32047 miles. Coincidently the General's license plate starts with 320 and they were practicing for a 32 car jump. Anyhow, has anybody else ever noticed any other odometer readings in any other episodes? 32,000 isn't many miles for a car that was 11 years old at that time...unless the odometer had turned over. Since we don't know alot about the General before the episode "Happy Birthday General Lee" I wonder if anybody would care to speculate if it's 32,000 or 132,000. I'm gone.

in "the rustlers" when the general is racing the horse, you see a shot of the dash and odomitar, reading about 32,??? miles, and it could of turn due to less than 15 or more yrs ago the odomiter reset after 100,000 miles, so you dont know if there is a "1" in front of the 32.

"you got the one and only snowman, and i'm eastboud and down!"

• 3 weeks later...

With as many Chargers that were used during the series I doubt any odometer readings were accurate that you could see in a camera shot. You gotta remember they used more than one car. It's not that easy to turn back the odometer on one either,you have to tear the entire instrument cluster out and remove the speedo gauge itself and tear it somewhat apart,on top of that it's technically illegal to do that.

• 2 months later...

I agree with Tim, and of all the things I thought I paid attention too , detail wise, that is the one thing I missed and never thought to look at, the odometer...

The reason I probably ignored that detail is, I ignore it even when I a buy a used vehicle. Odometer means nothing to me when buying a car, it's what the engine sounds like, does it burn oil on start up and things like that.

• 4 weeks later...

Back in the day,it was tough to find any car that approached anywhere near 100,000 miles.My guess is that a lot of the cars WB sourced came from (guess where) California,and they didnt have to drive far in their lives to get to where they needed to go.So,you could go a lot of years and not rack up more than 30K,40K,50K miles.Now try East Coast where you have to travel hundreds of miles a day to get anywhere.

• 1 year later...

I know this thread's a bit old, but I've just noticed the General's odometer in the Reunion movie. You see it briefly when the General first gets back on the road and it reads 24819.1. Does this mean it's done about 93k miles since Carnival of Thrills, or has someone wound the clock back just over 7k miles?

I suspect the reunion movie was written by a professional writer (or writers) with no input from fans.

If they would have gotten input from die-hard fans, someone like you or I would have probably caught that, since the serious fans pay more attention to detail than anybody.

I suspect it was just something that was overlooked. That's to be expected considering that they had more important things to worry about. Even if someone would have brought it up during the filming someone would have just pointed out that it wasn't that important and nobody will notice.

Little did they know that nothing would get past the Dukes of Hazzard Ninja, Hoss C.