Horses as a Hobby

reneelillibridgeCNH320

I go and visit the mare I had to sell, the stud is in a different holler, but same county as me. And I would give our horse hay. Hay usually fattens mine up, though we had the same problem with two of our horses, feed him twice a day as well, once in the morning and in the evening. Other than that, I'm not sure. When our mare did that, she had worms.

Hi Lori!

Thanks for getting back to me, I had a hard time finding the thread, I wasn't quite sure where it was written! :-P Thanks for waiting!

I'm glad to hear that you still visit your mare, that's great. Does she nicker at you when you go and visit? I bet that you bring her a treat when you go over there, right?

About Champ. I have offered him hay, but he's kind of picky and he won't usually eat hay until there is snow on the ground. :p I also feed him two times a day, but I'm thinking I may have to go back to three times a day. We added some Weight Builder to his diet yesterday, so I'm going to see how that works for him. We did test all the horses manure at the vet's lab, and they gave the horses a clean bill of health, there are now parasites I guess. It's just really weird. Cherokee and Champ both had diarhea, and I've been having it at about the same time as they are. The horses and myself have lost weight, but yet everyone else at my place (including horses and people) are perfectly healthy. You would think if it was something catchy that someone else would have picked it up after two months or so. It's just really mind boggling. Okay, probably more than you wanted to know, right? :-P I may just have to put Champ out in our hay field everyday for a half an hour or so.

How are your horses doing?

Talk to you later!

Laura Duke:D

Hey Lori!

You are SO smart! I'm impressed! You have been so much help, I can't thank you enough! :p

Champ is actually a pony. I'm not sure of his weight right now, I'll have to check it sometime. I know that he is underweight for my liking.

My heart really goes out to you. That must be so hard having to see your horses on the bus everyday. I mean, it's probably great seeing them, but I bet you miss running out in the field and saying "Hi" to them. You are a tough gal! How are your other two horses (was it Trigger and someone else?) at your place doing? I'm so thankful that you were able to keep two of them, I'm sure that comforts you a little.

• 2 weeks later...

DukesFan_08: Only 10 years old?!? That horse was so young! And, I'm sorry it had to go like that-by a broken leg. I just can't imagine....I really am sorry for you having to go through that. What a shame.

You know....it seems like everyone heals a little better when they have another horse around them to take care of, which makes sense. And, no, I don't think that it sounds goofy that you kind of dedicate the day he passed away each year. I think that is so sweet of you. You obviously have a huge heart for horses. I think that is so neat. Maybe you could add to that (not to sound bossy or anything)? Instead of dedicating a day to him just for mourning, if you know his birthday, you could get some special little treats and think of him on his birthday, kind of laugh about all the funny things he did when he was around. Or, maybe that isn't a good idea for you, I'm not sure....just a thought. ;)

Okay, well, again, I can't thank the both of you enough for everything you have suggested and told me. It's kind of weird how all this stuff happened to us, and yet we kind of our comforting one another, I think that's kind of neat.

Well, have a great rest of the day!

Whoa, I haven't checked this topic in a while! :p Sorry. Aww, thanks. lol that's a cool idea... I think of him and remember him every day. :)

Edited by DukesFan_08
Fixing a typo...

• 1 year later...

Dukesfan, I can honestly understand your pain now. Losing a horse, is like losing half of who you are. I lost my miniature pony on the 14th of this month and I'm still balling my eyes out over it. I didn't think it would be this hard, though I knew it would be difficult. The saddest thing was, I had to find out at school...and by the time I got home, they had him buried. We saved his halter. He died of old age, I grew up with that horse ever since I had been knee high to a grasshopper. It was really hard on me.

We were thinking of selling Trigger, my rocky mountain, since he's getting up in the ages too, but I just can't go through with it, if I sell Trigger, then I'm done for.

The fact that I thought it was Arabian at first glance was the size of the head. Arabians usually have small dispositions since they originated from the Middle East. An Arabian is built for endurance, hence small head, elogant neck, small hooves...etc.

The build of copper matches that of an American Quarter horse, hence why I'm sticking with that answer lol.

You're quite welcome. Horses is my forte, so I normally know what I'm talking about there lol.