We need to boost Tom...

BoJamesDuke

Calling all Luke Duke and Tom Wopat Fans!

This is so sad, in a radio interview Tom has said that he doesn;t feel his character and role as Luke Duke is as well recognised or as, in some way suggesting Luke wasn't as important, as Daisy and Bo!

It made me so sad to hear that and I think we need to tell him just what we think!! Come on, lets hear some support!

What!!?! What in the world makes him feel like that? He as much a star of the show as John was.

I did notice that, in general, the younger ladies (mid-20s and under) like Bo more and they tend to be much more vocal about their admiration but it doesn't mean the slightly older generation that likes Luke more (we like the fellow close to our age I guess) likes him or Tom any less.

Am I making sense? Big weird looking sentence I made. LOL

I am surprised at his remarks. Clearly Luke was always the one to bail everybody out with his brains and ability to make decisions under pressure. Without that, the show couldn't have existed or everybody else would have been in jail and Boss would have owned thefarm. Even considering how wise Uncle Jesse was, it was always Luke that solved the large majority of the problems. A good argument could be made that he was the most important character in the entire history of the show.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Growing up my buddies and I would often "play" the Dukes of Hazzard and I also wanted to be Luke Duke. He always came up with the plans, was a great fighter and did most of the dangerous stunts. To me he was the epitome of cool on the show. Between Luke's coolness and a major crush on Daisy (Daisy was the first crush for many guys) the Dukes were must see tv. In my opinion, he was indeed the backbone of the show.

As I have stated before, growing up when we playing the Dukes I always wanted to pretend I was Luke. In my view, all the characters were essential to the show. You could make an argument that Luke was the center of the cousins because of his intellect and he did most of the dangerous stunts. Obviously Daisy was a crush for most of us and Bo was the younger, slightly wilder Duke so he had appeal from what I recall with teenage girls, but Luke was that older "brother" who in my view was the epitome me of cool. He had a quick wit and in many ways was the protector of his younger, wilder cousins. He was vital to the show. Bo was more of a hothead but Luke's more rational maturity was the one that often saved the Dukes. He seemed to in some ways take after their Uncle Jesse a little bit more.