Would you have raced luke?

RogerDuke

Here's a tough ethical question for you. On September 18, 1993 Tom Wopat came to my small northwestern Pennsylvania town to give a concert at our fair. Of course I met him afterward and got a couple autographs, pictures etc. Before the concert, he pulled up to the stage by himself driving a Chevy Suburban type vehicle (I'm not exactly sure what it was). After the concert, I was pulling out of the gas station and (you guessed it), he came driving by all by himself in that same vehicle. Since I was going the other way I just said to myself "Wow, that was cool seeing him one last time" and continued on my way. Half way home I realized, I should have followed him and passed him just to exaggerate and say I beat Luke Duke in a race. I just blew a chance of a lifetime. My question is this..what should I have done if he would have started racing when I passed him? The easy answer is to say "race" but then there's the possibility of the unthinkable happening (no, not me losing)..Tom getting hurt or worse. My question is, what would you have done if he started driving fast? Possum on a gumbush. I'm gone. RogerDuke

To be honest, I don't think he would have taken you up on that race. Tom was never the driver out of him and John and he admits that and I think after the show and everything he probably would have just wanted to take some time out and enjoy a hassle free ride home. I wouldn't even think about going after him nd trying to get him to race because it would not only increase the possibility of him and me getting hurt but it just makes him stand out as a celebrity more. If you saw some random person in a car the same as Tom's you wouldn't go race him, why should Tom be treated any different just because he was on a television show?

anyway back to the question, if he had started driving fast I wouldn't have carried on. he would have probably done it for a joke or to humour you and it would have been fun to have that kind of personal banter. But I would hang back and just be content in the know that Tom had paid attention to me and that we shared that moment instead of risking either one of us getting hurt.

To be honest, I wouldn't have raced either. I would have made an attempt to pass him (in a safe legal manner) just for fun, but if he would have accelerated, I would have chickened out at risk of hurting someone. It was nighttime out and that added to the danger. I posted the thread because I was curious what other people would have done. Thanks for your response. Possum on a gumbush. I'm gone.

• 2 months later...
To be honest, I wouldn't have raced either. I would have made an attempt to pass him (in a safe legal manner) just for fun, but if he would have accelerated, I would have chickened out at risk of hurting someone. It was nighttime out and that added to the danger. I posted the thread because I was curious what other people would have done. Thanks for your response. Possum on a gumbush. I'm gone.

I don't know about that right there, I had passed up a chance to meet Tom way back in 1989 I was too shy. I kinda wished I would've talked to Tom eighteen years ago but I was thirteen years old at the time. Well, it that was my younger brother he might've taken the chance I remember watching him drive and he cut off a RTA bus with his 1991 Ford Probe. I would love to see either him and John on Dancing With The Stars that would be intersecting in the least part.

• 1 year later...

Would I have raced Luke IF he ever did pop up the notion to race someone, maybe let the child come alive in him?? hmm...psssh yea!! then Id try to kidnap him hehehe :innocent: then get thrown in jail of course.. but! *bravely speaks* its a chance im willing to take!

ANYWAYS... yea I woulda tried to race him, just because at times I can be one of the stupidest people on earth and will do anything just for the thrills. And besides, wouldn't it be cool to say,"Hey! I raced Luke Duke!"

til the question,"Well...did you win?" pop up then it wouldn't be so cool, just be humiliated then...

But, you ARE talking to one who has no death perception :p

If it were on a safe road and enviroment for racing...such as a race track...I would love to race Tom - he would definately win, but it'd be fun trying at least.

As for Garrett...he'd race Luke anywhere and anytime if or when he is given the chance and given both of their driving abilities...it'd be hard to say who would win or lose in that race. ;)

I've thought long and hard about this. Here is what I would have done. I would have passed him by and when I was far enough away pulled off to the side of the road put the hood up, made some tears come to my eyes, and waved him down to help the poor little country girl with car trouble; get him to give me a ride into town, borrow his handkerchief to wipe my tears (and conveniently forget to give it back muahaha):rofl:

Course he'd probably pass me by with my luck...lol

• 2 years later...

Thanks RogerDuke! Interesting question...but I would probably follow BoJamesDuke and just let Tom go home in peace after a long day and especially at night.

You should ask him yourself though if you can -Tom Wopat will be logging on to his Twitter channel to answer questions this Thursday 4/28 at 11pm / 8pm PST. Follow him here (http://www.twitter.com/wopatofficial). Would be interesting to hear his opinion if you did try to race him :)