Schneider/Wopat slammed for 'racist' show

John and Tom's appearance with the Cincinnati Pops was canceled because of pressure from people who think "Dukes" had "racist overtones."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usnw/20070315/pl_usnw/singers_canned_by_orchestra_because_of_classic_t_v__show

http://www.cootersplace.com

You can contact the orchestra to protest here:

http://www.cincinnatisymphony.org/Verify/contactus.asp

In my opinion, this is f****** ridiculous.

This is outrageous! I mean people are going to far with this Confederate flag BS. However I can believe it because when I was in high school, the high school wanted to ban all shirts, decals or any kind of appearance of the Confederate flag. The student body however fought back and won.

Our argument was that the Confederate flag is a symbol and that it's interpreted how ever you want to interpret it. To some, it's a racist symbol, to others, it's a sign of heritage and rebellion that harrows the idea of freedom to fight for what you believe in, and even if you know you may loose the battle. To take that freedom of expression away from someone is just as much bigotry and hate as the idea of racism in the first place. It's also taking away a person’s right to express without harming anyone, which is the first amendment of this great nation, which so many have forgotten.

I read the article from the Akron Beacon and I have to shake my head in dismay when I read this one phrase and I quote:

But Edith Thrower, president of the Cincinnati branch of the NAACP, said she was contacted a few weeks ago by Pops conductor Erich Kunzel who told her that someone had suggested that a plan to refer to the TV show in promoting the performers' appearance would be offensive. He wanted the NAACP's reaction, she said.

"I contacted our national office and was advised that it would be best if we didn't support an effort like this," said Thrower. "It's very clear how we feel about the Confederate flag and the long and arduous fight we have conducted to get rid of that symbol of a very unpleasant time in our history."

Ok, hold on here, it's a problem because you feel it's a problem. That is the problem with political correctness. Sometimes political correctness is needed but when it's in extreme like this case, it's no better than its solutions! Racism and bigotry is a feeling a person has about a race of people. It's obvious that the knee-jerking political correctness crowd is no better because they are making unfair judgments about a TV show (which they probably have never watched).

We Duke Fans aren't hurting anyone. Just in our theme song it even says, "Just a good old boys, never meanin' no harm...†We like the culture of the South, and for the Cincinnati orchestra to say they don't want to celebrate southern culture is just as bad as the idea that Confederate flag is a symbol of hate and everyone who displays it is a bigot. Now that is racism right there, and I tell you, racism does go both ways. Anyone who is educated on the matter should know that fact.

People really need to stop being so uptight about what is and what isn't.

Stick a fork in me, cause I'm done...

Val Strate

That is soooooooooooo not cool! i live about an hour or two from Cinncinatti and i heard about it on the news. why should they be punished for someone elses wrong doing a hundred years ago?They didn't use the flag to promote racism on the show, it was just to show the pride of the south. Besides, it made the car look good=D anyways, I think this is outrages and will try to find out more of the story (if any) behind this.